Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Way too strict moderation.

1356

Comments

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

    I agree with this statement... I have been here a long time as well and watched it change over time.  I have been banned probably more than anyone else here, some I deserved some were just silly bans that I did not deserve.

    Would be REAL nice to make the amount of times we "report" be viewable in our profile.

    I have never reported anyone for anything on this site in all the years I have been here and all the arguements I have been in.... just saying.

    image

  • defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common

    if someone has the power to change something, he will use it for his OWN good no matter what.

    rules of contuct are bull, u can play with words to close a thread or ban someone without a specific reason

  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

    I agree with this statement... I have been here a long time as well and watched it change over time.  I have been banned probably more than anyone else here, some I deserved some were just silly bans that I did not deserve.

    Would be REAL nice to make the amount of times we "report" be viewable in our profile.

    I have never reported anyone for anything on this site in all the years I have been here and all the arguements I have been in.... just saying.

    -I wasnt insunuating that you were (although I see how you could think that re-reading my post)

    I was just commenting that I think it would be nice to know (since I think there are a few here who really abuse the system andby making it public it show who is "trigger happy" and who "lives and let live")

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

    I agree with this statement... I have been here a long time as well and watched it change over time.  I have been banned probably more than anyone else here, some I deserved some were just silly bans that I did not deserve.

    Would be REAL nice to make the amount of times we "report" be viewable in our profile.

    I have never reported anyone for anything on this site in all the years I have been here and all the arguements I have been in.... just saying.

    -I wasnt insunuating that you were (although I see how you could think that re-reading my post)

    I was just commenting that I think it would be nice to know (since I think there are a few here who really abuse the system andby making it public it show who is "trigger happy" and who "lives and let live")

    Oh no worries I didn't think that but was merely stating that for my own self, I agree there is others here who do abuse the report feature.

    image

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon

    I got a warning for this the other day.

     

     

    I am not so sure about your assessment in my experience. My guild has more or less just  vanished. Only a couple of them were even 80 so I suppose it depends upon how you define "longevity." I suppose assuming you do every bit of content, at a casual pace, this game does have a pretty long life, so in that case I could agree with the score. But on the other hand, as most of my friend's list and guild roster is going dark a month in, that score seems somehow disingeuous in my opinion.

     

    Me - 15 of us with 4 leading the way, came over from TSW. I logged in last night, to see how people were doing,  there was one person on. That person was not one of the 15 either.  Anecdotal evidence, yes it is. True none the less, for better or for worse.

    Sadly, it seems like anecdotal evidence is not really lining up with the critical reviews very well. I will play as long as I have fun, and I still am, but I can see the light coming through the door at this point.  Found myself looking at the planetside 2 website a lot these days, and even thinking  about something I swore off...MoP. Still gonna take more to make me play KungFu Pana Online than a failed GW2, but the fact that I have even thought it kinda saddens me. =)

    Me- I feel you man lol. Pandaland and PS2 for me atm. They fit pretty nicely. I've been almost embarrassed to say I'm playing pandaland after almost a year and half... If you get the chance to play ps2 you should.

     

     

    really

  • LarsaLarsa NurembergPosts: 990Member

    I have to agree with the notion that fans from new AAA releases get more leeway than people posting with a critical attitude towards these games. I believe that's in the general spirit of MMORPG.com as promoter for the gaming industry - but certainly not as a critical voice. Perhaps MMORPG.com has become more a fansite than a discussion site over the years.

    Apart from that I don't find much wrong with the moderation here. Both the moderators and MikeB (but I don't share his gaming preferences! image) do a good job. To the best of my knowledge I never had a post of mine moderated or have been warned or banned on this site.

    One thread I made was locked but Mike unlocked it very soon after I sent him an E-Mail. I believe it was just human error that the thread was locked, errors will happen so now and then, we're all humans, no big deal.

    I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

  • PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member
    Originally posted by bcbully

    I got a warning for this the other day.

     

     

    I am not so sure about your assessment in my experience. My guild has more or less just  vanished. Only a couple of them were even 80 so I suppose it depends upon how you define "longevity." I suppose assuming you do every bit of content, at a casual pace, this game does have a pretty long life, so in that case I could agree with the score. But on the other hand, as most of my friend's list and guild roster is going dark a month in, that score seems somehow disingeuous in my opinion.

     

    Me - 15 of us with 4 leading the way, came over from TSW. I logged in last night, to see how people were doing,  there was one person on. That person was not one of the 15 either.  Anecdotal evidence, yes it is. True none the less, for better or for worse.

    Sadly, it seems like anecdotal evidence is not really lining up with the critical reviews very well. I will play as long as I have fun, and I still am, but I can see the light coming through the door at this point.  Found myself looking at the planetside 2 website a lot these days, and even thinking  about something I swore off...MoP. Still gonna take more to make me play KungFu Pana Online than a failed GW2, but the fact that I have even thought it kinda saddens me. =)

    Me- I feel you man lol. Pandaland and PS2 for me atm. They fit pretty nicely. I've been almost embarrassed to say I'm playing pandaland after almost a year and half... If you get the chance to play ps2 you should.

     

     

    really

     

    Holy crap.

     

    btw: I have the exact same 15 player guild with not a soul online thing going on. I'm back with MoP now too.

  • PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 616Member Uncommon

    I didn't read all the 100's of replies on this thread but i'm curious if anyone touched on the real issue?

     

    I'm 99% sure mods don't read each and every single post on this site.  I believe they rely on the community to flag/report people and check on those as a whole... 

     

    So the REAL issue?  Kids get mad that someone said something they don't agree with, they report that person, mod reads it (and likely no other posts related to it) and makes a judgement against the player. 

     

    Example:

     

    Kid says "WoW is stupid, anyone who plays WoW is a child and lives at home with their parents in the basement..."

    Someone replies  "You, sir, are an idiot... please leave these forums right now"

    Kid gets mad, reports "Someone"

    Mod -> Reads thread calling someone an idiot and issues ban....

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

    I agree with this statement... I have been here a long time as well and watched it change over time.  I have been banned probably more than anyone else here, some I deserved some were just silly bans that I did not deserve.

    Would be REAL nice to make the amount of times we "report" be viewable in our profile.

    I have never reported anyone for anything on this site in all the years I have been here and all the arguements I have been in.... just saying.

    -I wasnt insunuating that you were (although I see how you could think that re-reading my post)

    I was just commenting that I think it would be nice to know (since I think there are a few here who really abuse the system andby making it public it show who is "trigger happy" and who "lives and let live")

    Those "Trigger Happy" reporters seem to forget just how often they type questionable posts. It's a double edged sword theat can certainly come back to cut them too. 

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,998Member Uncommon
    Well yeah, personal attacks are not allowed

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Painlezz

    Kid says "WoW is stupid, anyone who plays WoW is a child and lives at home with their parents in the basement..."

    Someone replies  "You, sir, are an idiot... please leave these forums right now"

    Kid gets mad, reports "Someone"

    Mod -> Reads thread calling someone an idiot and issues ban....

    Chuckle.  You, sir, have a simplistic and unrealistic viewpoint of what it is that mods do.  (Please leave the forums right now?)

     

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by bcbully

    I got a warning for this the other day.

     

     

    I am not so sure about your assessment in my experience. My guild has more or less just  vanished. Only a couple of them were even 80 so I suppose it depends upon how you define "longevity." I suppose assuming you do every bit of content, at a casual pace, this game does have a pretty long life, so in that case I could agree with the score. But on the other hand, as most of my friend's list and guild roster is going dark a month in, that score seems somehow disingeuous in my opinion.

     

    Me - 15 of us with 4 leading the way, came over from TSW. I logged in last night, to see how people were doing,  there was one person on. That person was not one of the 15 either.  Anecdotal evidence, yes it is. True none the less, for better or for worse.

    Sadly, it seems like anecdotal evidence is not really lining up with the critical reviews very well. I will play as long as I have fun, and I still am, but I can see the light coming through the door at this point.  Found myself looking at the planetside 2 website a lot these days, and even thinking  about something I swore off...MoP. Still gonna take more to make me play KungFu Pana Online than a failed GW2, but the fact that I have even thought it kinda saddens me. =)

    Me- I feel you man lol. Pandaland and PS2 for me atm. They fit pretty nicely. I've been almost embarrassed to say I'm playing pandaland after almost a year and half... If you get the chance to play ps2 you should.

     

     

    really

     

    Holy crap.

     

    btw: I have the exact same 15 player guild with not a soul online thing going on. I'm back with MoP now too.

    55 player guild, we all went back to MoP... it is a better game period.

    image

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

    I agree with this statement... I have been here a long time as well and watched it change over time.  I have been banned probably more than anyone else here, some I deserved some were just silly bans that I did not deserve.

    Would be REAL nice to make the amount of times we "report" be viewable in our profile.

    I have never reported anyone for anything on this site in all the years I have been here and all the arguements I have been in.... just saying.

    -I wasnt insunuating that you were (although I see how you could think that re-reading my post)

    I was just commenting that I think it would be nice to know (since I think there are a few here who really abuse the system andby making it public it show who is "trigger happy" and who "lives and let live")

    Those "Trigger Happy" reporters seem to forget just how often they type questionable posts. It's a double edged sword theat can certainly come back to cut them too. 

    That would be golden.

  • MMOman101MMOman101 Posts: 1,274Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

    I don't have a problem with strict moderation. I DO have a problem with inconsistent moderation though, which this site has in spades. It seems like what gets moderated and what doesn't depends entirely upon how a particular moderator feels that day. Also there's a LOT of favoritism & double standards going on around here, which further pisses me off.

    Making everyone adhere strictly to the rules is fine. Making exceptions for people because they possess a certain status, are friends of site employees, or for any other reason is NOT.

    I think this has to do with the volunteerist (pretty sure that isn't actually a word, but you get the meaning I hope) nature.  Since each games forum has a different moderator (and some likely have no volunteers so are handled by the employees) it means different things are going to get treated differently.  I do think that if you think you have gotten a raw deal by a mod you can appeal it to MikeB and the only time I ever received a warning he withdrew it when I emailed him.  It isn't perfect but it is what happens when you use valunteers rather than paid employees.  

    I agree with both of you.  Volunteer moderators are not paid and you get what you pay for.  In this case you get favortism for the most part.  Not muchcan be done.  They are not going to pay people to comb these forums day and night. 
    The interent in general has become a haven for rude and inappropraite behavior.  I would prefer heavy moderation that is fair on any site. 

  • gaugemewgaugemew Madison, WIPosts: 158Member

    prepare for a ban.  My first account was banned by the mods for bringing up their over moderation.  Unfortunately until legislation passes that all public spaces (whether owned by privately held entities or not) are protected by free speech, there is not much you can do. 

    I've wanted to start a game forum myself that would have a mission of not banning any type of speech and to let the community police itself.  But gaining traction is hard.

    This site does over moderate though.  Especially when a mod decide he likes a game. 

  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member Uncommon

    Most of the reports you send go straight through to the banhammer.

    I don't think the mods actually spend time thinking and reading about the report.

  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member
    Originally posted by gaugemew

    prepare for a ban.  My first account was banned by the mods for bringing up their over moderation.  Unfortunately until legislation passes that all public spaces (whether owned by privately held entities or not) are protected by free speech, there is not much you can do. 

    I've wanted to start a game forum myself that would have a mission of not banning any type of speech and to let the community police itself.  But gaining traction is hard.

    This site does over moderate though.  Especially when a mod decide he likes a game. 

    This is an interesting post.

    First, I do NOT WANT LEGISLATION which gives Free Speech "everywhere". In fact, I want less Legislation regarding...Everything. I support property rights (even virtual) which allow owners to run things as dictatorial as they wish. I want a Buisness to be able to DISCRIMINATE if they so desire, against ANYONE for Any reason.

    -Look, anyone who thinks we even have Free Speech in the USA is sadly mistaken. We have "Free Speech Zones" now and need a "permit" to protest. This is vitally against the notion of Freedom (which is a word which means little...)

    I DO think this site is overly moderated and inconsidtent with said moderation- But I will be damned if I want any "LAW" forcing MMORPG.COM to run their website in any way. Its their website and their property and that needs to MEAN SOMETHING.

    I joined this thread because we are discussing Moderation and expressing opinions. Hopefully they will take heed- But I am totally oppsed to ANY legislation whatsoever to "force" them to allow unfettered "free speech".

  • kostoslavkostoslav somborPosts: 459Member
    I am always getting reported by rift loving ppl
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,998Member Uncommon
    Do any of you folks posting specific moderation actions or comments that your other account got banned actually read the rules for this site? They're in a link at the bottom, recommend you check them out. Should greatly increase your understanding of why perhaps you sometimes are being moderated.

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Do any of you folks posting specific moderation actions or comments that your other account got banned actually read the rules for this site? They're in a link at the bottom, recommend you check them out. Should greatly increase your understanding of why perhaps you sometimes are being moderated.

    Hmmmmm- I havnt a clue about anyones "other" accounts. I posted specifics about THIS account being banned (which is the term THEY use for a suspension)

    As far as commenting on "specifics" (as I quoted one of my "bans") this was nessasary in the spirit of this thread to show examples when others were talking about "trolling" and examples were lacking.

    If I were banned for THAT (again, ban means suspended ) I would not complain because it IS STATED. My complaints are for reasons such as I quoted (and broke the rules by doing such)

    -Sometimes peaceful non compliance becomes a nessesity. =)

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,998Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Do any of you folks posting specific moderation actions or comments that your other account got banned actually read the rules for this site? They're in a link at the bottom, recommend you check them out. Should greatly increase your understanding of why perhaps you sometimes are being moderated.

    Hmmmmm- I havnt a clue about anyones "other" accounts. I posted specifics about THIS account being banned (which is the term THEY use for a suspension)

    As far as commenting on "specifics" (as I quoted one of my "bans") this was nessasary in the spirit of this thread to show examples when others were talking about "trolling" and examples were lacking.

    If I were banned for THAT (again, ban means suspended ) I would not complain because it IS STATED. My complaints are for reasons such as I quoted (and broke the rules by doing such)

    -Sometimes peaceful non compliance becomes a nessesity. =)

    I was referring specifically to guagemew's admission that his first account was banned, clearly admitting in this thread that he's viloating a primary tenant (no multiple accounts) of the rules. (and he can expect this account to now be banned)

    A 2nd primary tenant has been violated by several posters here discussing specific moderations they've received, again, expect to receive more warnings /bans for violating the rules.

    Its really quite simple, don't violate the rules, if you feel you've been moderated unfairly, send them to MikeB (and I agree some of the examples I've seen here are worthy of appeal) and most important of all, keep it civil.

    And in the end, sometimes you have to just conceed that it is their site and they get to make the rules.  I got tagged with a warning yesterday which I just knew I was going to get, even though my post was quite witty and even the person I made it about thanked me for the flattery.  They don't always appreciate cleverness on this site. image

    BTW, only because it appears moderators don't really work much on the weekends has this thread survived so long, I expect sometime later this afternoon Amana will once again walk the forums and this will be the end of the conversation.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

    I would give out examples to "certain things" that will get your post deleted automatically for dumb reasons, but I don't feel like making another account to do it freely..

    Still, keep in mind that games that advertise on the site get "special treatment" for sure..

     

     

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member


    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Nevermind closing threads, I think the 2-3 day bans constantly are the most frustrating.Debates and arguments keep the forum dwellers interested and visiting the site, getting banned does not, I dissapear for weeks usually when I get banned because I forget about the site.I've been banned like 4 times and I haven't even been here for a year.
    I've been here since 2006. Never once been banned or got a "notice" of any kind. May I suggest trying to word your responses like you are addressing other human beings rather than hiding behind the anonymity that is the internet and letting whatever your heart desires flow out through your fingertips?

    Choose your words thoughtfully. Think about what you are writing. Look at it critically. Don't just let your fingers fly and damned be the consequences.

    I think the Moderators do a good job. There is a lot of shit posted here on the forums. And I mean *shit*. People don't think before they post. The rules are laid out nicely here: Rules of Conduct There is also a nice Notice of Increased Moderation in the Pub area. Stickied even. Try reading these. May help ease the ban hammer for you. Personally, I have never read either of these two subjects. I guess I know how to conduct myself around other human beings without being told what not to do.

    As far as locking threads go, How many X-Fire threads do you want, OP? And how many of them fell to in-fighting and bickering? How much discussion of X-Fire and it's mechanics actually takes place? I really do not know as I now avoid those topics now. It's like trying to discuss the color of air. Both are pointless.

    What is the OP actually looking for here? Do you want a free-for-all, anything goes type of forum experience? Where do *you* draw the line for moderation?

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

     


    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Nevermind closing threads, I think the 2-3 day bans constantly are the most frustrating.

     

    Debates and arguments keep the forum dwellers interested and visiting the site, getting banned does not, I dissapear for weeks usually when I get banned because I forget about the site.

    I've been banned like 4 times and I haven't even been here for a year.


    I've been here since 2006. Never once been banned or got a "notice" of any kind. May I suggest trying to word your responses like you are addressing other human beings rather than hiding behind the anonymity that is the internet and letting whatever your heart desires flow out through your fingertips?

     

    Choose your words thoughtfully. Think about what you are writing. Look at it critically. Don't just let your fingers fly and damned be the consequences.

    I think the Moderators do a good job. There is a lot of shit posted here on the forums. And I mean *shit*. People don't think before they post. The rules are laid out nicely here: Rules of Conduct There is also a nice Notice of Increased Moderation in the Pub area. Stickied even. Try reading these. May help ease the ban hammer for you. Personally, I have never read either of these two subjects. I guess I know how to conduct myself around other human beings without being told what not to do.

    As far as locking threads go, How many X-Fire threads do you want, OP? And how many of them fell to in-fighting and bickering? How much discussion of X-Fire and it's mechanics actually takes place? I really do not know as I now avoid those topics now. It's like trying to discuss the color of air. Both are pointless.

    What is the OP actually looking for here? Do you want a free-for-all, anything goes type of forum experience? Where do *you* draw the line for moderation?

    THIS^^^^^^ Is the very reason some of us "broke the rules" and posted examples.

    Yes, you may have has ZERO bans but read why some of US did get bans- If you can say that was fair moderation- More power to you I guess.

    Again, this is exactly why examples were needed. I bet I could go through your post history (not that I am going to) and find a ton of things you have said FAR worse than some of the posted examp[les- And as you said- No bans for you.

  • RavenmaneRavenmane Pensacola, FLPosts: 246Member

    Reading the rules tend to help.  I've been banned once since being here and at first I was like "WTF" and then I checked my messges and I got told I was banned for posting possible trolling comments.  Pretty much I posted something that looked like trolling and it was intended to start an arguement which is against their policy.  There is a difference between debating things straight up fighting about it.  And I will admit I did make a comment that could have started an online arguement which doesn't help teh community in any way.

    All too often I see someone post their opinion about a game and why they like it or a feature.  And it never fails to amaze me that within the first three responses someone feels the need to make a "OMG you're dumb for liking or not like that" response.  This is where you can tell the difference between a kid, or immature gamer from an adult or mature one.  I am all for hearing someone's opinion but I don't enjoy them getting blasted because they have different likes or dislikes.  Another example is on page 1 or 2 of this post when someone mentioned the moderators and a stick; if you look to the left at the poster you will see the word Banned.  Pretty self explanatory as to why that happened.

    These forums are supposed to be for the support of the MMO community but not every thread started or response posted seem to share that light.  Those of you who have questions as to why should probably take the advice that some have posted about reading the rules for this sight.  Or go back to previous posts you made and see if what you posted could be constured as trolling or abusively negative.  As far as posts about Xfire, I honestly couldn't say other than it may have reached a certain number or pages and they felt it was time to close.  In the end it is their website and we are just teh forum posters, we have to play by the rules here whether you agree or not.

    "If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
Sign In or Register to comment.