Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a girl...no really, I'm a girl. Well, maybe not.

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Valkaern

This subject has come up countless times on these forums over the last decade and has only proven that that, as always, there's a lot of different people on the internet.

That can be said about every subject.   Quoting Solomon:

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Yay.

Add this to the other 5,984 threads about this same topic.

You stay sassy!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Originally posted by Lady_Vixen
    As a woman gamer, I just find guys that play female characters to be offensive. 

It's because so many guys feel the need to flaunt their hidden feminine side (a.k.a. virtual crossdressing) that our very existence is often questioned.  If a male character says he's a guy, it's accepted.  If a female character says she's a girl, we immediately hear "there are no girls on the interwebz," and other ignorant crap like that.  Beyond that, many of the guys who play female characters choose to dress as slutty as possible, which indirectly leads to the false assumption that if there are women gamers, we're all sluts who love to run around half naked.  In the morning the guys go back to their regular lives, but the women have to deal with the the erroneous belief that we're all sluts.  It's sickening.  To top it off, guys who choose to play female characters also tend to influence game developers costume designs.  Instead of decent looking clothes, the clothing options offered are:  swimsuits. 

Part of the problem with virtual crossdressers is that it's become widely accepted as "normal" in modern MMOs.  If the general player base treated these woman wannabes like they do transvestites in real life, many of the problems would go away. 

Whoa.... you got problems. What's wrong with a guy looking at a fine body of the opposite sex in a virtual game?

Because it isn't your bedroom, it isn't a nightclub, it isn't a pub and it isn't the beach (Exceptions are MMORPGs who feature such places). Time and place for everything and most MMORPGs shouldn't be the place nor the time for such activity.

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

Ever since my first MMO (UO) I have always rolled female toons as my main and a male as an alt.

I like the female rolls in fantasy books and film, a woman doesn't have to be a mage type.  She can be a bad ass warrior kicking ass and taking names.  Red Sonja, Grace Jones in Conan.

That and male armor usually is bland and boring, where female armor though at times borders slutty is still cooler looking.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by zanebergeron

Ever since my first MMO (UO) I have always rolled female toons as my main and a male as an alt.

I like the female rolls in fantasy books and film, a woman doesn't have to be a mage type.  She can be a bad ass warrior kicking ass and taking names.  Red Sonja, Grace Jones in Conan.

That and male armor usually is bland and boring, where female armor though at times borders slutty is still cooler looking.

And yes I am male, I also happen to be gay but above all I am a person and a gamer....just because a male chooses to play a female toon or vice versa doesn't make them some kind of "virtual crossdresser"   [mod edit]

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm not my character.  Why does this even need to be explained to some people?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I play girl toons alot or guy depends on game. Way to many times for ME the guy toons look stupid. And for ME its not to look at some guy drawn 3d girl toons butt lol and the people that do you wonder.. do they know their playing on the Internet?. And yeah its to easy to spot a guy playing girl look how they dress or the "I'm a real girl"..ok..or they have to make sure you hear and know "I'm gay".. so what? I just say you need Jesus and poof I am free of them Not the reason I came to play.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Both depends on the astetics of the char and the general story.

For example in WoW i've played both male and female champs, mostly due to the animations they had, female orcs, night elves, and UD, male dwarves, humans, trolls and space goats.

in SWTOR i played Male champs mostly, accpet for my IA just because i grabed Sydney Bristow as my name and legacy name :P so ofc i made a JG clone and went on my way to kick some ass alias style...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by Ozivois
    I want a in-game girlfriend that is, well, a girl.  I have my real life "wife", my at work "wife" and of course I need my in-game "wife".

You have two wives and you want a third?! I think this guy must be old school, no easymode casual girlfriend for him.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    As someone who's mildly transgendered, I almost always play female characters. I was forced to roll male IRL, I'm not going to force myself to in the virtual landscape as well. :)
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    This is all a bit to gay for me with men wanting to be female and then use those stolen charms by cheating othermen that are straight into giving them things. Some men would use this feature to maybe even groom young boys.. Now thats a frightening thought. I always play a male charecter as i like to be manly and enjoy letting others know im a man too, if those other guys wanna have gay or even drag queen like momments then i would be a little worried.
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Part of the problem with virtual crossdressers is that it's become widely accepted as "normal" in modern MMOs.  If the general player base treated these woman wannabes like they do transvestites in real life, many of the problems would go away. 

I agree with many of your other points, but I suspect that players that would behave in this way towards 'woman wannabes' would be equally obnoxious towards genuine female players.

Anyway, I tend to assume that any female avatar I encounter is being controlled by a male player. I see no problem with this; it ensures that I treat each player the same way. The actual gender of the player, and their reasons for choosing the gender of their avatar, are not my concern. [mod edit]  Besides all of that, with so few customization options these days, avatars in most current games tend to look very much alike. They become toons rather than characters - little more than utensils with which to consume the game's content and no more worthy of attention than a spoon.

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

It's because so many guys feel the need to flaunt their hidden feminine side (a.k.a. virtual crossdressing) that our very existence is often questioned.  If a male character says he's a guy, it's accepted.  If a female character says she's a girl, we immediately hear "there are no girls on the interwebz," and other ignorant crap like that.  Beyond that, many of the guys who play female characters choose to dress as slutty as possible, which indirectly leads to the false assumption that if there are women gamers, we're all sluts who love to run around half naked.  In the morning the guys go back to their regular lives, but the women have to deal with the the erroneous belief that we're all sluts.  It's sickening.  To top it off, guys who choose to play female characters also tend to influence game developers costume designs.  Instead of decent looking clothes, the clothing options offered are:  swimsuits. 

Whoa.... you got problems. What's wrong with a guy looking at a fine body of the opposite sex in a virtual game?

Because it isn't your bedroom, it isn't a nightclub, it isn't a pub and it isn't the beach (Exceptions are MMORPGs who feature such places). Time and place for everything and most MMORPGs shouldn't be the place nor the time for such activity.

What activity? Looking? Because that's all he said. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time playing games without looking. But please, tell us more things you think we shouldn't be doing while playing games.

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    I will roll up either depending on the class or what I am in the mood to play. I have specific gnames I use in all MMOs I play, both male and female. I have friends that specifically play males because they can't see themselves playing the opposite sex. I have other friends that only play females because "they want something nice to look at." I don't care what gender other people are in RL. I play games to play games not to flirt with a possible girl.

Originally posted by cdestey

What activity? Looking? Because that's all he said. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time playing games without looking. But please, tell us more things you think we shouldn't be doing while playing games.

He was implying that he pays special attention to please his sexual attraction to females, not just looking. I would assume most of us focus our attention on the game rather than how characters look from behind. 

He was implying that he pays special attention to please his sexual attraction to females, not just looking. I would assume most of us focus our attention on the game rather than how characters look from behind. 

Yeah, and you're implying that we should be the ones to tell others what they can and can't do while playing a game in the privacy of their own homes.

I'm not saying I agree with the guy, but that's his choice, not ours.

Yeah, and you're implying that we should be the ones to tell others what they can and can't do while playing a game in the privacy of their own homes.

MMORPGs are not exactly strictly within the privacy of their homes, they are in a shared space with other people. Even if they are within their homes, there are still "unwritten rules" of what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't: such as not chewing with their mouth open.

MMORPGs are not exactly strictly within the privacy of their homes, they are in a shared space with other people. Even if they are within their homes, there are still "unwritten rules" of what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't: such as not chewing with their mouth open.

I'd agree with you if his avatar is doing or saying anything that would give away what he's thinking, I guess. But otherwise, it has zero effect on the game and others' ability to enjoy it.

Anyway, we've kinda gotten off topic here. I usually play female characters when I come up with a name I like that only makes sense as a female.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Depends from game and how characters look like. In EQ2 and LOTRO I played only female characters (I am a female in RL). In SWTOR which I currently play I am obsessed with male characters /grin. Mostly because :

1. Body type 2 is awesome (P90X style)

2. Male voice over is superior and dialogues have more flirt options for males  (the best VO imo Sith warrior - I have chills just listening to it)

So here I am having only 4 female character and 21 male characters on 2 servers LOL

Edit: Males feel more powerful as force users (especially warrior), females just seem too weak LOL When I force leap on my male juggernaut I feel like a tornado enterred fight, with female it's just not the same...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I've never played a female character...except for in the First Tomb Raider and Alice, but I didn't have a choice there.

I'd agree with you if his avatar is doing or saying anything that would give away what he's thinking, I guess. But otherwise, it has zero effect on the game and others' ability to enjoy it.

Anyway, we've kinda gotten off topic here. I usually play female characters when I come up with a name I like that only makes sense as a female.

Yeah I agree with you: I can't deduce what their real reason for their choices is, so I don't bother either inside the game: for all I know they can be roleplayers, which I find to be a perfectly acceptable reason. Even if the clothes are skimpy, I cant be sure. 

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I'm always happy to look at a womans bottom as long as its shapely . Why wouldn't  I want to do the same in a video game lol .

Yeah sometimes I've played female characters but I've also played aliens, elves,wargs etc .

I do normally play male on my first character though and maybe have female alts .

I've never played Pandas or those bunny girls or racoons in tera .

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Dunno about you but I roll characters made of pixels!
  • GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

I cant play a female character.

And i treat everybody playing female character as males until i can hear a voice on ventrilo, mumble etc ;)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Grimmx

I cant play a female character.

And i treat everybody playing female character as males until i can hear a voice on ventrilo, mumble etc ;)

You treat males and females differently? Interesting. I mean, I can understan this to some extent in person since visual cues and even pherormones come into play to some extent. But a digital male or female toon? Boggles the mind.

Maybe I'm just getting too old and my breeding imperative isn't what it used to be--was there...did that--but I find some of the replies in this thread hilarious.

Lots of material here for a psychology course on aberrant behaviour image

I'm no more an Orc, Undead, Charr or Asuran than I am female or male in a game. I pick semirandomly as it makes absolutely zero difference.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED