Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This video explains what is wrong with WoW today,

Comments

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Are you serious with that video??? Can't you remeber to post something better or what? In this video some dude is talking crap and he didn't show anything from Pandaria and probably never tried mop. It is like to talk crap about Mercedes and never tried to drive one. Sorry but it is demode to post again and again some crap about wow. Sub is again over 10 mill and servers are full of players, everyone i know are for now happy with mop.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Are you serious with that video??? Can't you remeber to post something better or what? In this video some dude is talking crap and he didn't show anything from Pandaria and probably never tried mop. It is like to talk crap about Mercedes and never tried to drive one. Sorry but it is demode to post again and again some crap about wow. Sub is again over 10 mill and servers are full of players, everyone i know are for now happy with mop.

7 million Chinese and 3 million from US+EU? Mmkay.  But thanks for the marketing tactics.

2.7 million MoP sales of 10 mil .. oh yeah, Asians get expansions for free as part of an agreement between Activision-Blizzard and China.  I guess thats why sales are low compared to "subs" >)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Karteli

7 million Chinese and 3 million from US+EU? Mmkay.  But thanks for the marketing tactics.

2.7 million MoP sales of 10 mil .. oh yeah, Asians get expansions for free as part of an agreement between Activision-Blizzard and China.  I guess thats why sales are low compared to "subs" >)

Oh very nice  and games like eq2, aoc, gw2 you can't buy from China :) Only Blizzard is so ''Samaritan'' with rest of the world. And by the way DO you have some problems with Asian people or what? Well i am from Europe and we don't think about Chinese people as second class of humans and in fact Chinese probably made hardware in your PC

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    In the heyday of Wrath of the Lich King were the Chinese not included in the subscriber base count ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Oh very nice  and games like eq2, aoc, gw2 you can't buy from China :) Only Blizzard is so ''Samaritan'' with rest of the world. And by the way DO you have some problems with Asian people or what? Well i am from Europe and we don't think about Chinese people as second class of humans and in fact Chinese probably made hardware in your PC

Oh get off your high horse.

Nobody has problems with Chinese, except people like you who start crap about allegations of what everyone else "might" feel, but doesn't.

Chinese do get free expansions, they also get Game Room Passes, which cost 6 cents per hour to play WoW.  Blizzard made them feel different, the rest of the world had no part.  This is not subjective, it is pure fact.

Blizzard’s World of Warcraft: The China Growth Story

http://www.sinletter.com/2010/03/blizzards-world-of-warcraft-the-china-growth-story/

[2009] Between 4 to 6 millions subscribers are from China and they pay 6 cents per hour to play the game.

China is a low source of income for Blizzard, especially since China limits citizens to a number of hours per week to play.  Hours played are tracked by the equivalent of a social security card, or government ID.

10 mil subscribers is just a frill number; it's not indicitive of actual revenue.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    If making raid content more accessible to players that do not belong to the 1% is the main problem of WoW, then the problem is with the 1%, not with the game. There are other things wrong with MoP like the dumbing down of the game and the addition of Pokemons. But if it's not 1337 enough for the 1%, then tough for them really.

imageimage
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Ausare
    You call it easier....many call it more fun. Not enough people to support, financially, non fun games like eve and df.

oh lawd

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

That video was spot on, and speaks of something endemic of today's society. Most people want things handed to them without working for it. The "instant gratification" society.

People forget that it's the journey, not the end point that people gain the most satisfaction from.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    If making raid content more accessible to players that do not belong to the 1% is the main problem of WoW, then the problem is with the 1%, not with the game. There are other things wrong with MoP like the dumbing down of the game and the addition of Pokemons. But if it's not 1337 enough for the 1%, then tough for them really.

Some people strive to do the difficult content and achieve it. Many of them enjoying the fact that they had something to aim for and progress towards. Some people simply enjoy the fact that there is difficult content there that they can work towards but might not ever actually complete.

Other people cba to do that and demand to be able to do all content regardless, so instead of still creating high end content, make everything easy and just call the "1%" players 1337 epeeners lulz. Great.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by syntax42
    Originally posted by itgrowls

[snip]

Nobody is asking for end-game to be handed to them.  We just want to be able to get there.  The system they had in place did not allow that for most people.  It wasn't atttainable.  We want attainable, not a free hand-out.

You are being an elitist without realizing it.  You want something that only the elite can reach.  Anything less is a hand-out to you, which is a complete exaggeration of the truth.  Get your head out of the dark hole it is in and face reality.

Exactly. Thank you! Content is not the same as elitest jerk armor....it should never be cut off by anything.

However I have to point out that the problem with WoW isn't limited to this, it's an old concept game it's what I call:

lobby-only-raid-only-endless-gear/reputation-treadmill-style-game-draining-your-wallet-for-content-you-already-paid-for......

the trouble is people are finally waking up.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

Only 1% of WoW players were done with the content. This means there was always something to do or something to look forward to for 99% of WoW players, which made them log on regulary, even at the very end of an expansion cycle.

Also, Blizzard could have delayed the expansions a little so more people would have seen the final raids. One of the reasons only 1% ever saw them was the fact that they were made 'old content' when new expansion was released.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    it's so fun to play a tank these days, specially if you queue for Scarlet Monastery and you have some jerks QQing or stealing loot;. Hit the boss while the rest of the party is busy DPSing mobs, then I call the boss, stand back and look how they are wiped; of course you can do this in other dungeons, but SM was delightful; also as a tank, the player pull everyone into the dungeon you wanna play since for DPS classes the queue is longer; my dungeon queues were almost instant; I didn't do the Scarlet Monastery fiasco all the time, but hey, it's another way of having fun in WoW, specially when you group with jerks with princess attitudes.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by nsignific

Basically crying about how more people than just his elite get to see content?

Yeah, very interesting video.

You didn't need to be "elite" or spend your days and nights preparing and doing raids, it was just the stigma that because the people that did that sort of thing made it seem like it was the thing to do. Instead of whining the ones that wanted to raid were raiding instead of standing around ironforge or shattrath complaining that they don't have easy to access purples. It's as much as the communities fault and blizzard's that this game caters to the lowest common denominator and lazy, self-entitled gits.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Ausare
    You call it easier....many call it more fun. Not enough people to support, financially, non fun games like eve and df.

What lol? If Df one wasnt being supported they wouldnt be making a number 2 to fix everything. They would have just dropped it. Eve has 500k subs... and you can buy game time with in game money..... Eve is even older than WoW. your argument is invalid. These were never suppose to have millions of subs they were created for people who enjoy that style of play. A game made by gamers that created a game they themselves wanted to play. Blizzard looks at WoW as a cash cow and doesn't even care about its players or making a game that they themselves wanna play. Actually most Blizzard devs play other MMOs. Blizzard may have a higher percentage of players, but Df and Eve crowds are more loyal and dedicated to their game than WoW players.

Originally posted by syntax42

Exactly. Thank you! Content is not the same as elitest jerk armor....it should never be cut off by anything.

Why shouldn't a limited amount of content be "cut off" by either skill level, or some other format exactly?

Why out of countless dungeons can't we have one or two that are ball breakingly hard? Why can't we have out of countless jumping puzzles, one or two that are really very difficult indeed? Why can't we have lots of puzzles, but one or two that are incredibly difficult to solve?

If you don't tie super dooper stat boost pwn all gear to them, or require them to be competitive. What exactly is wrong with having a limited amount of content actually very hard to complete?

You could have a thousand interesting and enjoyable dungeons with three that are very difficult and some people would get butthurt over the fact that they can't do the three. So instead of leaving the challenging content in there, make it easier so everyone can do it and fk anyone who actually liked that extra bit of challenge. Just call them leet ego trippers, that should give the moral highground.

If people are putting forward the case that all content should be insanely difficult for most games then I don't agree.

If people are putting forward the idea that the difficult content which only a tiny fraction of the playerbase will see, should give advantages, then I don't agree.

But saying that everyone should be able to do everything, that no content should be "elite" or which only a small fraction of the playerbase can actually do. Then no, I don't agree with that either.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

The major problem with this guy's video 2 minutes in is that he starts insinuating that the journey means the same thing to everyone as it does to him.  His examples rely almost entirely on achieving world firsts or being one of the view to complete a difficult raid encounter.  What about those of us who don't give two flips about  raid-based achievement?  What about those of us who just enjoyed leveling characters with buddies then running some casual raids on the side?  I've played WoW since launch, but I really got into it near the end of TBC, and I can say that I certainly enjoyed my journey.

This guy comes off as a crybaby ex-WoW raider who is upset because he can't feel his e-penis getting hard every time he walks into Stormwind with his high item level purples.  Everyone has them now, so he no longer feels special.  Because his entire sense of enjoyment of the game is derived from its ability to make him feel superior, he no longer has any reason to enjoy WoW.

I have to disagree I saw the video as a synopsis of all content in WoW being trivialised and this was expressed through the guys raiding experience. Having no long term goals implimented into an MMO is what is giving them the life of a single player game. The point to the video as I see it is that all the different types of content an MMO can have should have this carrot on a stick hard to achieve content whether its PvP, PvE, Raiding, Achievements, Crafting etc... couple that with interdependency you will form deep social bonds within the comunity and give dedicated players that Epic feel when they eventually achieve those long term goals. Having to dedicate yourself to a task to achieve things is in every aspect of real life and teaches humanity a lot about itself, does one attain enlightenment from their very first meditation session? Older MMO's in their nature offer this long term satisfiction and thus makes them different from most single player games and the video tries to in his point of view outline why this is not the case with WoW in its current state but it can also explain why other MMO's are in a similar state.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Funny thing is most if these failures talk about wanting hard content yet they do non that is already in the game. I am sick and tired of ppl complaining about easy content because they think it makes them look cool. The sad part is, then you armory their hat and they are all in crappy dungeon gear and haven't even set foot into anything remotely challenging. I want to see you whinners get full gold in challenge modes, get world first heroic tier 14 and then talk, but oh wait you can't because you fail at the game.

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• Sp!k3Sp!k3 Member Posts: 60

I agree 101% with this video and what is said in it!

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Oh come on. The video is full of bull. Why no timeline for heroic mode raid boss kills in Cata?

They've just removed tedium and made things accesible. Yea it was awesome to spend 3 hours forming a group for BRD and then everyone to leave because of a wipe or someone having to do laundry or whatever. Yea a lot of people bitch because they cannot be a special snowflake anymore. 99% of the people posting here did not down even 1 raid boss in heroic mode before nerfs. There's nothing wrong to give cheaper and much easier versions of content to casuals. The challenge is there for whoever wants it.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Not just WoW, it's western MMORPGs in general.

You could basically go from a new player to maxed raiding character in 1-2weeks if you did nothing else than sat on the PC and played the game. (Even faster if you get helped along the way or use some gimmicks like Refer-A-Friend in WoW).

There's literally no journey in that.

Back in the old days I remember the feeling when you dinged max after 4-6 months from the start and the game only just started at that point. I remember spending a day on class change quests in Lineage 2.

Everything

Is

Made

Too

Fucking

Easy

To

Attract

New

Players

And

Get

More

Profit.

This said I'm looking forward to FFXIV: ARR and other Asian games that still have hope.

• tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Go play on private servers if you like the old WoW so much. I'm pretty sure you will quit just like the other nostalgics who have tried them., including me.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Elitism, it sounds more like the OP is complaining because his 'uberness' has been impinged upon. Top 1 percent? there is nothing wrong with opening raids etc to 'ordinary' players. Blizzard apparently, want their players to experience as much of the game as is possible. High end game play is still there even so. Perhaps the real problem is that more players would rather experience these area's without the 'pressure' than those who prefer to do those area's as hard core raiders. image
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The harder a game is the better the memory sticks inside your head.
    Old WoW vet here and i did it all and did alot in EQ and numerous other mmo's.

What people need to understand is time changed, i woulnt have the time to grind my pots for a raid grind gold grind flasks hours on end just to get ready for tonights raid.
    But when i look back i will still say that was the best WoW time in those 8 years.

WoW became more and more casual with each patch and expansion and it attracted that kind of people who want easy rides and almost no effort done to gear themselves up.

I waited 8 months for my damn bloodfang shoulders to drop....
    I grinded 3 months for my Blue dungeon 1 set...
    Also spend countless hours for my dalrends...

But it was worth it :)

Call it nostalgia or whatever, but today games are piss easy, and hold your breath Guildwars 2 and their hardmode dungeons are giving me back that epic feeling of accomplishement.

I dropped WoW for GW2, call me a bad guy , fanboy or whatver i dont care, but WoW is nothing more then a empty shell of what it used to be.
    Also panda's made sure i would not ever come back even if they made 1 expansion as close to Vanilla...they ruined whole wow for me :(

To each his own vieuw offcourse :)

Things i remember from Vanilla:

Warsong premades for rankl 13
    Ragnaros
    Vealestrazz the guildbreaker
    Cthung
    and whole naxrammas

TBC had also 5 major raids all truly epic, dont even know where to start but damn PvP and PvE was just 10/10

And from there is went downhill...
    MoP was a bridge to far...

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

The major problem with this guy's video 2 minutes in is that he starts insinuating that the journey means the same thing to everyone as it does to him.  His examples rely almost entirely on achieving world firsts or being one of the view to complete a difficult raid encounter.  What about those of us who don't give two flips about  raid-based achievement?  What about those of us who just enjoyed leveling characters with buddies then running some casual raids on the side?  I've played WoW since launch, but I really got into it near the end of TBC, and I can say that I certainly enjoyed my journey.

This guy comes off as a crybaby ex-WoW raider who is upset because he can't feel his e-penis getting hard every time he walks into Stormwind with his high item level purples.  Everyone has them now, so he no longer feels special.  Because his entire sense of enjoyment of the game is derived from its ability to make him feel superior, he no longer has any reason to enjoy WoW.

I totally agree with this post. Special snowflakes are no longer that special. Nuff said.

imageimage
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I totally agree with this post. Special snowflakes are no longer that special. Nuff said.

You both missed the point completely. The game is not a challenge at all. It's stupidly easy and this is comming from a guy that struggled to keep up in games like EQ, so I'm no l33t or hardcore gamer. It's easy to the point of being dull. Put it this way, it's possible to solo end game dungeons, that how easy it has become! Some of us don't just play to run around with friend. If thats all I wanted I would play second life or something. I want a challege, I want to get wiped a hundred times before reaching the end. I couldn't give a toss for gear, and WoW gear looks so over the top and not just in looks to the point I laugh at it.