Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Next to tackle PvP & Sandbox?

NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

"When asked about it, Smedley indicated that EverQuest Next would hew to F2P as well. He also said players shouldn't worry that they haven't heard much about this new title because the secrecy is intentional. "We want to get it right," Smedley said. "That's the pillar of our company and we are going to get it right. We're also making the next generation of MMOs, not an evolution -- and everyone says that, but in this case, we're zigging every other company's zag. Everybody's making WoW 1.5. We're doing something else."

"For the creative director of the entire EverQuest line, Dave Georgeson, the real benefit of Forge Light will be in roleplaying your EQ toon."

""We wanted to make the next EverQuest be something that still keeps the flavor the original and the lore and core tenants of it, but we wanted to make something that is truly next generation," said SOE president John Smedley of the game's direction. Smedley also said that SOE plans to provide a wide range of scalability for the game, noting that EverQuest Next will accommodate cutting-edge tech right down to minimalist laptops."

"The report states the new game will be a "reimagining" of the EverQuest series rather than a direct progression of EverQuest 1 and 2. The game will also be developed with Player Vs Player features in mind and with "more engaging" combat."

---

That certainly makes it sound like EQ next will just use the EQ IP to go for something different than typical themepark or RvRvR game.

Sources are from Massively, Giantbomb, Tenton & other gaming news sites. Mostly all the information is gathered from Fan faires.

Comments

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Even though they said it is being developed with player vs player in mind, I would still expect it to be primarily PvE focused.  The Everquest franchise has always been about PvE with PvP being a distant afterthought.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Rule #1 when dealing with SOE:  Don't believe a damn thing Smed says..  He very rarely tells the truth or follows through with something he tells the community.  I can't believe people still even listen to him.. 

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Don't lose your hair when I'm saying this, but he has been quite frankly, an honest person when it comes to Planetside 2.

People change, especially when we talk about MMO developers, usually its for the worse though.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

am looking forward to see what they are doing with EQ3, but really all those statements is nothing but "hype management", iirc there wont even be any more info on EQ3 at the coming SOE live event - have to be some next year though, when PS2 have been released and they actually have a proper team to work on EQ3....sounds to me like they were about to work on EQ3 then all of sudden decided to focus on getting PS2 out of the door first *grumble*  well suppose they were in line for their sequal : P

well for now will just have to wait and see if care to return to EQ2 when they release their next expansion

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Sounds pretty good.  I am dying to learn more.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Rule #1 when dealing with SOE:  Don't believe a damn thing Smed says..  He very rarely tells the truth or follows through with something he tells the community.  I can't believe people still even listen to him.. 

I love SOE and can not wait for EQ Next or 3 whatever you want to call it, but he is right on this do not listen to Smedy in all truth Sony should have done something about him years ago. EQ3 will be a sandbox of some sort imo as that is the way they are taking EQ2 which I am sure they are testing things for EQ3 just like they did with EQ for EQ2 if that makes sence lol.

Originally posted by gekkothegrey

I love SOE and can not wait for EQ Next or 3 whatever you want to call it, but he is right on this do not listen to Smedy in all truth Sony should have done something about him years ago. EQ3 will be a sandbox of some sort imo as that is the way they are taking EQ2 which I am sure they are testing things for EQ3 just like they did with EQ for EQ2 if that makes sence lol.

Smedley, among others at SOE have done extraordinary well at Planetside 2, no matter how much of an false PR person he is, he seems to take the newest projects very seriously, and is closely part of the community of PS2 beta, which is surprising from a person of his status at larger company.

Ever seen a CEO of Blizzard arguing about stuff on Blizzard forums?

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

I hope this goes toe-to-toe with Titan.

It's going to be 2003 all over again!

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Neherun

Smedley, among others at SOE have done extraordinary well at Planetside 2, no matter how much of an false PR person he is, he seems to take the newest projects very seriously, and is closely part of the community of PS2 beta, which is surprising from a person of his status at larger company.

In my opinion, Smedley had a huge rude awakening with the entire SWG fiasco. Since then he has taken a much more active role in ensuring the games under the SOE banner get what they need. Planetside 2 is showing signs of this 'new' Smed and is looking pretty good so far. Hell, even Vanguard is getting some love now as well.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's Eq, it will be raid raid raid raid and more raid

Sandbox and pvp don't make me laugh

I congratulate you for such insight without any proper arguments towards it.

SOE has said to from now on favor F2P & Player vs. player models. They even acquired Wizardy online.

General : EverQuest Next Reworked, Playable Next Year

Posted Oct 18, 2012 by Michael Bitton

Fans expecting new information on 'EverQuest Next' during this year's SOELive came away tonight with a bittersweet announcement from SOE president John Smedley.

During tonight's SOELive keynote address, Smedley explained that everything we've seen on EverQuest Next thus far has been scrapped and the game is in the process of being reworked. Given the turn of events, SOE will not be showing off EverQuest Next during this year's SOELive. However, Mr. Smedley did promise attendees that not only would EverQuest Next make an appearance at SOELive next year, it will also be playable.

Why'd SOE scrap the work done up to this point? Smedley noted that the team ultimately wasn't happy with the game. EQ Next felt too 'evolutionary', more like an EverQuest 3 than what SOE was going for. According to Smed, SOE 'changed the world' with the launch of the original EverQuest, and they want the launch of EverQuest Next to be an equally monumental moment in the MMO genre.

To that end, Smedley promised that EverQuest Next would be the "world's largest sandbox", with content delivered to players in an entirely new way. The team is being lead by EverQuest staples such as Terry Michaels and Dave Georgeson and fans were assured that they are intending on remaking Norrath into something unlike anything players have seen before.

I guess one could call it "Confirmed?"

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Hedeon

am looking forward to see what they are doing with EQ3, but really all those statements is nothing but "hype management", iirc there wont even be any more info on EQ3 at the coming SOE live event - have to be some next year though, when PS2 have been released and they actually have a proper team to work on EQ3....sounds to me like they were about to work on EQ3 then all of sudden decided to focus on getting PS2 out of the door first *grumble*  well suppose they were in line for their sequal : P

well for now will just have to wait and see if care to return to EQ2 when they release their next expansion

EQ name has been SoE baby it seems to me since there both using forge light, they plan to use PS2 as a engine test to get all the bugs and glitches out for EQ3, Also a MMORPG takes longer to develope well over an MMOFPS cause all of the little details needed to make it right. EQ3 has been in development since 2009 when they released the 10 year anniversary book of EQ however once PS2 comes out they can put more man power on it to get it pout the door faster i would assume mopst of the planning been done and they started in making the world to a degree will definetly go faster when PS2 comes out though.

Originally posted by Neherun

I have to agree with you here it seems to me SoE as a company is changing there willing do try thing now they found out making the same games over and over as every other company is not going to work. It seems to me they made it there goal to reclaim the throne they had with EQ and look like there realy determined to go at it and i hope they do it right : ) i wish them all goodluck and look forward to next year when we get to see some more of EQ next with the fanfair. For myself and them i hope they do it right and bring back the magic of MMORPGS that EQ once had.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

You can have raids without instances just like EQ 1 originaly had open world raid bosses, which will fit right in with sandbox elements

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by sirphobos

Even though they said it is being developed with player vs player in mind, I would still expect it to be primarily PvE focused.  The Everquest franchise has always been about PvE with PvP being a distant afterthought.

Yup, at it's core EQ has always and will always be a PVE mmo that wont change.

EQNext will be a hybrid rather than a full on sandbox mmo. Smed said "sandbox style mm" not a total sandbox. A cross between Vanguard with it's vast non instanced open world and EQ with modern day features. Bring back skills like sence heading and foraging and kick and being able to drop items on the floor.

They have already said there will be a hardcore server that resembles EQ at it's most demanding.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by sanshi44

Originally posted by ShakyMo

You can have raids without instances just like EQ 1 originaly had open world raid bosses, which will fit right in with sandbox elements

Of course you can, Vanguard is such a MMO with no instances and a vast open world with open air dungeons and over land raid bosses.