Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terribly bored, pretty much have stopped playing...

RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

I hit level 80 in a little over week on Guild Wars 2.  No, that wasn't me rushing either.  I stopped to get 100% on quite a few of the maps and even decided to work on the tedium that is crafting.  I farmed mobs for cloth, and other supplies...  However I find myself bored with the game now.  I'm level 80 and I'm wearing full exotic armor, with an exotic one-handed sword, axe, and a rare two-handed sword as my secondary...  The thought of grinding dungeons for tokens to get armor just isn't appealing in any sense.

Problems I'm facing:

Dungeons aren't entertaining, the storylines presented with in them were trash.  It actually made me hate the entire group of Destiny's Edge rather then care about them in any meainginful way.  After reading the novels this was a terrible let down.  Dungeon rewards as it stands are also terrible and simply aren't worth doing.

Personal Story, I've taken the story to the level 74-75 mission where I'm on the verge of brinign down the Mouth.  The storyline as a whole isn't very interesting but the supporting characters they've got me with make it to where I'm not even remotely interested in finishing.  It's my opinion, sure, but to me...  It just wasn't what I thought it would be.  The story is extremely generic and this is proving to be one of the main issues for me.  If I'm not interested, or invested in the world I'm playing in...  What's the point?

Guilds serve no purpose -  Being able to join multiple guilds killed any sense of community that I've felt in previous MMOs.  EQ, EQ2, World of Warcraft...  I was proud to be in a guild, because we were all working towards the same goals as a group.  Half of the time when I look in guild I see that very few are actually representing.  Terrible system.

I like to complain about games.

Comments

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

Well perhaps move on to a new game?  Sorry but this is what alot of people are going to tell you, there have been many of these posts already.  When you don't feel the need or want to log into a game then maybe the game just isn't for you, it is THAT simple.

There is the October event and supposedly new things coming in November, but again nobody is forcing you to play.  If I don't like a game  I just look for something else.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    if you dont mind me asking, how many hours have you logged ingame in the last ~6 weeks?
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

I don't mind, probably over 90 hours easily.  The two weeks I played for hours, leveling, doing events, all that jazz.  Though I had  Gallbladder surgery like 2 weeks ago so I didn't play at all, but I didn't find myself missing the game either.  Which was a shame.  

Honestly the game itself is fine, I enjoy the combat, I like the mechanics.  It's just the generic storyline, lack of rewards for completeting difficult tasks, and a community that is SO inclusive that it's actually becoming anti-social that is killing the game for me.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Then you could do the following:

a) go back to WoW

b) if you want good story and play WoW in space, play SWTOR instead

c) if you want great story, innovative mission mechanics, monthly mission packs, GW2 type combat plus WoW type endgame, play TSW

d) if you want something completely different in a sandbox but without story, play EvE

e) if you want to quit MMORPGs alltogether you might want to try Planetside 2 Beta or go for Borderlands 2.

f) in any case, you should also play X-COM Enemy Unknown because it´s gonna be great :D 4days and counting...

Originally posted by Yakamomoto

a) go back to WoW

c) if you want great story, innovative mission mechanics, monthly mission packs, GW2 type combat plus WoW type endgame, play TSW

d) if you want something completely different in a sandbox but without story, play EvE

e) if you want to quit MMORPGs alltogether you might want to try Planetside 2 Beta or go for Borderlands 2.

f) in any case, you should also play X-COM Enemy Unknown because it´s gonna be great :D 4days and counting...

A.  WoW is boring, I've been done with that game since the start of Cata.

B.  I didn't enjoy SWTOR either because of the graphical style.  It wasn't Starwarsy enough for me!

C.  TSW was actually an extremely fun game and I'll admit to loving the storyline because I enjoy H.P. Lovecraft and other works like that.  However I didn't think the game was worth the 15 dollars a month.  The combat, while fun, was still kind of generic.

D.  I've tried EVE multiple times.  I can't get into it!

E.  I might end up taking a break from MMOs just because the genre is extremely boring right now.  PS2 looks fun, Borderlands 2 looks entertaining as well.  I didn't mind the first one.

F.  I already have it pre-bought on STEAM.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I feel you.  I haven't played in almost a month.  It was fun the first week or so but I quickly got bored.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ridrith

a) go back to WoW

B.  I didn't enjoy SWTOR either because of the graphical style.  It wasn't Starwarsy enough for me!

C.  TSW was actually an extremely fun game and I'll admit to loving the storyline because I enjoy H.P. Lovecraft and other works like that.  However I didn't think the game was worth the 15 dollars a month.  The combat, while fun, was still kind of generic.

E.  I might end up taking a break from MMOs just because the genre is extremely boring right now.  PS2 looks fun, Borderlands 2 looks entertaining as well.  I didn't mind the first one.

Try Borderlands 2 and/or Torchlight 2.  Both are excellent.  If you want a more competitive game, try World of Tanks.  Its FTP with a microtransaction system that isn't too punishing for free players. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I don't mind, probably over 90 hours easily.  The two weeks I played for hours, leveling, doing events, all that jazz.  Though I had  Gallbladder surgery like 2 weeks ago so I didn't play at all, but I didn't find myself missing the game either.  Which was a shame.  

Honestly the game itself is fine, I enjoy the combat, I like the mechanics.  It's just the generic storyline, lack of rewards for completeting difficult tasks, and a community that is SO inclusive that it's actually becoming anti-social that is killing the game for me.

just passed over the 200 hour mark(across all characters) and highest character is still in the 50s.. storyline varies for me found some a lot better than others.. although I just did the Battle of Claw Island and thought it was one of the most enjoyable story sequences I have ever done in a MMO.. very fun battle and very sad as well. I haven't really had much issue with community hell half the people I talk to on a daily basis are from these forums alone.. my chat is going nonstop between my guild and the people from these forums.. like any game it's what you make of it but so far after 200 hours still going strong.. perhaps some of the coming changes will get you back into it:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

a) go back to WoW

Great posts - both of them.

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167
    Ridrith your not the only one feeling this way after I hit 80 I started checking out what GW 2 really had to offer and what it ended up being for me was that GW 2 is nothing more than Disneyland Online. GW 2 should be shut down an redone cuz this can't be the game they invisioned for us GW vet's to play.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

A. I agree... same here

B. Agree on that too but I think there might soon be a SWTOR revamp with space combat, at least I´m still hoping to give the game another chance then. I also miss the Star Wars feeling in TOR.

C. Well, with the current TSW monthly update pace and regular events like yesterday on Huldra dimension , it was worth a lifetime sub for me. Can´t wait for the actual Halloween event to start:D And the upcoming NY Raid and Tokyo !

D. EvE is awesome. Still playing approximately 4 months a year. I just love scanning and exploring the galaxy, mining and trading and the whole complexity. Perhaps try some tutorials like this one and give it another go?

E. Well not all of them, I´d say EvE and TSW are the refreshing alternatives. Also look out for "World of Darkness" by CCP, might come any year between now and 2015....

F. YEAH!! X-COM !!!! :D

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    I feel you.  I haven't played in almost a month.  It was fun the first week or so but I quickly got bored.

Same here, I'm even starting to get bored with TSW.

DAoC used to be my old standby -- the one I always went back to after tiring of playing the overhyped MMOs coming out. Now it seems to be Rift.

I'm staring to think MMO developers no longer have the ability to create fun and interesting games. :-(

Oh well, Storm Legion should hold my interest for a while. Otherland looks like it might be worth a look, but everything else...nah.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It's still going strong for me. Just hit 70 with my main. Maybe it's because I really enjoy the PvP. Been doing tons of it, and plan to keep doing it for a long time

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

just passed over the 200 hour mark(across all characters) and highest character is still in the 50s.. storyline varies for me found some a lot better than others.. although I just did the Battle of Claw Island and thought it was one of the most enjoyable story sequences I have ever done in a MMO.. very fun battle and very sad as well. I haven't really had much issue with community hell half the people I talk to on a daily basis are from these forums alone.. my chat is going nonstop between my guild and the people from these forums.. like any game it's what you make of it but so far after 200 hours still going strong.. perhaps some of the coming changes will get you back into it:)

417 hours accross all characters, one level 80 in full exotic gear, and still not seeing the end of it.

And I can't wait for the halloween event too :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

417 hours accross all characters, one level 80 in full exotic gear, and still not seeing the end of it.

Sweet baby Jesus!  Thats 17+ days of playing in just over a month!  I can almost smell the murdered time from here.

Yeah there's no way I'd throw 17 days away.  Haha, that's another one of the reasons I think I'm starting to slowly move away from MMOs.  They're built to be time sinks, with or with out grind.  I'd rather play through a single player, or multiplayer experience with a good storyline for six-twelve hours and call it a day.

I think I'm just starting to grow out of that mindset, GW2 is good though because if I feel the need to actually log back in one day I can with out having to pay a sub fee.  So at least there's always that.  :)

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Wow.. how the hell you people manage to sink so many hours in a video game? between my job, wife and friends, keeping myself fit and playing sports...all i can manage is 1 to 2 hours a day. 

Originally posted by halflife25

Wow.. how the hell you people manage to sink so many hours in a video game? between my job, wife and friends, keeping myself fit and playing sports...all i can manage is 1 to 2 hours a day. 

heh 200 hours is a lot for me I had some all day marathons on the weekends when I could but yea 400+ is a LOT of hours but guess if i didn't have full time job and family I could do it. I try to get a few hours in a night if i can

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Yeah there's no way I'd throw 17 days away.  Haha, that's another one of the reasons I think I'm starting to slowly move away from MMOs.  They're built to be time sinks, with or with out grind.  I'd rather play through a single player, or multiplayer experience with a good storyline for six-twelve hours and call it a day.

I think I'm just starting to grow out of that mindset, GW2 is good though because if I feel the need to actually log back in one day I can with out having to pay a sub fee.  So at least there's always that.  :)

yup and without the tiered gear treadmil coming back in 6 months wont  hinder you and you can just enjoy whatever new content they implement.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Do what you have to do to get into the PS2 beta. 

It was strange thing for me OP. I played the game much the way you did minus dungeons plus spvp, wpvp, and a little faster  I was having a blast until about the 250 hour mark, and level 50. It was really harf to log in after that pont. All I saw was a mountain of more of the same.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ev1lb0bev1lb0b Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I am in the same boat. My main already has 1 full set of dungeon gear and I am starting on my 2nd. I log in now and tend to flounder around unsure what to do. I tend to spend most of the time either running the same dungeon paths over and over again as no one seems to want to run anything outside AC or CoF or I sit at the AH flipping stuff mindlessly making 20 odd silver per transaction for I dunno what purpose, there's nothing I want to buy. The game has great bones, there's no doubting that but I think I, like many others, are trying to play this like a traditional MMO which I am starting to realise it isn't.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

To be honest, I think you just play too much. If you reached 80 extra fast in a week, that's still at least 10 hours a day. If I played a game that much, I'd get bored, too. So far, I've played GW2 for around 150 hours since the early access weekend and I still enjoy it a lot. They need to fix Orr's DEs and dungeons' difficulty need some adjustments, but that's about it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Do you guys remember when some people got all skill pointed up in TSW, then said it was the same old thing grinding dungeons for better gear? Isn't it the same thing in GW2? Grinding dungeons to get exotics?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Do you guys remember when some people got all skill pointed up in TSW, then said it was the same old thing grinding dungeons for better gear? Isn't it the same thing in GW2? Grinding dungeons to get exotics?

problem with TSW is it only has a single path for the story.. playing character of each faction aside from your faction quests you are doing the exact same story so it really limits replayability.. in GW2 i have 5 characters and each one taking differn't zones to level through and each have a differn't story to follow.. have you tried doing Polaris all decked out in QL10 gear? its a joke.. you tried AC explorables all decked out in high level gear? to me this is a big difference in how content is presented in each game

• splitcoldsplitcold Member Posts: 73

Guilds serve no purpose -  Being able to join multiple guilds killed any sense of community that I've felt in previous MMOs.  EQ, EQ2, World of Warcraft...  I was proud to be in a guild, because we were all working towards the same goals as a group.  Half of the time when I look in guild I see that very few are actually representing.  Terrible system.

I hate this part too. The rest of the game is fun, just couldn't make it past a few levels for a 2nd character.