Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Loot? 24hr lockouts? Permadeath? Oh.

Comments

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210
    If the op would have read the faq on the main site it would have answered his question.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    This kind of game is a fad to me.  I understand the appeal but the penalties that make it exciting also make you realize how much effort is lost.  And waiting 24 hours if you want to keep your loot?  I thought waiting in CounterStrike after each death was boring.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Ok i can get over full loot thing but 24 hour lock out for dying? well no thank you. And i was really looking forward to this game.

Well it is to encourage people to go for the hardcore version.

I like this style of pvp

I get all your loot and I even get to grief you so you cant play ... awesome !

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138

This mess could be easily avoided if they made 2 servers, one with their hardcore pvp stuff, and one with pve only, less penalizing deaths.

But it's their game, they do whatever they want with it, though that would appeal more players that way.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

This is why 'old school' gamers can't have nice things.

Just can't agree on which parts of the 'good ol' games'  were good.   When someone tries something like the old days, they get complaints instead of money. 

I don't remember any of the "good ol' games" having permadeath or a 24 hour lockout if you died.  So neither one of these were taken from the "good ol' games."  I am interested to know their thinking behind the 24 hour lockout.

I don't remember any with permadeath, however I do remember most of them having fairly severe consequences for death.

In most games today, there are almost no consequences for death, which is why those games seem like trivial arcade games.  In such games, our characters feel trivial, as does the gameworld, because they are nothing more than inconsequential pieces of meat for the grinder.  There's no reason not to throw them into the zerg grinder.

Even in a game, death should be something you don't want to have happen to your character.  Most other games have failed to make this aspect relevant.  War Z is on the right track.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AralvarAralvar Member Posts: 34

Honestly I hate how people who like permadeath like to ruin MMORPGs. Let me explain, it seems every zombie survival MMO seems to want to copy the whole "play for the short experience then start all over" thing from DayZ, and it's just there to make macho morons feel cool because the game is so "dangerous". Why do people think that the only two options for an MMORPG are "Lose everything when you die" and "Lose absolutely nothing when you die". Can there seriously be no middle option that appeals to both people? How about certain items with be lost on death, but you keep your gear? If anyone here has played STALKER Online (which is in beta), that is similar to the kind of thing that I mean. I'm looking to have fun with hours of creating a good character, and if you implement the right amount of items and quests/missions and such in he game, it shouldn't be a problem. I honestly wouldn't care that people are obsessed with permadeath if IT DIDN'T KEEP RUINING MMOS FOR THE REST OF US! Now I don't even see a future in an actual MMORPG Zombie Survival, all people want to do is copy DayZ so that your character's equipment is always just a rental. No thanks, I don't see why people can't just wait until DayZ becomes standalone, now The WarZ has to do literally the same thing? This makes me sick, thanks for ruining any chance of a Zombie Survival RPG that appeals to the rest of us, to ever exist.

And now I am prepared to get flamed by the very same people that I just mentioned, hopefully a few intelligent responses will be found, though I doubt any of them would agree with me.

I wonder if they could make it so that while you're waiting for 24 hours, you are allowed to control a zombie.  I'm sure that would mess everything up but it could be interesting having some smart zombies to watch out for.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by coretex666

Isnt this an example of that oldschool hardcore people keep shouting for?

Permadeath kind of suits a game of this kind.  Waiting 24 hours seem to be the less favorable option.

What old school MMOs had permadeath?  I don't remember any..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ElGuappoElGuappo Member Posts: 94

The 24hr lockout for normal players dying might change but right now that's the number they're giving. Yes you have 5 character slots and can play other characters you've played but each one gets the same rule, obviously; die and see you tomorrow.

Aside from the fact it seems way too excessive, two things really bug me about it. The first is that you can, as someone said on this thread, buy an instant ressurection from the shop. So, hey it's all to do with immersion and teaching people to play properly and cautiously and, what's that? Ready cash? That'll do nicely. Off you go sir. The second thing is that so far the idea is you respawn where you died. That I don't get at all. Wouldn't it be better to have that happen at a safe haven somewhere? And secondly, how long do you think it will be before someone invents a mod that adds a countdown timer and locator to people you killed respawning? Corpse camping will become a profession...

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

• Noslack76Noslack76 Member Posts: 9
    you can have more than one charactor is how i read it so its not that bad besides I will be be playing perma death hardcore.  im tired of watered down games.
  • Noslack76Noslack76 Member Posts: 9
    since it is perma death i dont think griefing will be as bad.  the community will grow tired quickly of a mass murderer and kill him.  The thing is most griefers will not have a lot of good eqiupment, becuase they will be killed off there is also going to be a bounty system.  and i think it will be neet to actually feel the loss of your ingame friends when they are killed in a fight
    Originally posted by Noslack76
    you can have more than one charactor is how i read it so its not that bad besides I will be be playing perma death hardcore.  im tired of watered down games.

