Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there so much hate for Elder scrolls online?

Comments

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    take a totally awesome game that could make it as a mmo in its current state. remove everything everyone wants. for lack of any better term. Fucking stupid.
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by mechtech256

I've been a Bethesda fan for a decade.

About 7 years ago I remember an interview where Bethesda was asked if they would ever take the game to the MMO space. The response was something close to "when hell freezes over... we believe our series is strictly designed to showcase everything that a single player RPG should strive to be".

Either hell has frozen over, or the company that I was a fan of is no longer existant.

(I understand TES:Online is a phoned in hero engine cash in for the valuable TES brand, and is being built by a 3rd party dev, but it utterly cheapens the series in my eyes)

Bethesda wouldnt make a MMO out of it no matter the owner company (zenimax) told them, thus Zenimax took the IP and gave it for another daughter company to slaughter.

Elder Scrolls games already are "Single player mmo's" so to speak, so Elder Scrolls fans have certain mindset on how perfect Elder Scrolls MMO should be, the more info the company making ESO gives out  the more apparent it becomes that they're only in for grabbing a quick buck on "World of Elderscrolls" 

• Butcher_IncButcher_Inc Member Posts: 17

TES combat and mechanics just wouldn't work in an MMO. At least they are leaving in stamina and trying to make combat more tactical and reactive.

Am I the only one who thinks TES combat is extremely boring? I prefer even traditional MMO combat.

All I love about the TES series is the world, story and lore. All of which will be in the MMO.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by rush1984

And ofcourse they will keep alot of the things we loved about teh single player RPG's  if i was to guess there will be alot of exploration, random dynamic events, killable NPCs Factions to join , epic boss battles and awesome character customisation etc

At the end of the day if you dont want to play it and you prefer single player version im sure they are not goign to stop making them and you dont have to play the MMORPG version

That's the most important question. What are they going to change?

• They will definitely have to change a lot to offer each player a certain gaming experience. Quests for one will probably be made like people know it from existing MMORPGs.
    • PvP will as well be adressed. We all know how people like to play different character archetypes and still want to be competitive. Which will effect the game mechanics.
    • How much focus will the gear threadmill get? How is crafting going to be? There is always a conflict between finding gear as drops from opponents (e.g. while raiding, while doing dungeons), from quest/pvp rewards and crafting.
    • How much sandboxy will it remain?

The point is that if they do TESO the next single player version will probably come much much later.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by Butcher_Inc

TES combat and mechanics just wouldn't work in an MMO. At least they are leaving in stamina and trying to make combat more tactical and reactive.

Am I the only one who thinks TES combat is extremely boring? I prefer even traditional MMO combat.

All I love about the TES series is the world, story and lore. All of which will be in the MMO.

Melee is pretty bad, ranged is as it should be.

Tab-/auto-targeting (in MMOs) was a necessity in the past due to hardware restrictions, today no such restrictions exist, Darkfall and Planetside are a proof of that. They can take the autotargeting route if they prefer it, but it's utter bullshit to claim that FPS style combat can't be done.

You like TES world? Hope you like making alts too, you'll be needing at least two alts to see the whole world.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

TERA, DFO, MO (As buggy as it is considering it was done by a crap team it still shows what can be done). The FPS style combat can and has been done by others. You can try all you want to say it wouldn't work but that has been proven false by several other companies lol.

• Butcher_IncButcher_Inc Member Posts: 17

TERA, DFO, MO (As buggy as it is considering it was done by a crap team it still shows what can be done). The FPS style combat can and has been done by others. You can try all you want to say it wouldn't work but that has been proven false by several other companies lol.

I agree tab targetting is out dated and needs to go, TERA combat is great. Shame it's Korean.

I've never seen first person executed well in an MMO however. 

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I agree tab targetting is out dated and needs to go, TERA combat is great. Shame it's Korean.

I've never seen first person executed well in an MMO however. 

except shooters ofcourse ^

In Elder scrolls pvp  first person view would suck , i do feel tab targeting is out fo date though and would prefer soemthing along teh lines of tera's combat which i think is awesome

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

In Elder scrolls pvp  first person view would suck , i do feel tab targeting is out fo date though and would prefer soemthing along teh lines of tera's combat which i think is awesome

I don't think we know enough about the possiblities to draw this conclusion. 

