Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion spoiled me with its patching and up keep of Rift.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

this thread wasn't originally in the Rift forums believe it got moved here.. :)

Oh thank God, I thought I was seeing things... it was originally posted in the GW2 forums for some reason.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

There have been way more than 5 patches. Some were small hotfixes, some were major patches that fixed multiple broken De's and other features. They released several small patches when the trading post was having a fit with the server loads. They released patches to increase server capacity as well as WvW capacity. More than 5 patches i can assure you.

At release I think every time i logged in there was some small patch to download.

Just sayin'...

agree - can see all the GW2 patch builds here

http://gw2status.com/version_history

both Trion and ANET do decent patching

You are confusing hot fixes with patching. And where are the patch notes? if you want proper patching information check GW2 forums. They have 5 updates there which are actually worth mentoning. Now comapre that to patches Trion released in first month and pay attention to detailed notes. You will see the difference.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i think the reason why rift is having a hard time is that it has to compete with WoW for the same pool of players (gear progression, tiered dungeon/raid type of players). I remember really enjoying Rift a lot for the first few months of its release but later couldnt keep up the time commitment of being the best warrior in my guild and having to raid all the time to make sure i get the first pickings of raid drops. its sad really to see that these forums arent as active as i thought they would be for such a good game and such diligent developers. i realize that i do kinda wish wow would die, they really do squander their playerbase (so many players yet they dont give them the updates or care that other game companies would). i feel like wow only gives updates on a need basis. They will only update when they see a new competitor coming-nothing revolutionary, just the minimum to keep people from leaving.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by SaunZ

Rift had excellent launch and has excellent support.  i never had any problems in Rift and yet it's pop is low? i wonder why peepz didn't stick with it?

sz

Because it was boring. Also for how "quick" they were they left rogue highly underbalanced for the whole first month and the first time they did anything.... they nerfed the only tree for Rogue that could actually kill in PvP. That was a big killer for me, major imbalance like that needs to be fixed immediately (and in fact should not have shipped like that, they knew rogues launched as awful in PvP).

So combine that balance with how boring it was and I was out of there. Never looked back. One of the amazing parts was how bad the PvP grind was. You had to play an insane number of hours in PvP to get 1 piece of top tier gear. So by the time you grinding out all of the gear... you were sick of the PvP maps and didn't want to go PvP!!!! And of course my biggest killer of MMO PvP, crowd control, it was disgusting how much crowd control there was in the game and it is never fun to be constantly stunned, rooted, slowed, knocked back, etc etc etc.

The PvE was less than spectacular too so in the end I just couldn't find a reason to log in.

They were a good example of patching in fixes to certain things quickly. They also added small bits of content at a decent pace but that was something Asheron's Call started a decade earlier with monthly content patches.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Trion is absolutely the best mmo dev in the industry. Think about what they have changed and added to rift in the past 18 months and what they are bringing with the expansion next month and there is no other mmo dev thst comes close.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Rift launched with a downright microscopic world (easily the smallest of any MMO I've ever played), few dungeons (which had to serve both leveling and endgame duty and were buggy as hell), and one raid (also buggy as hell).

If Trion hadn't patched like mad they wouldn't even have whatever small percentage of the population that is left.

Honestly, if they'd spent a bit more time building the game world before launch and less time figuring they could just patch it in later the game would have a lot bigger percentage of its launch population still hanging around and paying a sub. Given that, I find it hard to give them props for what amounts to a bad plan, if perhaps a decent execution.

Originally posted by Myria
    Rift launched with a downright microscopic world (easily the smallest of any MMO I've ever played), few dungeons (which had to serve both leveling and endgame duty and were buggy as hell), and one raid (also buggy as hell).If Trion hadn't patched like mad they wouldn't even have whatever small percentage of the population that is left.Honestly, if they'd spent a bit more time building the game world before launch and less time figuring they could just patch it in later the game would have a lot bigger percentage of its launch population still hanging around and paying a sub. Given that, I find it hard to give them props for what amounts to a bad plan, if perhaps a decent execution.

I can see where youre coming from. But what i think a lot of people forget is they are an indie dev and started rift small. They have taken their profits and reinvested into the game. I think the fact that we hold an indie dev to aaa dev standards is testament to their quality. They have relentlessly added and expanded on rift as well as an expansion that not only adds player housing, but literally triples the land mass as well as implementing new dynamic content and systems.

What i like most about trion is that they arent afraid to change their game. They listen to player feedback and take the time to communicate.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Rift held my attention less than 2 weeks. Very boring, linear game design, only one starter area, only one way to max level, no choice, small cramped world, and the ugly , annoying and generic rifts and invasions.

GW2 is still holding my attention after over a month. GW2 wins, easily, without breaking a sweat.

Hell, even SW:TOR held my attention for approx. 5 months and beats Rift. At least SW:TOR had a story, something to experience. Rift has nothing, it's bland, dead, boring as hell.

But to each his own... I just wish the Rift players would post on the Rift forums though.

Why would we bother posting on here? We are too busy playing and enjoying Rift.

You're right, each to his own. The fact you didn't enjoy Rift and think SWToR was better tells me everything I need to know about you as a player.

I'm intrigued as to why you'd even bother posting on a forum for a game you only played for two weeks? Seems very odd.

Someone earlier was asking for reasons as to why Rift's population isn't that strong.  And a lot of what this poster said is an opinion shared by many (small cramped world, boring/generic feel, linear zone progression, only one starting area).  Definitely a bit of exaggeration going on, but most of his general points are fair.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Myria
    Rift launched with a downright microscopic world (easily the smallest of any MMO I've ever played), few dungeons (which had to serve both leveling and endgame duty and were buggy as hell), and one raid (also buggy as hell).

If Trion hadn't patched like mad they wouldn't even have whatever small percentage of the population that is left.

Honestly, if they'd spent a bit more time building the game world before launch and less time figuring they could just patch it in later the game would have a lot bigger percentage of its launch population still hanging around and paying a sub. Given that, I find it hard to give them props for what amounts to a bad plan, if perhaps a decent execution.

I can see where youre coming from. But what i think a lot of people forget is they are an indie dev and started rift small. 

NO, you are dead wrong.  Trion was not an indie dev.  They are a big name company in the industy with HUGE funding.   Getting 100M to play with off the bat isnt indie.  And while the development of Rift may have been 50M, they had the extra 50M to play with to buy the servers and advertise the shit out of Rift (as well as start work on their other projects).  Just because a company is new doesnt make them indie.  

So no, Rift didnt start small.  It ddn't start huge either, but games like TERA had smaller budgets and even though things are obviously costlier now, Rift's budget was twce that of EQ2.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    actually, the other 50 mill went to EoN and defiance, so rift started with just 50 mill, which compared to other similar mmos is a tiny budget for what they delivered.
    Originally posted by Alyvian
    actually, the other 50 mill went to EoN and defiance, so rift started with just 50 mill, which compared to other similar mmos is a tiny budget for what they delivered.

How do you know this?  You have access to Trion's books?

And again, 50 mil is a bigger budget than TERA, and twice EQ2s budget.  AoC's development costs were 40-50 mill.   50 mill isnt tiny.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

And again, 50 mil is a bigger budget than TERA, and twice EQ2s budget.  AoC's development costs were 40-50 mill.   50 mill isnt tiny.

The cost does not matter.

The fact is they did deliver a really great MMO.

To x3 the world size with the first expantion, this is truly EPIC, no other MMO has done that to there game in one ex-pack,

even if they have the mone to do so (I'm looking at you Blizz).

Most devs would not delever there quality of MMO if they had that much to spend.

Originally posted by Arkain

To x3 the world size with the first expantion, this is truly EPIC, no other MMO has done that to there game in one ex-pack,

Most devs would not delever there quality of MMO if they had that much to spend.

EQ has about a half dozen expansions eaisly bigger than Storm Legion, which does *not* triple the size of Telara.  It maybe doubles it.  But no way, shape or form does it triple it.  But I expected this, and new it was just PR hype.  Theyve done a good job with the expansion though, but the triple thing is an outright lie.

Id be curious to compare the size with Northrend, My guess is they are pretty similar in size, maybe the Rift expansion is slightly bigger but not by a lot.  the housing is really, really well done as are the soul tree revamps.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Myria Rift launched with a downright microscopic world (easily the smallest of any MMO I've ever played), few dungeons (which had to serve both leveling and endgame duty and were buggy as hell), and one raid (also buggy as hell).   If Trion hadn't patched like mad they wouldn't even have whatever small percentage of the population that is left. Honestly, if they'd spent a bit more time building the game world before launch and less time figuring they could just patch it in later the game would have a lot bigger percentage of its launch population still hanging around and paying a sub. Given that, I find it hard to give them props for what amounts to a bad plan, if perhaps a decent execution.
      I can see where youre coming from. But what i think a lot of people forget is they are an indie dev and started rift small. 
    NO, you are dead wrong.  Trion was not an indie dev.  They are a big name company in the industy with HUGE funding.   Getting 100M to play with off the bat isnt indie.  And while the development of Rift may have been 50M, they had the extra 50M to play with to buy the servers and advertise the shit out of Rift (as well as start work on their other projects).  Just because a company is new doesnt make them indie.  

