Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Guild Wars 2: Raising the Bar

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Yes this game is innovating dosen't matter how you see it, GW2 dosen't really follow the mainstream games, they took bits here and there mixed them up and expanded on the ideas and yes I call that innovation and not  revolutionary features.

Just one question for all you "there is no innovation at all"? you all tend to just write what the game has, never  have I read your ideas that has never EVER been seen in a game since dawn of gaming, can you guys please write me a innovating list that will work in a MMORPG and consider many gamers love to greaf and destroy, so I say please again write me a list of innovating ideas, how it will be implented and how it can work in a MMORG without imploding.

I have also read that several people find this game very antisocial, why is that?

Do you chat more when you are grouped in other games or are you like most gamers, speedtrhue the quest and write a short text in group chat..."thanks all, I'm off" after the quest is done?

Are you that guy who actively write in chat asking for groups to kill this or that?

Or are you that guy who waiting for other people to write in chat asking for groups to kill this or that?

Now you see most people have a hard time to interact with people they never have met, so they tend not to write in chat just waiting for that special guy who have some balls to pop the question.

On to longevity, this is highly a personal taste, if you are the one who plays 6-7 hours a day so you can bumrush to max level so you can be part of the leet 80 crew and you are not that fond of WvWvW or crafting then yes this game won't hold much longevity for you.

If you are like me, taking my time leveling up several toons at the same time, love crafting,exploring and WvWvW then yes this game will have longvity for you.

Ohh I forgot what's all about this Zerg talk that keeps popping up as a "valid" argument that WvWvW sucks?

What do you want, 1v1, small 5 man rambo style open world PvP?

WvWvW is a server battle and in battles, here it comes "gasp" there are armies (gamer term: zerg) of cource there is a big blob running around trying to capture points, and if it's a pug blob well they don't have a pissing chance against a guild blob so what's so bad about this?

How is that any different from USA and it's allied invaded IRAQ, now that's a MASSIVE zerg.

And lastly I have also seen some freak arguments that "hey GW2 is just like any other game out there with killing mobs, collecting stuff and mats".....well DUH..what did you expect.

Maby you who have this argument really are looking for is no crafting, mobless and emty world and your start your toon at max level with all the bells and wizzles, or have I missed your point all together, if so,, please explain how this could be done any better.

Still no one wanna answer my questions, good in a way I guess, it means the whiners arguments are as ashallow ans the trolls.

Sad I was hoping for some fun ideas from you guys who seems to know so much how a MMORPG should be and how it could be possible to make a game that no one have ever done before.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Still no one wanna answer my questions, good in a way I guess, it means the whiners arguments are as ashallow ans the trolls.

Sad I was hoping for some fun ideas from you guys who seems to know so much how a MMORPG should be and how it could be possible to make a game that no one have ever done before.

Sandbox sandbox sandbox... pretty much the answer you will get or at least sandbox hybrid.. I'm all for sandbox games and looking forward to several coming but I still can appreciate and enjoy a very well made themepark:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Sandbox sandbox sandbox... pretty much the answer you will get or at least sandbox hybrid.. I'm all for sandbox games and looking forward to several coming but I still can appreciate and enjoy a very well made themepark:)

Same here. Like many, I'm still hoping for some "worthy" successor to Ultima Online. Not crap like Darkfaill or Mortal, a really good AAA sandbox game. But in the meantime, I do not "spit in the soup" and enjoy well made theme parks too.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    You arguement against gw2 are ancient game- that gw2 actually borrowed ideas from in a rather against the grain manner. You sir are arguing for the sake of arguing.

oh, I love a good argument...that's why I come on these forums....people actually put up a good fight and I believe most understand it's not personal.  But, I only argue about that which I am passionate about. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Agrees, for me all going well archage will be my fantasy sandbox, eve for obvious reasons, gw2 for my fantasy pve, and possibly rift when i want a more traditional trinity competing on Meters xp. Future options look good, and all the better because each of those games focus on their strengths.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

And I would agree Randayn :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Randayn

GW2 is linear...sure you can go back levels, but you can't progress without leveling.  

Every single MMORPG is linear then. Even pure sandbox games like Minecraft are linear. You can't progress without improving your character in a way or another. UO is linear (raise those skills). EvE is linear (raise... those skills). There's no other way to progress than to raise those skills or levels.

What's your point, exactly?

thanks for the generalization...and thanks for grabbing one comment of mine and turning into what you may.

My full comment was that you progress through 1 zone at a time, crafted to fit level requirements, doing DE's that fit level requirements as they go along in order to reach endgame...

