Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misconceptions towards DF UW

May be a long post but these are some of my thoughts on the hot topic that goes these days.

By reading these forums the last days i can't help but notice that some people throw it out that DF(UW) is a game only oriented towards PvP. You worry that since there is so much focus towards the pvp aspects from the threads, videos and discussions you have seen you are left alone with the impressions that the game won't leave you an option besides PvP. Let me tell: this is a mis-intepretation and it takes some insight to prove it wrong, and explain why people get this impression

PvP has trough DF history become a heavy weightstone that has at one point started growing larger and larger making it heavier to lift, and that makes the weightstone of PvE, exploration, crafting and other elements a feather on the scale compared to it. And this is why:

DF(UW) is what you make it. It's natural to approach the game from a PvP perspective when talking about Darkfall 1 because the game does in fact have great PvP aspects. The PvP in DF is what has been preserved by the minority of the people that have kept playing DF trough recent times and therefore that culture has been an outstanding and overrepresented aspect of DF and attracted other like-minded players into the game which shares the same ideas, thus making it hard to leave that path of PvP culture and leaving it 'an evil circle'. Once people started leaving DF after launch due to various reasons (which are mostly adressed in DFUW), the people remaining kept onto what was already there and what they belived could be the only thing worth saving (the unique pvp)

What I believe will happen, and what is entitled to change in DFUW:
With thousands (a pessimistic estimation) of new players, new people, new clans, new oppertunities and untouched grass to walk down you will immediately see that the other aspects and approaches towards the game (which has always been there in DF) will be much more diverse and scattered, because there will be much of the same, but also different and lots of new people to explore and make use of alternative approaches and elements - preserving and making the weightstone heavier leading to a more balanced weightscale in UF.

Why would anyone approach the game differently this time, if PvP is and has always been the major aspect? Things will be different, and I believe you will have to, because the playerbase will be  bigger,diverse and much more alive than what it is now, and it won't have the drastic downfall of playerbase that led the rest of the DF player evacuate and only taking PvP with them. Only the fact that DF UW is different in terms of crafting gear and resource control/gathering itself is enough to lead it onto a whole different path than what DF did. But this isn't something that require changes in mechanics, it just required a healthy playerbase.

Let me give an example: No clans in DF today are in need of a lumberjack clan consisting of only people who likes to go in the forest and chop wood and make a living/funding out of it. This is because all materials have been preserved and gained at a ratio that is unproportinal compared to the intented playerbase of the game. This is where I confidently believe DF UW will not suffer the same fate and will keep up with a better playerbase and perhaps making a lumberjack clan more viable, if not neccesary if the playerbase keeps up- (at DF early months there were many guild having to go out and mine/chop wood in groups, this was at a point when population was good). When this is not neccesary today clans will jus jump on eachother and fight and fight, because such a thing as resource managament  and economy hasn't proven to be an issue due to unproportial gains of resources resulted by small playerbase and clan sizes trough recent times DF.

Much of the isses that emit from the current darkfall have had it roots from the low population.. the example above is just one of them. I try to say that DF 1 had  rough times which kept the grass from blooming, and the remaining playerbase have since then emitted signals to the non-DF players that this game is only about the PvP, bcause PvP has been foremost and popular culture as a result of the popularion that only could support this kind of PvP.  The other weightstone elements of DF have been ruled out by time, because none really cared to save it, there havent been any need to because the size of warfare today only require as much as long as the playersize is as it is, which it won't be in DF UW.

The issues above are more or less a result of bad playerbase, and I dare to say DF UW won't suffer from it in the same way: AV has learned from their mistakes. DF UW will retain all the greatness DF had, and rule out things that only had a negative effect on the playerbase, this is more than enough to assume DF UW will keep a very solid playerbase but also go on a way different path un-related to playerbase issues at all. DF UWs fate is not written, and should not by any means have its first chapters written based on the ending of an entire different book called Darkfall.

In conclusion: DF 1 at launch emitted much more diverse and different signals, and the weightstones were more even. Darkfalls mechanics have not changed at all since then, still so much is different since DF 1 launch and now . Population dropped and the playerbase were forced to preserve the PvP aspects and a strong PvP culture which has resulted to DF shaping to emitt exactly these signals of being ''pvp oriented' game. That itself proves how Darkfall is a sandbox game in my opinion.

I may be wrong about all this, although I highly doubt it.DF UW will be a hell of a nice experience both short term and long term regardless (for me atleast).DF 1 has for me given the best gaming experience for years despite of its flaws or un-even weighstones. And i have never even considered myself a PvP-er

Comments

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by CriticalX

I may be wrong about all this,

Your entire wall of text is nothing but opinion and conjecture, how does that even remotely translate into clarification/clearing misconceptions?

• DrokaFonDrokaFon Member Posts: 19

Although these aren't facts and just your opinions i can see where you are comming from.

AS to the guy above me ^, this fellow is trying to open up the eye's of potential new players so they don't come to this forum and see PvP plastered all over the palce because Darkfall does indeed have more to offer then PvP.  No reason to be rude with bold =P.

Nice read.

• CriticalXCriticalX Member Posts: 3
    I changed the title. I just wanted to shed some light as to why the current game gives the impression to only cater to PvPers, which is keeping some people believing DF UW is all about PvP and repelling off potential players that may may not be all-in PvPers- which I believe is not neccesary at all
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    I changed the title. I just wanted to shed some light as to why the current game gives the impression to only cater to PvPers, which is keeping some people believing DF UW is all about PvP and repelling off potential players that may may not be all-in PvPers- which I believe is not neccesary at all

lets be real here, it caters to only pvpers because there isnt anything else. the crafting is fun but not something you can devote your time to. its mediocre at best. the PVE is great but you will often end up being engaged in PVP. the housing system is forgettable and there isnt anything else...

hopefully DF UW will change that. but it does pvp very well so why change something that isnt broke.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by deathshroud

lets be real here, it caters to only pvpers because there isnt anything else. the crafting is fun but not something you can devote your time to. its mediocre at best. the PVE is great but you will often end up being engaged in PVP. the housing system is forgettable and there isnt anything else...

hopefully DF UW will change that. but it does pvp very well so why change something that isnt broke.

Pretty much this, DF's focus changed from awhile back and it really is just a PvP MMO now. Thats all it caters to, if you try and entice those not looking just to PvP you are going to have many raising hell on these forums after trying it and finding out first hand the main and pretty much only focus of this game is PvP.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I know the craftering and the look of crafted items have drastically change. Each weapon has 8 tiers with 8 different looks. I am not sure what they changed for housing yet but I know they revamped holdings placements and locations. I cant wait to explore.
  • FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by gravesworn
    I know the craftering and the look of crafted items have drastically change. Each weapon has 8 tiers with 8 different looks. I am not sure what they changed for housing yet but I know they revamped holdings placements and locations. I cant wait to explore.
    Yeah, they have put a lot of diversity in the crafting appearance now. For example this concept image shows the aesthetic choices you can pick for making 1H and 2H Axes. Once you pick that the quality of the materials you use has a dramatic effect on the resulting weapon appearance, a small example of the same axe of different quality can be seen here. The end result will be a lot of variety and choice in what your gear looks like.
  • MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698
    Tasos Stated at the end of an interview here at mmorpg.com that they plan to make darkfall uw to be the best PvP experience on the market as that is what the team that is building this game wants it to be. There are plenty of things to do in the game but I must say it all will eventually lead to PvP because of the FFA system and the risk of death and loss a all times.

I won't be pvping all the time,much like a lot of others. I'll be exploring and having fun with friends out in the world.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Falesh

Originally posted by gravesworn

Yeah, they have put a lot of diversity in the crafting appearance now. For example this concept image shows the aesthetic choices you can pick for making 1H and 2H Axes. Once you pick that the quality of the materials you use has a dramatic effect on the resulting weapon appearance, a small example of the same axe of different quality can be seen here. The end result will be a lot of variety and choice in what your gear looks like.

Now, assuming they realized their mistake with the crafting system, hopefully none of the mob dropped weapon are good for anything more than junk PvP fun bags or salvaged scraps. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Hancakes

I may be wrong about all this,

Your entire wall of text is nothing but opinion and conjecture, how does that even remotely translate into clarification/clearing misconceptions?

after reading all that, about all i gained from it, was that there were too many resources in DF1, and that people will flock to DF2 because they can chop wood... and that will make the place seem more 'alive'

The downside is that unless they really do improve DF2 from just being a DF1 server wipe with better graphics, then these player numbers are not going to just magically appear, there are some very good underlying reasons why DF1 did not do well, and that had a great deal to do with the core game mechanics as anything. And its in this area at least, that more work needs to be done. Thats not to say that better graphics arent a good thing, DF1's graphics were in desperate need of an 'overhaul'  but graphics alone is not enough, and just because players won't be able to gain resources at the rate they used to be able to do, isnt going to make that much of a difference. The game needs more than just a paint job and wishful thinking. image

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

DF has things to offer other than PVP, but as somebody said, it all eventually leads to PVP. So if you're looking for something to keep you busy that would completely remove you from PVP, look elsewhere. There are basically two aspects to DF: 1. Pure PVP, when you go out with full intention of getting into a PVP fight (raiding cities, sieges etc). 2. Everything else with a CHANCE of PVP. Just about everything you do, there's a chance of PVP, it's the nature of FFA (FREE FOR ALL) open world PVP game. If you're looking to avoid PVP, then look for another game, there's hundreds of them on the market.

That said, there's a lot of things to do in Darkfall aside from PVP, but I'll stress again, there's always a chance that whatever you're doing will end up in PVP. So while you can do A LOT of things that are completely unrelated to PVP, such as PVE, gathering, crafting, exploration, trade, questing, there will always be a chance that you'll get into a PVP fight while doing those things. It's what makes Darkfall awesome.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.