Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com - First impressions on Mortal Online

FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Read this gem of a thread before it will disappear tomorrow when Beau writes his first impressions:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/howdy-covering-the-game-for-massively-com-this-week.79404/

It's full of hilarity, fanboys begging to write a good review, the dev coming out to offer a premium account to cover up the shitty trial experience, people asking him if he's going to play it "hardcore" etc.

"Please be gentle. This is the best game I've ever played and I want it to flourish.

On this note, it is very difficult to give a fair review with only one week in game time. There is so much hidden content, conflict, and crafting that you've never even seen. Your first impression may be a little negative, and that is understandable, but this game is deeper than most people can ever imagine."
Yea maan, deeper than most people can EVER IMAGINE. Hardcore sandbox, man.

You also get to see Beau's first hour in Mortal Online, it's hilarious. Apparently there is a tutorial noob quests now. "Kill 15 Springboks". Yup, creative. But even that seems impossible to accomplish due to bugs:

http://www.twitch.tv/massivelytv/b/334127722 <--- This is the state of Mortal Online now. Click if you wanna laugh.

So, his column will be out tomorrow. I doubt the thread will survive that.

PEACE BROS

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

=D

That thread is epic... Can you say "Pandering"???

Anyhow, I await massivleys im pression with bated breath. I also agree that things should be taken into account (such as a weeklong trial not fully representing the game) BUT in the same vein I ALSO think that it should be taken into account this shit has been out for over 2 years now and is still in such a bug ridden , unfinished and broken state.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Is he playing single player?  LMAO

I foresee a "good review" in Mortal Onlines future if Hnerik can scrounge up the money.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Beau:

"a column I do on Massively.com about first impressions of games. It's a long story but it's not a review."

"As I said, it's not a review ...but I know someone will say "You can't do a review based on a week of play!"

5 pages later:

A player:

"On this note, it is very difficult to give a fair review with only one week in game time."

"You choose a bad time to look at the game. Pop is quite low at the moment for reasons. we in a stage of "metamorphosis" and adjustment."

So when would be a good time? Awakening was to be MOs savior.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Lol at giant arrow in the middle of the screen. So much for "hardcore" approach.
  • YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162

I already spoke the truth on that post, others should as well.  

This one is a hoot as well

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/my-thoughts-and-emotions-towards-this-game-development.79512/

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by YojimboBimbo

I already spoke the truth on that post, others should as well.  

This one is a hoot as well

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/my-thoughts-and-emotions-towards-this-game-development.79512/

-I am actually really surprised that thread is not deleted. Quite telling though-

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Lol at giant arrow in the middle of the screen. So much for "hardcore" approach.

never seen a hardcore tutorial before :)

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Sadly I must say we should be better than this. I'm far from an MO lover, my post history will show that if you care to look but... I can't kick a community when it's down this bad. MO never had a shot of living up to it's potential due to the morons running the show, we all knew it. There were only a few that held out hope. Lets not stone them publicly now that it's starting to really hit home how bad things are. Lets move on and let them mourn and figure out how to go on or move on in peace.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

It's a bit concerning that a developer offered him a bribe (free premium account) and he appeared to consider accepting.  No idea is he did or not, but surely rule number one of journalism is to avoid the appearance of impropriety.  First identifying yourself as a reviewer is like a food critic announcing that he was writing a review when he placed his order.  Then if you want a premium account your publication should pay for it.

I mean.. can you possibly take any quote about "helpful players" seriously when you announce that you are live streaming/writing impressions for a week?  Heck, I bet Henrick had his staff alert him every time the guy logged in so that they could all login around him...

Well.. that's my take at least.  Journalism in general has gone down the tubes and that's not just specific to gaming.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

It's a bit concerning that a developer offered him a bribe (free premium account) and he appeared to consider accepting.  No idea is he did or not, but surely rule number one of journalism is to avoid the appearance of impropriety.  First identifying yourself as a reviewer is like a food critic announcing that he was writing a review when he placed his order.  Then if you want a premium account your publication should pay for it.

I mean.. can you possibly take any quote about "helpful players" seriously when you announce that you are live streaming/writing impressions for a week?  Heck, I bet Henrick had his staff alert him every time the guy logged in so that they could all login around him...

Well.. that's my take at least.  Journalism in general has gone down the tubes and that's not just specific to gaming.

Perhaps he's hoping for a "backroom" deal with SV? $$$     

Anyway...I'm sure SV and the "helpful" player base showed him what MO "really" has to offer,

I really doubt that massively would risk their credibility for anything that SV has to offer but that's just me I suppose. <.<
    Originally posted by FastSloth
    I really doubt that massively would risk their credibility for anything that SV has to offer but that's just me I suppose. <.<

I dont get why theyre doing a first impression on a dying game 2+ years after relase.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

Hertix said:

Also, that guy with the yellow lettering who commented on this thread is the lead programmer for this game and just offered you a free full account. I wasn't sure if you realized that or not.

Massively Reviewer said:

Ah, didn't see that. he can bump me up all he wants. As always, I'd be willing to pay as well. Right now I'm just on the 14 day. Alright, see ya in game!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Hancakes

I dont get why theyre doing a first impression on a dying game 2+ years after relase.

Who knows, doesnt matter much, anytime MO related news gets posted, no one gives a damn.  SV has used their lifelines already and game is on its way out.  

The massively guy should beware taking free accounts.  Does not look good at all ethics wise.  

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Who knows, doesnt matter much, anytime MO related news gets posted, no one gives a damn.  SV has used their lifelines already and game is on its way out.  

The massively guy should beware taking free accounts.  Does not look good at all ethics wise.  

Beau states he's using the free trial, not any "premium" accounts that were thrown at him.

Edit: And it doesn't make a hill of beans difference if he did take the "premium" account. I've seen Beau in action enough to know if it's a turd, he'll call it one ( albeit in a bit nicer way than I would ).

I mean WTF...

1.  Dont annouce you're there, let alone give player name and when you'll be playing

2.  Dont take 'freebies"

He may very well call it like he sees it and I enjoyed the above stream, but he"ll never be taken seriously with this approach.

Beau states he's using the free trial, not any "premium" accounts that were thrown at him.

Edit: And it doesn't make a hill of beans difference if he did take the "premium" account. I've seen Beau in action enough to know if it's a turd, he'll call it one ( albeit in a bit nicer way than I would ).

1.  Dont annouce you're there, let alone give player name and whe you'll be playing

2.  Dont take 'freebies"

For a review, maybe. As Beau points out time and time again, he's not doing a "review". He's only giving his impressions. There is a big difference, you know.

But this "first impression" is to mirror the average noob experience.   Most noobs aren't catered to by the development team and players.  What would be the point?

1.  Dont annouce you're there, let alone give player name and whe you'll be playing

2.  Dont take 'freebies"

For a review, maybe. As Beau points out time and time again, he's not doing a "review". He's only giving his impressions. There is a big difference, you know.

But this "first impression" is to mirror the average noob experience.   Most noobs aren't catered to by the development team and players.  What would be the point?

true that. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    What happened to all the talk about the new and improved AI?  Henrik posted about it himself several times and how everyone would be amazed.  Is that really it?  You hit a deer and it runs away like a rocket and then comes back 5 seconds later?  I like the part at about 29 minutes in where the deer goes under the ground and disappears.  If thats the best AI they can come up with after all that time they worked on it, its truely sad.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin
    What happened to all the talk about the new and improved AI?  Henrik posted about it himself several times and how everyone would be amazed.  Is that really it?  You hit a deer and it runs away like a rocket and then comes back 5 seconds later?  I like the part at about 29 minutes in where the deer goes under the ground and disappears.  If thats the best AI they can come up with after all that time they worked on it, its truely sad.

Sure does set a "new standard" for AI. lol

Originally posted by Talonsin

It was bullshit obviously.  

2.  Dont take 'freebies"

But most game devs also don't cater to people who stream a bit about their game. So meh. :D

2.  Dont take 'freebies"

But most game devs also don't cater to people who stream a bit about their game. So meh. :D

Henrik still believes any press is good press,  hell MO has had 1000x more than it deserves yet its still a failure. image

Wow, they just deleted the "other games" section on the MO forums.  Seems they did not like all the folks that were leaving for darkfall.  
    Wow, they just deleted the "other games" section on the MO forums.  Seems they did not like all the folks that were leaving for darkfall.  

Many went to Chivalry. (a working mod)