Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Way too strict moderation.

Comments

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

The best thing is when Billy gets butt hurt and clicks report because you " made him mad " about the game he loves and you get an insta warning for it. A robot must spit out the warnings because a sane human wouldnt shoot out warnings for ripping a guy about making love to his game and wanting everyone to love it too. 

My 2 cents

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by boxsnd

The mods seem to be closing threads left and right. Why don't you let the users decide what they want to discuss?

Um, just guessing here, but "they own it, we don't" springs to mind.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Betakodo
    I have to add that it seems like the Guild Wars 2 moderators are biased. You get a post edited/modded if the mod happened to be a "Fanboy", but any other game and the post would be OK. Or even if the opposite side of the argument is posting in the same (Non-flaming) manner.

Think this has more to do with the traffic.. look at the amount of traffic in the GW2 forums compared to all the other games.. when you have this many people you will get way more posts overall and  more people reporting posts and so on.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Just for the record, I've emailed MikeB on numerous occasions, and while he may have ignored one or two, more often than not he responds.  Even better, I'd say he's overturned moderation actions that I've disagreed with (Not only on myself) about 50% of the time.  Most other times his reasoning behind the bans/locked threads make sense to me.

So if he's telling you that you were banned for good reason, you probably were in my book.

I can totally agree to the highlighted part. If you do not agree on the mod/ban, you can always email MikeB and he will look into it.

I only wish people know the different between "discussion" and "name calling". It seem to blur out way too often for a lot of posters.

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

Having been warned recently (for good reason, I think), I certainly think about what I write more than I used to.  It certainly put a damper on how much I enjoy this site, but they gotta do what they gotta do.  

I don't feel that I can truly express my opinion any longer though.

It does in fact feel like the moderators here no longer want opinions to be freely expressed anymore. I've seen friends of mine banned in the past month for things that you'd think are impossible grounds for a ban. However, they go on nevertheless.

Also, emailing MikeB about a ban is impossible. He ignores emails, or will give you a canned response of "You were banned for good reason, deal with it". Even writing this giving my input might land me a temp-ban or a warning for speaking the truth. It's a very sad time when MMORPG used to be a good site to discuss the truth about MMO gaming in general.

However, nowadays if it isn't super positive & avoiding the direct subject at hand (ie: calling a game for what you believe it is) you're labeled a troll by the staff here and sent on your way. At times I feel like they don't want MMORPG to succeed as a site anymore. I wonder why :/

Just for the record, I've emailed MikeB on numerous occasions, and while he may have ignored one or two, more often than not he responds.  Even better, I'd say he's overturned moderation actions that I've disagreed with (Not only on myself) about 50% of the time.  Most other times his reasoning behind the bans/locked threads make sense to me.

So if he's telling you that you were banned for good reason, you probably were in my book.

Doubtful considering his past responses & responses to people on this forum. I also feel as though the staff troll players on purpose with some of their articles, but that is another story.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Here's the link as to why the xfire threads are locked:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5337394#5337394

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Doubtful considering his past responses & responses to people on this forum. I also feel as though the staff troll players on purpose with some of their articles, but that is another story.

Articles are opinions. Just because people do not agree with it doesnt mean they are "trolling".

I would like to see examples of what you consider wrongful ban or moderation and the responses to people on forum. Often I find people who are banned/modded way out of line in a "civil manner".

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I have to add that it seems like the Guild Wars 2 moderators are biased. You get a post edited/modded if the mod happened to be a "Fanboy", but any other game and the post would be OK. Or even if the opposite side of the argument is posting in the same (Non-flaming) manner.

Think this has more to do with the traffic.. look at the amount of traffic in the GW2 forums compared to all the other games.. when you have this many people you will get way more posts overall and  more people reporting posts and so on.

People on the GW2 forums were abusing the report function. Almost everythread that was not a positive thread for GW2 was reported, with very few exceptions.

Think this has more to do with the traffic.. look at the amount of traffic in the GW2 fotums compared to all the other games.. when you have this many people you will get way more posts overall and  more people reporting posts and so on.

There's only a couple of forums where the fanboy wars take place, currently.  (The specific boards change every time a new release happens).

If someone's motive is really avoiding moderation, those forums are avoidable.  But then they can't taunt or bait or troll, either.

What a quandry of conflicting goals!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

For what its worth- I feel the moderation is VERY inconsistant.

I have noticed that speaking against any FOTM game (especially high budget AAA types) they can be quite trigger happy towards "negativity".

-Also "Trolling" is such a vague term and so open to interpritation that it is essentially as meaningless as "freedom" and "liberty" and absent of definition it means far different things to different people (and mods)-

I feel that unless there is a blatant threat to someone or real harassment then it shoyuld be left alone- But I am a libertarian...Who loves "freedom" and "liberty" =P

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by moguy2

The best thing is when Billy gets butt hurt and clicks report because you " made him mad " about the game he loves and you get an insta warning for it. A robot must spit out the warnings because a sane human wouldnt shoot out warnings for ripping a guy about making love to his game and wanting everyone to love it too. 

My 2 cents

I have seen this happen all to often here. There are certain people who just cannot handle when "their game" is criticized and something snaps in their head. And instead of arguing the point with facts, the post gets reported, and the words "hater" and "troll" start flying. When the original post wasn't even a personal attack, but the response is. 

That's all well and good, I have spoken my opinions both for and aginst certain games and have been reported and been warned. In fact most of the warnings are over turned. if you present your case to the mods, they will look at it. One Warning, I petitioned and the warning stood. Looking back, I was wrong, Another warning, I knew I was wrong and didn't even bother to petition. But the rest, I did and they were over turned. So While the initial response may seem heavy handed, I think they will look at your emails with a reasonable approach.

That said: This is my beef with MMORPG.COM. In those cases where people use the report function to manipulate these boards, the [Mod Edit]s fly as do the warnings. And while a reasoable petition will reverse the warning, the post remains censored. And thus someone remains silenced. And that is wrong. No one in these boards should have the right to dictate who can post what by manipulating the rules and the mods themselves.

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by zakiyawow

Articles are opinions. Just because people do not agree with it doesnt mean they are "trolling".

I would like to see examples of what you consider wrongful ban or moderation and the responses to people on forum. Often I find people who are banned/modded way out of line in a "civil manner".

Then why do they give temp-bans for the very same idea? They temp-ban for "Opinions" that are very much in the same light as some of their articles.

Also, all posts whatsoever relating to someone being banned are swept under the rug with a canned response to talk to MikeB about said ban. So they're deleted or locked right off the bat. I even see many of them with [mod edits] on them. :/

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Exactly why I rarely post here anymore to be honest. I feel like I can't express my true opinion because it may step on toes. So I just don't bother to begin with.
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I have noticed that speaking against any FOTM game (especially high budget AAA types) they can be quite trigger happy towards "negativity".

-Also "Trolling" is such a vague term and so open to interpritation that it is essentially as meaningless as "freedom" and "liberty" and absent of definition it means far different things to different people (and mods)-

I feel that unless there is a blatant threat to someone or real harassment then it shoyuld be left alone- But I am a libertarian...Who loves "freedom" and "liberty" =P

i agree trolling is a very vague term as it could mean differn't things to differn't people but the forum mods did set a definition for what they consider trolling on these forums.. now it's really up to them what's considered excessive of course

Trolling

• Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.
      For example: If there is one game that you did not enjoy, voicing your opinion is encouraged. Posting this opinion in every thread concerning that game to the point that it disrupts all other conversation is not tolerated.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The best is when I get warned for trolling when I'm making a sarcastic point back, most often to a troll themselves. Always fun when that happens.  There are areas were moderators do need to step in redundant threads ARE a good reason to so long as they aren't deleting every single thread that looks like it shares even a tiny bit of relation to another. They do need to cut back but its not saying that things should go crazy either.

If I feel like ranting purely opinion bsed (which i do have the urge to break free of sense for that reason) its nice to know I wont' have my post edited for it. After all, its not like many of the articles and reviews on this site aren't already fool of bias, paticularly when funding for the site is in place *cough* SWTOR *Cough*

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

i agree trolling is a very vague term as it could mean differn't things to differn't people but the forum mods did set a definition for what they consider trolling on these forums.. now it's really up to them what's considered excessive of course

Trolling

• Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.
      For example: If there is one game that you did not enjoy, voicing your opinion is encouraged. Posting this opinion in every thread concerning that game to the point that it disrupts all other conversation is not tolerated.

Again , that "definition" is lacking and very open ended. Also very inconsistent across the board.

i.e. I faced a 3 day ban and mod edit for someone who said "cry much" (not concerning something I posted, but regarding someone else.) I said "Fanboy much?"- I was censored and got 3 days for "trolling"- His post is still sitting in the GW2 Forum with my [MOD EDIT} and he recieved no ban (since he continued posting)

This is just one of a plethora of examples...

EDIT/ADD- And look, I am not above "trolling" either. I sometimes enjoy a good troll- Thing is, the above wasnt "trolling" - nor should it IMHO be censored. Nor should the dude who said "cry  much"- We are not 6 years old... Sticks and Stones and all that...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Acidon
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

Having been warned recently (for good reason, I think), I certainly think about what I write more than I used to.  It certainly put a damper on how much I enjoy this site, but they gotta do what they gotta do.  

I don't feel that I can truly express my opinion any longer though.

It does in fact feel like the moderators here no longer want opinions to be freely expressed anymore. I've seen friends of mine banned in the past month for things that you'd think are impossible grounds for a ban. However, they go on nevertheless.

Also, emailing MikeB about a ban is impossible. He ignores emails, or will give you a canned response of "You were banned for good reason, deal with it". Even writing this giving my input might land me a temp-ban or a warning for speaking the truth. It's a very sad time when MMORPG used to be a good site to discuss the truth about MMO gaming in general.

However, nowadays if it isn't super positive & avoiding the direct subject at hand (ie: calling a game for what you believe it is) you're labeled a troll by the staff here and sent on your way. At times I feel like they don't want MMORPG to succeed as a site anymore. I wonder why :/

Over 6 years and 1300 posts, and I have been "moderated" once.  I disagreed with it, emailed MikeB and the warning was removed.  I doubt many people have a 100% overturn rate, but to say he ignores all of them is simply untrue.

I think there's a pretty good-sized portion of the weekend audience who aren't being very honest (with themselves) about what they come to this forum for.

Enjoyable Forum PvP? Yeah, you're gonna meet a mod from time to time.  If the reaction bothers you, you can always avoid the action.

"But mom it's not FAIR!  You didn't spank Billy for it!"--just how old are we?

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Over 6 years and 1300 posts, and I have been "moderated" once.  I disagreed with it, emailed MikeB and the warning was removed.  I doubt many people have a 100% overturn rate, but to say he ignores all of them is simply untrue.

Yeah, but that's because you are a Niceguy. What about allthe Psycho's out there...

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

I really wish that for every new game they would make 2 forums.  one would be the current General Forum, and the other would be a less moderated version.  Sure, restrict things like advertising and links to gold selling/ hacking sites but other than that stay out of the conflict.

Maybe you would have to actively request blanket access to those forums by certifying you were 18 or something...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I really wish that for every new game they would make 2 forums.  one would be the current General Forum, and the other would be a less moderated version.  Sure, restrict things like advertising and links to gold selling/ hacking sites but other than that stay out of the conflict.

Maybe you would have to actively request blanket access to those forums by certifying you were 18 or something...

..... Wow.

I like it.

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

remeber Rift had that since I used to frequent their official forums.. Basically all the trolling took place in the general section or the PVP section with very little moderation and most the the class specific forums were more dedicated to talk about builds and such

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Yeah, but that's because you are a Niceguy. What about allthe Psycho's out there...

Yeah, my wife has a different opinion :).

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

I agree with this statement... I have been here a long time as well and watched it change over time.  I have been banned probably more than anyone else here, some I deserved some were just silly bans that I did not deserve.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

I agree with this statement... I have been here a long time as well and watched it change over time.  I have been banned probably more than anyone else here, some I deserved some were just silly bans that I did not deserve.

Would be REAL nice to make the amount of times we "report" be viewable in our profile.

ADD- This is still BY FAR the best (and most fun) MMO site out there. And I truely mean that.