It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Hello there, I just recently got into the beta and I wanted to take a second to write out my review of this game after the first day. Review isn't really the right word... it's more of a "Here are the IMMEDIATE things that caught my eye.
- The game is utterly gorgeous. I had no framerate issues, though occasionally I would see someone skipping around a lot.
- I like the way vehicles work. I don't like how impossible it is for me, as a new player, to do anything about vehicles.
- The iron sights are definitely awesome. Kudos.
- I like the instant action button a lot; traveling takes forever, and being able to just warp to fights is a great feature.
- I actually LIKE the class system. It prevents one-man wrecking crews, which is lovely.
- Hit detection is pretty spot on.
- I like that MAX's are actually terrifying now; no more "Lolz I have 3 decimators AND a minigun" nonsense
- I have a very, very hard time identifying friendly units from enemy units. Especially the NCR; I can barely see them in a lot of situations.
- I literally can't make any sense of the map. I legitimately cannot see anything on the map, I can barely see my icon for it, and in general, I get lost a LOT when using the map (especially in buildings)
- I am not sure yet, but did I see that it requires HUNDREDS of cert points to get unlocks? Is that like a straight month of playing for a Tier 1 upgrade...? I don't know if I read it wrong, but it looked like I needed 500 for an armor upgrade...
- I don't know how to chat with anyone other than the /say and the /squad options.
- Sometimes, my vehicle just seems to flip upside down and explode. And this happened a lot >.>
- Buggy physics can be frustrating when trying to climb a mountain.
I'll update this thread with more thoughts as I continue to play today <img data-cke-saved-src="http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png" src="http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png" mcesmilie8"="" alt=":D" title="Big Grin ">
This won't be as bullet-pointed, but these are things I wanted to discuss more in-deph.
Firstly, I really can't stress enough how aggravating and stressful the map system is in this game. I legitimately *cannot* use the map to navigate inside of bases. I'm playing on max settings at 1920 by 1200, and even ALL the way zoomed in, I still can't make out what's what. I also hate that there isn't an auto-run button; why is that? As overly-large as the world is, is aan auto-run key out of the question? Also, the map needs to be scaled down a bit in scope, maybe by 35 percent. I understand that massive battles are the game's calling card... but that's exactly why players don't want to spend 3 minutes walking between fights, dying, respawning, and walking ANOTHER 3 minutes. This is actually my largest source of burnout in the game; the painstaking amount of walking around I do in this game without any actual action is mind-numbing. I'd also imagine this gets EXTREMELY tiring the more you play the game, as this is my second day and I'm already exhausted of all the walking.
Next, I want to touch on how painful it is to identify enemies and friendlies. On the one hand, you have the colored triangles above people's heads. However, the range on this is entirely too far; why am I seeing vehicles through full mountain passes, or enemies over 500 meters away? This needs to be adjusted by class, giving them variable radar ranges. Secondly, the triangles are entirely too small, and in large fights, they're actually distracting and can lead to friendly-fire incidents. Enemies needs to appear as an entirely different color at close range. For example, give TR players DISTINCTIVE red outlines, give NC players DISTINCTIVE blue outlines, and give VS players DISTINCTIVE purple outlines. Using red and blue triangles, when there are red and blue teams... this is just a simple logistical error. Radars also need to have their range reduced to roughly 40 meters for infantry, and 80 meters for vehicles. The point of snipers is that they have that long range... I don't need to see a guy with a heavy machine gun spotting me from 400 away, solely because of a Red triangle above my head. To compound this point ever further, it's damn near impossible to use the radar effectively in indoor situations/base assaults, and it needs a total rework for close quarters combat.
Following up on this, the terrain is downright infuriating quite frequently. I don't enjoy slowly and painfully scaling a hill, only to slide all the way down. I'm a firm believer that, if you don't want someone to go somewhere, then make it totally inaccessible. There's LOTS of paths leading up, yet I find myself hitching and getting stuck on these said paths far too frequently. There's also the matter of getting "stuck" frequently when doing jumps as infantry. I don't want to get started on the random insta-barrel-roll-suicide problem I have encountered while using the ATVs, which seem like gravity-defying, clunky pieces of garbage (no uphill capabilities whatsoever).. I find the terrain navigation mechanics for many of the land vehicles to be borderline game-breaking in their scope.
A huge, HUGE conceptual flaw is the "timers" for base battles. I don't know who drew this up, but they clearly don't understand that PROLONGED, INCHES-GAINED FIGHTS are what make this game fun. Penalizing people for not capturing a big base fast enough is ludicrous, and a blasphemy to the Planetside franchise. Some of the absolute best battle in Planetside 1 took place for HOURS... HOURS! This is because you might capture a tower, but never come close to capturing the base for hours at a time. As a result, you'd have those EPIC 300 v 300 fights raging on. With the current system you can't have these battles. Why? Because if a team doesn't meet the "time limit" for capturing a base, all the progress they made in the last hour is immediately removed by automatically returning said-captured-points to the defending team. I would go as far as to say that players don't WANT this timer, because it essentially handicaps the potential for a large-scale, ongoing battle.. This is a game-breaking, conceptual and developmental flaw.
Other points I want to make, but don't care to expan on a whole lot at this time:
- the game needs a /stuck command; it happens entirely too much to not exist
- MAXes need to be immunue to Snipers. Snipers already have a major advantage against infantry; they shouldn't even be denting a MAX's armor.
- The knife seems beyond buggy. I don't use it anymore because of how oddly unresponsive it feels.
- Cloakers should be able to knife while stealthed. No shooting is fine, but no knifing, really?
- Instant action should have a timer similar to the way the HART used to have; this way, when people IA in, there are meaningful reinforcements on the offensive/defensive side, not just 1-2 scragglers looking for some easy experience points,
I'll post more tomorrow, but this is where I stand presently.
Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...