Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG development manual

Following the basic elements of a decent game,just my opinion

-Single server huge map (EVE,EU,WWIIOL)

-Good combat system (TERA,Blade & Soul)

-Sandbox elements (Archeage)

-No nerfs,no skill in-game efects changes (EVE,EU...theres nerfs,but still they are litle comparing with others)

-Monthly fee (tell me a FTP good title,no GW2,ive brought and play it i found its a crap)

-Graphics (TERA,The Otherland,Entropia Universe)

-Enforces social interaction (Entropia Universe)

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
FH1942 best tanker for 4years
Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
many other for some months

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Heinz130

To me not needed to make a good world

Extremely subjective 

Depends on what elements, but again not needed unless you go the sandbox route. There are alternatives.

-No nerfs,no skill in-game efects changes (EVE,EU...theres nerfs,but still they are litle comparing with others)

Good luck on that one. No development team will ever get balance right, ever

-Monthly fee (tell me a FTP good title,no GW2,ive brought and play it i found its a crap)

Show me a P2P title that is worth the fee. I've played a shitload and none were really worth the fee.

Extremely Subjective

Why do people think forcing anything is a good idea. All you get is an equal force to counter it

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Extremely subjective 

Depends on what elements, but again not needed unless you go the sandbox route. There are alternatives.

Show me a P2P title that is worth the fee. I've played a shitload and none were really worth the fee.

Extremely Subjective

Why do people think forcing anything is a good idea. All you get is an equal force to counter it

-Its not about make a good world,its about a enviroment where all the players of the game can meet,more places to explore,places where you can come back for diferent purposes,the feeling of being part of the whole game enviroment,not just a server.

-TERA and B&S use new good combat systems,thats just me,but,at last its better than WoW and LA basic targeting system

-Many sandbox elements has possible,sandbox gives the players many alt-gameplay possibilitys besides the old choices of instace or pvp (instanced or OW whatever) and to me its not a route,its the only path,since themepark tends more to get you bored fast plus the end game has the only main goal.personaly,i like to manage my stuff and change the gameplay of the game on my own will.

-Not needed to be a perfect balance,being it small changes its ok,has on my exemple,being it an EVE or EU rate of changes its ok

-EVE worth a fee,when i get bored i just cancel my charges and get it back when i miss the game,or,at last PTP games are way better than FTP ones,thats kinda obvious...just a note: if EVE had ground gameplay,and being it a sandbox too,i wuld never even try other games,personal opinion

-Graphics are subjective,i agree on that

-When i say enforce i mean make a enviroment that make it possible and enjoyable

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Extremely subjective 

Extremely Subjective

-Its not about make a good world,its about a enviroment where all the players of the game can meet,more places to explore,places where you can come back for diferent purposes,the feeling of being part of the whole game enviroment,not just a server.

-TERA and B&S use new good combat systems,thats just me,but,at last its better than WoW and LA basic targeting system

-Many sandbox elements has possible,sandbox gives the players many alt-gameplay possibilitys besides the old choices of instace or pvp (instanced or OW whatever) and to me its not a route,its the only path,since themepark tends more to get you bored fast plus the end game has the only main goal.personaly,i like to manage my stuff and change the gameplay of the game on my own will.

-Not needed to be a perfect balance,being it small changes its ok,has on my exemple,being it an EVE or EU rate of changes its ok

-EVE worth a fee,when i get bored i just cancel my charges and get it back when i miss the game,or,at last PTP games are way better than FTP ones,thats kinda obvious...just a note: if EVE had ground gameplay,and being it a sandbox too,i wuld never even try other games,personal opinion

-Graphics are subjective,i agree on that

-When i say enforce i mean make a enviroment that make it possible and enjoyable

Just 2 things:

No nerfing / skill changes is a bit ridiculous. If something is out of scale with the rest of skills and causing problems, it should be nerfed or other skills brought up to match.

EVE on the ground = Perpetuum Online. Very very similar to eve as far as gameplay / mechanics, except youre on the ground in mechs instead of in spaceships.

Yea,i agree there will never be a game nerfs-free,i just think they shuld take easy with that,like EU or even EVE,wich comparing with other games are rly small

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Making a list of things that would be nice to have in a game is easy... 

Raising the money to apply your idea with the necessary engine, coding  and advertising is the reason all the great ideas will only exist on paper

Yes,of course youre right,the questions are

-How compromised the companys are to theyr product,name and clients?

Look to the corean market,Archeage,Blade & Soul etc,all high quality games they are developing,the corean mmo internal market is so small still they make great games with relative low investment comparing with western titles

-Do that company want a market ruller? just like WoW was

think on how profitable that game was and still is for the blizzard...i have the answer for this,i supose they just use old games basis with just a diferent make-up and every money they get with this is a profit,in this case the fault is ours,the own clients fault

Now,its not that hard for a company to move theyr asses and get to work for a great title,look to acheage,watch the videos,read all the contents,features and the game quality in general,btw all that points i highlighted the combat system is the only big weak point,its a little diferent from the old ones,but still targeting based by what ive watching.

If the XLgames,a company many times smaller than the blizzard can fill almost all that harcore points i highlighted,imagine if the bigest companys out there resolve to do a serious job

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    It's easy to make a wishlist. Everyone has one or can come up with one, giving it 5 min thought. That wishlist will very likely also be different from one person to the next. That list is what you like most in an MMORPG. It makes you look at Arche Age as your personal dream fave MMO, because it fulfills most of the points you like most. For someone else, that'll be GW2, for yet another person PS2 and so on.

It also often skips past the negatives of an MMORPG. Hang around any game forum, especially when a game really has gone live, and you'll get to know those negatives easily enough, including the downsides of mechanics you might even favor.

But again, it's always nice to have a wishlist of the things that'd make your own personal MMO gaming time the best for you, nothing wrong with that.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

One good F2P model in a AAA title is LOTRO. Some don't like the game/lore/combat but the F2P model is very good and seems to be a win/win for players and devs.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

So if balance is hosed at launch and one class/skill set/race/whatever is severely underbalanced compared to others or one if the king of all others it should just stay that way forever just so there are no nerfs?

I actually hate the term nerf to begin with. Games fix balance. If your character/skills were too strong they were rebalanced to be in line. Sure you could say nerf but it is almost always a truly justified rebalance and should be expected.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

No offense, but how exactly is this a manual?

There's no technical information in here as to how to make a quality game. This is much more of an idealised wishlist.

It's really easy to list off a bunch of stuff that sounds nice. It's an entirely different thing to put them into practice, to have first hand knowledge of what works & what doesn't, and to battle with trying to implement features that may or may not be physically possible.

If I was designing a new MMO, I would probably look to someone who's a veteran at designing good games to find a manual. Not a random guy on a forumn.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Every pre WoW MMO.

It worked in all the pre WoW MMOs.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Every pre WoW MMO.

It worked in all the pre WoW MMOs.

Partly why MMOs weren't all that popular pre WoW. And I agree with Connmacart, there hasn't been an MMO worth a monthly fee.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

I dont consider this a wish list,those are basic elements of a serious game,its a easy task to just question yourself,you wuld like to see that on a income game or not?

-Single server huge map or Small map Multiple server?

Single server Huge map

-Good combat system  or bad combat system?

Good combat system

-Game with endgame with nothing to do after you max your char or game without endgame with alt goals?

Without endgame with alt goals

-One huge nerf and system change evey 5 months or well made system not requiring more than one small nerf every year

Well made system small nerfs and changes

-Free game or mothly fee game

(After a quick comparison) I prefer the fee ones,alltrough it wuld be great to have a AAA for free

-Bad graphs or good graphs?

Good graphs

-Good enviroment where i can make friends or Grind ground where i badly speak even with my clan mates?

I like good enviroments and friends

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys