Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So did this becamed the WoW killer as we all read about???

Comments

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I think not only wow killer but mmo killer. In few weeks we could have global server shutdown and only gw2 will be left. Blizzard, Trion and rest of companise show fake numbers and only ANet speaks the truth. For next 40-50 years gw2 will dominate global mmo market. 
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by kalrhael

GW2 was just another pathetic attempt to appeal to the casual hordes, but WOW responded by unleashing the pandas, and the village people rejoiced as it reached near its high 11 million mark again...  GW2 fanbois, I hope you learned your lesson as the SWTOR and rift fanbois did.... Do not mess with the king of mmos, he will destroy you and your puny game. 

Heh, I think you meant 10 million. WoW won't be dead for a long time, but if you can't sell more than 2.7 million of the expansion to a 10 mln playerbase, lower than all former expansions achieved... well, it seems the downward slope has settled in then.

But nevertheless, everyone should enjoy the MMO game they like, no matter what, whether that's MoP, GW2, Rift, LotrO etc. Tribalism regarding gaming is so adolescent, don't you think? :-)
  • UtukuUtuku Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by kalrhael

GW2 was just another pathetic attempt to appeal to the casual hordes, but WOW responded by unleashing the pandas, and the village people rejoiced as it reached near its high 11 million mark again... 

GW2 fanbois, I hope you learned your lesson as the SWTOR and rift fanbois did.... Do not mess with the king of mmos, he will destroy you and your puny game. 

Sacrilege sir,  how dare you not proclaim GW2 the king of all MMOs, didn't you know it got a 9.3? Didn't you know that more people play GW2 than they do WOW.In a parallel universe it is GW2 that has nearly 11 million players not WOW,somewhere in that parallel universe far far away we are having this very same conversation.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Didnt you know? Wow has '9 million' subscribers in that universe and has not aged badly at all. Thankfully blizzard cares about their existing player base more than getting new younger blood through the door. Sarcasm is easy!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    MoP probably sold less copies because you can play a panda without it .The only thing you lose is the monk class and the opportunity to level to the latest cap. Many people may not want to buy it just yet . I won't till I level my new toon to that cap.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

why should GW2 has to kill WoW..? WoW itself doing a very nice job at that.. a nice steady slow death actually. Guild Wars 2 maybe given it a nice strong kick at the ass, butt thats it! ;-)

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Utuku
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Becamed? lol

And their is me thinking you might of figured it out,kan du tala svenska?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpellingNazi

lol

As for the OP question..

A bot and hack infested semi asian grinder will never take WOW down.

btw WoW has the Biggest BOT community out there...so stop this..

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Sacrilege sir,  how dare you not proclaim GW2 the king of all MMOs, didn't you know it got a 9.3? Didn't you know that more people play GW2 than they do WOW.In a parallel universe it is GW2 that has nearly 11 million players not WOW,somewhere in that parallel universe far far away we are having this very same conversation.

I don't think that you'll find ANYONE saying that GW2 has more players than WoW or that GW2 is a 'WoW killer', except maybe GW2 dislikers who use it as a strawman argument as what some alleged theoretical GW2 fan said :-)

What you *will* see people say, is that GW2 is doing fine, with its 2 million sales, next to people who'll say that both are doing worse, with GW2 player activity declined a lot and MoP having the lowest sales of all WoW expansions (2.7 mln comes awfully close to the 2-2.5 mln that SWTOR sold and 2 million+ of GW2). The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle of the yay and naysayer camps.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by ChrisReitz
    Cant kill wow. You can take most of there playerbase. To where its basically nothing to where they might consider making it free to play to lvl 20 or even put a cheesy panda onfront of there cover thinking it will bring in hardcore gamers lol wtf... Hopefully no one is that stupid... I checked out videos of the gameplay I almost fell asleep watching it ZzzZzzz I guess with the few players that are left they enjoy playing it.

You do realize WoW still has 9-10 million players, right?

If that's your idea of a population being "basically nothing" or "few players that are left", then GW2 has already failed, horribly. 'cause WoW is still mopping the floor with most other MMOs out there - GW2 included - after what, 8 years in service?

Amazing how out of touch some people can be.

The only thing that's going to kill WoW is Blizzard when they decide to shut the game down for good. And that's not going to be for a long while. Far too many players and far too much momentum on its side still for that to happen.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They are games for different sorts of players

Wow is for raiders
    Gw2 is for pvpers and explorers

So no gw2 won't kill wow, but what it will do is make its own audience, which is a recipie for more success than copying wow.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    I hate tools.

Some tools that there uses some don't . This one doesn't .

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    They are games for different sorts of players

Wow is for raiders
    Gw2 is for pvpers and explorers

So no gw2 won't kill wow, but what it will do is make its own audience, which is a recipie for more success than copying wow.

This line always makes me smile,GW2 and WOW chase a separate player base, what a load of rubbish.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Enough.  No reputable source called this or any other MMO a WOW killer.

Pointless thread.

^

This

Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Cant kill wow. You can take most of there playerbase. To where its basically nothing to where they might consider making it free to play to lvl 20 or even put a cheesy panda onfront of there cover thinking it will bring in hardcore gamers lol wtf... Hopefully no one is that stupid... I checked out videos of the gameplay I almost fell asleep watching it ZzzZzzz I guess with the few players that are left they enjoy playing it.

If that's your idea of a population being "basically nothing" or "few players that are left", then GW2 has already failed, horribly. 'cause WoW is still mopping the floor with most other MMOs out there - GW2 included - after what, 8 years in service?

The only thing that's going to kill WoW is Blizzard when they decide to shut the game down for good. And that's not going to be for a long while. Far too many players and far too much momentum on its side still for that to happen.

I don't think they are out of touch i would say they are in denial.GW2 an okay bot infested semi asian grinder mmo but it will never be the number one mmo like the GW2 faithful are so desperate for it to be.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Utuku:

If gw2 was chasing mostly wow players, where are the raids, where is the tiered gear progression? Why bother making WvW, they could just have done mini game pvp to get the wow audience?
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by halflife25
    I can't help but laugh at 38% who voted 'WOW is dead' ...lol!!

It makes sense though if we add the words "to me", so that it becomes "WOW is dead to me".

I just voted that because the poll is ridiculous, and to pee in OP's cheerios.  But your idea is better.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I played GW2 for a while, then I went back to WoW, and WoW still seems to be more fun for some reason. GW2 was never spouted as a WoW killer, but more of a game that one could play without a fee while also playing WoW or another game, if you wanted.
  • vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

Seems to me that OP cares more about GW2 vs WoW (which only blind mislead hardcore fans of one or another game really care about) than his own dyslexia.

Oh mama, I live in a sad sad world...

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    gw2 is so different form wow that they arent even in the same box for me. 
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Mothanos
    [mod edit]

and you think selling 2.7m copies, after 8+ years its not a good deal? nothing lasts forever and imo even blizz thought that it could last long. i say that if you think about its age, the negative posts for pandas, the natural decline and all the new games that has released, that indeed 2.7m sales is a good deal.

furthermore you can see the % of decline that all new games have. its much bigger than a 8 years game.

imo if the next wow exp sell, lets say 1.5m, it will be once again a success. not in absolute numbers, but considering the above.

they have an 8 years old, sub game and sell more than any new one, even if its less than their previous. hell YES, this is a succes

plus, keep always in mind: blizz sells all those copies every time, not because they sell a brand new game, but only an expansion...so think what will happen if they release a whole new game :)

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

it means if Cataclysm developers made an effort to add contend for wow players it wasnt a big fail as it was.

it also means if they dint add panda and pokemon they would have sold double the numbers they sold now.

Blizzard bragging with back to 10 million subs while in reality its over 7 million asian players who dont buy expansions is showing how desprate they are.

They lost many EU/USA players...thats a fact

[mod edit]
    And the best part is, some people like both WoW and GW2 and can play both :)

Its crazy to make these posts in favor of Blizzard when clearly they lost another MASSIVE chunk of the most rich playerbase namely the WEST side of the world who pay big money for expansions and 13 euro a month for a sub.

MoP goes down as the least selling expansion, keep golfclapping boys and keep spitting to Arenanet for making a epic game :)

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

I don't think they are out of touch i would say they are in denial.GW2 an okay bot infested semi asian grinder mmo but it will never be the number one mmo like the GW2 faithful are so desperate for it to be.

Fair enough.

Though the "out of touch" bit was more to do with them considering 9-10 million players as being "basically nothing" or "few players that are left". It's one thing to make over-the-top, hyperbolic  and unsupported declarations for a game you like (e.g. "GW2 is a WoW killer", "GW2 is a genre changer"). It's something else altogether to look at a game whose population eclipses GW2's and describe it as "basically nothing". You'd think that at some point, the logic would kick in "well, if 9-10 million players is "basically nothing", then what does that say for GW2's population?"

I agree with you on some of them being desparate for GW2 to be "the number one MMO". You can see that kind of nonsense coming from many people. It's like watching the love-fest over TOR all over again, only worse.

Thing is, over time, the numbers given for GW2 will mean less and less beyond indicating initial box sales. Just like F2P MMOs, a game without subscriptions means that every single account registered is essentially an "active account". Even people haven't played in months would be considered an active account. F2P companies love to use that to their advantage, knowing that most people don't try to qualify the numbers that way.

So, down the road, when ANet or NC inevitably start touting their big numbers of "active accounts", I hope someone has the sense to ask "how many of those active accounts are actively played? Say, at least one login a week?".

Better yet, though I won't hold my breath,  I hope ANet and NCSoft have the integrity to make that distinction themselves.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Mothanos

it means if Cataclysm developers made an effort to add contend for wow players it wasnt a big fail as it was.

it also means if they dint add panda and pokemon they would have sold double the numbers they sold now.

Blizzard bragging with back to 10 million subs while in reality its over 7 million asian players who dont buy expansions is showing how desprate they are.

They lost many EU/USA players...thats a fact

Fanboys spitting at GW2 is hilarious as they are reaching 3 million box sales.
    And the best part is, some people like both WoW and GW2 and can play both :)

Its crazy to make these posts in favor of Blizzard when clearly they lost another MASSIVE chunk of the most rich playerbase namely the WEST side of the world who pay big money for expansions and 13 euro a month for a sub.

MoP goes down as the least selling expansion, keep golfclapping boys and keep spitting to Arenanet for making a epic game :)

hmmm...epic? i play gw2 in my spare time, but there is nothing epic...just boredom, but HEY, its sub free :)

i guess you (or me ofc) dont know better how to make money, than blizz knows, right?

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

enough with this kind of thread already. 

Originally posted by edtanxxx

enough with this kind of thread already. 

Yeah let's have more of the "gw2 is the bestest since t-rex walked the earth" or "i'm not bored" lol.

This discussion has been closed.