Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Way too strict moderation.

boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

The mods seem to be closing threads left and right. Why don't you let the users decide what they want to discuss? Those who don't like a particular thread can simply ignore it. I understand that some mods want to show their employers that they are "needed" , but I think you guys are overdoing it.

People want to discuss xfire/raptr? so what? let 'em. The swtor xfire thread ran for 10 months. Did it harm the site in any way?

They want to discuss gaming related politics? where is the problem?

Someone dared to unleash personal attacks against another user? Do you really have to close the whole thread for this? Couldn't you just tempban that user?

Does a thread have to be temporary locked for you to "go through it"?

We aren't kids. Let us discuss stuff without interfering (unless it's REALLY needed).

edit: this was supposed to be created in the site suggestions forum.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Comments

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    There are some kids though no doubt

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    because it's their forums and there is a Rules of Conduct.. why is this in the GW2 forums?.. ever been on a large un moderated forum? its a mess

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by boxsnd

The mods seem to be closing threads left and right. Why don't you let the users decide what they want to discuss? Those who don't like a particular thread can simply ignore it. I understand that some mods want to show their employers that they are "needed" , but I think you guys are overdoing it.

People want to discuss xfire/raptr? so what? let 'em. The swtor xfire thread ran for 10 months. Did it harm the site in any way?

They want to discuss gaming related politics? where is the problem?

Someone dared to unleash personal attacks against another user? Do you really have to close the whole thread for this? Couldn't you just tempban that user?

Does a thread have to be temporary locked for you to "go through it"?

We aren't kids. Let us discuss stuff without interfering (unless it's REALLY needed).

there's alot of kids on the internet this days... 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

The mods on this site do a damn good job, in my opinion.  And yes, I've been banned multiple times.....when I deserved it, usually.  There is no reason to have MULTIPLE threads on XFire, that is why they close so many of them.  Similar with other things you brought up.  Consider the reasons WHY they close threads and ban people and then maybe you won't whine about this then.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    I've been here a long time now. Every year the mods get a slightly longer stick up their asses. Very saddening as this board in general used to be awesome.

Having been warned recently (for good reason, I think), I certainly think about what I write more than I used to.  It certainly put a damper on how much I enjoy this site, but they gotta do what they gotta do.  

I don't feel that I can truly express my opinion any longer though.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Nevermind closing threads, I think the 2-3 day bans constantly are the most frustrating.

Debates and arguments keep the forum dwellers interested and visiting the site, getting banned does not, I dissapear for weeks usually when I get banned because I forget about the site.

I've been banned like 4 times and I haven't even been here for a year.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by just1opinion

The mods on this site do a damn good job, in my opinion.  And yes, I've been banned multiple times.....when I deserved it, usually.  There is no reason to have MULTIPLE threads on XFire, that is why they close so many of them.  Similar with other things you brought up.  Consider the reasons WHY they close threads and ban people and then maybe you won't whine about this then.

Part of the problem is very rarely do they state why they lock a thread.  Sometimes you will see something along the lines of "this is being locked due to multiple threads, see X thread (with a link) to discuss it.  If they would do this for most, if not all, topics it would be nice.  Especially if something is locked for multiple topics, if they could point to the thread they would like us to use to discuss it, the better off we would be.  In my opinion of course.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Part of the problem is very rarely do they state why they lock a thread.  Sometimes you will see something along the lines of "this is being locked due to multiple threads, see X thread (with a link) to discuss it.  If they would do this for most, if not all, topics it would be nice.  Especially if something is locked for multiple topics, if they could point to the thread they would like us to use to discuss it, the better off we would be.  In my opinion of course.

Okay, I agree with this.  They don't always give a clear reason as to why they're locking a thread.  Sometimes you have to make assumptions based on what they DID say, which often is very little.  You're right.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Moved this to the intended forum. Remember that you can give feedback on individual cases or in general via the email in my sig. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I've been warned half a dozen times in the last 2 years. Over the last 8 years I have probably had a couple of  hundred posts deleted. I half expected most of those deletions and probably a few more warnings.

This site had stagnated for several years with about 1500 people on site at any time as a guest or signed in. In the last year that number has increased to about 2500 at any time of the day.

It looks to me tlike their tighter moderation is paying off.  They have more site traffic.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I wish it was stricter to be honest.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Grunty

I've been warned half a dozen times in the last 2 years. Over the last 8 years I have probably had a couple of  hundred posts deleted. I half expected most of those deletions and probably a few more warnings.This site had stagnated for several years with about 1500 people on site at any time as a guest or signed in. In the last year that number has increased to about 2500 at any time of the day.It looks to me tlike their tighter moderation is paying off.  They have more site traffic.  

I think it's more like you had 2 high profile MMO's having their launch, GW2 and SWTOR, of which 1 was highly controversial. Controversy and passionate conflict like that generates a LOT of traffic. Let's see how the site will do after a couple of months with no major AAA MMO on the horizon, and see what the difference in traffic will be.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I don't have a problem with strict moderation. I DO have a problem with inconsistent moderation though, which this site has in spades. It seems like what gets moderated and what doesn't depends entirely upon how a particular moderator feels that day. Also there's a LOT of favoritism & double standards going on around here, which further pisses me off.

Making everyone adhere strictly to the rules is fine. Making exceptions for people because they possess a certain status, are friends of site employees, or for any other reason is NOT.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I don't have a problem with strict moderation. I DO have a problem with inconsistent moderation though, which this site has in spades. It seems like what gets moderated and what doesn't depends entirely upon how a particular moderator feels that day. Also there's a LOT of favoritism & double standards going on around here, which further pisses me off.

Making everyone adhere strictly to the rules is fine. Making exceptions for people because they possess a certain status, are friends of site employees, or for any other reason is NOT.

I think this has to do with the volunteerist (pretty sure that isn't actually a word, but you get the meaning I hope) nature.  Since each games forum has a different moderator (and some likely have no volunteers so are handled by the employees) it means different things are going to get treated differently.  I do think that if you think you have gotten a raw deal by a mod you can appeal it to MikeB and the only time I ever received a warning he withdrew it when I emailed him.  It isn't perfect but it is what happens when you use valunteers rather than paid employees.  

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I get banned all the time for using words like World of Welfare or SWTOR sucks.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Nevermind closing threads, I think the 2-3 day bans constantly are the most frustrating.

Debates and arguments keep the forum dwellers interested and visiting the site, getting banned does not, I dissapear for weeks usually when I get banned because I forget about the site.

I've been banned like 4 times and I haven't even been here for a year.

You're doing something wrong then.

As someone who posts somewhat frequently image I rarely have been banned though they do toss an occasional warning my way. (which frequently are well deserved)

Self control is your friend.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Is there some rule against discussing xfire?  I've seen a bunch of recent xfire threads that were locked shortly after they were created.  They're not duplicates of some other thread unless it's duplicates of a locked thread, or duplicates of an old thread that has long since scrolled off.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The problem is the mods take the easy approach of deleting threads, when instead they should be short term banning people that derail threads and deleting the derailing post and responses to it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Is there some rule against discussing xfire?  I've seen a bunch of recent xfire threads that were locked shortly after they were created.  They're not duplicates of some other thread unless it's duplicates of a locked thread, or duplicates of an old thread that has long since scrolled off.

They claim they delete them because they always derail into the accuracy/usefulness of XFire.  Lame excuse in my opinion as they can deal with those derails on a poster by poster basis.

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Acidon

Having been warned recently (for good reason, I think), I certainly think about what I write more than I used to.  It certainly put a damper on how much I enjoy this site, but they gotta do what they gotta do.  

It does in fact feel like the moderators here no longer want opinions to be freely expressed anymore. I've seen friends of mine banned in the past month for things that you'd think are impossible grounds for a ban. However, they go on nevertheless.

Also, emailing MikeB about a ban is impossible. He ignores emails, or will give you a canned response of "You were banned for good reason, deal with it". Even writing this giving my input might land me a temp-ban or a warning for speaking the truth. It's a very sad time when MMORPG used to be a good site to discuss the truth about MMO gaming in general.

However, nowadays if it isn't super positive & avoiding the direct subject at hand (ie: calling a game for what you believe it is) you're labeled a troll by the staff here and sent on your way. At times I feel like they don't want MMORPG to succeed as a site anymore. I wonder why :/

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Apparenlty MikeB posted that he'd like the xfire threads to stop or be consolidated into one thread. It was post #162 or something in a thread long since burried...but apparenlty it is now the rule and the mods are enforcing it accordingly. Even tho nobody knows it's a rule....it seemed more like a suggestion when I read it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I've been banned a few times but I deserved it lol  The moderating team does a good job, IMO.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    I have to add that it seems like the Guild Wars 2 moderators are biased. You get a post edited/modded if the mod happened to be a "Fanboy", but any other game and the post would be OK. Or even if the opposite side of the argument is posting in the same (Non-flaming) manner.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian
    Originally posted by Acidon

It does in fact feel like the moderators here no longer want opinions to be freely expressed anymore. I've seen friends of mine banned in the past month for things that you'd think are impossible grounds for a ban. However, they go on nevertheless.

Also, emailing MikeB about a ban is impossible. He ignores emails, or will give you a canned response of "You were banned for good reason, deal with it". Even writing this giving my input might land me a temp-ban or a warning for speaking the truth. It's a very sad time when MMORPG used to be a good site to discuss the truth about MMO gaming in general.

However, nowadays if it isn't super positive & avoiding the direct subject at hand (ie: calling a game for what you believe it is) you're labeled a troll by the staff here and sent on your way. At times I feel like they don't want MMORPG to succeed as a site anymore. I wonder why :/

Just for the record, I've emailed MikeB on numerous occasions, and while he may have ignored one or two, more often than not he responds.  Even better, I'd say he's overturned moderation actions that I've disagreed with (Not only on myself) about 50% of the time.  Most other times his reasoning behind the bans/locked threads make sense to me.

So if he's telling you that you were banned for good reason, you probably were in my book.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon