Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

+1 copper above the vendor price on the TP

XtenXten Member Posts: 119

Why do people keep putting items onto the TP for 1 copper higher then the vendor price when it actually costs them 2 copper to do so ? Why do people keep  doing this?

At first i thought this would be something that would settle after a while but now im starting to question if i am missing something here and that there is good reason to do this since this seems to still be a very popular use of the TP.

I dont see it though,  items that makes 14 copper on the vendor for instance are being sold for 15 copper on the TP which would cost the seller 2 copper just to put it on there and eventually nets him a result of -1 copper on the whole deal. Are there really that many people that are unaware of this?

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Its because people can put things on the AH from anywhere in the world. Its a convience feature that saturates the market with vendor trash. However, it has its benifits if you like to gamble. 4 green items can be turned into yellow items at a certain % by using the mystic forage. I've gotten some pretty good weapons/armor doing this, and some unique skins. ANET said they are looking at ways at reducing this, but chances are they won't remove the ability of selling items to the AH directly from your inventory. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Its because people can put things on the AH from anywhere in the world. Its a convience feature that saturates the market with vendor trash. However, it has its benifits if you like to gamble. 4 green items can be turned into yellow items at a certain % by using the mystic forage. I've gotten some pretty good weapons/armor doing this, and some unique skins. ANET said they are looking at ways at reducing this, but chances are they won't remove the ability of selling items to the AH directly from your inventory. 

I am not entirely sure if i understood the convenience part right tbh. Do you mean it is being used as for the convenience of emptieng your inventory from anywhere from the inventory?

If so it would be as fast as simply destroying those items on the spot and actually save you money as oposed to selling them at a loss in the TP.

(again i am not really sure i understood what you meant there : )

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049

If an item can be sold for 53 copper you put it up at 54 you get back 52 copper as opposed to nothing should you destroy it.

Myself I just carry a lot of salvage kits if I run out of inventory space I break it down instead.

Chamber of Chains
  • SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Isn't trading items on AH one of the social achievments? Could be the reason.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Xten

Why do people keep putting items onto the TP for 1 copper higher then the vendor price when it actually costs them 2 copper to do so ? Why do people keep  doing this?

You'd be surprised how little understanding many people have of basic math, let alone business and economics. With minimal effort, you can make a fortune in GW2.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

there are merchants everywhere in each zone

you can even sell craps with karma vendors

so there are tons of options to sell craps

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98

a lot of it is probably from botters

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I am not entirely sure if i understood the convenience part right tbh. Do you mean it is being used as for the convenience of emptieng your inventory from anywhere from the inventory?

If so it would be as fast as simply destroying those items on the spot and actually save you money as oposed to selling them at a loss in the TP.

They are not selling it at loss.   It is only loss if you compare it to selling at NPC.  
    Some  people don't want to go to NPC even if it is close and prefer to earn less at AH than spent minute to go to NPC.

Some people prefer to sell something at AH for 4 coppers than go to NPC and sell it for similar price. Even if it is higher.

+ bots are propably using it as well.

Remember whole concept of trade, not only in mmorpg but also in real world is all about time. 

Imagine you want apple.  You don't have to go buy it.  You can try to find some seeds, plant an apple tree, care for it and in 1-2 years you will have your apple.   Or that you want piano.  You could go search libraries for books about making pianos and spend akit if time learning how to make it and do it

It is same thing in mmorpg's.    More coneniant and faster crafting there is more people will be crafters and people will be more self-sufficiant, supply / demand ratio won't be good and crafting will be just easy fast side-game like it is in most mmorpg's.

Same with auction house and prices.  If you make global AH and give an ability to post items on AH from anywhere then people will swamp AH and sell items at really low cost.  Why?

Item price won't contain time you need to spend going to traditional AH to post them.  + there will be less supply because many players won't bother to go to AH personally and just sell at NPC.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Why would I walk all the way to an NPC just to gain 1 copper?

Originally posted by Loktofeit

You'd be surprised how little understanding many people have of basic math, let alone business and economics. With minimal effort, you can make a fortune in GW2.

That's also true. More centralized trade is easier is to make money off fools.

In GW2 global cross-server post from anywhere trade is centralized more than in any other mmo so it is even easier than in games like WoW or Swtor.

Still many people prefer to sell item at in example 3 coppers (in example npc price 2 coppers + 1 cooper) and pay 2 coppers for AH, essentially earning 3-2 = 1 copper, than going to npc and earn 2 coppers for same item.  