So you have to lose everything when you die or else it's watered down? No middle option, like you only lose extra items in your inventory but not your equipment? You're exactly the kind of macho moron I'm talking about. You people have such a hardon for permadeath that you think that every game has to have it.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Guys we're talking about a post-apocalyptic world where the basic objective is to survive.  The game isn't about collecting "phat lewt".  It's about killing zombies with some friends and surviving.  You will die, probably a lot.  If losing your precious gear sounds too terrible for you, then don't play.  But, in this type of game, it just makes sense.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by elvenwolf

Well i don't like full loot games... but.. thre is a market for such games and is good they do exist

Yeah, about a million big, DayZ. Bigger than most WoW clones.

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Guys we're talking about a post-apocalyptic world where the basic objective is to survive.  The game isn't about collecting "phat lewt".  It's about killing zombies with some friends and surviving.  You will die, probably a lot.  If losing your precious gear sounds too terrible for you, then don't play.  But, in this type of game, it just makes sense.

Killing time in an FPS game with perma death makes perfect sense.  It really doesn't make much sense in an MMO.  Just saying.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366739/WOW-Servers-hacked-entire-cities-dying-LOL.html

Now, imagine just for a moment, the howls in a permadeath game...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    You don't like easy mode, you don't like hard mode, you don't like ..... Some people never like  anything. SO if you don't like don't play.
  • Ridan477Ridan477 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    You don't like easy mode, you don't like hard mode, you don't like ..... Some people never like  anything. SO if you don't like don't play.

I think you have it completely right. People like to bandwagon and complain about everything.

Someone else also said it right, perma death and lockout make sense for this genre and type of game. If there was not a system like that inplace it would be just a left for dead game with a large map.

I may be wrong but I thought I read that they have a sort of bank/locker system  that allows you to stache some of your gear. Sor if you are playing on normal mode and die, once you log back in you can access that gear that you have stached up.  Hardcore you still lose it all.

Scoobin it up on the daily.

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Oh really? Play DayZ then. I hate it when people are narrow minded about games, like two genres can't mix. Survival and RPG, is that really so scary to you? When you die you lose random items from your inventory (excluding ammo), but keep all equipped items. Maybe you lose xp, if the game has a skills/leveling system. Or we could just do it the generic and lazy way "LOSE EVERYTHING ON DEATH". You'd think this stupid permadeath plague would have it's own audience, and a Zombie Survival RPG would have it's. Instead, the permadeath plague has to infest any Zombie Survival game that exists or will ever exist.

• cchow4cchow4 Member Posts: 8

I think people are just viewing this the wrong way.

Warz isnt suppose to be your traditional mmo. u join servers with w/e u have and you go at the world. it doesnt matter what you lose when u die, u evntually get good enough to gear up quickly upon respawn. Its all about doing better on respawn and the next time around.

Its like in counterstrike. noone complains that u dont keep ur stuff after dieing. same mentality should be applied here imo.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

You have to keep in mind that "survivor" games like this are more like simulators, than they are like games.

I was actually pretty disapointed to hear there was anything OTHER than permadeath in War Z

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Stay away from this game dude, ITS NOT FOR YOU,  you already have Wow and lot of other games for careless- easy play -keep ur phat lootz to show ur l33tnees.  U AND THE REST OF THE CAREBEARS FATGEARSATTACHEDRAID! GTFO. ITS A SURVIVAL GAME S U R V I V A L G A ME
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

Stay away from this game dude, ITS NOT FOR YOU,  you already have Wow and lot of other games for careless- easy play -keep ur phat lootz to show ur l33tnees.  U AND THE REST OF THE CAREBEARS FATGEARSATTACHEDRAID! GTFO. ITS A SURVIVAL GAME S U R V I V A L G A ME

This. No perma No survival

Yes we are all aware that something can go horribly wrong with internet / hacking / Power-outage ...bascially any imaginable situation thats out of your control that would cause you to lose your stuff... In the end this is what I chose and im prepared to deal with it.. after all its just a game

Instead of just joining any thread that has the word "permadeath" just to state that you dont agree with it... there are 2 very simple options

1. Play hardcore get great loot and risk losing everything.. permadeath

OR

2. Play normal get average loot and dont lose everything.. spend real money on revives

All games cant be the way you want them to be... sorry

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Honestly, if you want a Zombie game that does NOT have permadeath then just go to the shops and buy one! There are many available!

Currently the only permadeath Zombie game is DayZ which is currently just a mod that will be turning in to a stand alone product soon. There is also The War Z which will be in alpha soon too, that's 2 games vs LOADS of softcore zombie games currently available.

Without permadeath the whole surivival angle is a giant waste of time.

Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

Yeah, using magic and swords isn't the same as a zombie apocalypse you fucktard. The point of an MMORPG isn't just to stock up on "phat lewt", play another MMORPG game from Runescape once in a while. I love it when people prove my point: "OMG YOU AREN'T HARDCORE ENOUGH TO BE PLAYIN' DIS". If it were real survival, you would die one time and that would be it. So please stop with this "its reelistik and stuff lol it so hardcore i are a badass". You are a stupid person, who is narrow minded. Go play DayZ for fuck's sake.