Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Ten reasons Fallout 3 is the best RPG ever made.

adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSPosts: 2,073Member Uncommon

Yes, by now it's semi-old, but even today, via Facebook feed of the Vault wiki, I learn things I never knew, and I've played the game through several times, with hundreds of hours.  Most games you play that much, you are looking at serious repetition of 10x the same scenarios or more.  Exploring and doing everything, I probably only found the same areas or did the same quests 3 times, each with different builds.

 

Anyone who has used the vault as a resource knows that just based on that, the game is massive, like no other game has ever been, and probably ever will be.  New vegas impressively had about 75% as much content, and skyrim probably had about 75% as well.   And you can tell the difference based on wiki pages and articles available between the games. Find any other game with as many articles denoting all the different items, gameplay mechanics, areas, quests, npcs, etc.  You can't, it doesn't exist.  It's possible it never will, though I hope that's not the case.

 

I know bethesda has a lot of haters, but F1 and F2 were really very small games, though good, compared to F3 and it's just easily the king of the open world rpg.  Onto the list...

 

1.  Mesmetron

2.  Mysterious stranger

3.  Tenpenny Tower

4.  Reilly's Rangers

5.  Harold in Oasis

6.  DC post-apoc... the mall, the washington monument, lincoln monument...

7.  hacking, lockpicking, speech checks, skill-based dialogue options

8.  reverse pick-pocketing to change armor and blow people up

9.  3 dog

10.  Tranquility Lane

 

I could do this ten times and not run out of cool stuff about the game.  If for some reason you haven't played it... don't let time turn it into one of those old games that are awesome but impossible to get into.  As someone who's always gaming, I've still missed out on a lot of good rpgs that I just didn't know about 15 years ago.

 

Comments

  • madazzmadazz A town, ONPosts: 1,564Member Uncommon

    I got bored of Fallout 3 on every playthough I tried. I enjoyed it for hours, but always seemed to lose interest. I still think its a great game, and no doubt one day I'll boot it up again and actually finish it (I do this with some games lol).

     

    With that said, you can reverse pick pocket to change peoples armour? I didn't know that, and honestly, it sounds exceptionally dumb to me! Not my cup of tea and I probably wouldn't use the feature in the game either way. If I've misunderstood, my bad!

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    I thought new Vegas was better than 3
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Yeah you can pickpocket people and plant live mines on them.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    I thought it was pretty fun.  I didn't care for VATS at all though.  The reason I stopped playing is when I was exploring I wandered into an area for the main quest far ahead of time, and that broke my main quest so I couldn't continue it.

    El Psy Congroo

  • WolfenprideWolfenpride San''doria, WIPosts: 3,988Member
    It was pretty good. Even better with FWE. A lot of people seem to prefer New Vegas, but I felt F3 was more open ended/more rewarding to players who liked to explore.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yeah you can pickpocket people and plant live mines on them.

    The first time I did that was that goul trying to get into Tenpenny Tower. I snuck up on him while he was arguing with the gaurd on the intercom, slipped a frag into his pocket and what happened next was pure comic gold. I never laughed so hard over a gruesome death in my life. image

     

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • CastillleCastillle KhobarPosts: 2,703Member Uncommon

    Add another one.  Extremely scary.

    This was my reaction after spending like..20 ish minutes in the vault where you hallucinated n stuff. Oh dont judge me! I was stuck in there and couldnt find a way out! >.<

    ''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

  • madazzmadazz A town, ONPosts: 1,564Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yeah you can pickpocket people and plant live mines on them.

    See thats kinda cool. But I don't like physically changing a persons clothes lol.

  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

    I am not hating Fallout 3 (and Nev Vegas) they are good games. 

    Fallout 1 & 2 were just diffrent and imho much better.

  • XtenXten over there, KSPosts: 119Member
    Originally posted by adam_nox

    Yes, by now it's semi-old, but even today, via Facebook feed of the Vault wiki, I learn things I never knew, and I've played the game through several times, with hundreds of hours.  Most games you play that much, you are looking at serious repetition of 10x the same scenarios or more.  Exploring and doing everything, I probably only found the same areas or did the same quests 3 times, each with different builds.

     

    Anyone who has used the vault as a resource knows that just based on that, the game is massive, like no other game has ever been, and probably ever will be.  New vegas impressively had about 75% as much content, and skyrim probably had about 75% as well.   And you can tell the difference based on wiki pages and articles available between the games. Find any other game with as many articles denoting all the different items, gameplay mechanics, areas, quests, npcs, etc.  You can't, it doesn't exist.  It's possible it never will, though I hope that's not the case.

     

    I know bethesda has a lot of haters, but F1 and F2 were really very small games, though good, compared to F3 and it's just easily the king of the open world rpg.  Onto the list...

     

    1.  Mesmetron

    2.  Mysterious stranger

    3.  Tenpenny Tower

    4.  Reilly's Rangers

    5.  Harold in Oasis

    6.  DC post-apoc... the mall, the washington monument, lincoln monument...

    7.  hacking, lockpicking, speech checks, skill-based dialogue options

    8.  reverse pick-pocketing to change armor and blow people up

    9.  3 dog

    10.  Tranquility Lane

     

    I could do this ten times and not run out of cool stuff about the game.  If for some reason you haven't played it... don't let time turn it into one of those old games that are awesome but impossible to get into.  As someone who's always gaming, I've still missed out on a lot of good rpgs that I just didn't know about 15 years ago.

     

    I nevr played it for longer then 3 hours so i dont even have a clue of the significance of that list :3

  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by adam_nox

    I know bethesda has a lot of haters, but F1 and F2 were really very small games, though good, compared to F3 and it's just easily the king of the open world rpg. 

    F1 and F2 were not small, unless you're referring to the game world size. But those games were massive successes and known to all RPG fans.

    They're easily the better RPGs. Arguing that F3 was a better open world exploration thing you might be able to debate, but it was not a better RPG than F1 and 2.

  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Dallas, TXPosts: 953Member Uncommon
    Personally, I still adore Fallout 2 the most, but I liked New Vegas much more than Fallout 3. Most of my enjoyment has to do with the amount of content that exists, character permutations, weapon or ammo types, and expanded factions.

    "This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

  • SneakyRussianSneakyRussian ?????, SCPosts: 54Member
    Originally posted by Castillle

    Add another one.  Extremely scary.

    This was my reaction after spending like..20 ish minutes in the vault where you hallucinated n stuff. Oh dont judge me! I was stuck in there and couldnt find a way out! >.<

    /judge /judge /judge

  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar bangorPosts: 468Member
    I couldn't get into Fallout 3 and I got addicted to New Vegas. I find New Vegas was better because it was actually related to Fallout 1 and 2, taking place in a similar area and making plenty of references to the previous games. They placed Fallout 3 on the otherside of the country and having pretty much no relation to the rest of the series. Also many of the original Black Isle developers worked on New Vegas.
  • MundusMundus BerlinPosts: 237Member
    Originally posted by fenistil

    I am not hating Fallout 3 (and Nev Vegas) they are good games. 

    Fallout 1 & 2 were just diffrent and imho much better.

    This.

  • Originally posted by madazz

    I got bored of Fallout 3 on every playthough I tried.

    Same. It didn't really entice me much. I think there are a lot of RPGs that are much better. Ultima VII, Baldur's Gate, Skyrim to name a few.

Sign In or Register to comment.