Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Original Game Shutting Down with Unholy Wars' Launch

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new blog post on the official Darkfall Online: Unholy Wars site contains information for current players of Darkfall Online. When Unholy Wars launches, the original game will shutter its doors. Player characters will not make the transfer but owners have been promised the 'viability' will move with them. Current subscribers will also be able to score DFUW for the price of a subscription.

So what happens to the old characters? We will preserve them for several reasons. One reason is to commemorate them in a Darkfall Online tribute/memorial after the original Darkfall is over. Another is to keep them for Darkfall related side-projects we are considering. We’ll give you more details on all this after the DFUW launch.

Regarding Darkfall Online, in its current form, we will shut it down to make room for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Read the full post on the Darkfall Online: Unholy Wars site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Sad to see her shut down, but I believe it is in Aventurine's best interest. I didn't start playing DF until early October 2009, so I wasn't around when all the early exploits were taking place. It simply didn't have the same effect on me as it apparently had on many of those who were there from the start. But it's understandable why so many left in frustration after the first few months.

I personally consider DF to be the most memorable and engaging mmo I have played thus far in the genre. This is coming from someone who loved the hell out of EVE for over 6 years. I never would have left Agon had it not been for the news of a "possible" (inevitable) wipe.

RIP DF, and I can't wait to create a fresh character in a new and enhanced Agon.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I must say I would rather see ALL mmos be on cycles. Tell a story for X years then restart from scratch. It would solve so many problems the genre suffers from. One of the greatest reasons why so many older mmos fail to attract players is because of a stagnant player base simply powerleveling alts which destroys the lower level community and content inflation which keeps pushing high level players farther away from new players and making previous content obsolete. Developers destroy their own concept themselves ... a self-imploding business model.

Tell a story ... get it over with ... start anew with improved engine and inspiration. Evidence is starting to show that reinventing your original IP and re-marketing it pulls in more money than continuing to re-sell the old product. Deciding when to do it could be tricky mind you.

I can't say this enough: If Turbine remade Asheron's Call into an AC Advanced with new tech and ideas but the same story and timeline (albeit freedom to change what they want) I would be throw all gaming money at them in a second. I know so many others who would do the exact same with both AC and other games they previously fell in love with.

There is a reason why the comic industry does exactly this over and over again. LEARN FROM THEM!

You stay sassy!

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

The problems you list, Tamanous, are mostly caused by level-locked content and the inability of new players to interact with veterans. Putting MMO's on a cycle wouldn't fix the fundamental problems that that causes.

A step in the right direction would be putting forth more horizontal progression instead of just the ladder progression that many single-player games and most MMO's tout. Allowing players to be able to play apart in the game environment at all aspects of play right from the get-go would be very desireable for lessening the gulf between veterans and newbies. Eve, even if not your cup of tea, does have many systems in place that encourage more freeform gameplay right from the get-go (e.g frigates, while being extremely fragile 1-on-1, can serve a supporting role in group play because they are harder to hit, faster, and cheaper than other roles).

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

What Mrcalhou is describing is a sandbox game (communication and clunky social mechanics are entirely another beast I have campaigned for improvements anyway). That is entirely defined by lateral content because players construct content included within the game. The issues possible could be resolved entirely or merely lessened. The problem is that most mmo's certainly are not described as pure sandbox games and Eve certainly isn't your typical fantasy mmo nor suffers from many of the issues previously mentioned. Despite the fact some may feel sandbox games are the epitomy of mmo evolution it is in fact simply a sub-genre. Not all mmos can be sandboxes nor do all players want them to be. Heavily story driven rpgs are not always best represented by wide open systems and alternative means of creating mmos will always exist (typically described as Themeparks but I don't want to over simplify or use the term as a broken concept which many imply when using it).

I should stress that the timeline to relaunch an mmo wouldn't be short. It would simply destroy a profitable product. It applies only to old, previously successful IP's which have benefitted from years of nostalgia. Eve isn't anywhere near requiring a relaunch. Wow still has enough numbers to not consider it. OU, EQ (EQNext already announced), AC and others (perhaps DAoC even or perhaps a more sandbox AO) which were defining original IPs for their companies would attract great interest by both their original fans and new ones. If they were smart they would even include such an event within the lore (hint hint Turbine).

There are IPs that were foundations to the genre, patterened most of the games since and still reside clearly in the minds of most mmo players (even those who never even played them) which can be resurrected in  fasion that both attracts new players and does not alienate the original fanbase. Even EQ's peak subcription in it's heyday is small by todays standards so a relaunch/re-envisioning has massive room for growth with todays market (considering this is basically what EQNext is ... a "reimagining of the world" we will have to see if indeed this is the right direction for developers). Also this does not always require shutting down the old games. EQ, EQ2 and EQNext are all planned to run side by side.

Currently DF is doing it  and EQ is doing it with EQNext. Attracting a playerbase nurtured from day 1 with all the benefits of attracting new players with a new launch is the golden egg for companies. Barring licensing issues three huge IPs that could be resurrected this way would be UO, AC and (considering all the passion and talk recently) SWG. If we suddenly heard that a 100% new tech SWG was about to relaunch the mmo community would suddenly explode with a digital, internet orgasm.

You stay sassy!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

That's because, really, this isn't a sequel, it's just a substantial update... marketed as a sequel for more coverage.

I do hope it's good though. I'll be checking it out.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

interested to try since there will be  character wipe and everyone starts fresh

although im such a carebear that i am always afraid to try this game

So What Now?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I can't say this enough: If Turbine remade Asheron's Call into an AC Advanced with new tech and ideas but the same story and timeline (albeit freedom to change what they want) I would be throw all gaming money at them in a second. I know so many others who would do the exact same with both AC and other games they previously fell in love with.

AC was my first MMO and I can't agree with you more. If there was any chance that I could have that gaming experience again I would throw all my money at it as well. I hope turbine is reading this and that they take action. Even if it was a failure in the long run I would still consider the 'chance' to be worth it. AC is the prime reason I'm on MMO sites like this.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by TweFoju

I can understand that but honestly, one of my biggest complaints with this game was just how easy it was to have the best equipment all of the time. Well, at least the guild I was in seemed to have an endless supply. It really made the game seem trivial and pointless to me. Since I'm more of a fan of the hoarding and building ala Eve and RTS games.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

No bs man...if you are a carebear...don't play it.  May be the most hardcore game ive ever played, most people really can't handle it, and if thats your concern going into it...you may kill yourself lol

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by mrcalhou

I can understand that but honestly, one of my biggest complaints with this game was just how easy it was to have the best equipment all of the time. Well, at least the guild I was in seemed to have an endless supply. It really made the game seem trivial and pointless to me. Since I'm more of a fan of the hoarding and building ala Eve and RTS games.

Ahhh, you mean it came down to skill?  Thats actually good thing...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    the Problem is not "being a carebear", but being a "i don't give a damn" bear... DF is much more biased towards groups than say eve ...
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I remember DF as being a good game - It was fun to carebear by keeping to isolated areas.

I'll be watching developments on this website.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

As someone who played from closed beta up untill 1.5 months ago, with a bigger bank then many players and maxed character (pre-x20 stat gains patch), I am happy with a full wipe.

The game needed a fresh start and fair first few weeks for all players. With so many changes, even vets will have to relearn a lot of aspects of the game.

However, a quick headsup to everyone looking to try the game at relaunch: Your priority is to look for a guild ("clan") for the game right away, preferably pre-launch. Look for existing DF clans and contact them on the DF forums, a lot of veteran clans WILL be looking for fresh blood and take you under their wing - as long as you are willing to give the game a good go.

You will then quickly learn what DF is all about aswell, something you won't learn when playing solo. You will also learn the DF community is very different in the 'clan' environment and not nearly as negative as some might think.

GW2 gate face-huggers need not apply, Darkfall is for players that can play serious and are capable of listening.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    So glad this is happening, I am looking forward to seeing how the game plays with the new mechanics. I wish the best for the company and give them a tip of the hat for not just giving up after their set backs
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This makes sense theyre a small company shotting down the old version gives them more room to support the new one.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

I read that some of you who posted above are AC fans. If you are looking for that kind of experience, check this project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1045484633/project-gorgon-an-indie-mmo-by-industry-veterans?ref=live

It's being done by former AC team members.

Eric Heimburg has over a decade of experience as a Senior and Lead Engineer on such products as Asheron’s Call 2 as well as being Producer for AC2. In addition, he has impressive credentials as an MMO systems designer, such as for an early version of the MMO Star Trek Online.

Sandra Powers started out at Turbine working as an engineer on Asheron’s Call 2, but quickly moved to Asheron’s Call 1 first as Lead Engineer and later as Producer. She also took on the role of Lead Game Systems Designer during development of the AC1 expansion, Throne of Destiny. After leaving Turbine, Sandra joined the EverQuest II team as Live producer. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• MoriteMorite Member UncommonPosts: 36

This is going to be awesome .. At least for a few month.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

hopefully a fenix will arise :) 

Best of luck now.

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Oh well, at least AV held their word NOT TO WIPE the DF servers...
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Darkfall was at it's best in the 1st few months IMHO, so I'm glad they did this and will be checking it out again after playing the original at it's launch and beyond.
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I think it is best for the game also.  Hopefully, DF:UW is better than DF1 at launch.  If so everyone who partakes will have a a very good first few months... which is more than I know I have had on any other game. 

Hopefully, the updates and changes attract some new players (no cry babies who want PvE only... it does not make sense for the game) . 

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

You CAN play DF solo and it's enjoyable if you like looking at maps and making strategic decisions.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Anyone can enjoy Darkfall. You just have to play the game! You won't regret it :) Best game ever.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm looking forward to DF:UW big time.  I stopped playing Darkfall almost a year ago, and with the news of the impending reincarnation, I subbed one more time just to get the feel of the game again.  Indeed, most fun game I've ever played.

In case some of you didn't see it there, AV said that they'll live up to their word - if you purchased a copy of Darkfall (full price, I believe, and not the promotional price they have currently), you pay only the sub fee.  Classy move, AV.  Good job.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Vannor

That's because, really, this isn't a sequel, it's just a substantial update... marketed as a sequel for more coverage.

I do hope it's good though. I'll be checking it out.

Actually, they rebuilt the game from the ground up. Obviously a lot of the concepts will be the same (thank goodness).