Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wipe questions finally answered

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=3315

'

I would like to address a couple of issues that have been on the community’s mind for a while now and I apologize that we haven’t done so already.

Regarding the question of a “wipe”, I have to say that despite our best efforts, our old characters from Darkfall Online cannot be transferred to Darkfall Unholy Wars, and to explain further:

These are different games and the DFUW character system is incompatible with the old characters. These are two completely different worlds, there is a different skill acquisition system, different skills, different stats, all the way down to the story-line  everything makes them incompatible.

Assuming we forced things and made it possible, the DFUW characters would completely destroy the Darkfall Online characters, and I make this comparison to also give you a practical idea of the incompatibility.

I understand that you may be concerned about needing to grind to viability again. This won’t be an issue; we have made it our goal to make it possible for new characters to become viable very quickly in their chosen role. The character progression of Darkfall Online left us with many lessons learned.

Finally, I believe we all need a fresh start.

So why did it take us so long to communicate this? We honestly tried to find the best possible solution, for a long time. If you recall we were initially talking about a “re-launch” of Darkfall Online. After we made the decision to start a new game it became more and more apparent that it makes little sense to keep the old charaters. Even so, I wanted to make sure that this option was alive for as long as possible. In the end we needed to make a decision on what was the best thing for the game and for the players.

So what happens to the old characters? We will preserve them for several reasons. One reason is to commemorate them in a Darkfall Online tribute/memorial after the original Darkfall is over. Another is to keep them for Darkfall related side-projects we are considering. We’ll give you more details on all this after the DFUW launch.

Regarding Darkfall Online, in its current form, we will shut it down to make room for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

As far as Darkfall Online players needing to buy Darkfall Unholy Wars or not, we will keep our promise and give everyone who ever bought Darkfall Online the opportunity to get the new game just for the price of the subscription. Even though we had promised this before we decided to make a new game,  it’s the least we can do for our community.

Thank you for reading.'

Shit just got real.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    As my sexy Essex friend pointed out "SHIT GOT REAL"

If you where not here for first few weeks of DF, what btw was truly amazing, make sure your here for DF:UW launch, gona be SICK!!!! PVP will be crazy fun.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Ill play just because of this... equal playing field out the gate.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

The first few weeks of DF was awesome.

Count me in for DFUW!

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54

Keep an eye out on this one. Anyone who complains or QQ's about their virtual toon being "lost" for DarkFall are carebears. That, and DarkFall needed a "Fresh Start" for awhile now, and this just means i'll be going back full time if DFUW isn't a mess :D.

Yay ^-^

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I hope this attracts even more players than the eu1 launch. Such a blast back then. I am excited to see how roles will change the dynamic of the game. Guess good bye super soldiers hello trinity lol.
  • SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    I hope this attracts even more players than the eu1 launch. Such a blast back then. I am excited to see how roles will change the dynamic of the game. Guess good bye super soldiers hello trinity lol.

Same, I HATED the super-soldiers that could essentially solo 6 people. Sure, that's pure skill compared to their enemy (I did it several times), but it removed the need to cooperate with your fellow guildies/clanners/players. I actually enjoy some form of support, tank, dps, or something like that.

Having defined roles is something our society in RL is based upon. We are breed from day-one to think in a role mentality. The reason why GW2's role-less system doesn't appeal to quite a few people is due to the fact some people just like being in a role based situation to be the best they can at that given task.

Me? I prefer either or, but I also enjoyed being a bulky steel-covered tank that was almost impossible to kill :3. I'll wait and see how this works out though. There's always room for failure.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    I'd start by saying "No shit sherlock". The moment they mentionned that they "might" wipe, it was obvious that they would. I'm fine with this. I do wish Aventurine would have kept character names however, so that players can use their names from DF1.0 in DF2.0 or at least reserve them. Then again, if some players get their names stolen it could get interesting for the first 2-3 weeks or so.
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I liked the update.  Hell it will only cost me subscription to play.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Awesome news. Can't wait for Nov 20th. 
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    at last!!!!!
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    For everyone thinking Aventurine is in just for the money, making DF:UW free for whoever purchased Darkfall is the best answer.
    I would have charged since it is basically a new game.
    But I am not complaining since I have a new toy to play with in November, for free

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

great news!

time to go use up some of that dragon armor!

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by ste2000
    For everyone thinking Aventurine is in just for the money, making DF:UW free for whoever purchased Darkfall is the best answer. I would have charged since it is basically a new game. But I am not complaining since I have a new toy to play with in November, for free

well price of subscription which will probly be 15 again

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Nice update!

Does DF still have a US and Euro server?

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

so it gonna have still 2 servers one EU and one NA or at the start will be 1 huge server for all?? i liked when we all were together tbh... and the world was really alive... anyway..

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by sodade21

so it gonna have still 2 servers one EU and one NA or at the start will be 1 huge server for all?? i liked when we all were together tbh... and the world was really alive... anyway..

Wasn't crazy about 300ms + ping

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by sodade21

Wasn't crazy about 300ms + ping

well still i got more fun with many people around.. the game is designed for many players at once. hope they do it right this time ! :)

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Awesome news. Can't wait for Nov 20th. 

What's on Nov. 20th?

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    There are serious companys out there whp care about customers. Aventurine is obviously not one of them. I ll spend my money elsewhere.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    There are serious companys out there whp care about customers. Aventurine is obviously not one of them. I ll spend my money elsewhere.

AV care about their customers. They had to wipe and they did. I am glad they are looking after me as a customer by making Darkfall: Unholy Wars a success so I can continue to enjoy the game rather then falling at the first hurdle by failing to wipe.

• googie23googie23 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

how many companys make a new game to keep their customers happy?  aventurine does care and as a darkfall player i would be willing to pay atleast $60 for the new game.

• googie23googie23 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    could do what blizzard does and just keep adding more shit to a big pile of crap.
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I never bought the original DF, hell I don't really care for FFA PvP, with that said I'll be purchasing this to give it a shot on day 1.
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I would of paid for the new game too.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I'll be there with bells on. Well... spurs... maybe, more manly.

edit - I'll just be there.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"