Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: There's a Storm Brewin'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds and the Rift team are close to the final unveiling of the first expansion to Rift, Storm Legion. We recently had the opportunity to check out Storm Legion firsthand and have a lot to say about it. See what we've got in mind and then add your thoughts in the comments.

Our tour of Storm Legion was captained by Design Producer Hal Hanlin, Design Director Simon Ffinch, and Senior Producer Adam Gershowitz, along with several other members of the Rift team.  Storm Legion, as will be familiar to fans of the Rift story and lore, will focus on taking the fight to the dragon Crucia, who is making her move against the weakened Regulos.  The expansion's two new high-level continents, which will more than triple the land mass of vanilla Rift, are meant to reflect what the world could look like if the planes had conquered Telara over the Ascended.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Rift: There's a Storm Brewin'.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Oh jeez, storm legion and rohan so so so close together.

it's gonna be tough... storm legion looks soooo good :]

i guess for an mmorpg player it's a good dilemma to have.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Already pre-ordered, there's going to be an insane amount of things to do in SL and I cant wait!

Looking forward to checking out the new questing changes also, sounds interesting.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I'm giving wow this first month of panda release, then I'm coming back to Rift, there is to much I haven't seen yet and wish to explore before this xpac drops. Can't wait!!!
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Where the hell am i going to get the time to play this, Mop and GW2 at the same time? Oh well , bye, bye marriage
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by freston
    Where the hell am i going to get the time to play this, Mop and GW2 at the same time? Oh well , bye, bye marriage

Lol.....in all seriousness, I wish I could find time to play alot of games. This looks great, but it's almost like I have to make a gaming schedule.......just no time. Already have a backlog of single players I would like to finish.

• SonokoSonoko Member UncommonPosts: 41
    If you're like me, and have been away from the game for a while, you might be pleasantly surprised with how different Rift feels now, and delighted by small convenience features like the ability to use quest items right from your quest tracker UI.

Here's a picture from day 1 of head start, that's 2/24/2011, with an item on my quest tracker UI: http://i.imgur.com/OuOtY.jpg

Am I missing something?  Coz I don't see why you'd be delighted by this or see any reason to mention it since it's always been in game.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Well that is amazing and this could take a little part of wow subscribers from time to time. Already preordered
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´ll have to find some free time outside GW2...but i´ll most definetly going to buy this expansion at some point!

Kudos to Trion for doing such an outstanding work on Rift!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    This is one reason I love Rift.  When Trion does something it's always overdone :)  In one Expansion you get more than what most games give you in 3-4 :D
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    This is one reason I love Rift.  When Trion does something it's always overdone :)  In one Expansion you get more than what most games give you in 3-4 :D

EverQuest 2 used to be that way too!  /sigh

Echoes of Faydwer for example is one hell of a memorable expansion.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I was set on leveling through hunt rifts and instant adventures. But the new quest style sounds interesting.

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

RIFT is the first mmo where they release content so fast (and good) that I literally haven't had time to get bored in a year straight of playing :)

This xpac looks like the next year of my life is another write-off :D lol

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Entris38
    Originally posted by freston

Lol.....in all seriousness, I wish I could find time to play alot of games. This looks great, but it's almost like I have to make a gaming schedule.......just no time. Already have a backlog of single players I would like to finish.

Agree with you, I would love to have more time, but already playing to much. :-)) Now I'm enjoying pandas, but my mind many times wanders back to Gw2, would love to play also Rift ... and despite tragedy with FF IV, would like to try reborn version.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

For me its a three way split theres loads to do still in GW2 , Theres Lotros Rohan expansion around the corner and then there Rift as well .

Wish I lived on a planet with 48 hours a day and 8 days in a week.

Originally posted by roo67
    Wish I lived on a planet with 48 hours a day and 8 days in a week.

Heh, yeah but then a normal work week would be 16 hours a day, 6 days a week ;)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I really want to try storm legion but i can't bring myself to buy it because i will be doing the same stuff.

1.Questing - i really despise questing, let me have the free will to explore and grind if i wish.

2. Levelling - The min max progression system i can love no more! the system is designed so everything in between is a means to an end.

3.End game - I love to do it, but i hate lockouts. i undestand why they are there, but when it gets to; "log in once a week to raid then log back out' where's the fun in that?

