Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So did this becamed the WoW killer as we all read about???

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    no but it sure did put a huge dent in it. 700k in sales the first day?...yeah i'd say it's on the fast track to gone :) sooner then most think.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by tank017
    This thread made me becamed sad for the human race.

I wonder how many times this phrase has been used through out the history of humanity?

Not this specific phrase, but the basic idea behind it.

• Echo08Echo08 Member Posts: 55

IMO

They do a few things better like the world events, possibly crafting, definately gathering.  

But combat... maybe on par (the hint of arcade dodge adds a bit), but in wow you have a whole list of skills to kick off not 5 or 10 by 80 it is zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  If I'm looking for arcade style action combat, tera is way better.

PVE... The story is great, the leveling doesn't feel grindy.  But the skill sets are not very robust.  So it gets very very repetitive in terms fo the battles.

End game ... SSDD.  They professed the game wasn't about the gear, but what do you grind end game gear... either in buggy dungeons or PVP with terrible drop rates.  Dungeons with bosses the have amped damage and health (to be challenging)... yes I understand there is so called skill in fight them, but seriously, all one needs to do is youtube the boss and then do the assemble line repetative pattern.  I almost fell asleep in CM explorer.  All to get Gear... same as wow, same as rift, same as.....every other mmo.   WOW at least has a full range of skills you can toss at the boss, they also dialed it into differing level of a challenge.  Its easy for ANET to claim they want it to be super tough, but I believe that is merely an excuse for the current state.  They did have to release the game at some point.  

PVP... Not even close... its like WOW in its early stages of PVP.  Like they didn't even look at wow and say hmmm, here are the issues in wow, rift, GW1, global agenda, warhammer, etc.  So when it comes to World vs World its basically, one side runs over the other 2 within the 1st day or 2.... the rest of the week is.... if you are on the winning side, wondering around looking for a fight (usually near a spawn point)... on the loosing side, waiting near your spawn point for someone to wonder close enough so you (and teammates) can hammer them before they run away, or the cavalry comes.  The drop rates are not significant enough to entice me into 'sticking' it out for the gear.  I spent an hour raining arrow death with a siege engine on the mass sitting at the gate.  I was like cool... 10 minutes later... keep firing ..... 30 minutes later... I wonder if there is an episode of grimm.   And only a few of the honor tokens dropped  (which go into your bag... what a currency in the bag, seems rather short sighted...no it's plain half assed).... Wow had some epic PVP moments which friends still talk about.  The PVP in the traditional GW1 style is still very good and perhaps better balanced than the others, but still very limitted... and there really isn't anything to be earned from it (unless I'm mistaken, none of the cosmetics carry over, and definately none of the gear)

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Echo08

IMO

They do a few things better like the world events, possibly crafting, definately gathering.  

But combat... maybe on par (the hint of arcade dodge adds a bit), but in wow you have a whole list of skills to kick off not 5 or 10 by 80 it is zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  If I'm looking for arcade style action combat, tera is way better.

PVE... The story is great, the leveling doesn't feel grindy.  But the skill sets are not very robust.  So it gets very very repetitive in terms fo the battles.

End game ... SSDD.  They professed the game wasn't about the gear, but what do you grind end game gear... either in buggy dungeons or PVP with terrible drop rates.  Dungeons with bosses the have amped damage and health (to be challenging)... yes I understand there is so called skill in fight them, but seriously, all one needs to do is youtube the boss and then do the assemble line repetative pattern.  I almost fell asleep in CM explorer.  All to get Gear... same as wow, same as rift, same as.....every other mmo.   WOW at least has a full range of skills you can toss at the boss, they also dialed it into differing level of a challenge.  Its easy for ANET to claim they want it to be super tough, but I believe that is merely an excuse for the current state.  They did have to release the game at some point.  

PVP... Not even close... its like WOW in its early stages of PVP.  Like they didn't even look at wow and say hmmm, here are the issues in wow, rift, GW1, global agenda, warhammer, etc.  So when it comes to World vs World its basically, one side runs over the other 2 within the 1st day or 2.... the rest of the week is.... if you are on the winning side, wondering around looking for a fight (usually near a spawn point)... on the loosing side, waiting near your spawn point for someone to wonder close enough so you (and teammates) can hammer them before they run away, or the cavalry comes.  The drop rates are not significant enough to entice me into 'sticking' it out for the gear.  I spent an hour raining arrow death with a siege engine on the mass sitting at the gate.  I was like cool... 10 minutes later... keep firing ..... 30 minutes later... I wonder if there is an episode of grimm.   And only a few of the honor tokens dropped  (which go into your bag... what a currency in the bag, seems rather short sighted...no it's plain half assed).... Wow had some epic PVP moments which friends still talk about.  The PVP in the traditional GW1 style is still very good and perhaps better balanced than the others, but still very limitted... and there really isn't anything to be earned from it (unless I'm mistaken, none of the cosmetics carry over, and definately none of the gear)

First point, u have at least 15 skills not 5 or 10. Then you can mix and match them however you want... which is like wow since you probly dont use 20+ skills in one fight.

And pvp worse? Thats a laugh. WoW hasnt been competitive since its start. Its pvp is a joke and always has been.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

@Echo

You don't even use half of those many abilities you get in WoW, either because they were only useful in the early levels of the game, they were basically clones of each other, or they weren't part of the mandatory rotations set by 3rd party websites for raids.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Troll post. I give you 0/10 because it lacks originality. (referring to OP's post)
  • raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88

Reading these forums is becoming so boring.

People are so fed up , they will write anything to have something to do , the mmo genre is ruined for good i'm afraid.

It just reflects what people are turning into ,a bunch of cry babies that don't look for a reason to play a game , instead they just start looking for flaws or ways to cheat and get insta gratification.

I remember games being a way to relax and enjoy ur free time.

Nowadays they are just another job at home , running to end level , getting max gear faster than anyone else.

No game can compete with that , the WoW behemoth or Anet or any company in that matter.

These gamers simply cannot be satisfied ,and mmorpg is just a reflection of that.

Maybe for us old timers , single player games is the way and games like gw2 with no sub that we can play in and out freely.

Wish a pleasant day to u all.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

There is no choice on that poll I agree with.

(There is more than enough room in this world for both GW2 and WoW to be successful)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I voted yes in this sense.  I used to play wow and enjoyed it, and as I watched it go downhill I played it less, until stopping completely.  Now it is dead, to me, personally.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Clawzon
    Well?

WoW killer where in hell did you heard that?

This is just  flamebait thread

/thread

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Tamanous

"So did this becamed ... "

Lol ... I lost the ability to take anything seriously after at that point.

Yep, same here.  I knew it would be a stupid post, but didn't expect such an imbecilic poll in it as well.

EDIT:  I would have reported this flamebait thread but I see someone beat me to it.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Depends on what you mean with "kill WoW". If you mean overtake the throne as the number 1 MMORPG on the market, then yes a such claim was made. 

Analogously,  when someone says "fuck you" or "go to hell", they don't actually mean the literal meaning of the words.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I can't help but laugh at 38% who voted 'WOW is dead' ...lol!!
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by halflife25

It makes sense though if we add the words "to me", so that it becomes "WOW is dead to me".

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Went back to WoW after playing GW2 for a week.

Didn't kill wow for me :j

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

Short answer: No, not even close.

MOP outsold GW2 in a week, and GW2 is losing people everyday cuase there is no endgame.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    [mod edit]

Tools are great for building things!

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow ain't dead lol equally re above post, Wow allegedly had 9 million subs, in the first 2 weeks only a quarter of all wow players but the expansion. 3 out of 4 wow players we're so non-plus sex by the game they couldnt be bothered. Sounds odd- unless the true subscription base is 4 million, which is what I would guess - tying in with previous sales.

Gw2. Brought in 2 million brand new players into their game in a couple weeks. I would guess wow vanilla done no better in it initial weeks.

Both games are doing fine.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

it's really easy to see a lame troll atempt when you create such a stupid poll with even worse title and then you don't reply in your thread at all...

you must understand, trolling is not for everyone. Not everyone has the right touch for it.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• necoonecoo Member Posts: 16
    World of Warcraft is not dead... and won't die any time soon. The single game most likely to kill WoW is blizzards next mmo Titan and that won't be out for quite some time, even then the only reason it could kill WoW is because it would allow resources from WoW to be used in Titan similar to how Darkfall's sequal will kill Darkfall itself. That said blizzard is a big company and can quite easily support both Titan and WoW, so the chances of it dieing are quite small.
  • Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    I camed.
  • UtukuUtuku Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Becamed? lol

And their is me thinking you might of figured it out,kan du tala svenska?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpellingNazi

lol

As for the OP question..

A bot and hack infested semi asian grinder will never take WOW down.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by halflife25

It appears WOW is alive ....although losing 75% of your player base in one expansion seems to be headed in the wrong direction

• SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56

Gw didn't kill WoW, WoW isn't dead. No one believed that, and everyone know no other game will kill WoW.

But, WoW is dying. Everyone (xpt rabid fanbois) knows this.

And when WoW is taking it's final breath, BOOM, they announce Titan. Wich will be the fastest selling PC game ever.

So no, Gw didn't kill WoW, but it's the first AAA MMO ín modern days wich kinda lived up to it's own hype to most of us.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

GW2 was just another pathetic attempt to appeal to the casual hordes, but WOW responded by unleashing the pandas, and the village people rejoiced as it reached near its high 11 million mark again... 

GW2 fanbois, I hope you learned your lesson as the SWTOR and rift fanbois did.... Do not mess with the king of mmos, he will destroy you and your puny game. 

This discussion has been closed.