Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so 400 square km with only up to 250 players?

TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

dont you think it's a little too little cap for players?

400 square km is like.. huge.. and i think they should maximize the cap to like 1000 each server otherwise, i would say that you would probably run the whole day in the game and not meet a single player

i hope the cap is more than what it's written.

So What Now?

Comments

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

Did you ever play DayZ?  Running into other players in that game usually meant your death... or theirs.

So not running into players is, in my opinion, more immersive for survival.  It should be a rare occurance.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85
    I agree, the less player encounters the better for immersion. 
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Let's just say that a real zombie apocalypse happened in real life.  Do you believe that there will be tons of people out and about?  Likely, the people who haven't been eaten or killed due to rioting in some places will be shacked up somewhere, few and far between.  Then some of those people will begin killing other in self-defense and survival.  After a while, you won't see many people.  Less people provides greater immersion in a game like this.  DayZ, in most cases, only provided you with 40-50 other players on a larger map.  So, for most of us who played DayZ, it's going to be a bit of a shock because there will be way more people than we are accustomed to.

If there are 250 players on a server, I think you are going to run into other people a LOT.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

ok to be honest i never played DayZ, but i do know how the gameplay is. but i can see your point here. for the immersion wise maybe its good,

--- edit -- 

nvm, i guess you are right, i thought because this was different from DayZ and is more like BF3 kind of FPS, but it turns out that the gameplay is very similar to DayZ, so point taken..

but since i never played DayZ, so i was just assuming that since this is MMO FPS, there should be more players for a single server, esp with 400 square km

So What Now?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by TweFoju

ok to be honest i never played DayZ, but i do know how the gameplay is. but i can see your point here. for the immersion wise maybe its good,

but isn't this different from DayZ? as far as i seen the gameplay ( on Youtube ) , this isnt more like a survival game, rather more like the Battlefield kind of fps?

What do you think the Z stands for in "The War Z"?

Hint: It doesn't stand for Battlefield.

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

Don't worry. I'm 100% positive their will be clans of people grouping together specifically to hunt other players down. DayZ was arguably a very big map (on foot sprinting it would take longer than an hour to reach the other end granted will dodging players and zombies in towns) and the clan I ran ALWAYS ran into other players.

I think this bigger world is good. For me, hunting other players to kill with a group will be far more enjoyable on a larger scale map. I won't go one town down and possibly hear shots to kill someone. As always though, there will be hot spots in which people speficially go to deathmatch it out.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

^

Of course. There will be a few hardcore guilds, spread about the servers that go about ganking people. They will camp the newbie spawn areas (unless they are sectioned off somehow) and giggle when they lock out a 'normal' character for 24 hours. They will positively laugh their butts off when they kill a hard core player and collect his drops.

I was intrigued by this game until i went to their forums and saw the 24 hour lockout. Hardcore? No. My life means too much to me to waste time even if I didn't think my 1st comment above wouldn't happen within hours (or at the very best days) of the game opening.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Not at all, having players everywhere makes it feel more like a death match and loses the feeling of a zombie apocylpse. Its more of a "shooter with zombies running away". If anything it could be actually bigger to provide more exploration and the ability to scavage for supplies and make encountering a player a far more intense feeling.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Yeah bit Chernarus is what 225 Square KM, and that was with a norm of 50 people per server.

A 400 Square KM map with 250 players, you are gonna do alot of bumping into ppl.

• Whiplash931Whiplash931 Member Posts: 36
    The map Colorado is 160 KM area not 400. The next map california may be that big.  I think people will run into people fairly often, its going to be interesting.
  • eury2eury2 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    yes the first map is rather small for 250 player thats like having 250 people on lingor or takistan ... its going to be all bad
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    It is just 20X20 dude. 1000 player would be real mess
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    they went with the small cap due to the fact that its the zombie apocalypse think of the walking dead he went into Alanta and we are talking about a couple 100 sq miles of city and he ran into glenn and later 3 more guys.  250 people is perfect because it will give you that filling of seclusion and the thrill of seeing another human and wondering are they friend that you can trade goods with or foe who you need to decided a fight or flight.
  • BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Caskio

Did you ever play DayZ?  Running into other players in that game usually meant your death... or theirs.

So not running into players is, in my opinion, more immersive for survival.  It should be a rare occurance.

You said it. Also to the OP believe me you will run into people every few minutes. If not you will definetly hear gunshots in the far off distance or very near you. The question is do you hide and wait in hopes of avoiding this person or do you try to hunt them down in hopes of getting thier gear? You do not want to be constantly engaged. I think it is fun not knowing when you will run into people. Sometimes you will see a person and they might leave you be and you may also feel the same. Or you will try to kill them even though they don't want anything to do with you. Oh how survival is brutal.

I loved DayZ and I cannot wait for this game. I love the fact there are going to be more people to run into. Hell even in DayZ on my server I play on even with 30-40 people I run into someone for the most part at least once every 15 to 20 mins. I can only imagine how many people one will encounter with 250 running around.

1000 people like the OP said would be too much. That would be pretty damn insane and I bet you would not get very far.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i'm not big on zombies mmos but if you are going to do it you have to do it like this. Dayz did it perfectly with their 50 players per server cap.

250 is actually quite a few players...

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Digna

^

Of course. There will be a few hardcore guilds, spread about the servers that go about ganking people. They will camp the newbie spawn areas (unless they are sectioned off somehow) and giggle when they lock out a 'normal' character for 24 hours. They will positively laugh their butts off when they kill a hard core player and collect his drops.

Well but that is just it. Picking off poeple from a large group is pretty easy I would say. Have not played War Z, but seems to me that in a game like this the small groups/solo poeple have and advantage over big groups. 

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

The first map "Colorado" will be approx 185 sqkm. I think most server caps will be set to 200.

The Alpha Colorado map is about 60sqkm and initial server populations caps are set to 50 I think.  They will be ramping it up until the 31st.

I'm actually a little concerned that running into other players will be too common.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

sure the initial cap is 30 players and they will look at adding more over the days.. up to 70-100..

Still dont like this game being called an MMO tho lol but there we go :)

as others have mentioned you dont want to be running into people all the time as you will just end up getting killed by them. There is no trust between people so they will always shoot first in fear of getting shot themselves :)

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by TweFoju

dont you think it's a little too little cap for players?

400 square km is like.. huge.. and i think they should maximize the cap to like 1000 each server otherwise, i would say that you would probably run the whole day in the game and not meet a single player

i hope the cap is more than what it's written.

Put that into a little more perspective. 400 sq. km is only 20 km per side. That is tiny if you break it down even further. With the cap at 250 players, means 1.6 people per square km IF they are all spread out. While you may have some spread out, most will concentrate on particular areas like towns/cities. Concentration will be much higher....maybe too high in those areas. So 250 players on a 400 sq. km map is not a bad thing. In fact, 250 players might be far too many. We shall see. 

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Digna

^

I was intrigued by this game until i went to their forums and saw the 24 hour lockout. Hardcore? No. My life means too much to me to waste time even if I didn't think my 1st comment above wouldn't happen within hours (or at the very best days) of the game opening.

Yes there is a lockout, for normal characters, which retain their unlocked skills and such.

You get five character slots.

Hardcore characters lose everythng, but there is no lockout.

I don't see the problem.  

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

When renting a server you'll be able to choose between a predefined number of player slots. The lowest amount of players per server is 70 and the maximum is 250.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~