Generalizing my comments won't change the truth man...

Your truth is definitely not the truth. Even at low levels, you are never limited to one zone. And the more you progress, the more the whole world becomes your playground thanks to downscaling. This is the truth, the real one anyone who really played through the game knows.

What you say is just misinformation. It's not new here, others have posted the same crap. It doesn't make it more true because it's you posting it this time.

GW2 is pretty linear in the way that zones are set up for specific levels. You progress to certain level and are capable of doing certain zones and the tasks within. Sure you can go back to areas that you have outleveled, but that really has nothing to do with whether the leveling experience is linear or not. As far as having several zones for specific levels, there are many MMO's that already do this. You might say that it has non-linear regression, but then again so does pretty much every other MMO with the only difference being that you are downleveled in GW2. Even then, unless you are just a few levels above the content, it is extremely easy so I'm not quite sure the downleveling is all that great of a feature. I am not saying GW2 is a horrible game, but don't try to make it out to be more than it is.

Well that was not my question was it?

My questions was never about sandbox this or that why I asked well read it again, and no It was not directed to you or anyone else who enjoy GW2 my questions were directed to those who make dumb arguments and dont back it up with thier own ideas.

That's the thing Gw2 is the same as every other mmorg except there is no trail of quests, and you can down level. It takes the typical model and improves it a bit, that's not a bad thing.

My questions was never about sandbox this or that why I asked well read it again, and no It was not directed to you or anyone else who enjoy GW2 my questions were directed to those who make dumb arguments and dont back it up with thier own ideas.

you asked "how a MMORPG should be" I bet what most will say is it should be a sandbox type game.. but you are right many just come up with ridiculous arguments then when you confront them you get nothing back.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    That's the thing Gw2 is the same as every other mmorg except there is no trail of quests, and you can down level. It takes the typical model and improves it a bit, that's not a bad thing.

funny to me it feels less the same than any of the themeparks that released since 2004... maybe that's just me but that's why I enjoy the game so much it doesn't just feel like the same MMO

I'm a huge fan of gw2 and think it is as good as wow vanilla and that is a huge compliment. Gw2 us a smart evolution of themepark mmorgs but not a revolution :)

• ExpiredLifeExpiredLife Member Posts: 20
    This game is NOT for those PvE grindfest lovers. ANet stuck to what they did best in GW1, and made it better. The PvP.
    Gw1had 2 key elements, great pve grinding and great pvp :). There was a reason hom had a lot of pve associated with it.

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69

I have to say after readin this review. I will honestly never believe anything MMOrpg staff writes again fully. Innovation? Longevity this game is  being forcefed , to the masses and people believe this hype even after playing? LMFAO. Sheep , I'm not saying it doesnt have good points or some fun for sure. This game is not a 9.3. Anyone who thinks so is exactly what's wrong with mmo's today.What a joke. I would play warhammer's  scenarios over the spvp any day . Pointless and boring after you have gotten rank 20, or so. Limited skill customization and honestly most of the dynamic events are very lack luster . A great game overall especially being free to play.  7.5 rating

(10 innovation LMAO) what the hell did they Innoivate? WoW had better battlegrounds so did Warhammer. Eq2,WoW, DAOC had world pvp and the rvr in Daoc was way better. Id even say Shadowbane to a point. Free to play did they make that better? Hell no turbine gives you free points to spend for achieves and just playing. Sills---- Don't even make me laugh. Dynamic Events? LOL LOL  I'm sorry they are cool  but Warhammers pq's were 10 times better in scope and presentation much more epic. Though yes there is more in gw 2 I would even prefer Rifts over Gw2. I dont hate the game I hate this tragic write up. It's disgusting on every level. I am wrong I  finally bite on the mmorpg staff getting paid.. ridiculous.

Farstryder,

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

GW2 is pretty linear in the way that zones are set up for specific levels. You progress to certain level and are capable of doing certain zones and the tasks within. Sure you can go back to areas that you have outleveled, but that really has nothing to do with whether the leveling experience is linear or not. As far as having several zones for specific levels, there are many MMO's that already do this. You might say that it has non-linear regression, but then again so does pretty much every other MMO with the only difference being that you are downleveled in GW2. Even then, unless you are just a few levels above the content, it is extremely easy so I'm not quite sure the downleveling is all that great of a feature. I am not saying GW2 is a horrible game, but don't try to make it out to be more than it is.

I think the more a game allows the player to go in different viable directions, the less linear it is.  GW2 may not be completely non-linear, but I think it is less linear than most themeparks, because of the downleveling.  Having a few different zones for each level range helps, too.

Depends on what you're comparing it to.  "lots of MMOs have this" but then again, lots don't.  That's why some feel more linear than others, even when they're all themeparks.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

you asked "how a MMORPG should be" I bet what most will say is it should be a sandbox type game.. but you are right many just come up with ridiculous arguments then when you confront them you get nothing back.

That's what people get paid a lot of money to come up with. And all they can do is shovel S**t lately. I really don't care what it SHOULD" be, just make me want to come back every day!

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Really hate those top two pics. If thats what toons look like, I don't want to play it.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Moirae
    Really hate those top two pics. If thats what toons look like, I don't want to play it.

I don't care for them either, but I'd suggest doing some research on.. oh, the other 4 races first.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by rush1984

well im glad the reviewer enjoys it so much but i dont feel  like it deserves such a high rating.

i dont believe the reviewer got lvl 80 because he would know how little stuff there is to do, unless you call map completion and grinding buggy dungeons fun.

theres probaly thousands of posts of people on forums complaining about how boring the game is .

i however just quit entirely i got 4 weeks of fun out of the game so i guess it could have been worst

im a long time mmo player over 10 years now and gw2 was the quickest i become bored of any mmo, i even played aion and aoc even swtor for longer .

gw2 just doesnt have any longevity unless you are super casual and play only an hour a night, which im told is their target audience anyway.

i give it 7/10 which is still a good rating if only because they atleast tried to think outside the box

this and the fact you get to maximum too fast and then the huuuuuuuge grind of gear. cant complete all maps either caus ealways some skill point dude is inside the rock and cant target or is not there at all. well these things are easily repaired and will in time but for me it ended like i tought it was , honeymoon perioid is over and im done with it for now atleast. good thing is i can always return.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by m0lly

cant complete all maps either caus ealways some skill point dude is inside the rock and cant target or is not there at all.

I have 100% map exploration. Can post a screenshot if needed.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

That's what people get paid a lot of money to come up with. And all they can do is shovel S**t lately. I really don't care what it SHOULD" be, just make me want to come back every day!

Game developers are humans just you and me, what you are looking for are super humans who comes up with all sorts of idea, get real will you, if you can't come up with a single innovating idea, then why on earth do you think the next human being can.

Face it all game ideas and inovation has allready been made what we have left is the holodeck but I bet there will always someone who whine about duh Im killing mobs in the holodeck this sucks I did this  25 years ago in WoW this is not inovation it's the same thing.

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

Best MMO experience I've had since DAoC. And if we were to compare those two games side by side DAoC would look really bad about now.

People complaining about there not being open world RvR like DAoC are fogetting that in DAoC most of the RvR always happened in the same areas. So the Current WvWvW map set works pretty well while keeping the PVE players safe from getting ganked. Certainly there is alot to do in very different vistas in WvWvW, though with a fast moving zerg you don't get to stop and enjoy it sometimes. That comes down to player mentality. I guess I like to sit and defend a keep more than zerging.

As a game designer I have to agree with most of the reviewer's scores, and most of their conclusions.

I will clarify the whole social aspect because I understand both sides of this argument. On one hand it is true that very little chat outside of guild chat or WvWvW chat happens except in Lion's Arch. That is because people are busy actually doing things in every map instead of wondering what they could be doing. On the other hand the concept of being in one giant social group for live events means you get the social interaction of grouping without all the LFG spam we have gotten used to. I say good riddance to the spam and hello to events.

I will say also in agreement that the animations are the best I've ever seen. Just the cloth physics and dynamic foot placement is mindblowing sometimes, as you character twirls around or climbs a slope.

The only knock the game gets so far is its camera. It freaks the heck out in tight areas, and that needs to get fixed ASAP before I can give it a perfect score.

Originally posted by m0lly

this and the fact you get to maximum too fast and then the huuuuuuuge grind of gear. cant complete all maps either caus ealways some skill point dude is inside the rock and cant target or is not there at all. well these things are easily repaired and will in time but for me it ended like i tought it was , honeymoon perioid is over and im done with it for now atleast. good thing is i can always return.

you talking about Lornar's Pass? had same situation the other day people thought skill point was bugged because it looked like it was inside a rock but it was actually in a cave further down south you had to enter and walk up.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Sounds like the best game I'll never play.

It sounds excellent to me too.  When does it release?  All I have to play now is GW2, DDO and AoC, but I am really looking forward to this game releasing.