The fp pvp in Darkfall was great, in my opinion (there were some other issues, but I think the view was not one to me).  Let's see how they do it in DFUW.  Also, it was one of the things I liked about Mortal Online. So a first person view is technically posssible, though it may be difficult to pull off well. 

Elder Scrolls in it's true form (first person view)  would be fine for pvp. It would just be really hard to re-create the Elder Scrolls depth in an mmorpg. 

In response to the original post, I think there is a lot of hate because people are suspicious of this being a money grab, or being something too much like SWTOR, which was using a beloved IP just to sell boxes.  That's probably one of the main reasons. I think SWTOR has a lot to do with how many people feel about TESO now.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    From what I understand the combat is very simmilar to gw2, but with the tes stamina bar for sprinting / blocking

E.g. semi tab Target.
    Why will tes 6come later. They are being made by 2 separate studios. TESO is being made by zenimax baltimore, which is mostly ex daoc & uo devs who got put when ea got in.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by timeraider
    meh.. if they want to make an mmo.. fine with me, but still i think they did rather put the time and money in their singleplayer games instead of an MMO.

Bethesda have minimal involvement in the MMO. So don't worry, you'll still get TES: 6 and Fallout: London

Bethesda is the one involved in the making of the MMO. ZeniMax online is Bethesda. Always has been always will be. If you have an old boxed copy of Oblivion look at the box "Bethesda Softworks a ZeniMax Media company". Bethesda will not let another developing company make an Elder Scrolls game. They just created a new extension for the developing of the MMO. Believe me it will play like an Elder Scrolls game. It will have the right lore. It will have the correct races and classes. It will just be adjusted to function and play in an MMO environment and for this lover of Elder Scrolls I am ok with that.

I believe one of the developers said they have been planning the MMO for like 3 years now, so it will be a good game. It will not create an Oblivion gate and suck the life out of the Elder Scrolls universe.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Its the same haters from game to game. They are bored people nothing else. I have no hate for TESO... Can't wait in fact, the tools that allows us to build and write stories and such is phenominal.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Elder Scrolls have always had the following:

1. Bunch of bugs.

2. MAJOR logic flaws in skill combinations; most recently, in Skyrim, you can end up OHKOing everything by exploiting Blacksmithing, Enchanting and Alchemy.

3. Horrible combat. Check out Skyrim Nexus for combat mods, they always end up making the game better.

4. LOTS OF MODS.

Every one of these things contribute to what makes an "Elder Scrolls" game. None of these things will last in an MMO.

See why it won't work? -_-

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

TES = Free roaming, open, sandboxy single rpg

TESO = Themepark sotry-driven mmorpg with instances1

Hmm no idea why it get flak. *rolleyes*

Originally posted by Lienhart

1. Bunch of bugs.

2. MAJOR logic flaws in skill combinations; most recently, in Skyrim, you can end up OHKOing everything by exploiting Blacksmithing, Enchanting and Alchemy.

3. Horrible combat. Check out Skyrim Nexus for combat mods, they always end up making the game better.

4. LOTS OF MODS.

Every one of these things contribute to what makes an "Elder Scrolls" game. None of these things will last in an MMO.

Not to sound rude or anything but those are the most obsurd 4 points ever.  I didn't even laugh. :|

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It's a very simply answer that I'm sure you already know.. Fans of the Elderscrolls have wanted a MMO that plays like the single player games for years but instead they are getting a WoW clone. 

a mmo isnt meant to be played like a single player game...

And this is a mmorpg,  i dont understand why anyone would want a mmorpg and pay a sub to just play a single player game

Everything that makes The Elderscrolls series great has been successfully intergrated into MMOs before. This is what fans of the series want from an Elder Scrolls MMO. Nothing else will do. People want an Elder Scrolls MMO that looks and feels like The Elder Scrolls. What we are getting is a WoW/DAOC hybrid with an Elder Scrolls paint job. It has absolutely nothing remotely resembling any previous Elder Scrolls game except Lore and Setting. Without the core Elder Scrolls gameplay mechanics... all of which have been successfully done in MMOs before... the game just wont be Elder Scrolls. This is why many people including myself are upset they decided that in order to be successful they needed to turn their backs on everything that makes The Elder Scrolls great and create yet another copy and paste Themepark MMO.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Lienhart

