Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there so much hate for Elder scrolls online?

rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371

Why is there so much hate for this game?

I mean even on this forum which is idealy mmorpg fans?

I cant be the only one who thought while playing the single player games "wouldnt this be great if you could play with a friend?" So why do people hate the idea so? especially those who play mmorpgs?

I think people just hating on it because other people are and going with the crowd so to speak.. well i think for myself and im really looking forward to seeing what they coem up with.

what people forget is that they are making a different type of game its like when they made a RTS version of halo  you didnt hear people crying saying i hope they keep this its goign to be X because it doesntg have Y.

Its going to be a mmorpg so its going to have all the features that make a mmorpg ..

And ofcourse they will keep alot of the things we loved about teh single player RPG's  if i was to guess there will be alot of exploration, random dynamic events, killable NPCs Factions to join , epic boss battles and awesome character customisation etc

At the end of the day if you dont want to play it and you prefer single player version im sure they are not goign to stop making them and you dont have to play the MMORPG version

i for one cant wait to explore some dungeons with a group of friends in the beautiful world of Tamriel !!

Comments

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

no one believes it can be done right, and if it gets made they feel it will ruin the game from them.

I forone look forward to it. =D

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    It's a very simply answer that I'm sure you already know.. Fans of the Elderscrolls have wanted a MMO that plays like the single player games for years but instead they are getting a WoW clone. 

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by Alminie

no one believes it can be done right, and if it gets made they feel it will ruin the game from them.

I forone look forward to it. =D

Thats the problem these days MMOrpg players have had so many failed mmos that they dont even give new ones a chance

No matter how good a mmorpg is there is always going to be those that find soemthing to hate about it

i say give it a chance !!!!

im looking forward to it and cant wait to see what they come up with!!

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

As soon as i heard this existed and was going to happen i was extremely excited.

Then when i read what it was going to be, i instantly stopped caring about it.

This game is absolutely nothing like any previous elder scrolls game, maybe with the exception of lore.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Its yet another cancer in the ever growing tumor that is killing the genre.
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It's a very simply answer that I'm sure you already know.. Fans of the Elderscrolls have wanted a MMO that plays like the single player games for years but instead they are getting a WoW clone. 

a mmo isnt meant to be played like a single player game...

And this is a mmorpg,  i dont understand why anyone would want a mmorpg and pay a sub to just play a single player game

Originally posted by karmath
    Its yet another cancer in the ever growing tumor that is killing the genre.

i strongly believe that the players themselves are the ones killing the genre but thats a topic for another discussion ^

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

It's the gameplay itself. The concept behind the single player gameplay, not necessarily the single player focus.

It's the reason Darkfall and Mortal Online were early on billed as 'Oblivion-like' games. Because that was essentially what people wanted. A more hands-on translation of your actions into the game in a semi-realistic medieval fantasy setting.

The fundamentals that drives such gameplay has made it into several MMOs over the last few years now, but there still hasn't been one that hits on it being an elder scrolls game.

Now an Elder Scrolls MMO comes along and it has brought that other half of the subject to the MMO genre. It has the lore, the exploration, etc. Yet, it does not have the fundamental gameplay that made the last three Elder Scrolls titles popular (not including the modding, which I honestly think makes for a smaller but considerably more dedicated subset of the fandom).

So why do people complain? Because they are getting something ther don't want masquerading as something they do.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    ....because half of the people here are uninformed or presume things. They make their decisions based on forum posts and mob mentality.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by rush1984

And this is a mmorpg,  i dont understand why anyone would want a mmorpg and pay a sub to just play a single player game

They easily could have made a firstperson view sandbox with no rails that could be enjoyed by tons of people together.  That's the way the Elderscrolls is ment to be played.  If I want to be a thief assassin I want to be able to do my job in huge towns.. Filling merc contracts and breaking into houses and robbing.  Not following a path like every other themepark.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by Deivos

It's the gameplay itself. The concept behind the single player gameplay, not necessarily the single player focus.

It's the reason Darkfall and Mortal Online were early on billed as 'Oblivion-like' games. Because that was essentially what people wanted. A more hands-on translation of your actions into the game in a semi-realistic medieval fantasy setting.

The fundamentals that drives such gameplay has made it into several MMOs over the last few years now, but there still hasn't been one that hits on it being an elder scrolls game.

Now an Elder Scrolls MMO comes along and it has brought that other half of the subject to the MMO genre. It has the lore, the exploration, etc. Yet, it does not have the fundamental gameplay that made the last three Elder Scrolls titles popular (not including the modding, which I honestly think makes for a smaller but considerably more dedicated subset of the fandom).

