Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

If you do buy a manufactured computer you better hope it doesn't break.

GruntyGrunty TexasPosts: 7,061Member Uncommon

Because the parts given to the repair technician who comes to your house may be worse then the ones already in your system.

Take this with a grain of salt though. Those techs only see the broken systems.

This message is brought to you by your somewhat friendly, but angry, third party contracted on-site warranty repair tech for computer manufacturers who shall remain nameless. At least until I find a better job.

Comments

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Which is why I build and repair my own. I don't trust you "professionals". lol

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,178Member Uncommon

There has been more than one case of large computer manufacturers re-selling refurbished and lower quality non-identical parts - either as retail/new, or used as warranty repair. Acer and Gateway were infamous for it for a while

• GruntyGrunty TexasPosts: 7,061Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Every time you change your skull I wonder how long before someone steals it. Since you're no longer posting as enthusiastically as in the past I'm going to guess 3 months this time.

Originally posted by grunty

Every time you change your skull I wonder how long before someone steals it. Since you're no longer posting as enthusiastically as in the past I'm going to guess 3 months this time.

Yes, I have noticed the skull pilfering. lol

I dunno. Maybe I'm mellowing out in my old age.

Maybe.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Yes, I have noticed the skull pilfering. lol

I dunno. Maybe I'm mellowing out in my old age.

Maybe.

Nah, it's not mellowing. Idiots will always be around. You just get tired of trying to educate them. If they learn something new then something else gets lost.

• tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member

on top of that,you have to worry about that professional scamming you..

what you dont know,he can take advantage of,enabling him/her to tap your wallet dry.

kind of like a mechanic..

Originally posted by tank017

what you dont know,he can take advantage of,enabling him/her to tap your wallet dry.

The vast majority of people you hire to fix your stuff want to do a good job. They like fixing stuff. They don't like breaking other peoples stuff or screwing people over because their boss wants them to upsell an over priced extended warranty. They like educating their customers.

I wonder what you lost this time.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 none of your buidnessPosts: 476Member Uncommon

If you buy a Dell, HP, or any other branded PC the on-site tech will replace the part with exactly the same one.

If you buy a generic serviced computer then most service warranty agreements say that the part installed will be of the same value and performance with an X% margin since genertic computer dealers cannot gurantee that the exact same parts will be available for the entire duration of the warranty, and the service.

BTW if you buy any thing with extended warranty you  can expect the same thing, especially when it comes to graphic cards.

If you RMA one of the "old" good 460TI's you could get in the early days you might recieved today a handicapped version just because the manufacturer of your card could not get the same cores any more from NVIDIA.

It happened to me alot, the first time probably when i RMAed a ATI 9500 pro that died in a bad bios flash and got a 9600 Pro which was much much worse since it was basically a 9800 cut in half, after complaining i got a refurbished 9700 pro instead. RMAed OCZ memory sticks, and got simmilar ones with slightly higher latency since the hynix chips that OCZ used to use were not in production any more.

But it can also work the other way i did an RMA once on a GeForce 4600ti which had a life time warranty and got a 9600GT instead(I actually killed the 4600 on purpose since BFG were going out of buisness and announced that they will stop eaccepting RMA's :P), and i got a Pentium Dual Core for an Old P3 which also had a life time warranty.

• CyraelCyrael VA, USAPosts: 88Member Uncommon

The vast majority of people you hire to fix your stuff want to do a good job. They like fixing stuff. They don't like breaking other peoples stuff or screwing people over because their boss wants them to upsell an over priced extended warranty. They like educating their customers.

I work as part of an internal IT department for a university. I'm constantly taking systems, replacing parts, rebuilding, and doing exactly this. While there are bad apples everywhere, none of my colleagues would ever try this sort of scamming that you're describing. Ethical issues aside, it would waste time and money for both the customer AND us. Lose-lose.

Originally posted by Cyrael

I work as part of an internal IT department for a university. I'm constantly taking systems, replacing parts, rebuilding, and doing exactly this. While there are bad apples everywhere, none of my colleagues would ever try this sort of scamming that you're describing. Ethical issues aside, it would waste time and money for both the customer AND us. Lose-lose.

I'd ask if you were hiring but I'm not moving to Virginia. It's a nice place with nice people. It's in the South but it still gets too much snow and it's too close to Washington.

• ReizlaReizla AlkmaarPosts: 3,300Member Uncommon

Made the mistake once (in 2007) to buy a HP computer. Though the computer is still running (it's on my son's room now),, parts indeed are the problem. Lets make a short list of what I found out about that HP computer...

• Mainboard (ASUS brand) is custom made and very limited when it comes to expaning memor or upgrading CPU
    • CPU used is a custom made one. If it breaks down, replacing it yourself is quite hard unless you find a 2nd hand one on eBay
    • Computer case is custom made and doesn't allow you to simply replace certain parts (card-reader comes to mind)

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    ASUS GTX970 3x HD monitor 1920x1080

• tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member

I commend your upbeat enthusiasm on the human race,but thats just not how it is lol...and no,Im not saying everyone is a bad apple either.

Im not sure what you mean by what Ive lost? if youre referring to my computer,I build my own.

Ive seen scamming happen though,there was even a special on the news about it,mainly focusing on Geeksquad.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,783Member Uncommon
    The thread title makes me think "as opposed to some other sort of computer where you don't mind if it breaks?"
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The thread title makes me think "as opposed to some other sort of computer where you don't mind if it breaks?"

It got you to click on the link. image

• phantomghostphantomghost Atlanta, GAPosts: 694Member Uncommon

Thankfully I know someone to build all mine for free...

Craigslist.... people will hook you up better.  Assuming your not looking for a $200 computer (go to walmart then).  But if your looking at a rather expensive lets say $400+ computer look on craigslist.  People will buy parts based on what you need then charge you $50-$100 to build... really expensive for the time it takes but you can also go buy that computer for 2-4x the cost pre-made.

photo SIG_zpszteuyd0ejpg
    Originally posted by phantomghost

Thankfully I know someone to build all mine for free...

Craigslist.... people will hook you up better.  Assuming your not looking for a $200 computer (go to walmart then).  But if your looking at a rather expensive lets say $400+ computer look on craigslist.  People will buy parts based on what you need then charge you $50-$100 to build... really expensive for the time it takes but you can also go buy that computer for 2-4x the cost pre-made.

As an added bonus, you get the adrenaline rush of wondering whether you're going to be robbed by the "Craigslist computer guy" and dumped in a drainage ditch somewhere.