1. Bunch of bugs.

4. LOTS OF MODS.

Not to sound rude or anything but those are the most obsurd 4 points ever.  I didn't even laugh. :|

Have you played any Elder Scrolls? These are the defining features of all of them, no matter how many patches there are.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

They are perverting the TES lore to fit the game mechanics into their prescribed format.   It's been in development for awhile, no telling if they made basic game decisions that might have been reasonable in 2009, but are outdated now.  They are dumping a number of elements that fans of the TES series really liked.  The suspicion that it is more of a generic MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin.  Many folks would have been happy with small scale co-op.

Maybe it will be great.  Not on my radar though.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

I have none of those issues and I own every elder scrolls game.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    I have none of those issues and I own every elder scrolls game.

The reason to make the game 'Elder Scrolls' is to use the backstory elements, and bring in the fanbase.  If you are peeving a chunk of said  fanbase, you aren't leveraging your 'asset' well.

We'll see...

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

Elder Scrolls games have always been about freedom. This MMO is not about freedom and that is the problem.

-In TES games, you are allowed the freedom to mold your class from a variety of skills. You can be a heavy armor destruction mage or light armor magic wielding warrior or a sneaky medium armor illusionaist or any other combination you can think of. In TESO, you are forced into a specific class role from the beginning with very little customization and individuality.

-In TES games, you are allowed the freedom to choose from a wide variety of races and then choose whether to join a particular faction (Imperials vs Stormcloaks) or choose how your characters story and interactions play out. In TESO, races are arbitrarily forced into particular factions and then set on a linear on-rails themepark storyline which allows very little freedom for RP or individuality.

-In TES games, you are allowed the freedom to roam the entire world and build relationships and mold the world to your liking while a short main quest plays on around you. In Skyrim, for example, the main questline took about 20 hours to complete but there were 100s of hours of additional side quests to explore and discover. In TESO, you are forced into a linear storyline and limited to one particular region and not alloowed to roam the entire map with the freedom to explore the whole world.

This lack of freedom is the fundamental flaw of the TESO game design for many players. I'm sure the game will do fairly well. It will probably do a SWTOR and get a ton of preorders and then the population will dive after a month due to the disappointing, generic nature of the game.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I think I'll give it a shot!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

Calling TESO a story driven mmo, makes about as much sense as calling gw2 a story driven mmo.

What the devs say about the game it has way more in common with daoc & gw2 than it does swtor.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Why is there so much hate for this game?

I mean even on this forum which is idealy mmorpg fans?

I cant be the only one who thought while playing the single player games "wouldnt this be great if you could play with a friend?" So why do people hate the idea so? especially those who play mmorpgs?

I think people just hating on it because other people are and going with the crowd so to speak.. well i think for myself and im really looking forward to seeing what they coem up with.

what people forget is that they are making a different type of game its like when they made a RTS version of halo  you didnt hear people crying saying i hope they keep this its goign to be X because it doesntg have Y.

Its going to be a mmorpg so its going to have all the features that make a mmorpg ..

And ofcourse they will keep alot of the things we loved about teh single player RPG's  if i was to guess there will be alot of exploration, random dynamic events, killable NPCs Factions to join , epic boss battles and awesome character customisation etc

At the end of the day if you dont want to play it and you prefer single player version im sure they are not goign to stop making them and you dont have to play the MMORPG version

i for one cant wait to explore some dungeons with a group of friends in the beautiful world of Tamriel !!

Op you really should read up on the game  before making statements like yours above.

The ESO is not a "Different type of game" sure it would be fun to adventure with a friend in Skyrim however ESO is not Skyrim, or even any of the Elderscroll games. The core Elderscroll game play mechanics have been torn out and replaced with comon everryday wow game play. In effect all the ESO is  is WoW  with elderscrolls lore and images, and no thats not what most wanted, its not what the majority are asking for (gosh i wish i could play wow in tamriel!) it is just a quick money grab. If i want to play WoW I'll play WoW, if i want to play elderscrolls I'll play skyrim. I have no desire to play a souless WoW/Elderscrolls hybrid thats had all the good things that made the elderscrolls great removed to make it more MMO friendly (WoW)