Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 adds another NA server

Comments

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by bcbully

SO much for the Doom Talk from the Xfire fringe.  Anet adds another NA server today "Caullie's Crossing" and we all know that a company adds servers to a dwindling population base right image

TSW added a server too >.>

Grats to them, I will recheck TSW next summer when they have alot of content under their belt (well content for all types of players and not just the kind devoted to the upper 10% of the playerbase i.e. gear grinding)  Hopefully by then there should be a ton of new quests and alternate slot 8 weapons to aquire. (and hopefully some new skills)

what are you talking about, they just released new missions in Issue #3, Halloween event starting next week, Issue #4 around the corner. They add more stuff to do than I have time to finish. No one forces you to gear grind. Do the monthly missions and events if you don´t want gear from the elite dungeons and lairs

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So many people watching the populations...is ad numerum always the easiest topic?  Or just the surface level of peer pressure response?

OTOH, anything that quiets the proclamations of the prophets of doom--even if just for a couple of replies--is a welcome change.

So not sure how to feel about this op.  Guess I'll give it a thumbs down, just for being the sort of inter-game "neener neener"ing that directly fuels the non-stop fanboy wars.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

SO much for the Doom Talk from the Xfire fringe.  Anet adds another NA server today "Caullie's Crossing" and we all know that a company adds servers to a dwindling population base right image

An entire month after launch?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Is this due to the increasing population of bots?

There are so many bots in the beginning human area on Yak's Bend.  It's really discouraging when most people I ran into were exactly that, teleporting about with names like "xytsnsh.d."  I've been playing this game since launch and it's become quite disheartening.

For every 1 real player I ran into last night, I encountered 3-5 bots.  So not sure what this server is for other than them.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    it must be abug b/c ANet can only add servers by 3 b/c of WvW. Adding 1 server is not possible.
  • ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I loved that they just kind of opened it up without much fanfare, any other recent game would have been patting themselves on the back in public and screaming it from the roof tops.

I'm not surprised, it's a solid game and still incredibly active at all level ranges on our server, none of my alts have ever had a hard trime finding groups or tons of active events. Obviously new people are joining as /map is often full of new player questions. Good sign.

It's also sounding like they have some nice stuff in store for October, besides the Halloween event (which to be fair was kind of a given). That combined with the incoming changes sounds great.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Xten

Yah , in its second week after launch only because a dedicated RP server was requested which was the reason.

There was already a dedicated RP server (Aracadia). The game just had a large RP community and needed another, which was Leviathan. 

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Grats to them, I will recheck TSW next summer when they have alot of content under their belt (well content for all types of players and not just the kind devoted to the upper 10% of the playerbase i.e. gear grinding)  Hopefully by then there should be a ton of new quests and alternate slot 8 weapons to aquire. (and hopefully some new skills)

That's a game I'm going to be playing as well.   Funcom's bad luck that GW2 was around the corner, that I waited for years for release and that the game has severely exceeded my expectations...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grimal

There are so many bots in the beginning human area on Yak's Bend.  It's really discouraging when most people I ran into were exactly that, teleporting about with names like "xytsnsh.d."  I've been playing this game since launch and it's become quite disheartening.

For every 1 real player I ran into last night, I encountered 3-5 bots.  So not sure what this server is for other than them.

i'd say you are greatly exaggerating here. Got some video of this? again not saying bots aren't around but I still have yet to see one upto level 50 accross all my characters and haven't heard any of my friends talking about them or anyone in map chat talking about them.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    And i am still waiting for some news regarding merging of medium populated server on EU side. I transferred out last week to high server.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Icewhite

So many people watching the populations...is ad numerum always the easiest topic?  Or just the surface level of peer pressure response?OTOH, anything that quiets the proclamations of the prophets of doom--even if just for a couple of replies--is a welcome change.So not sure how to feel about this op.  Guess I'll give it a thumbs down, just for being the sort of inter-game "neener neener"ing that directly fuels the non-stop fanboy wars.

Separate from the usual primitive tribalism that is the mentality of many MMO gamers these days, one reason I can think of why a healthy player population is important, is development resources. Nobody needs the amount of revenues WoW gets (and that Blizzard doesn't use for WoW development at all btw except for a tiny fraction of it), but when the revenues dwindle too much, you can kiss goodbye to extensive expansions etc. A shrunken dev team can only do so much. So that's a reason why a healthy stream of revenues for the MMO company is of importance to the players of an MMO of that company too. The only way to make at least some educated guesses about it, is player activity tools, which beats the gut feeling wild guesses imo.

I don't get the OP though. I think he's wrong.

I checked it, but couldn't find that server nowhere in the list, I did a count, I came up with 24 NA servers, and 51 in total, exactly the number of servers they had early September.

What am I missing?

As for bots, I did see an annoying increase in bots, I saw like 3 times more bots last week than I saw a few weeks ago, but not the 5 bots for 1 player ratio. It can differ per server. I'll be playing this weekend on a new character in starter zones, I'll see if things have worsened by then.
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

MMOs have gotten to a point where we can actually have conversation on wether adding a  server, a month after launch, is a good/bad thing, or wether its possibly just some sort of high/low server capacity "conspiracy" to bring a false sense of security...

How sad.

Originally posted by smh_alot

I don't get the OP though. I think he's wrong.

I checked it, but couldn't find that server nowhere in the list, I did a count, I came up with 24 NA servers, and 51 in total, exactly the number of servers they had early September.

What am I missing?

As for bots, I did see an annoying increase in bots, I saw like 3 times more bots last week than I saw a few weeks ago, but not the 5 bots for 1 player ratio. It can differ per server. I'll be playing this weekend on a new character in starter zones, I'll see if things have worsened by then.

yea not showing up as of now unless they just brought it online for testing or something.. like someone said earlier they can't really open a new server without adding two more for WvWvW

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

Opening a new server one month after launch doesn't mean anything.

How many that are still playing in 3 does.

Actually it does but it is true that the game still can fall like a rock after a few months. It do however seems to go a lot better than TOR who started to really fall after 6 weeks.

GW2 is the first MMO in many years that have made it good this far at least, after 6 weeks is the population of my server abput the same as it was a month ago instead of half of that (or less). Remember games like AoC? The server felt smaller everyday I logged in after the first week. And there is way less complains in the chat channels here.

So far so good.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Haters gonna hate whatever you say. All are talkign about three months, when these are gone and there is still high populated servers, they will claim that 90% of GW2 population is bots. When this gets counter-argumented, they will claim, how Anet is cheating through chagning the server status themselves. When this is done, they will talk about how the server capacity being put down without noting the players etc.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by eGumball
    Haters gonna hate whatever you say. All are talkign about three months, when these are gone and there is still high populated servers, they will claim that 90% of GW2 population is bots. When this gets counter-argumented, they will claim, how Anet is cheating through chagning the server status themselves. When this is done, they will talk about how the server capacity being put down without noting the players etc.

You mean exactly how people have been trolling WOW success for years now? you got that one right. I would just like to know how it feels for being on receiving end.

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Mannish
    They added another server to a game that did not need one. Niceimage

Look at this one, haha, the trolls and haters are getting really desperate. 

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by JackFrosty
    Opening a new server one month after launch doesn't mean anything. How many that are still playing in 3 does.

Actually it does but it is true that the game still can fall like a rock after a few months. It do however seems to go a lot better than TOR who started to really fall after 6 weeks.

GW2 is the first MMO in many years that have made it good this far at least, after 6 weeks is the population of my server abput the same as it was a month ago instead of half of that (or less). Remember games like AoC? The server felt smaller everyday I logged in after the first week. And there is way less complains in the chat channels here.

So far so good.

The server that's added isn't true, maybe it was just some testing they did, but the number of servers is exactly the same as a month ago. As for player activity, maybe your impression is that nothing has changed much, but when you look at various player tools you'll see a significant overall drop, even more so than SWTOR experienced. But I don't think there's anything wrong with it. People should accept that MMO gamers are far more aware of launches of new MMO's and instead of joining or trying them in the course of years after a launch, they'll be there all together at launch. Besides that, GW2 is a B2P game, I can see how it'll be a game that people play next to other games and MMO's, at least that's how I did it with GW and many others with me.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I don't see it on the list, and that doesn't make sense to just add ONE server since there are 24 servers (making that 8 WvWvW matchups) they'd have to add 2 more servers to make that the 9th WvWvW matchup.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

I don't see it on the list, and that doesn't make sense to just add ONE server since there are 24 servers (making that 8 WvWvW matchups) they'd have to add 2 more servers to make that the 9th WvWvW matchup.

yea same.. must of just been up for some sort of testing

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119

^ Load o crock.

Next to that i visited all those places where people claimed that there were 20 bots 24/7 teleporting and with names like that etc  , i did not find a thing myself. I did see people doing the even but nothing out of the ordinary since when they finished it they moved on , they also had regular names and didnt teleport. I mentioned this on the gw2 forums and aparently i was there on the wrong time. I dunno how i could be there on the wrong time tho considering "24/7" and all.

But lets asume there are 20 bots on these popular bot events. that makes about 2 groups per map for these tops no lets make them 3 per map then, how would those possibly be reposponsible for giving the servers their "high" or "full" status anyway,

they couldn't.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i'd say you are greatly exaggerating here. Got some video of this? again not saying bots aren't around but I still have yet to see one upto level 50 accross all my characters and haven't heard any of my friends talking about them or anyone in map chat talking about them.

Starter human area of Yak's Bend server.  Do you really need me to link a video? It would be easier to just group up in-game.  Like the poster above me, send me a tell with in-game name and I'll friend you.  We can both goto Yak's Bend human starting area and I'll gladly show you.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    It a tactic used to give you a false sense of belief.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I don't know why this community is so hung up on server populations. They don't mean squat. You can have every single server and overflow server so full that there are always log in queues 24/7

and yet, if this thread

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366391/Poll-How-much-have-you-spent-on-gems.html

is even remotely close to an accurate sample,  there are a lot more things to worry about.

First its because there are so many haters and trolls who love to stir up controversy and yet when fans try to disprove their point we have posts such as yours.

BTW what does that gem thread have to do with the price of milk in Bangladesh?

NCSoft Exec: "Hey! yeah, wow, that's....uhh...pretty good.....You guys did pretty well. Mmhmm,....you uhh seem to have gotten yourselves a pretty popular game there......Glad to see the server populations maintained healthy levels throughout the MoP release.....Mmmm, yeah, that's...uhhh...great! 
    But, uhh,  there's just one question.......................................... 

WHHERE'S THE F*****G MONEY FROM THE CASH SHOP!!!!!!!????????" 

I haven't looked at that poll in a couple of days but on the first day I did some quick math based on when it was at 559 responses, and the low end average spent was 15$ per person.  Of course 65% or so weren't spending anything, but the other 35 % were spending on average close to 40$ at the low end.  Of course that poll isn't representative so I'm not sure how much useful information we can get from it.  But according to that poll there is a healthy amount of money being spent by mmorpg.com players.

Starter human area of Yak's Bend server.  Do you really need me to link a video? 

i'd love to see a video of you running around ANY zone and showing me the overwhelming population of people are botting.. because that is basically what you are claiming

I said the human starting area of Yak's Bend.

and still i'm not saying there are no bots around but highly doubt you could show a majority of the people in the zone botting.. if you can i'd hope you got some footage and posted this over at the official forums. Also where in the human starting area.. just made a new character on Rall that's human want ot see if I can find any

This discussion has been closed.