So no, Rift didnt start small.  It ddn't start huge either, but games like TERA had smaller budgets and even though things are obviously costlier now, Rift's budget was twce that of EQ2.

Indie means independent. It doesnt mean tiny company with a pitiful budget and a kickstarter with some obscure super niche idea. Trion is independent. They raised their capital, published and marketed their own game made from scratch and paid back their investors. Its textbook indie. Maybe that rubs you the wrong way, who knows. Doesnt change the fact that trion is an indie dev.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Madamefate
    I don't think we will ever see a company that burns the midnight oil like Trion. I personally think Rift is number 2 behind GW and wow is third.

Guild wars 2 is trash u don't even need to play teh game at all and you get take part in the whole point of the game which is pvp your boosted to 80 and get all your skills. Tired of seeing guild wars 2 is a good game it is trash and didn't live up to the hype. There is no put to lvling your character at all in guild was 2 the only good endgame is and will be pvp and you dont need to lvl for that. Stop lying to people tell the truth fanboys.

Rift is awesome and so is wow but never put guild wars 2 in the top 50 of anymore of your top mmos anymore shows how much of a moron you are.

KKK THANKS.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Asheron's Call still trumps all of them combined

EQ has about a half dozen expansions eaisly bigger than Storm Legion, which does *not* triple the size of Telara.  It maybe doubles it.  But no way, shape or form does it triple it.  But I expected this, and new it was just PR hype.  Theyve done a good job with the expansion though, but the triple thing is an outright lie.

Id be curious to compare the size with Northrend, My guess is they are pretty similar in size, maybe the Rift expansion is slightly bigger but not by a lot.  the housing is really, really well done as are the soul tree revamps.

Yes 10 ex-packs "BUT it DID NOT x3 the size of EQ's game world in THE FIRST EX-PACK", please read and then try to understand what you read. image

Yes it does, need a link (the google is weak with this one): http://stormlegion.riftgame.com/en/

I love when some one never even looks at the site and thinks they know the game lol.

This is from the site:

"A VAST NEW WORLD

Adventure across two huge new continents that more than triple the size of the existing world

Experience epic stories that reveal the true power in Telara ... and the gateway to the planes

Make your move to the island city of Tempest Bay, a new stronghold for both Guardians and Defiant"

Link the prof please, other wise it would look as if you are lying, but I know you would never do that, would you? image

Really am dyslectic and I understood it, 

So you are incorrect on both of your assumption, but I have helped you.

Now you know, and knowing is hafe the battle! image

Originally posted by Myria Rift launched with a downright microscopic world (easily the smallest of any MMO I've ever played), few dungeons (which had to serve both leveling and endgame duty and were buggy as hell), and one raid (also buggy as hell).   If Trion hadn't patched like mad they wouldn't even have whatever small percentage of the population that is left. Honestly, if they'd spent a bit more time building the game world before launch and less time figuring they could just patch it in later the game would have a lot bigger percentage of its launch population still hanging around and paying a sub. Given that, I find it hard to give them props for what amounts to a bad plan, if perhaps a decent execution.

Indie means independent. It doesnt mean tiny company with a pitiful budget and a kickstarter with some obscure super niche idea. Trion is independent. They raised their capital, published and marketed their own game made from scratch and paid back their investors. Its textbook indie. Maybe that rubs you the wrong way, who knows. Doesnt change the fact that trion is an indie dev.

This is right.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I will admit that they are really active with the content and the game did have a pretty stellar launch. To bad the gameplay was so boring that I unsubbed 2 weeks in. Felt worse than the same ole with soo many pointless abilities and quest hubs. As someone who actually enjoys the leveling process and not just getting to the max level content, the game fell terribly short due to the lack of maps and paths to level through. Glad to hear they still have some people they can please but for a sub fee they didn't deliver anything near a worthy product. This has all been my opinion and I calim it as nothing more.

/Edit.... I just read through some of the other opinions and I see I am not alone on the time it took to realize how shallow the game was and it wasn't just me.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Yes 10 ex-packs "BUT it DID NOT x3 the size of EQ's game world in THE FIRST EX-PACK", please read and then try to understand what you read. image

Yes it does, need a link (the google is weak with this one): http://stormlegion.riftgame.com/en/

I love when some one never even looks at the site and thinks they know the game lol.

This is from the site:

"A VAST NEW WORLD

Adventure across two huge new continents that more than triple the size of the existing world

Experience epic stories that reveal the true power in Telara ... and the gateway to the planes

Make your move to the island city of Tempest Bay, a new stronghold for both Guardians and Defiant"

Link the prof please, other wise it would look as if you are lying, but I know you would never do that, would you? image

Um, you are basing everything on a press release.  Lets just say I am not basing it on a press release, even that is pushing what I am allowed to say.

And EQ's first 3 or 4 expansions may not have tripled Norrath, but they would have quintupled Telara. 

Originally posted by FlawSGI

I will admit that they are really active with the content and the game did have a pretty stellar launch. To bad the gameplay was so boring that I unsubbed 2 weeks in. Felt worse than the same ole with soo many pointless abilities and quest hubs. As someone who actually enjoys the leveling process and not just getting to the max level content, the game fell terribly short due to the lack of maps and paths to level through. Glad to hear they still have some people they can please but for a sub fee they didn't deliver anything near a worthy product. This has all been my opinion and I calim it as nothing more.

/Edit.... I just read through some of the other opinions and I see I am not alone on the time it took to realize how shallow the game was and it wasn't just me.

It is ok you feel that way, no game is good enugh for everyone, thats why there are sooooo meny out there. 

I hope you fine your game. image

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Yeah, I'm currently trying to decide between buying Storm Legion, buying Mists of Pandaria, or returning to SW:TOR this holiday season.  Kinda leaning more toward Storm Legion at the moment.   While something about Rift always turns me away from the game after awhile, Storm Legion seems to have a much more robust feature-set than the other two.  I've already played SW:TOR through levels 1-50 and all T1 raids.  The only new content would be additional raids and whatever they've added since last summer.  In WoW, Pandaria would be all new, but again, Pandaria doesn't seem like it has as many unique features as Storm Legion.

Originally posted by Myria Rift launched with a downright microscopic world (easily the smallest of any MMO I've ever played), few dungeons (which had to serve both leveling and endgame duty and were buggy as hell), and one raid (also buggy as hell).   If Trion hadn't patched like mad they wouldn't even have whatever small percentage of the population that is left. Honestly, if they'd spent a bit more time building the game world before launch and less time figuring they could just patch it in later the game would have a lot bigger percentage of its launch population still hanging around and paying a sub. Given that, I find it hard to give them props for what amounts to a bad plan, if perhaps a decent execution.

This is right.

Okay, technically this is right, but I have never heard of someone refer to a company like Trion or Sigil as indie companies.  Where the original post was dead wrong, is about Trion starting small.  They did not in any way, shape or form start small.  The company was founded by the VP of EA and executive producer of NC Soft.  Their progammers were mostly industry veterans.  Rift was formed with more talent than probably any other MMORPG out there.  Given the pedigree of the company, finding finanical backing wasnt difficult and they certainly had plenty of ties and connections where needed.

As opposed to a company like CCP

joke question:  would SoE be considered indie now?  Because they sure as shit dont get any support from Sony.  Joking aside, they probably would be better off apart from Sony.

Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Yeah, I'm currently trying to decide between buying Storm Legion, buying Mists of Pandaria, or returning to SW:TOR this holiday season.  Kinda leaning more toward Storm Legion at the moment.   While something about Rift always turns me away from the game after awhile, Storm Legion seems to have a much more robust feature-set than the other two.  I've already played SW:TOR through levels 1-50 and all T1 raids.  The only new content would be additional raids and whatever they've added since last summer.  In WoW, Pandaria would be all new, but again, Pandaria doesn't seem like it has as many unique features as Storm Legion.

Buy MoP, get your $40 worth playing the new content, then go on to SL if WoW isnt holding you.  MoP has certainly added more features to WoW than any other WoW xpac, but that doesnt mean they are stuff that everyone will appreciate.

This is from the site:

"A VAST NEW WORLD

Um, you are basing everything on a press release.  Lets just say I am not basing it on a press release, even that is pushing what I am allowed to say.

And EQ's first 3 or 4 expansions may not have tripled Norrath, but they would have quintupled Telara. 

Ones again...link please (you do have one right).image

With EQ, so what you are saying, is I was right, they did not x3 the size of their world.

thank you for admitting that, 

you see it does not matter what they did in comparison to other worlds, only in comparison to their world.

You see, you cannot take you character out of one MMORPG to another MMORPG, you can only remake them, and even then....they will never be the same.

(And just so you know, I did play EQ up to planes of power and SOE did lie from day one even on the box, but Trion has not so I have no reason to assume they will even on your upstanding word).image