Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Botting and Gold farmers, are all over this game now, in every single zone.

Comments

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by fundayz

Anyone that expected GW2, or any other online game for that matter, to be completely bot free is an uttter fool.

What matters is how the company reacts to the issue, whi ch is something that ArenaNet has handled quite well:

- Thousands of banned accounts

- Harsh Diminishing Returns on farming

- Giving people an option to buy gold in a legitimate fashion

Also, on Darkhaven I have yet to experience a botter that has affected my gameplay experience. In fact, I dunno if I have seen any botters whatsoever.

To which they did. They are working (re-working) a automated bot detector AND they just anounced a LIVE team for it.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

They are more noticeable on the low pop servers, for instance, Kaineng, one of the lowest pop NA servers is absolutely flooded with bots in every zone, so bad that you can't even tell who's a player anymore, but then say you transfer to JQ or another typically "full" server and you don't see as many. 

They also bot in WvW, which is quite fun.  They will go to the lowest matchup, say now, Borlis Pass vs. Kaineng vs. Devona's Rest.  Borlis is way ahead, so they all transferred there, just as the week before they were on Ferguson's Crossing.  They stack up 20-30 at a time in the lakes, or run a continuous circle around the skritt camp, but only in the winning servers borderland.  That way they can just drop off the side and go a small walk west to skritts, or go south of garrison which 99% of the time their server will own and hit the lake.  There will also be a small amount of the in EB just outside of their spawn teleporting around.

It's quite hilarious, I've wiped a lot of these bots, no joke, must have gotten at least 3k WvW kills just harassing them, they always come back, but what is most interesting is once you say, wipe the botters running the skritt path, they seem to have sort of bot "ringleaders" the level 80's with at least decent gear, who try to stop you, sometimes it was just 1, but last night they had at least 4 of them trying to kill me, you could tell they were players, but man they are soooo bad.  I was half tempted to transfer to Borlis pass and message those guys to see if they would hire me to protect their bots for a price haha.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

There was more behind me I believe to.  This is at the Skritt cave behind the base in the Fields of Ruin on Sanctum of Rall.  I reported them a couple days ago now.  Then there was six or so.   They seem to have multiplied since, same ones still there to, lol. 

I've seen a fair share of groups now, I sometimes report a few before they teleport away or around and then I just carry on.  They've never bothered me personally but the teleport hack definately needs to be fixed.   First time at the Tequatl event there was a ton back behind there farming the risen and krait event teleporting around like crazy.  

I still remember the gold farmers that used our Mission Terminal at our player city in SWG 24/7.  I miss those guys.  :(

* What's the [] spoiler tags on here...? 

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Anyone that expected GW2, or any other online game for that matter, to be completely bot free is an uttter fool.

TSW is bot free because it doesnt have an economy that bots can take advantage of. Everything worth having is BOP and you get shitloads of money. Every mmo should have it like that = no bots

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Xten

What matters is how the company reacts to the issue, whi ch is something that ArenaNet has handled quite well:

- Thousands of banned accounts

- Harsh Diminishing Returns on farming

- Giving people an option to buy gold in a legitimate fashion

Also, on Darkhaven I have yet to experience a botter that has affected my gameplay experience. In fact, I dunno if I have seen any botters whatsoever.

To which they did. They are working (re-working) a automated bot detector AND they just anounced a LIVE team for it.

Source?

I checked reddit, facebook, twitter and the official forums.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Its really bad when they are breaking the game, able to bend it to teleport and other factors that make it all the worst for botting practices. The sad thing is as mentioned above, they added the gold for gems deal using the excuse it is to detract that behavior... and its pretty much done absolutely zero. Hopefully that can discourage future developers for doing something stupid like selling their own in game gold and using it as an excuse to counter gold sellers.

ANET isn't selling the gold, players are. The only thing ANET does does is provide a market for it. 

The reason there are botters is because its a popular MMO. It may have more than avg because its a B2P game. These botters will dimish if demand for their wears deminish. ANET can do that by putting a ceeling on how much gems cost in terms of gold. But I'd rather ANET not take this route and simply do what they've always done, ban 1000s of accounts every 2ish months.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by Xten Originally posted by fundayz Anyone that expected GW2, or any other online game for that matter, to be completely bot free is an uttter fool.   What matters is how the company reacts to the issue, whi ch is something that ArenaNet has handled quite well: - Thousands of banned accounts - Harsh Diminishing Returns on farming - Giving people an option to buy gold in a legitimate fashion   Also, on Darkhaven I have yet to experience a botter that has affected my gameplay experience. In fact, I dunno if I have seen any botters whatsoever.
    Source?

Here we go, really easy to find from their home page.

Piken Square, never noticed any bots and running two lvl 20's and a lvl 80 at the moment, not saying they don't exist but they certainly aren't over running my server.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by itgrowls

this argument would be valid if they didn't do anything, but like most people here in these forums the OP hasn't read a single thing on subject but claim they are the expert.

they are hiring in specialized programmers to add code that will detect macros and bots running outside the game similtanously.

besides claiming they are in every zone on every server is a complete exaggeration.

Question is... "in 2012", where botting/hacking/cheating in MMOs is known to be an inevitability, why the hell didn't they do this from the outset? Why didn't they program in tools and "behind the scenes" features that detected for such things in the first place? Why didn't they create more robust anti-botting/hack/cheating tools? Why don't they have people more dedicated to seeking out and dealing with these botters/rmt'ers?

I mean, they're expecting to make this huge, epic, ground-shaking MMO that's supposedly "going to change what people expect from MMOs forever more"... but they forgot to account for the one thing that has proven to plague so many of them, particularly the bigger and more popular ones? I'm not even talking "eliminate them entirely", 'cause that's impossible. I'm talking "keep them under control and their influence to a minimum".

Please don't tell me they assumed it wouldn't be a problem, or that it isn't a problem. It is a problem, in every MMO, in any variety of ways, depending on the type of MMO.

It's indefensible at this point. There's no way to spin this as a positive for ANet. In my opinion, effective measures to counter botting/hacking/cheating should be a part of the tools and programming that go into any MMORPG's development. There should be systems that passively look for certain patterns in behavior, and there should be active/hands-on measures used to follow up on those to make sure they're not false-positives. It shouldn't be a reactionary after-thought once the game has launched and everyone realizes that, "oh look.. there's bots in this game, too".

Don't take this as me hating on ANet or GW2. I'd be showing the same amount of incredulity for any major - and even not-so-major MMO release.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by fundayz Anyone that expected GW2, or any other online game for that matter, to be completely bot free is an uttter fool.   What matters is how the company reacts to the issue, whi ch is something that ArenaNet has handled quite well: - Thousands of banned accounts - Harsh Diminishing Returns on farming - Giving people an option to buy gold in a legitimate fashion   Also, on Darkhaven I have yet to experience a botter that has affected my gameplay experience. In fact, I dunno if I have seen any botters whatsoever.
    Source?

Piken Square, never noticed any bots and running two lvl 20's and a lvl 80 at the moment, not saying they don't exist but they certainly aren't over running my server.

Thanks, really easy to find indeed. I completely overlooked it, dismissing it as another blah-blah-promises-promises-fluff article.

I'm also on Piken Square. They have spots they like to frequent. I'll keep reporting whenever I see them.

It was terrible in the other games I played and ruined them out of the gate. I'm glad the players care enough to make a big deal out of it. Now let's see how ANet manages in the coming days.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    so how do you know someone is a bot/hacker/cheater? they name it on they head? I havent seen not even once naked group of characters to kill over and over mobs.... and i mean not even once!....not even one character stuck on a loop or at tree.......... nothing that indicates that it is a  bot... i have ask my friends and my guild mates and they havent also find someone that is bot.....are you playing on US server? Im playing in a EU.. 
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

Yay! I got game email from 5 of my friends! Oh wait...I didn't get any :(

• RedrumickeyRedrumickey Member Posts: 13

I love how fanboys can put a happy spin on everything. You guys keep looking the other way and pretening its not there . Buts its just a start of bigger problems to come . Which is really sad GW2 is a great game and to have outside force ruin it makes me feel bad for the programs who work their ass making it to have turn out like this. Money the true root of eveil even if its fake , but which you can buy for real money so then you have alot of fake money. 

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by fundayz Anyone that expected GW2, or any other online game for that matter, to be completely bot free is an uttter fool.   What matters is how the company reacts to the issue, whi ch is something that ArenaNet has handled quite well: - Thousands of banned accounts - Harsh Diminishing Returns on farming - Giving people an option to buy gold in a legitimate fashion   Also, on Darkhaven I have yet to experience a botter that has affected my gameplay experience. In fact, I dunno if I have seen any botters whatsoever.
    Source?

Thanks, really easy to find indeed. I completely overlooked it, dismissing it as another blah-blah-promises-promises-fluff article.

I'm also on Piken Square. They have spots they like to frequent. I'll keep reporting whenever I see them.

It was terrible in the other games I played and ruined them out of the gate. I'm glad the players care enough to make a big deal out of it. Now let's see how ANet manages in the coming days.

It's been on the client login screen since it was posted. Of course, those who don't actually play the game wouldn't have seen it.

I play on Gandara EU and haven't seen any bots, although I'm reliably informed there have been a few in Queensdale.

Grossly over-exagerated thread title.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by spawn12345

TSW is bot free because it doesnt have an economy that bots can take advantage of. Everything worth having is BOP and you get shitloads of money. Every mmo should have it like that = no bots

But isn't that kind of like...if you excuse the George W Bush term, "letting the terrorists win?"

I would never want to sacrifice any notion of MMO economy solely to stop bots.  Bots are annoying, but they are not as big of a deal as people make them out to be.

They DO cause damage to the economy, they DO hack accounts, but if you have a good, UNIQUE password, you will very likely never be hacked.  And in the normal game, they really don't make that much of a difference.

Yes, they should be banned, but let's not cut off the arm to spite the hand.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Malevil
    Playing on eu server and I have yet see this bot invansion ... just becouse ppl are killing mobs in one area, it doesnt mean they are bots ...

When they're all naked and rangers and running so close together that they look like a mouse cursor trail......yes, it does.  Have you ever seen 20 characters in a perfect line one behind the other running through a zone killing things in perfect unison?  Yeah, Buddy....that's not normal, mkay?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Malevil
    Playing on eu server and I have yet see this bot invansion ... just becouse ppl are killing mobs in one area, it doesnt mean they are bots ...

When they're all naked and rangers and running so close together that they look like a mouse cursor trail......yes, it does.  Have you ever seen 20 characters in a perfect line one behind the other running through a zone killing things in perfect unison?  Yeah, Buddy....that's not normal, mkay?

Not to mention, the "facerolling" naming conventions many of them seem to follow.

"fgiyusnkjds" is not a name - in any language.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I must be playing different game. I have only run into them in very specific areas and not even that many of them....

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    I must be playing different game. I have only run into them in very specific areas and not even that many of them....

Could be the server you are on.  Some seem much less affected than others.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Huge immersion braker?

Can someone write up a reasonable motivation behind that?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• EscadaEscada Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by MoonBeans

this is one of the things that lately, is killing my desire from loggin in GW2.  i find it very discouraging, and to me a mayor inmersion breaker.  that in every single zone.  no matter wich char i login.  i find this groups of naked rangers with their twisted looking names, killing every single mob over and over and over.  

i keep reporting them every time i see them but doubt anything gets done about it.

a shame to see a decent MMO , getting utterly ruined by bots like this.

One of the things that drove me mad when I was heavily into wow were the flying bot herb farmers.. Regularly, whilst genuinely looking for herbs myself, I would enounter bot after bot.. I could scour certain areas and it was really tough finding un looted node.  I went on a rampage at one point and followed them and reported people.  It didnt do a thing.  Dont get me started about how this effected my selling power and ability to compete in game for BoEs.. 

This kinda stuff can drive you nuts.  My suggestion would be to shrug if off and play your game.  Take note, life is much like the game; human nature being what it is there are lots of people willing to cheat and exploit.  Promulgating that they only cheat themselves achieves little.

Some people are simply lost.  If you want to change the world, who would you start with?  A wise man said start with yourself.  I don't tolerate cheating and exploiting for advantage.  Others might not like it when I say so but they find it hard to disrespect my point. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

As of yesterday 3000 accounts was terminated for botting. Thats around 60 for each server.

Atm there is 3-4 high lvl zones and some WvW stuff going on, that bots mainly are found in. I wonder if servers can feel the impact of this allready ?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

Thats what happens with overhyped and over exposed mainstream MMOs. The devs should be doing more to stop it, but it's probably not as easy as pressing a button. You'd need at least 100 people per server looking for these guys and that's just impossible. this is why they have reporting features. The problem is that no one uses them. Most not even noticing when they should be using them.

It's a giant mess that's really hard to clean up. I personally don't care since I find the game boring, but if you all care about this, maybe report it when you see it and encourage others to report it.

bullocks! You only need one dedicated GM per server for the time being going from zone to zone to zone, cleaning them up.

I mean.... these bots are so obvious and easy recognisable. It's not even funny.

Every popular MMO has suffered from goldfamers and bots, but it takes a little bit of effort and "real" dedication to clean them up.

And so far Arenanet is only talking PR but has shown no action!  Nicely in the tradition of NCSoft's other games, where bots were rampant and pretty much never dealt with.

• PixilatedPixilated Member UncommonPosts: 30

It's been a plague of NC soft titles for a long time, Linage2,Aion, now GW2...

I love'd Aion but could'nt handle the bots, I hope they have a new way to

combat them or GW2 will go f2p because no one else loggs in but the bots.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by jondifool

As of yesterday 3000 accounts was terminated for botting. Thats around 60 for each server.

Atm there is 3-4 high lvl zones and some WvW stuff going on, that bots mainly are found in. I wonder if servers can feel the impact of this allready ?

That's positive news and I wonder similar to you: are people noticing the change or was this merely a drop in the ocean?

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Haven´t seen any on my EU server................

You want to see bots then go to Fergason's Crossing server. The level 30-40 zones are full of them in the early morning hours and off and on later in the day. Always the same ones. Always following the same path over and over and over again. This is not multi-boxing this is botting.