So why do people complain? Because they are getting something ther don't want masquerading as something they do.

ye i guess i cant understand that :D

maybe if they made a co-op elder scrolls  or somethign along those lines it would satisfy those who want to keep it as close as the single player as possible yet play with friends .

So they could have a elder scrolls mmorpg and a single player elder scrolls with co-op 

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    ....because half of the people here are uninformed or presume things. They make their decisions based on forum posts and mob mentality.

this

/10char^

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

wow clone , you gotta be kiddin me with these wow clone blames. or is that only thing you know about gaming and online gaming because news flash for you everything is always clone of something that is and was succesfull.

do not need to state it every god damn turn. 

personally i look forward for this title , i always liked them but theres been this feeling while im in there that whats the point? none seems me and things that i do is not important cause its already programmed to work that way , its good too see this world alive in means of online.

They easily could have made a firstperson view sandbox with no rails that could be enjoyed by tons of people together.  That's the way the Elderscrolls is ment to be played.  If I want to be a thief assassin I want to be able to do my job in huge towns.. Filling merc contracts and breaking into houses and robbing.  Not following a path like every other themepark.

i heard that you could switch between first person view and the traditional mmorpg view , not sure how a first persion view would work in a mmorpg or if it would leave you gimped but im sure there will be a zoom function like almost every mmorpg i have ever played.

who says you cant  break into houses and rob people and stuff?  and the other stuff is very possible for mmorpg like "not following a particular path" gw2 anyone? or pick pocketing "wow" i mean what makes you think elder scrolls wont have these things and possibly do it 10x better?

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I don't know about hate. What you're seeing is simply a lowering of expectations following the disappointment of recent releases. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It will be easier for the game to exceed expectations.
  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Ask WoW fans, or SWTOR fans, or nearly any players of nearly any MMORPG since WoW. They all play like single player games and people seem to love them.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

Elder scrolls online was announced when the hate for swtor was at its peak, and some of the ideas for the two games are similar, so the hate for elder scrolls online is mostly due to the hate for swtor. 

You can have two chefs taking the same ingredients and making the same dish, but the second dish can still be good even if the first one was dreadful, unless you really hate the main ingredients.

Originally posted by crack_fox
    I don't know about hate. What you're seeing is simply a lowering of expectations following the disappointment of recent releases. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It will be easier for the game to exceed expectations.

ye cant blame players for that i guess :D i beleive one day a mmorpg will come that will blow us away! will it be elder scrolls ? maybe not but the day will come !!!

maybe once mmorpgs have died and only the true fans are left and all the casuals have gone back to whence they came a company will make a mmorpg for the fans made by fans and we will get that vannila feeling again !!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It's the spirit of TES that players wanted. What they are getting is a taditional MMO with a TES skin which is not what TES fans want. It actually begs the question whom are they targeting?

And TES has always been primed for multiplayer, the open nature of the game has begged for it. Now they are shutting down the open ended nature of the game and making it multiplayer... lol.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Dude it is forum :) Most of the forum people hate everything. You have wow haters, swtor haters, eve haters, teso haters, gw2 haters. It is normal and if you look how many people on this forum hate wow you would think--damn this games is already dead! Well it is again over 10 mil subscribers, but if you see 20-30 post from haters you get that wrong picture.
  • Butcher_IncButcher_Inc Member Posts: 17

I'm looking forward to it. This and whatever Blizzard has up their sleeve. 

SWTOR was a disappointment but I'll be going back to it when it's F2P. GW2 is the most boring MMO I've ever played.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I guess people are not happy because it would be like if someone made a Civilization MMO then announced it was going to be a first person shooter.
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

I've been a Bethesda fan for a decade.

About 7 years ago I remember an interview where Bethesda was asked if they would ever take the game to the MMO space. The response was something close to "when hell freezes over... we believe our series is strictly designed to showcase everything that a single player RPG should strive to be".

Either hell has frozen over, or the company that I was a fan of is no longer existant.

(I understand TES:Online is a phoned in hero engine cash in for the valuable TES brand, and is being built by a 3rd party dev, but it utterly cheapens the series in my eyes)

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    meh.. if they want to make an mmo.. fine with me, but still i think they did rather put the time and money in their singleplayer games instead of an MMO.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • Butcher_IncButcher_Inc Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by timeraider
    meh.. if they want to make an mmo.. fine with me, but still i think they did rather put the time and money in their singleplayer games instead of an MMO.

Bethesda have minimal involvement in the MMO. So don't worry, you'll still get TES: 6 and Fallout: London