Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is there to do in EVE besides pvp?

KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
does it have PVE content? quests, npc's, normal mmorpg type stuff?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
—Lao-Tze

Comments

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Short answer, yes.

Long(er) answer, yes. It has a rather large amount of pve content, however it's the pvp that's the real driving force.

Missions are your basic quests, but there are also things such as exploration, DED sites and incursions which are all pve focused (disregarding low- and nullsec versions of these).

In other news, they're boosting "basic" AI soon(tm), such that the pve content is more engaging.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Quests are basic kill these, fetch these, deliver these, PVE-combat is click orbit, hit F1-F4 and go cook some potatoes.

I've heard alot of good things about EVE "endgame" corp stuff, pvp etc, but i just couldn't make it past 2 month mark... just way too boring and tedious in general to my flavour.

My pvp experiences were: trying to go exploring / mining = gatecamped and blown to bits (and this wasn't even 0.0)

and yes, i was in a corp that did pvp and stuff, i was just way too gimp to help out (you need to plan your skills like a month ahead if you want to be viable "quickly" )

Joining a corp is a must! unless you want to be a high-sec miner (which no-one should be :D)

Would help out a bit if you'd give a little bit of you MMO history, likes and dislikes.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

A better question would be what isnt' there to do.

You trade (buy low sell high), fufill contracts, offer a transport service, mine, PVE, explore, invent, create(crafting I guess), and basically whatever you can do in most other MMOs and more.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Exciting PvE content?  No, maybe high end wormhole excursions where you need a corp for an operation to do it in.

EVE is a PvP driven and focused game.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I like getting the pvp crowd huffing and puffing about having a pve only server?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

Oh i forgot if you work at foggy bottom applying to Goonswarm might be another hobby for now.

MAGA
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

That is an awesome image, made me laugh :)

Edit: the first one

• TolandToland Member CommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Fusion

and yes, i was in a corp that did pvp and stuff, i was just way too gimp to help out (you need to plan your skills like a month ahead if you want to be viable "quickly" )

Yes it is good to plan out  yoru skills months ahead... but to say you're to gimp to PVP is udder bull and if your corp told you this, then they just don't know what they are talking about...

Straight out of the box new players can be helpful in like a day or 2 flat. Everybody needs tacklers. They are a must. and you can get a decent tackler frig in 2 days at most.

The best example of this would be the alliance named Goonswarm back when they just started... bunch of "noobs and gimps" a lot of straight out of the box characters in Frigates, and they took on the biggest powerhouse (Band of Brothers) in EVE at the time and eventually won. (There is way more to this story and very simple generalization of it all would take a book to tell you the whole thing)

Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

That is an awesome image, made me laugh :)

Edit: the first one

I would have paid money to see the report filed and the Sgt. or Lt's face.

MAGA
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Toland

Yes it is good to plan out  yoru skills months ahead... but to say you're to gimp to PVP is udder bull and if your corp told you this, then they just don't know what they are talking about...

Straight out of the box new players can be helpful in like a day or 2 flat. Everybody needs tacklers. They are a must. and you can get a decent tackler frig in 2 days at most.

The best example of this would be the alliance named Goonswarm back when they just started... bunch of "noobs and gimps" a lot of straight out of the box characters in Frigates, and they took on the biggest powerhouse (Band of Brothers) in EVE at the time and eventually won. (There is way more to this story and very simple generalization of it all would take a book to tell you the whole thing)

Tackler frigs, so much fun...

My previous post still stands.

Giving potential players false hope is imo, sad.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

It has PVE content, but most of it is easily the worst you'll see in any MMO.

That's not even to knock Eve per se -- there are plenty of reasons to knock Eve, IMO, but this isn't one of them -- it's just that PvE not only isn't the game's focus, it's an afterthought at absolute best.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

There sure is alot more to do other then pvp. I hve been living in a class 4 wormhole for 6 1/2 months now just making money. I do occasionally have to fight off a few random players that happen to find the entrance to my worm hole every now and then. I have about 8 bill in my tengu right now and saving some moneys for a new ship for my alt. 

I love my worm hole! 

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Originally posted by drtack1

There sure is alot more to do other then pvp. I hve been living in a class 4 wormhole for 6 1/2 months now just making money. I do occasionally have to fight off a few random players that happen to find the entrance to my worm hole every now and then. I have about 8 bill in my tengu right now and saving some moneys for a new ship for my alt. I love my worm hole! 

what does 'livining in a class 4 wormhole" mean? what do you do there? how are you making money? what kind of things can/do you create that people buy?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Toland

Tackler frigs, so much fun...

My previous post still stands.

Giving potential players false hope is imo, sad.

so try a dps frig instead, and your previous post.. rubbish,  level 3 skills take at most a few hours to learn, and i've never been in a pvp corp yet that didnt rely on having a whole bunch of people in frigs to help tackle, scout, the one thing the game does need though, and which some find hard to accept because its in short supply, is intelligence, and imagination. those are your most limiting factors. image

• TrikkeTrikke Member Posts: 90
    The only other thing to do in eve is scam other players. Eve is the must beautiful boring game I have ever played.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Kenze
    Originally posted by drtack1There sure is alot more to do other then pvp. I hve been living in a class 4 wormhole for 6 1/2 months now just making money. I do occasionally have to fight off a few random players that happen to find the entrance to my worm hole every now and then. I have about 8 bill in my tengu right now and saving some moneys for a new ship for my alt. I love my worm hole! 

what does 'livining in a class 4 wormhole" mean? what do you do there? how are you making money? what kind of things can/do you create that people buy?

Living in a class 4 wormhole means, that you're living in a solar-system that is not listed on the map. People need to find these systems by exploriation and scanning them down.

In those systems you find valuable PvE-content, however you need to build your own infrastucture to make good use of it. You basically need to build yor own home-base in there, where you can craft some stuff that's needed.

The things you can create from doing the PvE-content in these wormholes are T3-parts/ships and these sell very well.

Be careful tho, as you can aswell be ganked in these wormholes and see your hard work being destroyed. However it's actually the most rewarding thing to do in EvE, when you're interested in PvE.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Here are a few links for you:

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    ...and when DUST 415 comes out there will be even more sand in the sandbox.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Don't play EVE only for PVE - you will be disappointed if you do.  

PVE is a way to get some money or a way for some distraction. 

Main thing in EVE is politics, PvP and crafting / economy.  Also soloing in EVE is not really interesting unless you have very specific mindset.  So joining a corp sooner or later is a must imho to have fun. Can be small one.

EVE can be great game, but it is not for everybody AND most importantly it is not PVE game.  It has some PVE content and you might (or not) have some fun with it, but it is not main game.

• kupopookupopoo Member Posts: 8

What is wonderful that I have found about EVE is that even if you get bored with the content, the community may keep you playing. I suggest finding a nice community to fully enjoy the social side of EVE Online.

If you post on redit alot you may join "Test Alliance" I know they are a friendly bunch.

Friendly Industrialist

• XodenXoden Member Posts: 10
    The social aspect is definitely the most interesting for me. Being part of a big corp and feeling part of something is a great feeling.

www.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by fenistil

Main thing in EVE is politics, PvP and crafting / economy.  Also soloing in EVE is not really interesting unless you have very specific mindset.  So joining a corp sooner or later is a must imho to have fun. Can be small one.

EVE can be great game, but it is not for everybody AND most importantly it is not PVE game.  It has some PVE content and you might (or not) have some fun with it, but it is not main game.

Yet, oddly enough, players spend roughly 70% of their time on PVE activities and I'm in fact running incursions where many players are doing nothing but PVE every day and night.

Now if you said EVE has no traditional raiding like a theme park MMO I'd agree with your assessment, but EVE has quite a few PVE activities actually, which are in support of PVP at the end of the day its true.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Yet, oddly enough, players spend roughly 70% of their time on PVE activities and I'm in fact running incursions where many players are doing nothing but PVE every day and night.

Now if you said EVE has no traditional raiding like a theme park MMO I'd agree with your assessment, but EVE has quite a few PVE activities actually, which are in support of PVP at the end of the day its true.

Did not knew that.  I played EVE years ago lately, so maybe I have outdated hmm impression.

Then I admit mistakes and Kenze listen to Kyleran and other EVE vets then. Seems PVE in EVE gotten stronger over the years.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Did not knew that.  I played EVE years ago lately, so maybe I have outdated hmm impression.

Then I admit mistakes and Kenze listen to Kyleran and other EVE vets then. Seems PVE in EVE gotten stronger over the years.

No need to apologize, PVP is and will always be the main focus of EVE and all PVE is oriented to supporting this, even if only indirectly.

If you've been away for awhile in the recen  years they added Wormhole space, Incursions and Planetary Interaction all in the efforts to shore up the traditional PVE activities of Mission running and Mining. (They even beefed up missions with epic story arcs and Level 5 missioning)   One could also argue that WH's are a mix of PVE / PVP since they intertwine so much.

But you are correct, EVE PVE is by no means facinating, but some of us enjoy focusing on it and make PVP our sideline occupation. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by kupopoo

What is wonderful that I have found about EVE is that even if you get bored with the content, the community may keep you playing. I suggest finding a nice community to fully enjoy the social side of EVE Online.

If you post on redit alot you may join "Test Alliance" I know they are a friendly bunch.

Agreed. getting into a corp or one of the many sub communities really changes the game.

Here's a link to some of the corps looking to bring in new players:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Educational_organizations

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre