Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can TOR's 3D space bring you back?

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    still boggles the mind nothing like an updated x-wing vs tie fighter wasn't planned for the release of swtor way back when.. people loved that game and it would of brought in a ton of people... gah...

Yep.  JTL, I thought was very similar to Xwing/Tie-fighter.  That would be an awesome addition if they expanded on that.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Absolutely YES.

But I expect nothing less than a whole universe to explore, not some cheesy "space warzone" with a loading screen at the start and the end, with Moonbreakers gameplay in between.

I demand: JTL Type loot system, Mining, PvE missions like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and Battlefront II, atmospheric flight, PvP battles over objectives, Free roam exploration, dynamic events, trading and ship customization, multiplayer ships and a loading screen free experience where I can walk up to my ship, take off, be in space, fly back and land manually without loading screens.

If it´s gonna be a half assed attempt on a space shooter, I´ll pass

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Once I leave an mmo, nothing can get me back. Those same problems I had with the game will still be there.

With SWTOR the game world itself seemed so lifeless, nothing is gonna fix that anytime soon.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    No space wasn't remotely the reason why I cancelled after 3 months. I enjoyed the space mini-game although it got repetitive after a while. If they simply added more missions and upgrades, it would be fine for me. A big 3D space expansion is of no interest to me.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    If they brought in a Jump to lightspeed space I would be back in a flash.  I will come back anyway when they launch F2P but a good space game is what any star wars game needs,
    Originally posted by BrotherD
    It would help but this is juts another example of why TOR was a failure. This should have been there at launch and not a year later. The rail shooter space combat they have now is just really bad. They took the worst Star Wars game of all time (Rebel Assult) and copied it.

Well---- look at SWG, a lot of their features were not their at start and that include jump to lightspeed, in fact they had no space game at all

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Well if you like tin foil hat spelunking (but positive for a change.)

Reakktor, developer of Black Prophecy, released statements desperately seeking work to prevent shutting its doors on Wednesday February 29th, 2012. (A good time for bargains yes?)

Bioware announced a super secret space project on Monday March 5th, 2012 in Austin.

Black Prophecy's distributor, Gamigo, sold it's 20% stake in Reakktor to Kirk Lenke. Kirk Lenke is the CEO of Reakktor.

On March 29th, 2012, the insolvent Reakktor announced it was in lockdown mode, but was not dead with official announcements to come in the future.

Reakktor's website has switched to an immage that simply says, "KK Reinkkarnation" with a progress bar that is periodically updated, from 10% to its current 50%.

Black Prophecy is a full 3D open space combat MMO featuring Quest missions, customizable ships, 2 faction PVP, and a built in Cash Shop (it was built on a Freemium model.)

Black Prophecy was closed on September 26th, 2012, Gamigo now has nothing to do with the game.

Juicy hype rumor on my part? Sure!

And to think I've been called a hater. Make me CEO of EA, I won't charge you a dollar a bullet. (Maybe a nickel, Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

On the glass half empty tip, if the SSSP isn't this (or something along these lines) I don't think it exsists.

Programing is hard yo. (Reakktor has 50 employees working on BP for a few years.)

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Unless ToR creates a universe like Eve i wont touch it ever again, worste money spend in my whole life.

WHen i think about Starwars i think about space....a massive universe with dozens and dozens of planets to claim, to battle over, to bombard from space and from ground.

instead they builded death scripted planets with no universe lol.
    massive budget spend on the most anoying feature ever in mmo's (voice overs)

if only they would have spend that money on the stuff i listed we would have had one of the most epic mmo's of all times.

faction warfare
    massive exploring in space
    massive space battles like Eve online
    massive ground battles with starwars siege weapons and tanks and stuff like that

would it not be epic to fight with those massive Destroyer ships in space with hundres of Tie fighters to defend it versus the jedi's counter parts ?

damn that defines Starwars for me :)

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    atm i m playing wow as main and a bit of gw2 in my spare time. i may try again rift or something else, but i ll never touch SWTOR again. its rip for me, for good
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

Nope,

JTLS didn't interest me with SWG so neither will anything they did to TOR's space game.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Swtor is good for what it is. Problem is people always wanted it to be something its not.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

No.

Problems I have with Swtor are about fundamental game design and concept - not because space combat is bad or because other particular element is not good enough.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

After the nge happened all we had left JTL, it was like a totaly seperate game from space combat.  However in swtor it is just a sidge game.

They need to fix other problems with this game, I am not subbing just to fly a space simulator.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by syntax42

I haven't been following TOR's news.  Did they announce space combat without rails?

I did not quit TOR because of the space-on-rails.  I disliked it for breaking the immersion by not having lightsaber attacks inflict fatal or dismembering blows.  Before you say that would be overpowered, I have thought about this.  All they needed were shield generators for non-force people and real parry animations (every swing, not just as a defensive move) for force users.  Instead of a health bar, your shield or force focus wears down.  When it reaches zero, you take a fatal blow and fall over.

The whole game just felt like a reskinned version of WoW.  They didn't even make an effort to make the game different, beyond graphics, setting, and a few minor game features.

yeah, they have been throwing out little tidbits and teasing it for sometime. I should post all the links, but they are few and only one liners. Googling TOR secret space project will lead to most of the little quotes here and there, but its highly secretive as of late. Of course they said we would be hearing about it soon, but I think they have a ton on their plate so I don't know when "soon" will come.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Nitth

Swtor is good for what it is. Problem is people always wanted it to be something its not.

Your right, I wanted an mmo, a genre usually associated with lots to do.

And I'm willing to wait for it. Or I'll move on if it goes under. While I really want starwars around, or sci fi mmo period, they are coming. Hell, Chris Roberts is making an mmo now(the guy who made wing commander) so who knows, maybe a land/space combo mmo is coming. I'd just rather it had been in the starwars universe(since its so diverse and big)

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

dont think thats is anythingthat can make me come back

the game has so many mistakes

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

At this point, the only thing that would bring me back would be something to the effect of the following quote:

"Star Wars the Old Republic, the game that you know, was an (not so?) elaborate hoax -- it was developed for reasons of secrecy. The actual Star Wars the Old Republic will be released in the first quarter of 2013"

Honestly your quote just made my day!

• Wouldn't bring me back. I left the game because the planets were missing that "MMO" feel. Adding space wouldn't fix that.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I think the smartest thing they could do would be to hire people to just implement massive space combat in the game as an alternative to the WOW clone content.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    For now TOR shines only as leveling game and after i leveled few classes to max i got bored. Space combat as you describe would be one good step forward, crafting like in swg and more exploring without restriction. They should make new start with new planets and change bad things from the start
       The Story, the Production, Voice overs, were all Fantastic in SWTOR.  I was shocked at the pathetic space game. How can you possibly have that type of space game in Star Wars of all games.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I'd come back to try it. Probably not for anything less.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Tayah

Once I leave an mmo, nothing can get me back. Those same problems I had with the game will still be there.

With SWTOR the game world itself seemed so lifeless, nothing is gonna fix that anytime soon.

You return from time to time, but the luster is gone.  What initially attracted you to the game remains, but every other problem persists.

I play games for awhile, but once I unsub even for a brief time, if I come back, it isn't for longer than two months max.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    It will be probably the 1st expansion, they called it ¨space combat secret proyect¨ and rumour says it will be like Rogue squadron or that old game called freelancer. 
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think if they fixed the space game and make if fantastic, than it wouldn't matter as much if the land-game is sub-par.

I believe that a lot of sci-fi/space fans has been hanging for a game that has some land elements but with fantastic space aspects. An Elite 3/X3 with a decent walkaround game would be the holy-grail of any sci-fi mmos, I think.