It is conscious decision mostly as you save bit of time that you would spend running to nearest NPC.  It's not losing money it is earning less in order to "save" time.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    They should just make minimum price higher than the vendor price o.O

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

It already is :)

Read topic "+1 copper above the vendor price on the TP"

Besides even if AH would allow selling it cheaper than vendor price - I don't really get what you would want to achieve by increasing minimal price above vendor? (like it is atm)

Originally posted by fenistil

They are not selling it at loss.   It is only loss if you compare it to selling at NPC.  
    Some  people don't want to go to NPC even if it is close and prefer to earn less at AH than spent minute to go to NPC.

Some people prefer to sell something at AH for 4 coppers than go to NPC and sell it for similar price. Even if it is higher.

+ bots are propably using it as well.

Remember whole concept of trade, not only in mmorpg but also in real world is all about time. 

Imagine you want apple.  You don't have to go buy it.  You can try to find some seeds, plant an apple tree, care for it and in 1-2 years you will have your apple.   Or that you want piano.  You could go search libraries for books about making pianos and spend akit if time learning how to make it and do it

It is same thing in mmorpg's.    More coneniant and faster crafting there is more people will be crafters and people will be more self-sufficiant, supply / demand ratio won't be good and crafting will be just easy fast side-game like it is in most mmorpg's.

Same with auction house and prices.  If you make global AH and give an ability to post items on AH from anywhere then people will swamp AH and sell items at really low cost.  Why?

Item price won't contain time you need to spend going to traditional AH to post them.  + there will be less supply because many players won't bother to go to AH personally and just sell at NPC.

(my earlier comment about it being as convinient to destroy items as selling them for -1 copper was stupid of course)

A interesting point  although i must say i do not see this being a true issue for that in the game since i and i suspect most others run into a vendor between every 10 or 15 minutes or so. If i have a full inventory in the meantime i usually salvage the whites and blues and deposit those to use or sell later.

The mats that come out of these items usually generate a great more curreny then just the item itself and it clears up space depositing them in the meantime. salavaging also does not require meaningfull time then just dumping it at a loss on the TP. This also makes the loss made a great deal larger.

so i still dont understand why people do it but a interesting perspective nonetheless.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Folks who want to empty their bags while in the field might take advantage of this. Only reason I can see for it. Over time (let's just assume bots here) you would make plenty of money from never stopping in/spending time selling.

Personally, I rarely sell to vendors anymore. Usually just salvage for mats. Maybe the greens I get now and again because they are valuable enough to be a minimal source of income. I refuse to sell a green to someone on the TP buying at 1 copper over. Make a reasonabvle offer and I might sell.

When I buy or sell I make a reasonable differential to the going price(s). Let's say I have a piece of armor that people are requesting for 10 silver. The 1st seller is selling for 25. I usually put mine up for 18- 20. I make some money and people don't have to go to the next guy up. Too much to do to try to make money 1-2 copper at a time.

snap

(my earlier comment about it being as convinient to destroy items as selling them for -1 copper was stupid of course)

A interesting point  although i must say i do not see this being a true issue for that in the game since i and i suspect most others run into a vendor between every 10 or 15 minutes or so. If i have a full inventory in the meantime i usually salvage the whites and blues and deposit those to use or sell later.

The mats that come out of these items usually generate a great more curreny then just the item itself and it clears up space depositing them in the meantime. salavaging also does not require meaningfull time then just dumping it at a loss on the TP. This also makes the loss made a great deal larger.

so i still dont understand why people do it but a interesting perspective nonetheless.

Issue?    Well  you posted a topic about it, so I assumed you saw that as issue or was you just curious why people do it?

Anyway I suspect it is not only because of time to go to vendor, it is also less time spent on managing inventory and because it is path of least resistance.  Basically almost anything that will be more conveniant - many people will take more conveniant way.   Putting things on AH from anywhere in the world is most conveniant way to empty bags / sell items.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by cagar

Yep.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Castillle

It already is :)

Read topic "+1 copper above the vendor price on the TP"

Besides even if AH would allow selling it cheaper than vendor price - I don't really get what you would want to achieve by increasing minimal price above vendor? (like it is atm)

I more meant that even if you sell it at the lowest price in the TP, youd still get more than vendoring it or equal after taxes.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

snap

Issue?    Well  you posted a topic about it, so I assumed you saw that as issue or was you just curious why people do it?

Anyway I suspect it is not only because of time to go to vendor, it is also less time spent on managing inventory and because it is path of least resistance.  Basically almost anything that will be more conveniant - many people will take more conveniant way.   Putting things on AH from anywhere in the world is most conveniant way to empty bags / sell items.

I dont really see the importance of the issue comment. If i had a issue with it i would also naturally be curious as to why people do it and if i was just merely curious i would have in all likeyhood wondered if there was also a issue in there, a bit moot tbh. Even if i had a particular issue with it then what?

Well i just payed attention to the difference between salvaging the items (which actually makes quite a bit more money) and selling it at -1 copper on the TP which in comparison to selling salvaged mats is a whole lot more loss then 1 copper.

It actually takes less time and clicks to salvage granted you make sure you keep the kits on you.  You still could argue that you have to sell or use those mats later on ,using them does not add any inconveniunce to the point but having to sell the mats might be seen like that but since they all stack it all comes down to just selling a few stacks every now and then and make a whole lot more money at the same time.

Time taken / profit made ,salvaging is the way to go.

My conclusion as mentioned by "Loktofeit" earlier in the thread:

People are *not so clever* and un-aware and or lazy :)

i have no issue with their losses i was just merely curious as to what drove them to do it in this manner. My conclusion satisfies :3.

Thank you all for your input as it truly helped with my question.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Who's buying this junk? It seems to me most of this crap doesn't sell and is returned to the player. At best it is just being used to clear bag space, but then you still end up selling it to a vender later.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

At first i thought this would be something that would settle after a while but now im starting to question if i am missing something here and that there is good reason to do this since this seems to still be a very popular use of the TP.

I dont see it though,  items that makes 14 copper on the vendor for instance are being sold for 15 copper on the TP which would cost the seller 2 copper just to put it on there and eventually nets him a result of -1 copper on the whole deal. Are there really that many people that are unaware of this?

You're right.  And what's worse than it costing them 2 copper to post 1 copper above vendor price?  Well, how about the tax totalling 15% of the item price. 

Example:  Item Xsells 1s to vendor

Player posts Item X for 1s1c on trading post.

Item posts with a 5c price (5%).

When sold, the market takes an additional 10c (10%) from the sale.

Player gets 86c from the sell of the item.  An item they could have vendored for 1s.

Moral of the story?:  Players are dumbasses.

• tranceauftranceauf Member UncommonPosts: 29

Why so serious?  

Its a game.  I mean who really cares if a random person is missing out on a few copper...I play for fun not to penny pinch in a virtual world I do enough of that in rl.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its bots mostly that do this sadly.  Much easier to do while staying in their pathing routes.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by cagar

Yep.

You can blame a lot of things on botters, and it's tempting to do here because they are the ones who stick to an area farming and don't go to vendors,  but I doubt they are the ones who create this idiocy. Yes, they probably contribute to it since the easiest thing to automate would be to sell at either the highest current offer or lowest sale price.

But if I was controlling bots, even easier would be to deposit all collectibles for a hands-on sale at a profit later. They're in it for the money so it's unlikely they'll leave some easy coppers behind.

But these sales at a loss are just as likely to be happening with collectible items as not. I see it most often with a few jewels and cooking ingredients. Greens or better are usually sold at a slight to modest profiit and not many bother to put up blues or whites since they won't sell and salvaging them often gets you more--especially those things that salvage into cloth.

There are also sometimes clear simple attempts to manipulate the market: let's say iron is selling for 14 and you want to speculate with iron. You put up 100 iron at 8--even at a loss-- counting on it not being gone before someone else automatically joins you at that price by thoughtlessly selecting the "lowest sale price" option. You wait a few minutes and when there are 3000 iron selling at 8 you buy them all and when it goes back up to the normal 14, you dump it.

You can usually spot that scheme by going into the buy tab, finding (to use the above example) iron. When you click on it , you'll see all the different sale prices and the quantities, not just the lowest sale price. If you see a few at 8, 9, etc... and 300,000 at 14, you'll know that the fix is in.

Even though I vendor or TP everything, I deposit all collectibles and sell them later when I'm by a crafter station--for the bank tab. If the price is holding steady at 1 over the vendor price, I'll vendor it to the trades supply guy standing next to me. Otherwise I'll put it on the TP.

So when I'm out in the wild my only decisions are TP/Vendor/Salvage for non-collectibles and what to do with the bags and dyes...gamble or not?

Didin't start out to make this a TP hints and tips post, but there you have it   image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I usually sell all my "junk" to NPC vendors they are shattered all over the place, I only sell green items and shitloads of mats, doing pretty well income wise.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ThradiaThradia Member UncommonPosts: 12

I don't sell "junk" .. I save that for NPC vendors for the little that they sell for.  And I salvage a lot.  

BUT, I put things up for +1 and I am fine with taking the loss.  Mostly crafting things.  If I don't have a friend who needs it, why should I hold on to 100 iron ore? Someone else can use it and I don't feel like I need to use that stuff to make money.  I can sell other things for that.  I'm mining/gathering/chopping it anyway, it might as well go to someone who can use it. 

That's probably the only thing that I do put up for sale that way, but I don't feel bad about it.  It's not going to break my bank.