Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Gold Farming be Illegal- a real misdemeanor or felony?

I have read here many times in the past and currently in the present that gold farmers are equal in moral putrism as drug dealers, criminals, or even evil characters such as murderers or dictators.

Should the business of farming gold in online video games with the intent of selling for real life cash, be an actual law punishable by government?

Ignore the fact it will never happen, governments wouldn't enforce it, etc. The hypothetical is that if it were a law, it would be fully enforced and people would be thrown in jail as well as businesses shut down. The law would indicate that only the company who owns the game or approves of a business can legally sell gold. Any other person who tries to sell in-game gold for real life cash is punishable by the law.

This is not about slave labor.

This is not about how the businesses get gold.

This is not about prisoners farming WoW gold.

This is ONLY about the process of selling Gold for Currency. It is irrelevant how it is obtained. However, you may vote yes based on a desire to eliminate the above immoral practices. The topic is still making the selling of gold for real life currency illegal; it would not change the laws on business practices, hacking, or cheap labor.

Would you support this as law?

Comments

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Really?

Hey man, step outside, read a book, get some perspective.

Remember, don't believe everything you read. Seriously... remember that.

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    While only 5 people have voted so far... I'm still a little concerned that people actually think this is something that should be made illegal. Do you really want MORE government control in your lives? Especially over something so incredibly petty.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its illegal in the same way downloading music off artists is illegal. The issue comes at where the line is drawn as this can be taken to far and rights can be taken away if its handled poorly. I can't really see it being defined as a complete 'felony' though at the same time I do see issues taking it as a simple misdemeanor. Simply put, gold farmers are harming the games they take part on. In some ways you can consider it sabatage which is a real serious thing in business.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    you are making money off of someone else's product illegally.. don't see it any differn't than people who rip movies or games and sell pirated copies and that's a felony... 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    you are making money off of someone else's product illegally.. don't see it any differn't than people who rip movies or games and sell pirated copies and that's a felony... 

With that sort of rationale you would see it fit to charge the gold buyers with a felony too for facilitation of a Black Market, like busting the john and the prostitute as well?

Sounds like a well thought out idea...

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Its illegal in the same way downloading music off artists is illegal. The issue comes at where the line is drawn as this can be taken to far and rights can be taken away if its handled poorly. I can't really see it being defined as a complete 'felony' though at the same time I do see issues taking it as a simple misdemeanor. Simply put, gold farmers are harming the games they take part on. In some ways you can consider it sabatage which is a real serious thing in business.

Sabotage? the games make money off the gold farmer's unless its F2P, it's not the company that suffers but the players and even then it barely effects us but more so the in game economy.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by strangepower

Really?

Hey man, step outside, read a book, get some perspective.

Remember, don't believe everything you read. Seriously... remember that.

^ These are wise words, time for an intervention I think.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

With that sort of rationale you would see it fit to charge the gold buyers with a felony too for facilitation of a Black Market, like busting the john and the prostitute as well?

yes same as it's illegal to buy pirated copies of video games.. usually the punishment is worse for the supplier than the buyer as with most things

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

if someone has a company with gold/credit farming and sell the gold/credits for real money and pay taxes, is legal

can't say that for the people that download games and movies from torrents without a dime in taxes

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

hgahahahahahah!

yes... because the girl that got raped, the child that got molested, the bystander that got stabbed, the husband that got run over....should all wait in line while the courts deliberate on Joe Blow for farming make believe gold in an online game....

.....please just delete this thread.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Remember when people were saying "The reason why Anet is selling gold is to put the farmers out of business"?

I think selling in-game currency for real money should be illegal. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The thing is, it's not a question of 'if' gold selling is illegal. It is illegal. The issue comes down to how to prosecute it. When dealing w/ gold sellers (and especially ones that hack), you are nearly always dealing w/ an internation incident. Issues with Intellectual Property, especially digital IP, are typically handled very poorly internationally.

Different countries have different laws around these issues, and they also prioritize them much differently. Western companies tend to persue these issues much more aggressively, because a lot of our money in the west comes from our inovations. Eastern companies are typically not as aggressive about it.

Anet & Blizzard aren't even the only major companies to have to deal w/ issues like blatant EULA breaks. Companies like Google & Apple have also had their share of trouble in dealing w/ IP issues overseas as well. Gold selling has always been illegal, but it's up to the countries who are harboring these criminals to each handle them on their own. It's also a question of how much pressure MMO companies can put on these countries to prosecute & crack down on gold sellers. For some countries it's more effective, but for some of the major offenders (like China) it just doesn't work.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

yes same as it's illegal to buy pirated copies of video games.. usually the punishment is worse for the supplier than the buyer as with most things

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you.  The same people that think gold farming and selling gold is okay are probably the people that think ripping CDs or movies and selling them is okay.  Intellectual copyright laws mean nothing to these people, but they do to me and I agree with what you've said.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Will this mean that selling gold / items / lockboxes by game developers will also be forbidden?

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

hgahahahahahah!

yes... because the girl that got raped, the child that got molested, the bystander that got stabbed, the husband that got run over....should all wait in line while the courts deliberate on Joe Blow for farming make believe gold in an online game....

.....please just delete this thread.

heh obviously it wouldn't be enforced as such but classifying something as a felony does put a damper on what people are willing to do. 

Originally posted by fenistil

Will this mean that selling gold / items / lockboxes by game developers will also be forbidden?

It should be. 

edit - Well it was until a couple months ago...

Originally posted by fenistil

why would it be? it's their product they made it they can sell it how they want.. 

Originally posted by strangepower   Originally posted by Aerowyn you are making money off of someone else's product illegally.. don't see it any differn't than people who rip movies or games and sell pirated copies and that's a felony... 
      With that sort of rationale you would see it fit to charge the gold buyers with a felony too for facilitation of a Black Market, like busting the john and the prostitute as well? Sounds like a well thought out idea...

Off topic, but telling to say the least, whats your stance on Amendment 64?

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by fenistil Will this mean that selling gold / items / lockboxes by game developers will also be forbidden?  
    would be nice...but technically it's their product, they are protecte by license to do as they please.

Why would it be nice... because you say so?

You object but give no reason? Perhaps you have a better idea of how a developer should handle their product?

Did you develop anything lately? I mean, what is your experience on this other than personal subjective experience?

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by fenistil Will this mean that selling gold / items / lockboxes by game developers will also be forbidden?  
    would be nice...but technically it's their product, they are protecte by license to do as they please.

Why would it be nice... because you say so?

You object but give no reason? Perhaps you have a better idea of how a developer should handle their product?

Did you develop anything lately? I mean, what is your experience on this other than personal subjective experience?

People fighting for the right for mmo develpoers to sell gold. 

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

The point is you do not make it illegaly, EULA has no legal standing...

Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by strangepower   Originally posted by Aerowyn you are making money off of someone else's product illegally.. don't see it any differn't than people who rip movies or games and sell pirated copies and that's a felony... 
      With that sort of rationale you would see it fit to charge the gold buyers with a felony too for facilitation of a Black Market, like busting the john and the prostitute as well? Sounds like a well thought out idea...

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you.  The same people that think gold farming and selling gold is okay are probably the people that think ripping CDs or movies and selling them is okay.  Intellectual copyright laws mean nothing to these people, but they do to me and I agree with what you've said.

How do you draw the parallel between copyright infringement and gold selling?

Originally posted by Aerowyn you are making money off of someone else's product illegally.. don't see it any differn't than people who rip movies or games and sell pirated copies and that's a felony... 

Off topic, but telling to say the least, whats your stance on Amendment 64?

been for legalization of marijuana for years.. honestly think alcohol is much worse overall

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by aesperus

The thing is, it's not a question of 'if' gold selling is illegal. It is illegal. The issue comes down to how to prosecute it. When dealing w/ gold sellers (and especially ones that hack), you are nearly always dealing w/ an internation incident. Issues with Intellectual Property, especially digital IP, are typically handled very poorly internationally.

Different countries have different laws around these issues, and they also prioritize them much differently. Western companies tend to persue these issues much more aggressively, because a lot of our money in the west comes from our inovations. Eastern companies are typically not as aggressive about it.

Anet & Blizzard aren't even the only major companies to have to deal w/ issues like blatant EULA breaks. Companies like Google & Apple have also had their share of trouble in dealing w/ IP issues overseas as well. Gold selling has always been illegal, but it's up to the countries who are harboring these criminals to each handle them on their own. It's also a question of how much pressure MMO companies can put on these countries to prosecute & crack down on gold sellers. For some countries it's more effective, but for some of the major offenders (like China) it just doesn't work.

No it isn't illegal, and not it isn't the same as pirating software. 

There is a direct relationship between pirated software and the money a developer would have obtained from selling that software.  They own the software, they were the only ones allowed to sell it, anyone else doing so stealing the money they would have earned.  There is a law against pirating software.

None of this is happening is gold selling, unless the game company themselves sell goldl  If the devs don't sell gold, then whether the gold seller is in the game or not, the devs would have made the same amount of money, actually possibly less because the seller themselves had to buy a copy of the game.  There is no software being pirated, there is no loss of money to the developer. 

There is no law against gold selling.  There is a law against pirated software.

And no it shouldn't be illegal.  The only thing that should be illegal are illegal actions being done to obtain the gold (sweatshops, hacks...).  And that is allready illegal. 

edit - it is actually illegal in China I believe

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Aerowyn you are making money off of someone else's product illegally.. don't see it any differn't than people who rip movies or games and sell pirated copies and that's a felony... 

How do you draw the parallel between copyright infringement and gold selling?

The line is drawn when the selling of gold prevents or causes the developer of the software to lose money or prevents them obtaining the money.  That won't happen until the developer themselves start selling gold. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.