Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Loot? 24hr lockouts? Permadeath? Oh.

Been trying to find something to while away a few hours on and this caught my eye, but it sounds a bit heavy.

Two gamemodes; hardcore and normal, both playing on the same server. HC players can get the whole 'phat lewt' thing going on with rare pickups but, if they die then the character dies and they have to start over. Normal players don't get the great loot but if they die they only get a fixed lockout before respawning (where they died, apparently, which is worrying) after a fixed time period. Currently this is 24 hours. You died, come back tomorrow?

And either way, you'll loose pretty much everything worth having because it's full loot?

I'm getting too old for this...

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

Comments

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Well i don't like full loot games... but.. thre is a market for such games and is good they do exist, there is people that do like playing like that, so i am very happy that the full loot and even permadeath crowd is finally getting some games with it.

I don't like it as i said but just mean i might not play the game, but there must be games for all tastes and sizes in my opinion.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208
    Maybe you can have more than one character per server. I hope so.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Ok i can get over full loot thing but 24 hour lock out for dying? well no thank you. And i was really looking forward to this game.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Really? Cool, in that case it has certainly got my interest.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Ok i can get over full loot thing but 24 hour lock out for dying? well no thank you. And i was really looking forward to this game.

Well it is to encourage people to go for the hardcore version.

This have been a good conversation

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir

you can have upto 5 chars per server

edit: spelling

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Although I love the ideals behind this game (including the "lock out" and FFA) I cannot bear to see another "pay us to Alpha test our game" bullshit move.

-Back in the day folks were PAID to Alpha/Beta test... Then it became free labor...Now everyne wants you to pay, to TEST their game. And this results in very bad beta testers who generally are there to "play the game"-not to "test". And why should they "test" when they are paying???

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I can handle the looting others like we had in UO, but being locked out for 24 hours? No thanks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• coldcut333coldcut333 Member Posts: 86
    24 hour lockout is a way they will be making money,CS has item you can buy to instant respawn.Think i'm going to wait for the other zombie game to release.
    Originally posted by Tayah
    I can handle the looting others like we had in UO, but being locked out for 24 hours? No thanks.

Yeah but its like a "semi" permadeath. You have 5 toons so that gives you 5 deaths within that a.lloted time /per day.

I like the system as it will make players far more careful and less likely to act foolishly- Might make for a better community that works together.

Originally posted by coldcut333
    24 hour lockout is a way they will be making money,CS has item you can buy to instant respawn.Think i'm going to wait for the other zombie game to release.

-Ouch, really....

Okay this one isnt worth the download then... Really?????  =/

-Pathetic.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Yup you get 5 character slots according to the interview. But have to say this is just a copy of Dayz so nothing original here tbh.

Asbo

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by coldcut333

Yah, I'll pass on it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

This is why 'old school' gamers can't have nice things.

Just can't agree on which parts of the 'good ol' games'  were good.   When someone tries something like the old days, they get complaints instead of money. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Although I love the ideals behind this game (including the "lock out" and FFA) I cannot bear to see another "pay us to Alpha test our game" bullshit move.

-Back in the day folks were PAID to Alpha/Beta test... Then it became free labor...Now everyne wants you to pay, to TEST their game. And this results in very bad beta testers who generally are there to "play the game"-not to "test". And why should they "test" when they are paying???

I know exactly what you mean. However, at least they give you like 50% off of the "regular" price. I hate the fact that games have the pay to beta at all but at least this one gives some sort of benefit other than being able to play their game early. 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Just can't agree on which parts of the 'good ol' games'  were good.   When someone tries something like the old days, they get complaints instead of money. 

I don't remember any of the "good ol' games" having permadeath or a 24 hour lockout if you died.  So neither one of these were taken from the "good ol' games."  I am interested to know their thinking behind the 24 hour lockout.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by NightBandit

Yup you get 5 character slots according to the interview. But have to say this is just a copy of Dayz so nothing original here tbh.

This was in development BEFORE DayZ, and besides having zombies in it, really doesn't play much like it. So yeah... you're pretty much completely wrong.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    Originally posted by NightBandit

This was in development BEFORE DayZ, and besides having zombies in it, really doesn't play much like it. So yeah... you're pretty much completely wrong.

That's been called into question, though....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Full loot PvP is something some people want, and have wanted for a while, but the option of either permadeath or being locked out of the game for 24h if you die sound a little bit too heavy handed, specially when it's an online game and you can easily die for things that can't be avoided and are out of your control (a connection problem, for example) or just because someone decides to play an arsehole (I can tell the goon squad is going to have lots of fun if it launches with this system, for example).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Yeah but its like a "semi" permadeath. You have 5 toons so that gives you 5 deaths within that a.lloted time /per day.

I like the system as it will make players far more careful and less likely to act foolishly- Might make for a better community that works together.

How many times i have read this now? yeah every time a MMO wants to implement perma death. Let me know when it actually works. So far it is just a theory.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by ElGuappo

Been trying to find something to while away a few hours on and this caught my eye, but it sounds a bit heavy.

Two gamemodes; hardcore and normal, both playing on the same server. HC players can get the whole 'phat lewt' thing going on with rare pickups but, if they die then the character dies and they have to start over. Normal players don't get the great loot but if they die they only get a fixed lockout before respawning (where they died, apparently, which is worrying) after a fixed time period. Currently this is 24 hours. You died, come back tomorrow?

And either way, you'll loose pretty much everything worth having because it's full loot?

I'm getting too old for this...

No, you have like six character slots. It's fair, you have six lives. Why not?

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

I don't remember any of the "good ol' games" having permadeath or a 24 hour lockout if you died.  So neither one of these were taken from the "good ol' games."  I am interested to know their thinking behind the 24 hour lockout.

Lack of meaningful death penalties has been a complaint about modern MMOs for many years.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

If you've already gotten the chance to play DayZ, you will understand why there is a character lockout.

Despite the bugs and the fact that it was a mod, the biggest issue was player killing.  So, the theory behind locking players out is to make death something that isn't wanted by most players.  Keep in mind, you will be afforded five character slots, so if you get killed, you will have four more character to choose from, provided that they aren't HC.  In that case, you have to create a new player, but at least you aren't locked out.

Even a lockout will not remove the want to kill people for no reason, but it should help, in theory.  Being alive should be the most important thing.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by halflife25

How many times i have read this now? yeah every time a MMO wants to implement perma death. Let me know when it actually works. So far it is just a theory.

Let's first get this straight.  THis game is NOT a MMO.  It is nothing more than CoD/BF in a much larger play area that persists. It has some progression and items to equip your character with as advancement, sure.  However, A real MMO has thousands of players on a given server.  Or at least the ability to.

It worked in DayZ.  It will work with WarZ.

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

Well im in, 5  characters in a 24 hour period, if you loose all 5 of those you probably should not be playing it in the first place.

You also can host your own server with a pass. You can also grow food in your stronghold area. (I don't think Day Z has this)

It's different and im going to try it. I'm in for the legend for 50 bucks and will host my own server for 6 months.

If you don't like the perma death then go for hardcore and instantly respawn. Not that big of a deal.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.