Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a bad joke.

Comments

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

The game's engine is actually designed to handle grand battles with teams consisting of as many as 100 members apiece, though it's possible that such numbers will change ahead of the game's eventual release.

Unfortunately, due to online latency, the combat system will not be the same real time combat the Elder Scrolls games are known for. The Stamina Bar will be the main focus in battles. Use the Stamina Bar to Sprint, Block, Interrupt, and break Incapacitating Effects. All these effects will vary by class.

Meanwhile: Planetside 2.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This will be a massive suprise hit.

I'm going the opposite.  I see it being a bigger tank than SW:TOR.  I truly believe the Zenimax Online Studios devs, especially Matt Firor, are utterly devoid of passion and creative thinking and full of cynicism about the current potential within the industry, and that attitude has shown through clear as day in every bit of promotional pre-release interviews/reveals they've done.

When the question is "Why use classes?" and the answer is "Because it's an MMO,' I immediately realize there's a disconnect somewhere in this exchange.  Maybe that's because my first MMOs were Ultima Online and Asheron's Call and I intrinsically don't believe classes are a requirement of an MMO.  For a man whose experience is entirely in the Everquest/World of Warcraft/Dark Ages of Camelot world view I can understand why he would think that.  That's what makes him a terrible fit for this studio, this project, and this IP.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Korusus
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This will be a massive suprise hit.

I'm going the opposite.  I see it being a bigger tank than SW:TOR.  I truly believe the Zenimax Online Studios devs, especially Matt Firor, are utterly devoid of passion and creative thinking and full of cynicism about the current potential within the industry, and that attitude has shown through clear as day in every bit of promotional pre-release interviews/reveals they've done.

When the question is "Why use classes?" and the answer is "Because it's an MMO,' I immediately realize there's a disconnect somewhere in this exchange.  Maybe that's because my first MMOs were Ultima Online and Asheron's Call and I intrinsically don't believe classes are a requirement of an MMO.  For a man whose experience is entirely in the Everquest/World of Warcraft/Dark Ages of Camelot world view I can understand why he would think that.  That's what makes him a terrible fit for this studio, this project, and this IP.

I expect it to do great, like the original, but everyone soon forget about it... like the original

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by kishe

The appeal of Elder Scrolls games are the fact they're sandbox type rpgs. Now what are we getting? Linear Themepark wow-clone using same engine as SWTOR.

In Elder Scrolls games you are free to do what you want, where you want, at your own pace...I just cant see that translating to traditional themepark setting that the zenimax is aiming for.

First off have you played the game?  Second have you even researched any of the concepts that will be in the game?

As a fan of the upcomming title I can honestly say you have done either.

Since when did linear means freedom to go anywhere?  You do realize the selling point of TES games is the freedom, and msot of that freedom is being carried over to the MMO version.  Freedom to go anywhere, freedom to pick what weapon you want to use (Mage with a 2h sword or a Warrior with a bow *Yummy*), freedom to choose different guilds (TES versions) to swear allegiance to, and freedom to adventure how you see fit.  Nothing about TESO "on rails" or linear except for the fact you cant kill whatever NPC you want (which is an idiotic thing to do anyway).  In fact the only feature that isnt being parlayed over to the online MMO is the freedom of class and freedom of picking your friends (its a 3 faction game) but both of those are being integrated into the MMO version via freedom of which weapon you choose and freedom of joining NPC sub-factions like the Thieves Guild or Bards College.

And dont even start about combat, first TESO is using a hybrid hotbar/tab targetting combat system similar to GW2 but with active blocking and secondly the FPS and left click to attack/cast combat system is possibly the most boring unimaginitive combat system to ever graced an RPG.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The bar has been set so low for this game that is a year minimum from releasing, how can it not impress?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    • Elder Scrolls Online will use a traditional class system rather than free-form character progression. (GI1)
    • Each class can use every type of weapon in the game, and the currently equipped weapon automatically determines the first two abilities on the player’s hotbar, a precise “light” attack, and a hard-hitting “heavy” attack respectively. As the player uses a particular weapon type they gain skill and further proficiency with that type of armament. All weapons will require practice to master. Mastering a weapon can unlock additional alternative melee attacks that can be slotted. (GI1),(GI11),(PCG1)
    • Each class can unlock a wide arsenal of skills and abilities, from which players may choose three to actively use at any given time. These class abilities can be changed on the fly, and reflect a players current “loadout” that can be adapted to various situations. Skill selection is one way in which players can differentiate themselves from others of their class. (GI1),(PCG1)
    • The final hotbar slot for every class is filled by an ultimate ability which is usable after the player accumulates sufficient “finesse”, a resource mechanic that builds through successful performance in combat. Every class has multiple ultimate abilities to choose from, but may only utilize one at a time. Bonus finesse is awarded for “playing smart”, for example interrupting an enemy spellcast or blocking a dangerous attack. Groups can rapidly accumulate finesse by performing attack combos that use synergistic abilities to produce a special effect. Completing an encounter with high finesse yields additional rewards ranging from a small experience boost to additional magical loot. (GI1),(PCG1)
    • When you first slot a new ability in your hotbar, you only possess a novice level of skill using it. As you gain expertise in your abilities you can improve and enhance them in various ways. (ME3)
    • Combat, class, and ultimate abilities may be changed whenver you want, provided you are not in combat. Because TESO uses a smaller number of active combat abilities than other games, the design team is ensuring that every ability a player can use is awesome and powerful, while eliminating filler abilities that provide only supplementary benefit.(PCG1),(GI10)
    • You will have the ability to charge up attacks in order to hit harder at the expense of quickness. (GSE3)
    • There exist potent synergy abilities, where multiple players working together can create a powerful magical effect by combining multiple abilities. These cross-class combo opportunities will prompt visual cues on-screen to help parties effectively combine powers. For example, a mage may combine a fire storm with a warrior who can run into the area of effect and use bladestorm, spraying fireballs in a 360 degree radius. Adventurers should take caution, however, because the game’s enemies can and will exploit the same synergies against the player.(GSE3),(GI10)
    • Perks exist and will be similar to talents in previous MMOs, although their eventual role in character building has not yet been revealed. Paul Sage emphasized that perks will provide substantial benefit and be pivotal in character development and growth. (ME3),(GI3)

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Character advancement will revolve largely around “hubless quest design” in order to preserve the sense of freeform exploration and progression which is an iconic feature of the Elder Scrolls. The game uses focal “points of interest” which are self-contained adventure modules that players may encounter during their travels. Townsfolk will direct players towards nearby POIs, but Zenimax Online is trying to shy away from quest hubs and breadcrumb chains. Many NPCs can direct the player to the same quest, so the player can easily find nearby quests without needing floating exclamation marks or strategy guides. (GI1),(GI8)
    • The main story line of the game is balanced to be completely soloable, although the game is tailored to provide a social community experience. (ME3),(PCG1)
    • Many quests are simple bite-sized adventures, however there are also quest sagas which span entire zones and tell grand tales which reveal segments of the overarching plot line of the game. (GI1)
    • There exist certain quest choices which mold your character as a result of your decisions. The outcome of certain quests will cause a tangible impact on areas of the world. (G4E3),(GI8)
    • Speechcraft exists in the game, and can be used to “short-circuit” or sidestep certain quest obstacles, this often opens up alternative means of completing quest objectives. (GI8)
    • TES:O will feature both public and instanced dungeons. Public dungeons are not separated from the regular world via instancing, and allow for organic cooperation, grouping, and even competition between players. Instanced dungeons also exist, which will deliver a more contained, story driven experience to a group of players. Public dungeons are excellent at providing “drive-by” social experiences with new players by facilitating spontaneous group formation with fellow gamers. (GI1),(GI3)
    • ZOS is designing to reward exploration with “vignettes” that are small events or challenges which are hidden off the beaten path around the world. (GI8)
    • Most small public dungeons located throughout the world are balanced to be challenging for 1.5 players, where they will provide a significant challenge for a solo player, but be comfortably clearable for a small group. (GSE3)
    • Endgame PvE will feature heroic modes of each of the game’s instanced dungeons, which are more than simply more difficult versions of the same content. These heroic dungeons extend the story of normal mode dungeons by adding a climactic and challenging endgame experience. In addition the game has large raids that pit multiple groups of players against powerful and iconic bosses. (GI1),(GI3),(GI8)
    • Quest rewards and public boss drops are individual specific and linked to the player’s class. This is to encourage grouping without penalizing players by forcing them to distribute shared loot. Additionally, many quest objectives are automatically shared with nearby players in the world to encourage cooperation, even if players don’t actually form a group. Furthermore, there are no kill lockouts. If you assist a fellow player in slaying monsters, both of you will recieve experience and quest credit even if you are not grouped. Zenimax wants to discourage competitiveness within ones own faction, and encourage players to work together against common enemies. (GI8),(PCG1)

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Funny thing is evnwe if they somehow managed to release it with exactly the saem gameplay as Skyrim but with 1000s of peopel int he world at once,it would not be considered a sandbox game by the majority of people here but still a themepark with justification.

I don't have an opinion about this game yet ecause there is only very general information about what they want to do with the game available at this stage and mock ups of the world using the hero Engine whislt they finish their custom engine.As someone wanting only a good game whether it be sandbox or thenepark I as of yet have no horse in this race.

• JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100
    The threads on this site need innovation.. op makes troll post.. op never looks back at flame war /facepalm
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by busdriver

I just can't figure out who this game is aimed for.

MMORPG fans? So far it looks roughly the same as 50 other games out there and RvR is also done gazillion times by now.

It can't be the TES fans, Zenimax has stripped most of the features that people love about TES games, and of course the vast modding community wont give two shits about any MMORPG anyway.

DAoC fans? I guess, but there's a fuckton of competition out there for RvR, the newest one being PS2 (which is excellent by the way. Yes it's not a RPG, but lets be honest here, other than the RvR part, DAoC was a really shitty game).

Hi I'm an angry bus driver and I like to get mad over video games like a 10 year old.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    What company in their right mind would chase after a few thousand sandbox-enthusiasts when there are potentially 10+ million costumers to steal from Blizzard?
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Do we really want another swtor development. Time to evolve mmorgs in another direction (any direction lol). Remember scrolls heritage is sandbox rpg.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nothing they say makes it sound like swtor

Nothing they say makes it sound like tes single player either mind.

I don't get how you guys see...
    Open world dungeons
    Semi action combat, based on weapon sets
    Rvr endgame
    Political system
    Soul gathering and tes crafting
    No quest hubs, wander and find open dungeons & events
    No agro system
    Optional story line quest

And just pick up on the last one and go "wow clone, swtor 2,burn the witch"

The feature list reads like the feature list for gw2 but with more sandbox elements.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by timtrack
    What company in their right mind would chase after a few thousand sandbox-enthusiasts when there are potentially 10+ million costumers to steal from Blizzard?

A few thousand? lol.. If someone finally made a great sandbox it would make a shitload of money.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

The appeal of Elder Scrolls games are the fact they're sandbox type rpgs. Now what are we getting? Linear Themepark wow-clone using same engine as SWTOR.

In Elder Scrolls games you are free to do what you want, where you want, at your own pace...I just cant see that translating to traditional themepark setting that the zenimax is aiming for.

Yep. Same thing happened with Warhammer Online, AoC, SW:TOR and so on. For some reason the big money MMORPG producers dont believe in MMO sandbox games, even if the IP's single player games are such games. Sad really.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Ill say it again.. there is nothing from with the Hero Engine, and the current version of the Hero Engine is totally different to the one used in SWTOR.. Bioware managed to botch that up..

This gaem is so far off and we have so little info i really dont know how you can come to the conclusion that its a bad joke.

I would also say skyrim isn't a sandbox.

Although it is now with the release of hearthfire, before that it wasn't.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

If TESO is a WOW clone then what is GW2? because if you paid any attention to the features TESO has more in common with GW2 than WOW.

Atleast do your research first before you want to call TESO a WOW clone.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Its definitely not The Elder Scrolls.

Just like SW:TOR was definitely not Star Wars.

300.000+ are playing Eve online and that is a niche sandbox as it is hardcore PvP and space-ship MMO. And as no triple A fantasy sandbox MMO have been released since Asheron's Call, 10 years ago, there is no telling how big this market is.

My guess is that there is a huge amount of people, sick of linear ThemeParks, who want to play a virtual world sandbox MMO. One that is not based on space-ships and FFA PvP and once such a game, with a big budget, is released it will have millions of subs.

Those 10+millions you mention is an illusion. Tons of MMO's have tried to chase that "dream", AoC, WAR, Aion, Champions Online, SW:TOR, LotRO and none of them got more than a a few houndred thousands sustained subs. There will never be a WoW type game again as it was a fluke.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

There will never be a WoW type game again as it was a fluke.

Exactly.

Originally posted by halflife25

If TESO is a WOW clone then what is GW2? because if you paid any attention to the features TESO has more in common with GW2 than WOW.

Atleast do your research first before you want to call TESO a WOW clone.

WoW and GW 2 are ThemeParks and Skyrim certainly was not. So albeit WoW clone might be wrong, it does seem like Elder Scrolls Online will be yet another ThemePark.

Swtor was all corridors and loneliness with an engine that ground to the halt in crowds because BIOWARE WANTED IT THAT WAY. They wanted to build a story driven sprpg, that's what they do,they are all about story. Ea made them make it a mmo, because they had wow "10 million subs" dollar signs in their eyes.

The people making TESO don't come from that sort if background. Unlike mass effect, kotor etc..

The people making TESO worked on uo, daoc, skyrim, swg, quake amongst others, they cone from big world with lots of players running around backgrounds, you Can be dam sure any engine work they do is to facilitate big areas and large groups of players.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

A few thousand? lol.. If someone finally made a great sandbox it would make a shitload of money.

Yeah keep dreaming. Sandbox players are impossible to please. I consider EVE to be a great sandbox and even it is a niche title.

There is no such thing as a great sandbox, it  never will be because someone somewhere is going to hate it regardless.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

It may as well be called Dark Age of Tamriel given how it's a reboot of DAoC in a different IP. Am I happy about that? No. Is it the Elder Scrolls MMO I would have wanted? No.

Will I buy it? Yes

Why? Because it could be a really fun game regardless.

People spend too much time whining about stuff that is all about enjoyment. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Wish they were making a different game? They're not so get over it.