Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 hold its own competing with MOP?

Comments

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    They don't compete, they appeal to different audiences

Wow is primarily a game for people that like collecting shiny things

Gw2 isn't

Like hell they don't.

Also, personal anecdote; I'm the only one I know personally who ever cared about shiny things in WoW, and even then it was only about mounts/transmog items.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Given that GW2 has no monthly subscription there is no competition. Play both if that's what you want to do, or not.

I know several people who are currently levelling in WoW but also play GW2. Some are playing WoW more, others are not so impressed with MoP and are spending more time in GW2, but they still play both.

This idea that the two games are competing is stupid when you can easily play them both.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh
    Originally posted by krakra70

All you need to do is look at the Xfire numbers. GW2 has already lost about half its population even before MoP was released. 

Combine that with the fact that MoP is WoW's best expansion and you get your answer.

Becasue Xfire is awesomesauce

Because your opinion is a fact!

i knew it!

According to all the drooling fan boys, Xfire is definitive and absolute proof of a games success....but only when it shows what they want to see. When the Xfire numbers show GW2 is tanking and that people are getting bored of it even more quickly than they got bored of SWTOR then Xfire is apparently arbitrary and meaningless :)

Gotta love the bent up logic of fan boys lolz...

Driz

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Meh, Xfire is very fluctuant and not really precise, but back to the real topic..

i feel as both games will succeed since atm i dont think they are competing..

people who like gw2, play gw2.. people who like wow, play wow. Both have succes in their own community groups.  2 games, 2 styles, 2 different kinds of community.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

They're not competing.

What's the main things in wow - raiding and loot progression. - gw2 has neither

What's the main things in gw2 - large scale persistent pvp, large scale outdoor pve - wow has neither

They are games for different types of players.

Rift competes with wow though.

And planetside 2 will compete with gw2 in the pvp aspect.

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

Errr...excuse me but this guy disagrees with you :b

Driz

Originally posted by Telil

Im pretty  sure that GW2 is not meant to compete against traditional MMORPG's.

GW2 feels more of a second game to take a break from my main. Not that i have a main at the moment. i tend to find myself playing for a couple of days and having a great time and then finding myself turning it of for  week. GW2 is a fun game but for me i am finding that i  mirror in games my real life characteristics. In real life i am more practical than vane and in MMORPG's i have changed over the years to be the same.

I find myself buying an expensive coat that is made from goretex and has excellent propertys for mountain walking.

In GW2 it is all about being vane and getting that great looking skin so people can see you beat Xboss.

i had this worry that without practical gear grind i would tire of the game, and although i am still enjoying it and playing very casually, i have to admit without the lure of that better weapon/armour that will allow me to beat that mob i am struggling with.....i am tiring :(

GW2 is a very simple game to get into. very casual friendly and lots of fun. but it.s not and i dont think was ever intended to be a long term game.

This guy seems pretty sure GW2 is definitely meant to compete with traditional MMORPGs...

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

Driz

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why does wanting to be the biggest mean they are going for the same players as wow?

Swtor, rift, lotro, Aoc, eq2 etc.. tried that, had a lot of success huh?

Arenanet are smart, they've made a game for people that don't like wow.
  • NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Why does wanting to be the biggest mean they are going for the same players as wow?

Swtor, rift, lotro, Aoc, eq2 etc.. tried that, had a lot of success huh?

Arenanet are smart, they've made a game for people that don't like wow.

Every single person I know who plays GW2, played WoW extensively. Every one. If that was Anet's goal, the screwed the pooch, because there are only so many people who will play an MMO. You *never* deny yourself a market share intentionally, unless you are a complete idiot. Don't fool yourself, they want WoW players. They want them in droves--their success depends on it.

I didn't, last time I played it was 7 years a go, played for around 6 months.

I get very bored with raiding games.

What you say doesn't make sense, take a game like eve, that's not going for the same players as wow. Do you expect swtor to still be making a profit (well make one full stop) in ten years time, do you even think it will be running?

Now they will get some wow players, those that are playing it as a stop gap but don't really love it, like say someone who mostly plays for lwg. But they are not going for Wows core audience, because, big bloody clue here. GW2 DOES NOT AND NEVER WILL HAVE RAIDS

What you say doesn't make sense, take a game like eve, that's not going for the same players as wow. Do you expect swtor to still be making a profit (well make one full stop) in ten years time, do you even think it will be running?

Now they will get some wow players, those that are playing it as a stop gap but don't really love it, like say someone who mostly plays for lwg. But they are not going for Wows core audience, because, big bloody clue here. GW2 DOES NOT AND NEVER WILL HAVE RAIDS

Certainly sounds like they are going for WoWs core audience to me....

Driz

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

GW2 has all kinds of raids.

the difference, and its a big digfference, is that all GW2's raids are outside where anyone can participate.

look at the attack on arah/promenade to the dungeon Arah. You have to work your way to kill the giant, then the eye, then the wizard and you get a big chest for your efforts.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh
    Originally posted by krakra70

All you need to do is look at the Xfire numbers. GW2 has already lost about half its population even before MoP was released. 

Combine that with the fact that MoP is WoW's best expansion and you get your answer.

Becasue Xfire is awesomesauce

Because your opinion is a fact!

i knew it!

Not to add fuel to the fire but Xfire is just a tool.    It may not be used by all MMO players but obvious it is used by quite a few,  it may not provide an accurate total population count but it can be used for trending.

A 50% increase or decrease in Xfire reported population on a game is  a significant change and it would be ignorant to claim the trend means nothing as you jump through logical hoops trying to marginalize Xfire or the people that use it.

GW2 is a fine game, it isn't everyone's cup of tea.   The staunch defenders claim we shouldn't except it to be challenging like old school MMOs or to have the investment of gear progression and RAIDs, they counter complaints with "this game isn't for you" and yet when anyone talks about it's declining population or lack of dominance in the MMO genre the very same defenders jump into action claiming the easy mode "niche" game is something enjoyed by everybody and to say otherwise is heresy.

Rungard:

Not raids as in how the modern player sees raids.

But yeah them big boss DEs are kinda like daoc raids, but its just the terminology. E.g. daoc battlegrounds aren't what most people think of with battlegrounds - instanced / timed / fixed sides
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Driz

when WOW outsold Everquest (the past #1 mmo for US/EU)

WOW appealed to an audience outside of Everquest players

GW2 is trying to do the same thing

- appealing to gamers that usually dont like mmorpgs  (as said in the manifesto)

Originally posted by Nadia

Driz

- appealing to gamers that usually dont like mmorpgs  (as said in the manifesto)

Irrelevant.

The message from Anet's founder is very clear. They were shooting for the mooon and the intention was to knock WoW off it's purch and for GW2 to become the new top dog in the MMORPG genre.

GW2 fanboys have spent years trolling other games forum's telling everyone how GW2 was going to redefine the MMORPG landscape and would be the one game to rule them all....even WoW.

And what did we actually get in the end? A by the numbers, textbook themepark full of industry standard quests and mechanics albeit with most of the complexity and depth removed. Pretty badly done cut scenes, minimal VO, no end game and a boring levelling curve. The only thing that is what the fan boys said it would be is the graphics.....

So with the way that the Xfire numbers are tanking so quickly and the fact that people are bored of GW2 even more quickly than they got bored of SWTOR.....I have to ask.....did Anet succeed in their mission in beating WoW and becoming number 1?

Driz 

Irrelevant.

The message from Anet's founder is very clear. They were shooting for the mooon and the intention was to knock WoW off it's purch and for GW2 to become the new top dog in the MMORPG genre.

So with the way that the Xfire numbers are tanking so quickly and the fact that people are bored of GW2 even more quickly than they got bored of SWTOR.....I have to ask.....did Anet succeed in their mission in beating WoW and becoming number 1?

Driz 

its not irrelevant to mention that GW2 also seeks a greater audience outside of WOW

i'll go by ncsoft financial reports for how well GW2 continues to sell - not Xfire

edit:

according to Xfire, WOW has less active players than back during Aug 14

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366495

does that make Bizzards announcement that WOW has increased to 10 million active subs false?

which are you going to believe?  Xfire or Blizzard?

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    I think a lot of people will end up playing both.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Driz

Irrelevant.

What a coincidence, it's my new sig :p I'll see how I like it as a sig, as time goes on.

GW2 fanboys have spent years trolling other games forum's telling everyone how GW2 was going to redefine the MMORPG landscape and would be the one game to rule them all....even WoW.

Gaming sites, YouTube but yes, mainly other game forums. It's entertaining watching them in full defense mode: "Whaaat? Me??? I'm an innocent butterfly. I've done nothing wrong on the forums. I haven't been holier-than-thou against other posters. I haven't been blocking other users because my delicate sensibilities have been offended, and letting them know their asses have been blocked. Nope, not poor, little, innocent me."

And what did we actually get in the end? A by the numbers, textbook themepark full of industry standard quests and mechanics albeit with most of the complexity and depth removed. Pretty badly done cut scenes, minimal VO, no end game and a boring levelling curve. The only thing that is what the fan boys said it would be is the graphics.....

If you don't want anyone to jump you, try using 'fanboys' a bit less or not at all ;-) Just saying.

About the depth part... "Colin Johanson, who leads the development team that is responsible for building the content for Guild Wars 2, believes one of the keys to the game’s success after launch will be the depth of choice for game players."

Driz 

But but Xfire isn't a valid trend meter anymore :- It was only valid when it was on top.

http://beta.xfire.com/games

its not irrelevant to mention that GW2 also seeks a greater audience outside of WOW

i'll go by ncsoft financial reports for how well GW2 continues to sell - not Xfire

edit:

does that make Bizzards announcement that WOW has increased to 10 million active subs false?

lol...WoW has never had 10 million active 'subs'.....

WoW has had around 3-4million active 'subs' in NA/EU and the other 6-7 million players [mod edit] pay by the minute to play. But you already know that right?

Whatever, each to their own, I was simply pointing out that this game to redefine the genre was nothing more than a great marketing job done on a really mediocre themepark MMO that borrows everything from other games and innovates nothing of its own. It's boring and this is more than evidenced by the sharp decline in players. Spin it how you want.

It still doesnt detract from the fact that Anet made their intentions clear, that GW2 was going to topple WoW and in that goal specifically, the game failed hard.

Driz

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    All i know is after quitting for 4 months i now have a level 86 monk...lol no matter how hard i try to quit WoW i always go back...

It still doesnt detract from the fact that Anet made their intentions clear, that GW2 was going to topple WoW and in that goal specifically, the game failed hard.

Driz

the goal takes time - ANET never said GW2 is going to skyrocket past WOW on launch

when WOW launched, Blizzard had less than 1 million subs for 4 months

took Blizzard over 3 years to reach 10 million

you are labeling GW2 as failing its goal when its barely over a month old

WoW has had around 3-4million active 'subs' in NA/EU and the other 6-7 million players are made up of chinese gold farmers who do not have an active 'sub' but instead pay by the minute to play. But you already know that right?

Blizzard counts anyone who pays as a sub

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=7473409

World of Warcraft’s Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

edit:

use a different label if you want, "paying" WOW players

but doesnt change the fact that Xfire #s conflict with Blizzards recent statement that they gained 1 million active players

as Ive said before, my trust is in quarterly financial reports -- not xfire

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

WoW attracted the masses wich are now scattered between many diffrent mmo's

GW2 took a fair chunk of WoW players as many applicants to our guild had a history with WoW even in Cataclysm.

It seems people can play both and they can excist alongside each other, but MoP showed things are drasticly going the wrong way.

Cataclysm had over 4 million people from EU / USA within a month.
    MoP has around 2.7 million people from EU / USA within a week.

It seems WoW has more trouble then GW2 for the time being when comparing pure numbers of sales.

We can act as fanboys and haters and act like our nose bleeds and slap on many one liners and xfire arguments, but sales are sales and those numbers are true as they are official.

At this moment EU/USA bases players are making up around 30% of WoW total playerbase and 70% are Asian players.
    While GW2 still needs to be sold in that market and already climbing to 3 million box sales.

its safe to say GW2 is holding its own quite well and many people would have tought otherwise when MoP was released.
    A quick glimpse on GW2 servers shows many on FUll and many on High with only a few servers on medium.

Thats quite impressive if you ask me specialy when you think alot of players are from WoW.

We can say Arenanet did a very good job even tough they have a few hickups with WvW / fps drops / trading post down for a week.

The future looks bright for Arenanet :)
    Blizzard needs to focus on more contend on short time periods like they promised their players 2 years ago.
    Many people are frustrated to pay 13 euro a month without seeing a contend update for many many months in a row (10 months in Cataclysm without contend)

Once Blizzard push out more contend for their players they should regain more subs i think.

Time will tell what happens for both Anet + Blizzard :)
    One thing is sure, more competitiion is better for both players as Anet and BLizzard needs to attract as many players as they can to boost their numbers :)
    Qaulity improvement is never bad :) !!!

Originally posted by Mothanos

Time will tell what happens for both Anet + Blizzard :)
    One thing is sure, more competitiion is better for both players as Anet and BLizzard needs to attract as many players as they can to boost their numbers :)
    Qaulity improvement is never bad :) !!!

in full agreement :)

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

edit:

WoW has had around 3-4million active 'subs' in NA/EU and the other 6-7 million players are made up of chinese gold farmers who do not have an active 'sub' but instead pay by the minute to play. But you already know that right?

Whatever, each to their own, I was simply pointing out that this game to redefine the genre was nothing more than a great marketing job done on a really mediocre themepark MMO that borrows everything from other games and innovates nothing of its own. It's boring and this is more than evidenced by the sharp decline in players. Spin it how you want.

Driz

Everyone playing in the east is not a chinese gold farmer, just like every person in the west is not a fat american living in moms basement.