Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those complaining about PVP, full loot etc...

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by Falesh

Just don't get mad when nobody plays DF:UW.

It's just one post, don't go to the other extreme and condemn a game because of some rude post. There are rude posters in every community, if you don't like them then ignore them.

As much as I tend to disagree with Frodo, I feel the need to point out that I think his one liner response was directed at the way the game is described and the way people are discussing this aspect of the game rather than the OP's views and less than polite way of talking down to anyone who questions the PvP aspects of the game itself. I feel that for a game to do well it has to give  over on some things and give different type of players things to do rather than alientating these type of players all together. It's that or lower your standards of success. While I don't feel the way the OP does regarding calling anyone who doesn't want full loot PvP and such as a carebear, I do agree that if you have a problem with it you should look elsewhere. I very much agree with Frodo that if this is your stance towards others that don't like the direction, don't cry when your game is dying.

My response was glib.  But the point is simply that Full Loot PVP is clearly a deal breaker with most MMOers.  There are too many griefers in MMOs as it is.  I don't buy the argument that epic PVP requires looting my corpse.

This is like a religious argument.  You are either for or against full loot PVP.  If the game offered servers where you couldn't loot my corpse I would actually look into the game more.  But as it is, knowing it has full loot PVP means I won't examine it further.

I don't look down on anyone that likes full loot PVP, but there are more than a few who look down on people that dislike full loot pvp.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Ok go play gw2, WoW or anything similar and do some pvp have no rush what so ever just play the game, play DF with something that you earned and have the chance of loosing, and have insane adrennaline rush/sense of achievement. HMMM

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

Just don't get mad when nobody plays DF:UW.

It's just one post, don't go to the other extreme and condemn a game because of some rude post. There are rude posters in every community, if you don't like them then ignore them.

As much as I tend to disagree with Frodo, I feel the need to point out that I think his one liner response was directed at the way the game is described and the way people are discussing this aspect of the game rather than the OP's views and less than polite way of talking down to anyone who questions the PvP aspects of the game itself. I feel that for a game to do well it has to give  over on some things and give different type of players things to do rather than alientating these type of players all together. It's that or lower your standards of success. While I don't feel the way the OP does regarding calling anyone who doesn't want full loot PvP and such as a carebear, I do agree that if you have a problem with it you should look elsewhere. I very much agree with Frodo that if this is your stance towards others that don't like the direction, don't cry when your game is dying.

My response was glib.  But the point is simply that Full Loot PVP is clearly a deal breaker with most MMOers.  There are too many griefers in MMOs as it is.  I don't buy the argument that epic PVP requires looting my corpse.

This is like a religious argument.  You are either for or against full loot PVP.  If the game offered servers where you couldn't loot my corpse I would actually look into the game more.  But as it is, knowing it has full loot PVP means I won't examine it further.

I don't look down on anyone that likes full loot PVP, but there are more than a few who look down on people that dislike full loot pvp.It's usually because the people that shun Full loot PvP have only ever tried it for a little over a second...

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

If the game offered servers where you couldn't loot my corpse I would actually look into the game more.  But as it is, knowing it has full loot PVP means I won't examine it further.

I don't look down on anyone that likes full loot PVP, but there are more than a few who look down on people that dislike full loot pvp.

True. but we don't go posting on WoW clone forums demanding the game be made full loot. that would be stupid.

stupid because those games are not designed around full loot so it would not work, right? well thats exactly why we get pissed off with you anti full loot chaps. games like darkfall are designed around being full loot, without that the game would not work AT ALL.

Failure to comprehend the above fact, leads to getting looked down upon.

My blog: image

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I must of missed something...I've sene only one post asking about the possibility of a PvE server for DF:UW which I would agree wasn't a smart request given that full loot PvP is the main meal of this game and everything else is very light sides.But other than that I've not seen anything else to warrant this kind of vitriolic response let alone an new thread.

I also fell I must warn peopel not to judge Darkfalls community on the few antagonistic peopel who post here.The majority of the community is very helpful to new people and mature,sure they will then try to kill you and take your lootz but that is the nature of the game and like any game if you don't liek the basic mechanics...don't play it.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Consensus

If the game offered servers where you couldn't loot my corpse I would actually look into the game more.  But as it is, knowing it has full loot PVP means I won't examine it further.

True. but we don't go posting on WoW clone forums demanding the game be made full loot. that would be stupid.

stupid because those games are not designed around full loot so it would not work, right? well thats exactly why we get pissed off with you anti full loot chaps. games like darkfall are designed around being full loot, without that the game would not work AT ALL.

DarkFall could work without Full Loot. Well...there'd need to be a ton of changes made to pretty much every feature besides full loot, because the game is more of a PvP game than a sandbox, but still. An MMO does not need to have Full Loot to work, it's the players that want to feel the risk factor that wants it, and that's perfectly fine, but you shouldn't claim that it wouldn't work otherwise.

And on your last sentence, it's not that these players don't comprehend the fact that DF was built as a full loot game. Rather, I'm sure they're fully aware of it, but it doesn't stop them from wishing the game would offer an alternative server that keeps mostly everything except the full loot. Much like WoW has PvE, RP, PvP servers, DarkFall could very well have Full Loot Server and a non-Full Loot server. What would this do? Well it'd attract a lot more players to play DarkFall for one, and increased revenue for Aventurine so that they can continue to develop the game...and hire some people who can meet ETAs.

I prefer Full Loot PvP, so if I do go back to DF when UW launches, I'd definitively pick the Full Loot PvP server, but I sure wouldn't belittle players who'd pick a non-Full Loot PvP server. Just remember, Full Loot is just one aspect of DarkFall.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by Consensus

1) I don't make any threads regarding full loot PVP

2) This thread invited people who don't like full loot pvp and then made attacks on them.  Why the mods delete legit threads and leave flaming OPs I'll never understand.

My response and participation here is completely reasonable. 

I couldn't care less what any full loot PVP game does.  I certainly wouldn't demand them to change anything.  I honestly don't care what they do.  The only reason I might care is if an IP I loved had an MMO and it was full loot only.  that is the only time I would actually complain.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I agree with OP.

You have WoW, SWTOR, Rift etc... let us have our game now.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Seronys

I heard Mists of Pandaria just came out, why don't you go boss it up as a cuddly wuddly panduh, dawwwww.

No but seriously, this game is a hardcore PVP game, if you can't deal with PVP, if you can't deal with losing you're precious pixels, stop posting, stop looking at the game, and just go play something else, cause this is what it is and this is how it should be. Carebear themepark mmos have ruined the mmo genre as we all know and leave no room for original content, DF is original, it's got something everything nowadays doesn't. This game is already dumbing down it's combat system so some of the "slower" players can keep up.

If you guys like action-packed skill-based pvp thrillrides (anyone who thinks otherwise about the skill part more than likely sucked at this part),  massive siege warfare where you fight 50 VS 50, 100 VS 100, where the game feels like a game of starcraft, but from the perspective of a zealot ( perfect example, each one of those spells individually aimed, the target called) for control over resources, dominance over land, than this game is for you. There's more to DF than just this ofc, but this is the part I found most enjoyable.

"If you guys like action-packed marcoing into walls and pvp based on charater skill level and not player skill then Darkfall is the game for you"

Fixed it for you and yes I played Darkfall, if you know how to make a macro, than you can be a "Boss" in the game.   24/7 Macroing into Walls and such does not equal player skill.  Sorry, try again.

Darkfall was okay but it needed way to much work to be worth sticking it out for me personally and I left after the first month.

Until they fix the Macroing issue, the game is not worth it.

Sooner or Later

• SeronysSeronys Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

I heard Mists of Pandaria just came out, why don't you go boss it up as a cuddly wuddly panduh, dawwwww.   No but seriously, this game is a hardcore PVP game, if you can't deal with PVP, if you can't deal with losing you're precious pixels, stop posting, stop looking at the game, and just go play something else, cause this is what it is and this is how it should be. Carebear themepark mmos have ruined the mmo genre as we all know and leave no room for original content, DF is original, it's got something everything nowadays doesn't. This game is already dumbing down it's combat system so some of the "slower" players can keep up.   If you guys like action-packed skill-based pvp thrillrides (anyone who thinks otherwise about the skill part more than likely sucked at this part),  massive siege warfare where you fight 50 VS 50, 100 VS 100, where the game feels like a game of starcraft, but from the perspective of a zealot ( perfect example, each one of those spells individually aimed, the target called) for control over resources, dominance over land, than this game is for you. There's more to DF than just this ofc, but this is the part I found most enjoyable.

"If you guys like action-packed marcoing into walls and pvp based on charater skill level and not player skill then Darkfall is the game for you"

Fixed it for you and yes I played Darkfall, if you know how to make a macro, than you can be a "Boss" in the game.   24/7 Macroing into Walls and such does not equal player skill.  Sorry, try again.

Darkfall was okay but it needed way to much work to be worth sticking it out for me personally and I left after the first month.

you might need to play past the first month of release here bud, this issue has been addressed, the character skill gap between the macroers and non was probably once and issue, but when you play a game where the skill gap is the same for all, it comes down to who is better.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I heard Mists of Pandaria just came out, why don't you go boss it up as a cuddly wuddly panduh, dawwwww.

No but seriously, this game is a hardcore PVP game, if you can't deal with PVP, if you can't deal with losing you're precious pixels, stop posting, stop looking at the game, and just go play something else, cause this is what it is and this is how it should be. Carebear themepark mmos have ruined the mmo genre as we all know and leave no room for original content, DF is original, it's got something everything nowadays doesn't. This game is already dumbing down it's combat system so some of the "slower" players can keep up.

If you guys like action-packed skill-based pvp thrillrides (anyone who thinks otherwise about the skill part more than likely sucked at this part),  massive siege warfare where you fight 50 VS 50, 100 VS 100, where the game feels like a game of starcraft, but from the perspective of a zealot ( perfect example, each one of those spells individually aimed, the target called) for control over resources, dominance over land, than this game is for you. There's more to DF than just this ofc, but this is the part I found most enjoyable.

They fixed the macroing issue like, a year and a half ago... Do you just assume games don't change? And they've gone even further in Unholy Wars.

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78

This just shows how uninformed you are about Darkfall. A skilled player with a character only a few weeks old can kill vets, this has been done many many times. Player skill in Darkfall was always greater then your character skill because of the skill required to fight.

This just shows how uninformed you are about Darkfall. A skilled player with a character only a few weeks old can kill vets, this has been done many many times. Player skill in Darkfall was always greater then your character skill because of the skill required to fight.

Wrong, During beta and the first month of release, player skill did not mean anything at all.  A player who used Marco's had better skills open to them and could kill those with lesser skills open to them reguardless of player skill.

Why play for more than a month when the macro thing was reported in beta and the company did nothing about it come launch?  It showed that it was an accepted play style and that is all I needed to know about the company to walk away and never look back.

Sooner or Later

Originally posted by DavisFlight

They fixed the macroing issue like, a year and a half ago... Do you just assume games don't change? And they've gone even further in Unholy Wars.

Games change but when the macroing issue was reported in beta and never addressed at all, it lead me and others to believe that it was here to stay and that was enough to walk away from the game and the company that made it.

Glad to here they fixed it, it should have never been an issue in the live version in the first place as it was reported and reported and reported in beta but nothing was done about it.

Sooner or Later

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Feel better now that you got that out?

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by TdogSkalWrong, During beta and the first month of release, player skill did not mean anything at all.  A player who used Marco's had better skills open to them and could kill those with lesser skills open to them reguardless of player skill. Why play for more than a month when the macro thing was reported in beta and the company did nothing about it come launch?  It showed that it was an accepted play style and that is all I needed to know about the company to walk away and never look back.

So let me get this straight, you are talking about how this game is now based on playing it for one month after release three and a half years ago... This is where all the stupid myths about the game come from. Darkfall changed a LOT since release, your view based on your limited gameplay is years out of date.

• NoxeronNoxeron Member UncommonPosts: 64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr_8qxcT7Dw

And Unholy Wars is only going to make it better?

I see no problem with this game, some of the most fun I had was exploring with my brothers, running from dragons and killing wierd monsters all over Agon.

I never really got into any good clan wars, but those few fights I was in were epic.

I will problably try DF:UW, and I have a feeling I'm going to like it.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I loved UO, so I really wanted to like Darfkall, and I played it for a while, but a few things drove me away...

1.  It took an extremely long amount of grinding to become even remotely competitive with veteran players on a pure stat-level, and this grinding was extremely repetive and costly.

2.  The ratio of gankers/griefers to normal players is extremely high, probably due to all the non FFA-PvP games on the market for non-griefers to play.

It's these 2 things (or at least DF's reputation for them)  that kept me from ever trying the origional Darkfall.

I actualy quite like PvP in FPS or turn based strategy games. Don't mind it in MMO's if it's done well (most don't)...but from what I read about the origional Darkfall...the PvP experience for newer players sounded alot more like the equivalent to being spawn camped in FPS games....decidedly not something I'm interested in.

Will be interested to hear if these impressions hold true for the new game. If so, I definately won't be trying it either....and it's NOT because I have any desire to play a Panda.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Galadourn

As you yourself said, you are describing one aspect of the game; you like the clan warfare part. That's fine and very much understood. However, others may like to collect herbs and brew potions, explore and mine rare ore to craft armor/weapons/whatnot, build a small farmhouse and cultivate the land to grow and cook food, etc. A sandbox must give these types of players the option to engage in these activities if they so wish. Not risk-free, but viably so. In its implementation, DF1 did not allow for anything else other than fighting. Let's hope DF:UW will exoand on the sandbox options.

good post, i want a good sandbox game but if this game is just constant pvp action, full loot or not, no thanks.

Originally posted by baphamet  

Originally posted by Galadourn   As you yourself said, you are describing one aspect of the game; you like the clan warfare part. That's fine and very much understood. However, others may like to collect herbs and brew potions, explore and mine rare ore to craft armor/weapons/whatnot, build a small farmhouse and cultivate the land to grow and cook food, etc. A sandbox must give these types of players the option to engage in these activities if they so wish. Not risk-free, but viably so. In its implementation, DF1 did not allow for anything else other than fighting. Let's hope DF:UW will exoand on the sandbox options.
      good post, i want a good sandbox game but if this game is just constant pvp action, full loot or not, no thanks.

Darkfall is not constant PvP, if you want to PvE or gather stuff then you can. However there is always the chance that someone might find and attack you. This can be mitigated by going off the beaten track or staying close to guard towers which offer good protection, especially at the start of the game when people do not have the resistance jewellery that helps protect from them. You can also simply run away if you do get attacked or wear cheap gear that you don't mind losing.

Bare in mind that at the start of the game everyone will be in the NPC cities, all bunched up. This means that a comparatively small number of spawns will be farmed and as such raiders will be more common. Once the playerbase has spread out to the various player holdings as the are built you will find yourself attacked less often when farming.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

... massive siege warfare where you fight 50 VS 50, 100 VS 100...

A while ago there was a site that used to report on the wars and politics of DF. Is that site still around and are there others? I'm a big fan of the big wars and politics of MMOs and would really like to follow stuff like that.  How often are the massive sieges and what is at stake in them?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by baphamet  

Originally posted by Galadourn   As you yourself said, you are describing one aspect of the game; you like the clan warfare part. That's fine and very much understood. However, others may like to collect herbs and brew potions, explore and mine rare ore to craft armor/weapons/whatnot, build a small farmhouse and cultivate the land to grow and cook food, etc. A sandbox must give these types of players the option to engage in these activities if they so wish. Not risk-free, but viably so. In its implementation, DF1 did not allow for anything else other than fighting. Let's hope DF:UW will exoand on the sandbox options.

Darkfall is not constant PvP, if you want to PvE or gather stuff then you can. However there is always the chance that someone might find and attack you. This can be mitigated by going off the beaten track or staying close to guard towers which offer good protection, especially at the start of the game when people do not have the resistance jewellery that helps protect from them. You can also simply run away if you do get attacked or wear cheap gear that you don't mind losing.

Bare in mind that at the start of the game everyone will be in the NPC cities, all bunched up. This means that a comparatively small number of spawns will be farmed and as such raiders will be more common. Once the playerbase has spread out to the various player holdings as the are built you will find yourself attacked less often when farming.

You didn't understand what Galadourn and baphamet are getting at.  Most of the efforts put into DarkFall were put into it's PvP, the rest of the features (crafting, exploring, PvE, etc) are lackluster to say the least. It's something most PvPers don't see because it's not their focus, but to other experienced players looking for a sandbox, they'll be sorely disappointed.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Galadourn

where the game feels like a game of starcraft, but from the perspective of a zealot 

and that's the problem with DF's playerbase. Don't get me wrong, I really like DF as a concept, but it's this arena mentality that's keeping it from becoming a true sandbox.

Rolf. Arena mentality.

Says the guy who came from arena pvp before posting this.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• CriticalXCriticalX Member Posts: 3

edite

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Originally posted by TdogSkalWrong, During beta and the first month of release, player skill did not mean anything at all.  A player who used Marco's had better skills open to them and could kill those with lesser skills open to them reguardless of player skill. Why play for more than a month when the macro thing was reported in beta and the company did nothing about it come launch?  It showed that it was an accepted play style and that is all I needed to know about the company to walk away and never look back.

So let me get this straight, you are talking about how this game is now based on playing it for one month after release three and a half years ago... This is where all the stupid myths about the game come from. Darkfall changed a LOT since release, your view based on your limited gameplay is years out of date.

But problem was, by time they changed things, there was no left around to actually experience it, hence all the continuing misinformation.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon