Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why is there so much hate for Elder scrolls online?

13»

Comments

  • zanebergeronzanebergeron winona, TXPosts: 80Member Uncommon

    It really doesn't matter to me because not everyone likes X product.  I myself have not enjoyed an Elderscrolls game since Daggerfall, yes that was way back in the day.  I can not say I will like or dislike an MMO of the same name, who knows  it may be done very well or it may suck like so many other MMOs.  But why are these companies jumping aboard the MMO Train now, I think it's like movies today.  Let's remake X movie because we can't come up with an original concept.

    I really am tired of seeing the term WoW Clone, it is being tossed around too much.  I myself am not a hater here, if I don't like a game I just move on to the next. At one point I enjoyed myself in WoW although it's core has changed with all the new xpansions over the years.  So I don't know why people have to come here to bash other people who enjoy  certain type of game. I have friends who enjoy FPS games and while I do not it's not my business.

    Anyways back to to Elder Scrolls: A. It will do very well.  B. It will crash and burn.  or C. it will be ok keeping a portion of people happy.

    there are the 3 outcomes to this game.

    CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by rush1984
    Why is there so much hate for this game?I mean even on this forum which is idealy mmorpg fans?I cant be the only one who thought while playing the single player games "wouldnt this be great if you could play with a friend?" So why do people hate the idea so? especially those who play mmorpgs?I think people just hating on it because other people are and going with the crowd so to speak.. well i think for myself and im really looking forward to seeing what they coem up with.what people forget is that they are making a different type of game its like when they made a RTS version of halo  you didnt hear people crying saying i hope they keep this its goign to be X because it doesntg have Y.Its going to be a mmorpg so its going to have all the features that make a mmorpg ..And ofcourse they will keep alot of the things we loved about teh single player RPG's  if i was to guess there will be alot of exploration, random dynamic events, killable NPCs Factions to join , epic boss battles and awesome character customisation etcAt the end of the day if you dont want to play it and you prefer single player version im sure they are not goign to stop making them and you dont have to play the MMORPG versioni for one cant wait to explore some dungeons with a group of friends in the beautiful world of Tamriel !! 

    There's no reason it cant be an elderscrolls game, + Massively multilayer persistent

    Anyone that says otherwise is close minded.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • HarttzHarttz Jacksonville, FLPosts: 91Member
    Originally posted by zanebergeron

    Anyways back to to Elder Scrolls: A. It will do very well.  B. It will crash and burn.  or C. it will be ok keeping a portion of people happy.

    there are the 3 outcomes to this game.

    I actually think it will do all 3! It will probably get a massive number of preorders and first month sales due to the brand name (outcome A). It will then lose 50%+ of those players in the first 3 months (outcome B). And it will probably stabilize somewhat after that and have a dedicated core of fans (outcome C). Basically, the fate that has befallen every unoriginal MMO of the last 10 years.

  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Dallas, TXPosts: 953Member Uncommon

    So many uninformed posters in this thread, making ridiculous connections between sociology and genre trends. News flash: people don't like this game, particularly Elder Scrolls fans, because it's nothing like the single player series. I've seen people in the posts within and others that seem to believe that we want the direct, exact experience ported over from the SRPG to an MMO format, which isn't the case. Naturally, we understand that balancing the game would be important, and the gameplay couldn't be one hundred percent, no questions asked, precisely identical. However, the game that's being created only shares the lore and the compass system in common, without anything else that can really be identifiably Elder Scrolls.

     

    Sorry, we wanted Skyrim the MMO, balanced for multiplayer. We didn't want the next themepark rendition, or destroyer of IP's. Thanks.

    "This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

  • IndolIndol O''Fallon, MOPosts: 189Member
    Originally posted by rush1984

    Its going to be a mmorpg so its going to have all the features that make a mmorpg ..

    There are about a quadrillion ways to approach making an mmorpg, most of which don't involve "all the features that make an mmorpg .."

     

    If they use their own approach, the game has a chance to set itself apart from the plethora of mmo's that've tried to emulate the mainstream concept of an mmo and have ultimately been met with mostly lukewarm or negative reactions.

     

    I hope for the best with Elder Scrolls Online. I really hope Zenimax Studios Online realize that adopting features that a zillion other games already provide is not necessarily the way to make a hit game that gives players something they can't get from other games and therefore a reason to flock to their title.

  • rush1984rush1984 essexPosts: 178Member Uncommon

    i bet half the people moaning dont even like the single player games that much anyway, i played them all but they are not the best ones ive played..not by far

    when they make this mmorpg version i bet i will like it alot more

    im more into mmorpg's then single player rpgs anyway , even after all these years ff7 is still top of my list for best single player game :D but i guess if they made that into a mmorpg i would be worried just like you guys

  • kishekishe aitooPosts: 1,978Member Uncommon

    The reason why I hate ESO is the fact they removed EVERYTHING that made TES greatest line of single player RPGs ever and replaced them with redudant wow-cliches.

     

    static faction/race relations, no free-roaming, no housing, no open character development, no real time combat (recent MMOs have shown it CAN be done)

     

     

  • jamigrejamigre New York, NYPosts: 283Member
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It's a very simply answer that I'm sure you already know.. Fans of the Elderscrolls have wanted a MMO that plays like the single player games for years but instead they are getting a WoW clone. 

     

     

    THIS. 

     

    But it's not going to be anything like a real Elder Scrolls game, in fact I have more hope for the Skyrim multiplayer mod than this wow clone. 

    -------
    Check out http://partyupgamer.com - and meet people you actually want to play with.
    -------

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Winter:

    Rvr endgame
    Open dungeons
    Selection of a sub set of skills from a pool, of which some are tied to your current weapon
    Soul gem / enchanting system from tes
    Dodging, sprinting and active blocking in combat tied to a tes style stamina bar
    No agro mechanics
    No quest hubs
    Political system where you can get crowned emperor
    Auto targeting

    Yeah all the above sound very wow clone to me 8?
  • RyowulfRyowulf Greensburg, PAPosts: 668Member

    See that house? Want to steal something inside it? Go ahead.

    See that guy? Want to pickpocket him? Want to kill him? Go ahead.

    See that mountain? Want to go to? Want to climb it? Go ahead.

    Everything that people enjoy about Elder Scrolls won't be Elder Scrolls Online.  Understand?

  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolPosts: 976Member Uncommon

    I think the general concensus is that they won't do it justice and we'll get yet another mediocre MMO that's just a big let down for the fans of the single player games.

    For me Daggerfall was epic. I got months of play out of that game. I don't see how an MMO can even come close, given the differences between single and multiplayer environments.

    All of the TES games adjusted to your level as you roamed around, something that's impossible to achieve as soon as you introduce another player. Who's level does the content adjust to? So there goes the ability to wander the landscape as you will. Now your locked into zones with level ranges, completely unavoidable, unless you get rid of levels completely.

    What about the ability to mix magic with physical combat?

    ESO's gonna be a themepark and for me, the only way to capture the feel of TES would be to make something more along the lines of UO. I just can't see them doing it justice at all.

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    I think the general concensus is that they won't do it justice and we'll get yet another mediocre MMO that's just a big let down for the fans of the single player games.For me Daggerfall was epic. I got months of play out of that game. I don't see how an MMO can even come close, given the differences between single and multiplayer environments.All of the TES games adjusted to your level as you roamed around, something that's impossible to achieve as soon as you introduce another player. Who's level does the content adjust to? So there goes the ability to wander the landscape as you will. Now your locked into zones with level ranges, completely unavoidable, unless you get rid of levels completely.What about the ability to mix magic with physical combat?ESO's gonna be a themepark and for me, the only way to capture the feel of TES would be to make something more along the lines of UO. I just can't see them doing it justice at all.

    Why does it need to operate on lvls at all? and not aquired skills?

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Kishe:

    You are correct on static faction / races
    And you are correct on no housing

    You are incorrect on no free roaming, its not a wow style hub thing, the devs have stated many times you can just wander off and find dungeons (of the EQ / daoc open variety) or various events happening (which sounds very gw2 DEs)

    The combat sounds like a cross between gw2 with a little tes single player, e.g. not full action combat like darkfall or planetside, but not stand there spamming a rotation combat in the vein of wow either.

    I can understand people being upset its not enough like tes single player. I think it would be better if instead of 3 race locked factions you instead pick one of 3 imperial houses to join once you go cyrodil at endgame (those would fit with the simmilar 3 houses of dark elves in Morrowind)

    I also think the game would be better with no classes, while I don't think an increasing skills through usage system like tes or darkfall would work due to exploiting (afk swimmers in darkfall / craft skill uberness in skyrim). A skill based system like eve or tsw would fit the game better than hard classes. I have a feeling the classes may be very loose and flexible though, like they just have warrior / theif / mage with list of flexibility

    But its ridiculous to label the game a wow clone or even worse a swtor two. Just about everything the devs say points to a modern day daoc with elements from gw2 (semi action combat, no tanks, skills tied to weapons, flattened power curve) and elements from tes single player (crafting, soul harvesting, lore, active blocking, sprinting, stamina resource)
  • rush1984rush1984 essexPosts: 178Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

    See that house? Want to steal something inside it? Go ahead.

    See that guy? Want to pickpocket him? Want to kill him? Go ahead.

    See that mountain? Want to go to? Want to climb it? Go ahead.

    Everything that people enjoy about Elder Scrolls won't be Elder Scrolls Online.  Understand?

    please tell me where it states that this stuff wont be in the online game?

  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolPosts: 976Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth

     


    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    I think the general concensus is that they won't do it justice and we'll get yet another mediocre MMO that's just a big let down for the fans of the single player games.

     

    For me Daggerfall was epic. I got months of play out of that game. I don't see how an MMO can even come close, given the differences between single and multiplayer environments.

    All of the TES games adjusted to your level as you roamed around, something that's impossible to achieve as soon as you introduce another player. Who's level does the content adjust to? So there goes the ability to wander the landscape as you will. Now your locked into zones with level ranges, completely unavoidable, unless you get rid of levels completely.

    What about the ability to mix magic with physical combat?

    ESO's gonna be a themepark and for me, the only way to capture the feel of TES would be to make something more along the lines of UO. I just can't see them doing it justice at all.


     

    Why does it need to operate on lvls at all? and not aquired skills?

    Exactly, that's why I said it needs to be done more like UO. Unless you take into account that all the TES games were level based so maybe that's what the fans want. Either way, with character progression and growing power, your opponents need to become more powerfull too, which still leads to areas of easy-medium-hard mobs to fight. Once again you find your ability to roam curtailed, depending on your level, or how many skills you've acquired, or how well that skill is developed.

    See the problem?

  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,516Member Uncommon

    what it boils down to me is the DEV TEAM

    one of their first releases said oh no housing, cause its too hard to do.

    I'm done with this game, and I dont even care about housing, I just dont want a company saying something is too hard to do for a reason against ANYTHING. 

    "uh sorry, combat was too hard to do, thats why you get crappy animations and terrible response times"

     

  • rush1984rush1984 essexPosts: 178Member Uncommon

    i bet 99% of the  haters will buy  this game regardless of what they say in threads , i remember people saying the same thing about final fantasy xi and look how well that game did.

     

  • Butcher_IncButcher_Inc ChichesterPosts: 17Member
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

    what it boils down to me is the DEV TEAM

    one of their first releases said oh no housing, cause its too hard to do.

    I'm done with this game, and I dont even care about housing, I just dont want a company saying something is too hard to do for a reason against ANYTHING. 

    "uh sorry, combat was too hard to do, thats why you get crappy animations and terrible response times"

     

    Yeah, see you in-game.

  • Ambros123Ambros123 Neverneverland, TNPosts: 877Member
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

    See that house? Want to steal something inside it? Go ahead.

    See that guy? Want to pickpocket him? Want to kill him? Go ahead.

    See that mountain? Want to go to? Want to climb it? Go ahead.

    Everything that people enjoy about Elder Scrolls won't be Elder Scrolls Online.  Understand?

    image

    This ES:O seems more like a themepark MMO based off a popular IP to net some easy cash like SWTOR.  Most MMOs I can get excited over like Wildstar or Neverwinter and even SWTOR when it was in development but ES:O I just cant get overly excited over and am more cautious than anything with this MMO.

  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 New York, NYPosts: 884Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rush1984
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It's a very simply answer that I'm sure you already know.. Fans of the Elderscrolls have wanted a MMO that plays like the single player games for years but instead they are getting a WoW clone. 

    a mmo isnt meant to be played like a single player game...

    And this is a mmorpg,  i dont understand why anyone would want a mmorpg and pay a sub to just play a single player game

    You're contradicting yourself while answering your own question. As you said in the beginning who hasn't playing an elder scrolls game and wished it were an mmo, then you say they can't be the same. People want elder scrolls with other people. They don't a wow-clone with elder scolls lore names on it.

    Even if the game is good, if it doesn't fullfill that desire you had when you played an elder scrolls game, wishing it were an mmo, it fails.

  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,516Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Butcher_Inc
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

    what it boils down to me is the DEV TEAM

    one of their first releases said oh no housing, cause its too hard to do.

    I'm done with this game, and I dont even care about housing, I just dont want a company saying something is too hard to do for a reason against ANYTHING. 

    "uh sorry, combat was too hard to do, thats why you get crappy animations and terrible response times"

     

    Yeah, see you in-game.

    doubtful, after the follwing

    Origins of Malu

    Repopulation

    Archeage

    Black Desert

    Project Gorgon

    FFXIV

    Neverwinter

    Wizardry

    I may play a trial

  • LoLifeLoLife LA, CAPosts: 174Member
    Originally posted by rush1984

    Why is there so much hate for this game?

    I mean even on this forum which is idealy mmorpg fans?

    I cant be the only one who thought while playing the single player games "wouldnt this be great if you could play with a friend?" So why do people hate the idea so? especially those who play mmorpgs?

    I think people just hating on it because other people are and going with the crowd so to speak.. well i think for myself and im really looking forward to seeing what they coem up with.

    what people forget is that they are making a different type of game its like when they made a RTS version of halo  you didnt hear people crying saying i hope they keep this its goign to be X because it doesntg have Y.

    Its going to be a mmorpg so its going to have all the features that make a mmorpg ..

    And ofcourse they will keep alot of the things we loved about teh single player RPG's  if i was to guess there will be alot of exploration, random dynamic events, killable NPCs Factions to join , epic boss battles and awesome character customisation etc

    At the end of the day if you dont want to play it and you prefer single player version im sure they are not goign to stop making them and you dont have to play the MMORPG version

    i for one cant wait to explore some dungeons with a group of friends in the beautiful world of Tamriel !!

     

    Its not really getting the flak because of FPS Vs 3rd person, because even though FPS could be done, it was expected and excepted it to be third, its getting hate because its not the sandboxie experience which is associated TES and what is expected from the TES series, many choose Elder Scrolls and Bethesda RPGs over Biowares tight story scrips RGP's because of it and that choice is no longer there.

    What ZOS has done is turn this installment of Elder Scrolls into another in a long line of Theme-Parked experience's probably designed to poach players from WoW & cash grab Theme-Parker, theres pleny of rope in the MMO market for a studio to hang its brand and its itself just look at SWTOR, Rift is in decline if the word is right, things are shaky over on TSW and GW2 is the exception for now due to its business model.

    Has for myself and others have just seen another excellent IP and a great opportunity to make an excellent sandbox or hybrid MMO or something even special go to waste and its a pity because I love Elder Scrolls, I'm glad your looking  positively forward towards it wish I could, but I'll be sticking with GW2, TL2 & LoL and got my sight set on Dota 2 and Planetside 2.

  • firefly2003firefly2003 Los Angeles, CAPosts: 2,555Member
    Originally posted by rush1984
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It's a very simply answer that I'm sure you already know.. Fans of the Elderscrolls have wanted a MMO that plays like the single player games for years but instead they are getting a WoW clone. 

    a mmo isnt meant to be played like a single player game...

    And this is a mmorpg,  i dont understand why anyone would want a mmorpg and pay a sub to just play a single player game

    SWTOR plays like a single player game doesn't it?, same goes for WoW with the exception of instance runs, plenty of people that play MMOs that just want to solo or be left alone I don't get it either but it happens...

    image

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Dusty:

    I find it amusing you are anti teso but yet are playing gw2.

    Seen as what we know of TESO makes it sound a heck of a lot like gw2....

    Limited selection of skills based on weapons used
    No agro mechanics
    No quest hubs
    RVR endgame
    Semi action combat

    On top of that you've got tes style crafting / soul harvesting, open world dungeons and a political system.

    Everything they say about TESO points to a DAOC clone not a SWTOR style wow with more corridors and linearality
  • EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Dusty:

    I find it amusing you are anti teso but yet are playing gw2.

    Seen as what we know of TESO makes it sound a heck of a lot like gw2....

    Limited selection of skills based on weapons used
    No agro mechanics
    No quest hubs
    RVR endgame
    Semi action combat

    On top of that you've got tes style crafting / soul harvesting, open world dungeons and a political system.

    Everything they say about TESO points to a DAOC clone not a SWTOR style wow with more corridors and linearality

    I have been played GW2 to see what TESO is gonna be like.  I dread it.

    Difference is, GW2's only precedent is GW which was a much less sophisticated game, so as far as GW2 is concerned, it is a huge leap forward.

    TESO on the other hand is a huge leap backwards for the TES series. 

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.