Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can TOR's 3D space bring you back?

Now before you list everything wrong with TOR, or say everything is fine as it is, my question is too people like me who quit cause they disliked alot of its current features. I complain about alot of TOR's features, so please don't cite everything wrong with the game lol, cause I've probably already posted it:)

Pre launch, bioware had a poll "what would you prefer in a space experience" where rail shooter and turret shooter where tied for worst on the poll, and JTL(Jump to Light Speed, the swg space game) and 3D space with capital ship boarding finished at the top.

Since then, little snippet's here and there have suggested that they have been working on a super secret space project, and they have said it's not the current system or an addition to the current system.(In fact they have plainly stated a massive space project has been in the works, since the poll's realizations came to light)

So the question is, if TOR launches a very cool space game, 3D like JTL, or BF2, would you try it out? I for one would, but I'm curious if it could be a game changer for TOR. I played JTL in SWG for about six months without playing any landbased gameplay, simply because I got addicted fast.

I'm always told "space is a dumb niche" and maybe people are right, but I like it, I'm just curious if others do? I would sub for a couple month's if its as revolutionary as Bioware is claiming, would you?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i'd actually consider it... i really enjoyed JTLS

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I actually got hooked up with a guild that only played the space portion of SWG. I thought it was neat that a game had another main game attached to it.

I honestly would willingly pay a sub to try it!

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

At this point, the only thing that would bring me back would be something to the effect of the following quote:

"Star Wars the Old Republic, the game that you know, was an (not so?) elaborate hoax -- it was developed for reasons of secrecy. The actual Star Wars the Old Republic will be released in the first quarter of 2013"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

If they implemented epic XWing vs. Tie Fighter style space combat missions I would.

I may return when they go F2P to level alts.  Anything short of incredible 3D space combat will not be enough for me to pay a sub.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    It'd be a step in the right direction...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DeaconX
    It'd be a step in the right direction...

I often wonder why any Sci Fi mmo would even consider launching without some sort of fleshed out space game. I'm so hard up for a good space game sci fi mmo, hell I even track Chris Roberts for hope of something in space(he did wing commander, and freelancer)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    still boggles the mind nothing like an updated x-wing vs tie fighter wasn't planned for the release of swtor way back when.. people loved that game and it would of brought in a ton of people... gah...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

SWG's space system was the best, but not because of the actual gameplay.  The actual combat mechanics and mission system was good but not great.

What made it great was the loot system.  10 levels of loot, and you could reverse engineer and combine your loot to make even better loot, so you had these little pet projects you were working on for years.  That loot system, combined with the crafting system made for a lot of fun in space.  In fact, a lot of people played the space part of the game the majority of the time.

Bioware should have just copy and pasted SWG's loot system into their ground game.  That would instantly make the game worth playing.

• crazytwancrazytwan Member UncommonPosts: 19

I would definately resub just to try it, I loved JTLS. Space sims are my niche, too.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Not even Jump to LIghtspped could hold a candle to the greatness of X-Wing / TIE Fighter / XvT and X-Wing Aliance.

JTL was a hollow shell compared to those games and what TOR has? is an insult to all of them.

I don't really care if TOR adds space combat to its game or not.  There's no spaceships in the game from the Star Wars movies so it'd just be a generic space shooter. Like Black Prophecy.  Didn't play that either.

Originally posted by koboldfodder

SWG's space system was the best, but not because of the actual gameplay.  The actual combat mechanics and mission system was good but not great.

What made it great was the loot system.  10 levels of loot, and you could reverse engineer and combine your loot to make even better loot, so you had these little pet projects you were working on for years.  That loot system, combined with the crafting system made for a lot of fun in space.  In fact, a lot of people played the space part of the game the majority of the time.

Bioware should have just copy and pasted SWG's loot system into their ground game.  That would instantly make the game worth playing.

I made a ton of credits selling space loot lol. Crafters used to pay top dollar for bags full of space parts, of course than I had to pay all of it back to them for an upgrade lol. Circle of life and all that.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Not even Jump to LIghtspped could hold a candle to the greatness of X-Wing / TIE Fighter / XvT and X-Wing Aliance.

JTL was a hollow shell compared to those games and what TOR has? is an insult to all of them.

I don't really care if TOR adds space combat to its game or not.  There's no spaceships in the game from the Star Wars movies so it'd just be a generic space shooter. Like Black Prophecy.  Didn't play that either.

Gameplay wise, I can kind of agree, but in customization JTL was amazing. I had a damn fleet practically lol. Spent alot of time trying to cut weight down on my ships. That was a great system as far as complexity, crafting options, and competition. Granted I do wish alot would have been added to the gameplay side.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by william0532
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Gameplay wise, I can kind of agree, but in customization JTL was amazing. I had a damn fleet practically lol. Spent alot of time trying to cut weight down on my ships. That was a great system as far as complexity, crafting options, and competition. Granted I do wish alot would have been added to the gameplay side.

I won't refute any of that.

But it wasn't very.... Star Warsy.  Meaning that it allowed you to own damn near every ship and just carry them around in your pocket.  It was too... gamey.

The X-Wing games were waaaay more immresive into their respective militaries.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

At this point, the only thing that would bring me back would be something to the effect of the following quote:

"Star Wars the Old Republic, the game that you know, was an (not so?) elaborate hoax -- it was developed for reasons of secrecy. The actual Star Wars the Old Republic will be released in the first quarter of 2013"

The thing that is crazy about this is that the game is so bad that the "elaborate hoax" thing would be believable. The existing explanation (collaborative corporate stupidity and hubris) stands, but your imaginative quote is awesome.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by william0532
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I actually got hooked up with a guild that only played the space portion of SWG. I thought it was neat that a game had another main game attached to it.

I honestly would willingly pay a sub to try it!

My piioting lvl was higher than my character lvl in SWG I enjoyed it quite q bit. Sadly I don't think SWTOR's space combat will be anywhere near as enjoyable consider the first of it was nothing but a rail shooter.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    A real space sim like JTL is about the only thing that would tempt me back. I've said in the past that since SWG closed just as SWTOR launched, they should have just bought the JTL code off SOE and tacked it on to the core game the same way it was done in SWG. I reckon that ought to be easier and cheaper than designing a space game from scratch.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

To be honest, the only reasonable, and if I were a long shot betting man, valid SWTOR secret space project would be buying and retooling "Black Prophecy". http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/25/black-prophecy-says-good-bye-today-with-parties/

Come to think of it, I heaby offically predict that EA is in the process of buying Reakktor Media outright.

A retooled Black Prophecy will be the basis of the new SWTOR space combat. (No atmospheric flight, so none of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97RVEp1t6Q&noredirect=1)

I will be correct and you will all have to call me Swami and hope I use my incredible predictive powers for good.

This is why reakktor http://www.reakktor.com/ is awaitting a reinkkarnation.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Something like JTL would bring me back, is somehting i loved.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Swami, Swami, Swami, Swami, Swami.
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Swami, Swami, Swami, Swami, Swami.

LOL, I'm not sure about that. I read on Darth Hater that they where working on the engine for the space project(a quote from Daniel Erickson on how much work it is), so to me that would make me think that they already had an engine in mind. Not sure, you may be correct. Oh and the swg atmoshperic flight video was pretty damn hilarious.

Plus isn't black prophecy distributed by another distributor other than EA? Unless your thinking EA would swoop in and buy them while they are going bankrupt(EA wouldn't do that would they lol?)

Oddly enough you have questioning which developers worked on 3D space that's been bought out by EA lol

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

A retooled Black Prophecy will be the basis of the new SWTOR space combat. (No atmospheric flight, so none of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97RVEp1t6Q&noredirect=1)

I remember watching this on livestream when chaos began. Good times.

I'm waiting for them to unveil the new space system with a bit of optomism. It's been said already it's not as on rails as the current system, but even if they just allow 3-dimensional movement it won't be enough IMO. They need more to the ship building part.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    It would help but this is juts another example of why TOR was a failure. This should have been there at launch and not a year later. The rail shooter space combat they have now is just really bad. They took the worst Star Wars game of all time (Rebel Assult) and copied it.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I haven't been following TOR's news.  Did they announce space combat without rails?

I did not quit TOR because of the space-on-rails.  I disliked it for breaking the immersion by not having lightsaber attacks inflict fatal or dismembering blows.  Before you say that would be overpowered, I have thought about this.  All they needed were shield generators for non-force people and real parry animations (every swing, not just as a defensive move) for force users.  Instead of a health bar, your shield or force focus wears down.  When it reaches zero, you take a fatal blow and fall over.

The whole game just felt like a reskinned version of WoW.  They didn't even make an effort to make the game different, beyond graphics, setting, and a few minor game features.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Im sceptical. BW really didnt get the concept with MMO´s being a world with players cooperating and doing stuff together in mutual interdependance.

With the total failure of an attempt to have spacecombat, i doubt they will have anything even remotely as good as JTL.

JTL had fully configurable ship, not two were alike.

The lootsystem with RE could keep you busy for days, allways looking for better parts or trading the ones you had.

The spacequests were epic, remember the Nova Orion questline?

And the coolest thing, the GUNSHIPS! Where you could bring a whole crew, manning the guns and op´s, or just have a party onboard.

Will we see something like this in TOR? Eh...naw...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Lol, I'd like to see that! XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert