Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So anyone else excited about the new Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

It is being released here in the US on Oct  24th.    This is the future.    We're getting closer to  what I call the MMPC(micro mobile personal computer).   The Samgsung Galaxy Note 2 is a hybrid smartphone/tablet (a phablet) and this is the stepping stone to the MMPC.   

The specs on the Note 2 are impressive.   1.6 ghz quad core CPU, 2gb of ram and you can get it with 16/32/64GB SD slot.    Well here, just go take a look at the specs for yourself.     Samsung Galaxy Note 2.   Soon, we'll be seeing a complete intergration of smartphones, tablets and PC's into something you can hold in the palm of your hand - that is as powerful as any PC.    We're almost there!  Now they just need to get 2ghz or better CPU's.  Add dedicated GPU and >>>> tada!   MMPC!

I think they could push this screen of the Note 2 from 5.5" to a 7" easily, and then increase it's res from it's current specs (5.55") HD Super AMOLED (1280 x 720) to a 7" 1920x1200.   :)    It'll make the phone a little longer and a bit wider, but that is perfect.  

Having everything on one gadget, rather than having to have a smartphone, tablet, and or a laptop makes it easier and everything else will disappear.    The Note 2 comes close by combining the snartphone with the tablet.    Now just add the additional power of a table top PC and we're good to go!  

Comments

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

You're getting it a bit late, I've had it for about a month its a neat device, I'm still waiting for Samsung to sober up and bring the note pen functionality to the Galaxy Tab.

Had the first Note as well(also have 2 Galaxy Tabs, Galaxy S2, and Nexus no S3 :(), there is literally only one(Software) improvement over the original Note, i still didn't get the latest firmware but from what i understand is that you can get the new split screen functionality on it as well which is pretty much the best feature of the Note 2(which unlike it was advertized it did not had on release either) since it allows you to run 2 apps at the same time.

If the first Note indeed gets that feature too you should NOT buy the Note 2(N7100), the N7000 has a much better screen both in terms of resolution, and PPI. It has the same GPU, and honestly i did not see any difference in performance over the Dual-Core it has, Android was behind on multi-core support, and not even 4.1(JB) is taking great advantage of any thing over 2 cores.

Oh and it should also be like 200-300$ cheaper.

If you're thinking of buying the Note 2, check the Note 1 with 4.1 first, even if the split screen will not get onto it officially you'll get it in a matter of days as a hack on XDA(and hopefully every other JB/ICS device out there will get it too).

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by DOGMA1138

You're getting it a bit late, I've had it for about a month its a neat device, I'm still waiting for Samsung to sober up and bring the note pen functionality to the Galaxy Tab.

Had the first Note as well(also have 2 Galaxy Tabs, Galaxy S2, and Nexus no S3 :(), there is literally only one(Software) improvement over the original Note, i still didn't get the latest firmware but from what i understand is that you can get the new split screen functionality on it as well which is pretty much the best feature of the Note 2(which unlike it was advertized it did not had on release either) since it allows you to run 2 apps at the same time.

If the first Note indeed gets that feature too you should NOT buy the Note 2(N7100), the N7000 has a much better screen both in terms of resolution, and PPI. It has the same GPU, and honestly i did not see any difference in performance over the Dual-Core it has, Android was behind on multi-core support, and not even 4.1(JB) is taking great advantage of any thing over 2 cores.

If you're thinking of buying the Note 2, check the Note 1 with 4.1 first, even if the split screen will not get onto it officially you'll get it in a matter of days as a hack on XDA(and hopefully every other JB/ICS device out there will get it too).

I am in the US and it hasn't been released here yet.   :p  

Oct 24th is the date it goes on sale here.   I do have one I have been playing around with and can compare it with the GN 1.  There are some differences.

So I'll be sticking with the GN 2, because it is a more polished product - comes with a more powerful processor that allows for multi-tasking.  Has 2GB or ram, not 1GB.  Has built in 16/32/64GB of ram + another 16/32/64 GB on an SD Card - gives you more flexibility in choices.   More connectivity choices including NFC.  And the newer one is awesome in many other ways.   Compare the specs for SGN 1 with the SGN 2 - and you'll see that the SGN2 is better in almost every way.    The screen res from GN1 to GN2 is not an issue since it is HD Super AMOLED.   Neither is the front facing camera.   One thing I like is the battery life of the newer phone is all ready proving to be better.   Plus the newer version is not as wide as the previous version so it fits in your hand better.    Has a neat little app built in that allows you to actually use one hand input and you can chose whether to use the left or right side of phone - works good if you have smaller hands.    Can't wait for it to get to the US - so I can get my own.  

Oh and the S pen is a little bigger.   Makes it easier to hold.   :)

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by DOGMA1138

I am in the US and it hasn't been released here yet.   :p  

Oct 24th is the date it goes on sale here.   I do have one I have been playing around with and can compare it with the GN 1.  There are some differences.

So I'll be sticking with the GN 2, because it is a more polished product - comes with a more powerful processor that allows for multi-tasking.  Has 2GB or ram, not 1GB.  Has built in 16/32/64GB of ram + another 16/32/64 GB on an SD Card - gives you more flexibility in choices.   More connectivity choices including NFC.  And the newer one is awesome in many other ways.   Compare the specs for SGN 1 with the SGN 2 - and you'll see that the SGN2 is better in almost every way.    The screen res from GN1 to GN2 is not an issue since it is HD Super AMOLED.   Neither is the front facing camera.   One thing I like is the battery life of the newer phone is all ready proving to be better.   Plus the newer version is not as wide as the previous version so it fits in your hand better.    Has a neat little app built in that allows you to actually use one hand input and you can chose whether to use the left or right side of phone - works good if you have smaller hands.    Can't wait for it to get to the US - so I can get my own.  

Oh and the S pen is a little bigger.   Makes it easier to hold.   :)

Do you actually own the GN1? i still have mine, there is 0 performance difference between them, currently i have a ROM on the GN1 that does not have the touchwiz so the performance on it is actually much better than what i get on the GN2.

I have NFC on my GN1, i guess the US version does not have it.

The batterylife on the GN2 is actually worse, much worse i think its JellyBean not liking the Quad Core so i actually disabled 2 of the cores manually to get the batterlife im used too, could also be the horrid Samsung ROM.

Again the screen is worse, it's heavier, and a bit bigger for me the 1280x800 vs the 1280x720 is actually some what a deal breaker since on the Note i spend most of my time in chroot on Ubuntu or Backtrack, or RDP/VNC to another machine for work. so the 16:10 is quite important since it preservs the proper ration for taskbar operations.

Buy the GN2 if you like, im just saying its not worth paying almost double the price of the GN1 not by a long shot... 700+ US for the International version, well another toy to throw on my GF...