Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Ask Me Anything] I've bought in-game currency before, and I still have a soul. Go figure...

I'd like to take a moment and educate some of the community here on what it actually means to buy gold from some asian vendor, and how little of a difference it makes, how it is far from ruining a game, and how much MORE do max-level players ruin the game, economy, etc.

Who am I? Who am I to think I can just buy currency on MMORPG's? I am a hardcore MMORPG veteran I have been playing MMORPG's for longer than some of you have been alive (you're all younger than 14 right? lol jk). I've 'worked' for my ph@t l00tz with more hours grinding than most people have gaming time. For much of my youth, I was extremely hardcore in my MMORPG's. Eventually, I got bored with the grind and decided to spend a few dollars in WoW to make the game more ACCESSIBLE to me. To avoid the boring grind. To achieve the goal: Fun. To eliminate the reason to Alt-F4 and unsub: grindy boredom.

I have bought gold. I know people who buy gold. I buy it freely in any game I want to have a lot of gold in. I do not have a guilty conscience. Take WoW for example, which is the game I've bought the most gold in. Am I throwing my money away? Nope, it is actually cheaper to sub a MMORPG and buy tons of gold, than to buy a console game or buy that new game that just released.

Why do I do it whenever I want? Because it makes the game more fun, equals the playing field when you're new and it's an old game, or it allows access to what you ACTUALLY want to do (have fair fights in PvP, for example).

Even on my richest day, with all the gold combined from all those I know who buy, and all they've ever bought-- it still is nothing compared to most max-level players in WoW. These other players have, and always will have, more gold than I could ever get myself. They farm is the same way chinese players do, they do the same tactics, and repeat the same processes. There are guides littered all over WoW websites on how to min/max the auction house (buy low, sell high) and how you can make tons of gold in just a weeks time.

A level 1+ player entered WoW PvP (and still does) with a severe disadvantage. Until level 70, this character will pretty much be at the bottom of the totem poll, sometimes being unable to even do damage to their heirloom or twinked enemy. Buying gold can't fix these problems, although it can help a little bit...for about 10 levels, and then the gold runs out.

"I just want a flying mount. I dont want to do boring grind for it." So why should a player be forced to? By spending a few dollars, they can have access to what they want in a video game. They can fulfill the REASON they're playing: fun.

For every reason people claim those who buy gold "ruin the game for everyone", they fail to realize how end-game is 100x worse than anything a gold buyer could ever do.

Ask me anything.

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177

To me it simply is cheating. Do not get me wrong I understand why you want to cheat this way, but to me any game where I start getting the feeling i need to cheat is not worth my time. I do not have a problem with poeple doing it though, but I dunno knowing that people either got hacked or actually where forced to work to get that gold leaves a bad taste for me if I would have brought it. 

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

Thanks for supporting phishing mails, banner hacks and grind bots. Without you online games would never be the same.

/golfclap

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by MagnusCeleritas
    Originally posted by Sicae

Thanks for supporting phishing mails, banner hacks and grind bots. Without you online games would never be the same.

/golfclap

I only buy gold from a trusted website which gathers its gold through farming.

You do realize that there ARE websites which run a professional business with an ethical policy...right?

I only have one source for anything I buy, solely for this reason. I do NOT support hackers or phishers.

Thank you for being yet another 20-something male who assumes automatically the worse, without knowing any evidence or factual information to form said opinion.

Ah, assumptions, perhaps the most scientific type of evidence possible.

How do you know they are a trusted website? Do you work there?  Don't believe everything you read online..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Look, I get that you are trying to put a good light on gold buying so that you can drum up some more business for yourself but it really has no place here. Buying gold is against the spirit and rules of the game. You don't see a problem with that fine, but most here will.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Hmmm...

Most of that gold you buy, isn't from hardworking fellows grinding for it, it's from account steals.

Here's how it works: Player A on server B buys gold from Suppiler C.  Supplier C never keeps gold on any characters, or has tons of people working on it.  What they do have is lists of people who ordered gold before, through their site and their servers and most importantly emails.  They'll then try and find one for Server B and use the login details that person uses for their site as a WoW login, (most people use the same login details).

The other angle and the more despicable side is guild site farming.  So if we take the scenerio from before, the suppiler will start looking for guilds on server B. When he's found some, he'll go to there guildsites, he'll grab all of the email address of the directory, (which isn't difficult to do), put together a phising mail and start sending them out hoping to get lucky, i.e. that someone will either give the password or try and login to a premade phising site which spits out the login details to notepad.

In both cases the objective is to strip the stolen account of assets to then supply Player A with the gold they ordered.

I don't know if you work for these companies or if you genuinely are someone whose bought gold and never thought about it from another perspective, but whatever justification you give to yourself you are benefiting from stealing. 

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116
    It just shows you are easily defeated, like the sports star who needs performance enhancing injections . The game is to hard, tough for him so he needs to bend the rules to ensure his victory . Nothing wrong with buying gold if it makes it more fun for you but you can never compete on my level after all what I find fun is the challenge that comes my way . Oh sorry I don't have any questions .
  • ElNubreUneroElNubreUnero Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

/golfclap

You do realize that there ARE websites which run a professional business with an ethical policy...right?

I only have one source for anything I buy, solely for this reason. I do NOT support hackers or phishers.

Thank you for being yet another 20-something male who assumes automatically the worse, without knowing any evidence or factual information to form said opinion.

How do you know they are a trusted website? Do you work there?  Don't believe everything you read online..

Remember, the Truth is Out There. Trust No One. Everything THEY say is a lie.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Look, I get that you are trying to put a good light on gold buying so that you can drum up some more business for yourself but it really has no place here. Buying gold is against the spirit and rules of the game. You don't see a problem with that fine, but most here will.

Drum up more business? Are there really this many conspiracy theorist types around here? Yeesh! Creepy.

You know what's MORE against the spirit but not the rules of the game? Every max-level player who spend 100 hours a week on the game, who grinds gold endlessly, buys lvl 13 greens on the auction house for 300g apiece, and promotes other forms of economy-ruining types of gameplay. All abiding by the rules, but not the spirit of the game. Mainly simply because he is max level, along with a @#$@-ton of other players who are willing to buy and sell low level items for insane prices. Simply because to a high level player...the price isn't insane.

/golfclap

I only have one source for anything I buy, solely for this reason. I do NOT support hackers or phishers. There is a reason I do not buy from the cheapest website, or why I never...EVER...buy from those who spam ads in game. (I'm sure those are phishers and hackers, guaranteed, along with most other vendors).

I did include grindbots, because I know exactly what they do to the game. The 6 grindbots at dreadmaul rock, the 5 grindbots inside/outside yeti cave, the 5 grindbots in azshara. They really made the gameworld much better.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    You are supporting criminal gangs that force vulnerable people to farm through the use of violence.

You are supporting Botting.

You are supporting account theft.

You are causing price inflation in the game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

/golfclap

I only have one source for anything I buy, solely for this reason. I do NOT support hackers or phishers. There is a reason I do not buy from the cheapest website, or why I never...EVER...buy from those who spam ads in game. (I'm sure those are phishers and hackers, guaranteed, along with most other vendors).

Sites like that are breaking the rules. The accounts they use get banned. To keep from spending excessive amounts of money on new accounts which make it less profitable they resort to highjacking and or stealing others accounts. When they highjack an account temporarily the player becomes at risk of getting banned, if they take it completely that player generally never recieves all his or her items back.

You are trying to say "There are good drug dealers" but it doesn't work that way. You are in unregulated territory where people are going against rules and regulations put in place to stop them in order to make a profit. I'm sorry, but you are a bit to self centered to look at this objectively. Your only concern is the effect it has on you and it has blinded you to the effects it has on your servers economy, other players, and the developers. You care only about your instant gratification and fair play be damned. You are above the rules because your time is simply more valuable than everyone elses.

Originally posted by Omnifish

Hmmm...

Most of that gold you buy, isn't from hardworking fellows grinding for it, it's from account steals.

Here's how it works: Player A on server B buys gold from Suppiler C.  Supplier C never keeps gold on any characters, or has tons of people working on it.  What they do have is lists of people who ordered gold before, through their site and their servers and most importantly emails.  They'll then try and find one for Server B and use the login details that person uses for their site as a WoW login, (most people use the same login details).

The other angle and the more despicable side is guild site farming.  So if we take the scenerio from before, the suppiler will start looking for guilds on server B. When he's found some, he'll go to there guildsites, he'll grab all of the email address of the directory, (which isn't difficult to do), put together a phising mail and start sending them out hoping to get lucky, i.e. that someone will either give the password or try and login to a premade phising site which spits out the login details to notepad.

In both cases the objective is to strip the stolen account of assets to then supply Player A with the gold they ordered.

I don't know if you work for these companies or if you genuinely are someone whose bought gold and never thought about it from another perspective, but whatever justification you give to yourself you are benefiting from stealing. 

If you actually knew about obtaining gold, then you would know you get far more gold grinding and multi-boxing for hours on end, than trying a resource-heavy, low-gold-getting, account phishing process.

A steady form of multi-box grind can give you quite a lot of gold. A lot more than hacking and selling crappy accounts.

I imagine you are only pretending to know how it works, based on random assumptions and bits of pieces of non-info you found on poorly written forum posts from others who have the same evidence-gathering skills as yourself.

What's even more sad is how you completely ignore the main purpose of the OP argument. High level players grinding for gold en mass destroys economy and gameplay far far greater than a minute amount of botters ever will.

/golfclap

Sites like that are breaking the rules. The accounts they use get banned. To keep from spending excessive amounts of money on new accounts which make it less profitable they resort to highjacking and or stealing others accounts. When they highjack an account temporarily the player becomes at risk of getting banned, if they take it completely that player generally never recieves all his or her items back.

You are trying to say "There are good drug dealers" but it doesn't work that way. You are in unregulated territory where people are going against rules and regulations put in place to stop them in order to make a profit. I'm sorry, but you are a bit to self centered to look at this objectively. Your only concern is the effect it has on you and it has blinded you to the effects it has on your servers economy, other players, and the developers. You care only about your instant gratification and fair play be damned. You are above the rules because your time is simply more valuable than everyone elses.

The sole reason that you're comparing drug dealers and gold sellers is enough for me to be fully aware there is no valid argument or reasonable logic to anything you will say in the future.

Seriously...comparing gold sellers to drug dealers? You're really going to go there? LOL...

/golfclap

I did include grindbots, because I know exactly what they do to the game. The 6 grindbots at dreadmaul rock, the 5 grindbots inside/outside yeti cave, the 5 grindbots in azshara. They really made the gameworld much better.

As opposed to the end-game players who farm endlessly en mass and pump billions of gold into the economy?

Try to do basic math.

All gold farmer gold combined vs all end-game player's gold combined.

The flaw is not in the gold sellers, it is in the gold mechanic. The entire game has an endless supply of gold.

Imagine what would happen if a GM granted all players on October 5th that were currently online, with 10,000 gold.

Nothing would change really. All that gold is fake...

http://onlinegamesareanichemarket.wordpress.com/2008/09/21/a-banning-we-will-go-a-banning-we-will-go-heave-ho-off-the-servers-yo-a-banning-we-will-go/

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I'd like to take a moment and educate some of the community here on what it actually means to buy gold from some asian vendor, and how little of a difference it makes, how it is far from ruining a game, and how much MORE do max-level players ruin the game, economy, etc.

Who am I? Who am I to think I can just buy currency on MMORPG's? I am a hardcore MMORPG veteran I have been playing MMORPG's for longer than some of you have been alive (you're all younger than 14 right? lol jk). I've 'worked' for my ph@t l00tz with more hours grinding than most people have gaming time. For much of my youth, I was extremely hardcore in my MMORPG's. Eventually, I got bored with the grind and decided to spend a few dollars in WoW to make the game more ACCESSIBLE to me. To avoid the boring grind. To achieve the goal: Fun. To eliminate the reason to Alt-F4 and unsub: grindy boredom.

I have bought gold. I know people who buy gold. I buy it freely in any game I want to have a lot of gold in. I do not have a guilty conscience. Take WoW for example, which is the game I've bought the most gold in. Am I throwing my money away? Nope, it is actually cheaper to sub a MMORPG and buy tons of gold, than to buy a console game or buy that new game that just released.

Why do I do it whenever I want? Because it makes the game more fun, equals the playing field when you're new and it's an old game, or it allows access to what you ACTUALLY want to do (have fair fights in PvP, for example).

Even on my richest day, with all the gold combined from all those I know who buy, and all they've ever bought-- it still is nothing compared to most max-level players in WoW. These other players have, and always will have, more gold than I could ever get myself. They farm is the same way chinese players do, they do the same tactics, and repeat the same processes. There are guides littered all over WoW websites on how to min/max the auction house (buy low, sell high) and how you can make tons of gold in just a weeks time.

A level 1+ player entered WoW PvP (and still does) with a severe disadvantage. Until level 70, this character will pretty much be at the bottom of the totem poll, sometimes being unable to even do damage to their heirloom or twinked enemy. Buying gold can't fix these problems, although it can help a little bit...for about 10 levels, and then the gold runs out.

"I just want a flying mount. I dont want to do boring grind for it." So why should a player be forced to? By spending a few dollars, they can have access to what they want in a video game. They can fulfill the REASON they're playing: fun.

For every reason people claim those who buy gold "ruin the game for everyone", they fail to realize how end-game is 100x worse than anything a gold buyer could ever do.

Ask me anything.

Ok, heres a few questions

1. Why are you trying so hard to justify yourself .

2. Isn't it true that a "fair fight" is one you stand a chance of winning because you paid RL cash to beat your opponent.

3. Isn't it true that you think you like MMORPG's when in fact you should be playing MOBA's without the character development aspect you pay to avoid.

edit: as you seem so fond of age, I am 41 and have been gaming since 1978 when I had a Mattel intellivision.

Drum up more business? Are there really this many conspiracy theorist types around here? Yeesh! Creepy.

You know what's MORE against the spirit but not the rules of the game? Every max-level player who spend 100 hours a week on the game, who grinds gold endlessly, buys lvl 13 greens on the auction house for 300g apiece, and promotes other forms of economy-ruining types of gameplay. All abiding by the rules, but not the spirit of the game. Mainly simply because he is max level, along with a @#$@-ton of other players who are willing to buy and sell low level items for insane prices. Simply because to a high level player...the price isn't insane.

Well there really are only 2 rational conclusions here. 1) You have a vested interest in the selling of gold or 2) You really are that self centered and arrogant.  Either way it isn't good.

And a heads up... prices tend to get jacked up due to bots owned and opperated by RMT's. You can generally thank them for how much crap costs you. First they bottom the prices out and attempt to corner a market then when they have they begin buying all the items they drove the price down on and relist them for insane amounts.

So... thank those you are advocating for that, not the high level players lol.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

Read this article first:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam

Now, how do you feel you potentially support this kind of activity? I know in your mind, you have this ideal picture where happy farmers are earning money to support their families. However, reality seems to suggest otherwise. Do you think that, maybe, there is slight chance that you're actually promoting this inhumane activities. This is besides phishing, scamming and other malicious things.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    You are supporting criminal gangs that force vulnerable people to farm through the use of violence.

You are supporting Botting.

You are supporting account theft.

You are causing price inflation in the game.

Please point me to any evidence that ANY gold farmers are criminal gangs forcing people to farm through violence and taking others hostage. Even a poorly written, slanted article will do fine. This one takes the cake for hilarity.

I could care less about botting. I'm pretty sure when I multi-box 5 accounts using RAF and DF, I am "botting" as well. Within the rules, in the way I want to play.

I do not support account theft, as the vendor I buy from does not steal accounts.

Really? It is me? The person who spends his gold on affordable items and never buys ridiculously priced items? Wow, I really thought it was the max level players who have endless amounts of easily obtained gold which they no longer need, playing hundreds of hours per week grinding for gold, flooding the marketplace with AH low level gear bought and sold for hundreds of gold.

LOL, I truly thought it was the hundreds of thousands of max level characters and alts that were ruining the game and causing inflation for level 1 items. I never would have conceived it was actually me, the person who never wastes a single piece of gold.

Originally posted by vgamer

Read this article first:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam

Now, how do you feel you potentially support this kind of activity? I know in your mind, you have this ideal picture where happy farmers are earning money to support their families. However, reality seems to suggest otherwise. Do you think that, maybe, there is slight chance that you're actually promoting this inhumane activities. This is besides phishing, scamming and other malicious things.

Thank you for the article! :)

I am fully happy about my gold purchases, as the vendor I buy from does not use unethical practices. It is very important to find a vendor that is ethical, as opposed to just the cheapest or first you come across.

/golfclap

The sole reason that you're comparing drug dealers and gold sellers is enough for me to be fully aware there is no valid argument or reasonable logic to anything you will say in the future.

Seriously...comparing gold sellers to drug dealers? You're really going to go there? LOL...

Yeah... because a pot dealer and a gold seller making a profit by breaking the laws and regulations set are completely different.

I get it, I don't agree with you so there for my points must not be valid. It's a common tactic of someone suffering from narcissism.

Read this article first:

I am fully happy about my gold purchases, as the vendor I buy from does not use unethical practices. It is very important to find a vendor that is ethical, as opposed to just the cheapest or first you come across.

The only way you could possibly know that is if you actually worked for them. Some guy said they didn't use any unethical practices and because it was said on the internet it must be true.

I'm starting to feel like I'm having a converation with a kid. The level of denial or naivety here is just insane.

http://onlinegamesareanichemarket.wordpress.com/2008/09/21/a-banning-we-will-go-a-banning-we-will-go-heave-ho-off-the-servers-yo-a-banning-we-will-go/

What does a link about Warhammer bans have to do with you knowing anything about me or the vendors I buy from?

I also hate gold spammers, and would never purchase gold from a vendor who spams in game. Your point?

I fail to see how this magically transforms your assumption from random assumption to factual evidence. You still have absolutely no idea what vendor does what, or which ones are ethical or unethical, let alone which one I buy from.

Assumption = to suppose

as·sump·tion

   [uh-suhmp-shuhn] Show IPA

noun

something taken for granted; a supposition: a correct assumption. Synonyms: presupposition; hypothesis, conjecture, guess, postulate, theory.

sup·po·si·tion

   [suhp-uh-zish-uhn] Show IPA

noun

the act of supposing.

sup·pose

   [suh-pohz] Show IPA verb, sup·posed, sup·pos·ing.

verb (used with object)

to assume (something), as for the sake of argument or as part of a proposition or theory: Suppose the distance to be one mile.

to consider (something) as a possibility suggested or an idea or plan proposed: Suppose we wait until tomorrow.

to believe or assume as true; take for granted: It is supposed that his death was an accident.

Read this article first:

The only way you could possibly know that is if you actually worked for them. Some guy said they didn't use any unethical practices and because it was said on the internet it must be true.

I'm starting to feel like I'm having a converation with a kid. The level of denial or naivety here is just insane.

Why are you talking to yourself in a post quoting me?

Oddly enough...I'm not a mirror, so you must be really confused...or I am...are you talking about yourself? So confusing...

Read this article first:

Why are you talking to yourself in a post quoting me?

Oddly enough...I'm not a mirror, so you must be really confused...or I am...are you talking about yourself? So confusing...

Really? I know you are but what am I? Did you really just go that route? ... ok I'm done, I'm not sitting here discussing this with a child lol.

This discussion has been closed.