Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Botting and Gold farmers, are all over this game now, in every single zone.

MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

this is one of the things that lately, is killing my desire from loggin in GW2.  i find it very discouraging, and to me a mayor inmersion breaker.  that in every single zone.  no matter wich char i login.  i find this groups of naked rangers with their twisted looking names, killing every single mob over and over and over.  

i keep reporting them every time i see them but doubt anything gets done about it.

a shame to see a decent MMO , getting utterly ruined by bots like this.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

well its a sure sign of a popular mmo

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

What do you expect in a F2P game.

It's going to only get worse. So much for Anet's revolutionary idea of killing them off with real money currency.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Had this today on Borlis Pass and yes it is a huge immersion breaker.

My goal now is to find ways to lure mobs into them that overloads them.

Had 4 asurians with guns doing synchronised killing of bugs and bats in a secluded part of the game (Penzance area level 50ish)

They spent 2 minutes trying to shoot a mob through a rock at one stage.

--

Used to hate these guys in Lineage2.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Thats what happens with overhyped and over exposed mainstream MMOs. The devs should be doing more to stop it, but it's probably not as easy as pressing a button. You'd need at least 100 people per server looking for these guys and that's just impossible. this is why they have reporting features. The problem is that no one uses them. Most not even noticing when they should be using them.

It's a giant mess that's really hard to clean up. I personally don't care since I find the game boring, but if you all care about this, maybe report it when you see it and encourage others to report it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its really bad when they are breaking the game, able to bend it to teleport and other factors that make it all the worst for botting practices. The sad thing is as mentioned above, they added the gold for gems deal using the excuse it is to detract that behavior... and its pretty much done absolutely zero. Hopefully that can discourage future developers for doing something stupid like selling their own in game gold and using it as an excuse to counter gold sellers.
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    indeed, bots everywhere... 
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I never understand why are people so much against gold farmers :o). This guys have all rights to that and i don't understand in which way that affects you so much?
  • lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    i havent seen a single bot on my (european)server. and tbh - i wouldnt care - im no roleplayer ;)
  • Aimee46Aimee46 Member Posts: 11
    Here too, also on EU servers, barely bots. There  are some but not many.

Playing: GW2 & Tera.
    Played: Lotro, Lineage, Lineage2, GW1, WoW, CoHV, Tabula Rasa, AoC, Aion, Rift, Allods and several other f2p but of minor importance

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    I never understand why are people so much against gold farmers :o). This guys have all rights to that and i don't understand in which way that affects you so much?

eh.. ?

1. They usehacked accounts

2. They skew the economy

3. They end up in the same popular spots crwoding it up while using cheats

4. 1 should be enough reason

That being said ,i have looked and visited these places where there were supposedly 20 / 30 bots 24/7 but i have not seen them. Yesterday there was this guy in one of the threads (Grimal i think) who shouted 1 player in 3 bots in this game or something overly dramatic like that end then produced 2 pictures of the same 6 bots.

[mod edit]

Bots enter popular MMO's and even less popular ones it is a simple fact of any MMO.

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

It's going to only get worse. So much for Anet's revolutionary idea of killing them off with real money currency.

Do you have that link to my free gw2 account then ?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

this argument would be valid if they didn't do anything, but like most people here in these forums the OP hasn't read a single thing on subject but claim they are the expert.

they are hiring in specialized programmers to add code that will detect macros and bots running outside the game similtanously.

besides claiming they are in every zone on every server is a complete exaggeration.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Foomerang

well its a sure sign of a popular mmo

Actually, it's a sign of poor programming (teleporting hacks) and poor customer service (no ingame gm's).

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Haven´t seen any on my EU server................
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    There are bunch of nude characters runing around on eu servers grinding mobs? Are thouse bots?
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by lathaan
    i havent seen a single bot on my (european)server. and tbh - i wouldnt care - im no roleplayer ;)

Yet to see this huge invasion of botters myself.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    bot are in all mmo ,and like gw1 sooner or later  it will be like thousend of acc banned for doing that .
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've seen a few in certain spots of certain zones. On my US server, iot's hardly an epidemic though. I may spot 3-6 suspected bots in an hour of play, sometimes I play hours with out seeing a single one.

One nice thing is that with no kill stealing, no mob taggings and everyone getting full XP and loot from partial kills, they can't really do anything to annoy me beyond the occassional immersion break. Some of them are good enough at mimicing players that I'm left with nothing but a mild suspicion that I might have passed a bot in my journeys.

Occassionally, if they are farming something I'm looking for, I'll report them, then I'll tag along after them for ten minutes for quick kills before moving on.

I've played a lot of MMOs in recent years with a lot more bots than I see in GW2 and with mob tagging and kill stealing, they have been a much, much bigger issue for gameplay than here.

Bots are destructive for the economy, so I do report them and want them gone. As to the farmers being controlled by real people, I could care less as a player, even if I wonder if the person on the other end is actually doing so for a meaningful wage in their country, or if they are "slave labor", as some Asian countries do use prisoners to farm for RMT. I guess you could have a lot worse prison jobs, but farming by a script for twelve hours a day would probably drive anyone mad if they play long enough, no matter how good the game is.

Hopefully Arenanet can get them further under control. I have some faith that they will be able to. Once the new security measures are in place, there will be fewer stolen accounts for hacking/farming rings. Arenanet also have hired some external experts to help them in developing monitoring algorithms to help spot bots that players haven't already reported. NCSoft also had some success with bots in Aion, though I don't know if that success continued as the support budget likely has diminished with the number of subscribers.

It's just a reality of almost any MMO today, but, as I said, I've seen much worse in other games and bots have had a much, much worse impact in other games with mechanics that put bots in a possition to steal kills and resources from real players.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by itgrowls

this argument would be valid if they didn't do anything, but like most people here in these forums the OP hasn't read a single thing on subject but claim they are the expert.

they are hiring in specialized programmers to add code that will detect macros and bots running outside the game similtanously.

besides claiming they are in every zone on every server is a complete exaggeration.

Why didn't they hire those specialized prograrmmers a long time ago? It is not like botting is a new problem for NCSoft titles. 

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Playing on eu server and I have yet see this bot invansion ... just becouse ppl are killing mobs in one area, it doesnt mean they are bots ...
  • SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Haven´t seen any on my EU server................

Same, haven't seen any on Aurora Glade (eu).

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Since I moved to Tarnished Coast, I see much less in the lower level zones of Norn and Human.  If you are in NA, I'd recommend this server if bots are an issue.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

well said

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Anyone that expected GW2, or any other online game for that matter, to be completely bot free is an uttter fool.

What matters is how the company reacts to the issue, whi ch is something that ArenaNet has handled quite well:

- Thousands of banned accounts

- Harsh Diminishing Returns on farming

- Giving people an option to buy gold in a legitimate fashion

Also, on Darkhaven I have yet to experience a botter that has affected my gameplay experience. In fact, I dunno if I have seen any botters whatsoever.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I've seen a couple of bot-like characters, but nothing worth worrying about. Literally zero naked rangers or anything else as obvious. Either these complaints are exaggerated a lot or EU servers just don't get as many bots as NA ones.