Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

sli 660 gtx on this psu?

wyrdaskolirwyrdaskolir San Leandro, CAPosts: 562Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182068

Full build:

That 550w 80+ gold psu
i5 3570k
gigabyte ga-277x-d3h motherboard
gtx 660 evga superclocked (will add another if this psu has enough wattage)
seagate barracuda green 1tb 5900 rpm hdd
128gb ssd
2 sticks 4gb ram
4x 120mm fans

Wondering if 550w is enough for sli? this card is supposed to be energy efficient right

I used http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine to try to calculate it and I got

Minimum PSU Wattage: 415 W
Recommended 
PSU Wattage: 465w

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K LondonPosts: 3,065Member
    You're right that the GTX 660 is an energy efficient card and your power supply is just enough to supply them both. However whenever playing demanding games, that utilize SLI, it would put your PSU under constant strain. 550W just doesn't leave enough head room and it may end up shorterning the life span of your PSU considerably. But I guess that does mean that at least you don't have to worry about replacing your 550W for a 750W, until your 550W dies.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,779Member Uncommon
    Didn't you just buy the computer?  You don't want two slower cards in SLI/CrossFire rather than one faster card.  If the GeForce GTX 660 isn't fast enough for you, then return it and get a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition instead.
  • karmathkarmath Posts: 829Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Didn't you just buy the computer?  You don't want two slower cards in SLI/CrossFire rather than one faster card.  If the GeForce GTX 660 isn't fast enough for you, then return it and get a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition instead.

Or even a 7950 with the bios flashed to the GHz Firmware is pretty dammed nice and will run allmost anything on ultra on a solid 60fps @1080p.

• Master10KMaster10K LondonPosts: 3,065Member
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Hmmm... Now that is true. If I had the money to buy 2 GTX 660s, then I would have got a GTX 670 instead.