Regardless, I believe Trion are doing a real good job. I believe the company will enter a "golden age" soon.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth
    I really want to try storm legion but i can't bring myself to buy it because i will be doing the same stuff.1.Questing - i really despise questing, let me have the free will to explore and grind if i wish.2. Levelling - The min max progression system i can love no more! the system is designed so everything in between is a means to an end.3.End game - I love to do it, but i hate lockouts. i undestand why they are there, but when it gets to; "log in once a week to raid then log back out' where's the fun in that?
    Regardless, I believe Trion are doing a real good job. I believe the company will enter a "golden age" soon.

I wont be doing any of that either and having a blast ;)

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Um, no.  Expansion looks to be the size of, say, Burning Crusade but a bit more feature rich.  Bigger than an average expansion?  Yeah.  3-4 times the size?  Not even close.  

Its not even remotely near the scope of Kunark, Velious, Luclin or Planes of Power.  Looks to be about Omens of War sized.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Foomerang
    I really want to try storm legion but i can't bring myself to buy it because i will be doing the same stuff.1.Questing - i really despise questing, let me have the free will to explore and grind if i wish.2. Levelling - The min max progression system i can love no more! the system is designed so everything in between is a means to an end.3.End game - I love to do it, but i hate lockouts. i undestand why they are there, but when it gets to; "log in once a week to raid then log back out' where's the fun in that?

Gona have to if you want to leave the 'starting area' :P
    Then again, Probably not starting from scratch and just looking to 'recap' :)

Seriously tho, I really want to enjoy this game as a tempest.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

I really want to try storm legion but i can't bring myself to buy it because i will be doing the same stuff.

1.Questing - i really despise questing, let me have the free will to explore and grind if i wish.

2. Levelling - The min max progression system i can love no more! the system is designed so everything in between is a means to an end.

3.End game - I love to do it, but i hate lockouts. i undestand why they are there, but when it gets to; "log in once a week to raid then log back out' where's the fun in that?

i cant play rift in its current state, but i have to agree that trion may be the future

Originally posted by Foomerang

Gona have to if you want to leave the 'starting area' :P
    Then again, Probably not starting from scratch and just looking to 'recap' :)

Seriously tho, I really want to enjoy this game as a tempest.

Hehe well to address your points,

1. I wont have to do a single quest or quest hub to progress. Ill actually get bonus xp and gear rewards just for going on a killing spree. I can also level doing rifts, invasions, and hunts.

2. With the mentor system, every area is relevant. For the past couple weeks, i have been mentored down helping my wife in the lower level zones. Im getting good xp and able to progress my planar attunement all the while.

3. Endgame for me is going to be dimensions, cooking and fishing, crafting the new hotness, mentoring, planar attunement, invasions, world bosses, hunt rifts, instant adventures and the occasional dungeon. None of which involve their tiered raiding system and is more than enough to keep me occupied. Not to mention all the events and holidays they constantly put in.

Anyway, im a fan of playing an mmo the way you want. As far as themeparks go, rift gives the most variety of play.

1.  You have this in Rift, and if thier carnage system works out you even get rewarded for grinding.  But you can level by grind if you choose, its not like mob exp is meaningless.  

2.  Dont have any clue what you are getting at here.  Levelling is a character progession phase, where you learn new abilities and gain strength.  Its a core RPG mechanic, and every game has levels of some kind even if they are disguised as skill points or something similar.

3.  If you are a die hard raider and dont want to do anything but raid then short of going back to EQ's prime you are always going to have this, in any game.  The amount of people that want to raid more than 2-3 days a week is a very, very low % of players.  I think Rift took far too long between HK and ID, but I generally dont have an issue with not having more than 2-3 nights a week of current raid content.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    While I did play Rift for a bit, though not at the moment, I am still extremely impressed with Trion as a developer and their game...they know where it's at and they know what the players are looking for.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Originally posted by FelixMajor
     and they know what the players are looking for.

If they knew this they would have more than the 200kish subscribers they currently have.  

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by FelixMajor  and they know what the players are looking for.
    If they knew this they would have more than the 200kish subscribers they currently have.  

should change it to they know what their players are looking for.