Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying for the first time, got some questions;

StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

Typical rehashed questions but I tend to be lazy when it comes to sifting through 6+ month old posts to find the answers I want so if anyone out there could be kind enough to help a brother out I'd appreciate it!

1. I've heard of all western MMOs Aion is the "grindiest" now that in itself isn't what bothers me (I mean I capped a few characters in vanilla EQ, I know what real grind is) I'm just curious as to what kind of time frame I'm going to be looking at starting a brand new character to hit cap - again I'm in no hurry I'm just curious.

2. Population vs. Class choice - Is it a viable option to pick a more group orientated class as my choice or do you think I would be better off playing a solo friendly class. And if so which classes are the easiest in which to do that.

3.  Do you have any recomendations for a new player as far as crafting proffesions go? 

4. Is there a specific high population server I should be aiming to pick or any dead ones to avoid?

5. Finally - is there any other tips anyone could give me, any advice, that would make my experience more enjoyable?

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply!

Comments

• jimbiojimbio Member Posts: 11

1. well yeah it can be kinda grindy but they have made it much easier to lvl in the last patches. with 3.5 its going to be even easier. i would say u can hit the max level in a month (or a few days  longer).

2. as usual tanks and healers are the best classes to get groups easily. since the templar is harder to level (less dmg in soloing) there is always some kind of a lack of tanks for instances. but playing solo-friendly classes is always good in games which are older. in low level areas you wont find a lot of people to group with. best classes for that are cleric, chanter, sorcerer and spirit master. a gladiator and ranger are ok too.

3. depends on what class u will play. the first profession for mana-oriented classes like healers and mages is alchemie. u will save alot of money with that. melees can also do alchemie but cooking would be op too. second one is one of the gear-professions. there you can decide on your own which one is most usefull for you.

4. a new player should start on the new server (kahrun in na, anuhart in eu). the population there is good too.

5. try to find a legion. actually every mmo is kinda easier with a legion/guild. but from my experience aion is for new players kinda weird. and try to use the mentorsystem. it will make it much easier to level.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Well, I am trying it now (currently lvl14) and so far it seems ok.  The lvl20 chat restrictions are killing me because I don't no anyone in game and haven't chat'd with anyone yet (keep in mind this is an mmo...lol). 

Attempted to Wisp many folk with either zero or limited responce so I beleive Aion is either vary low on the cummunity aspect or most the toons I see  are bots.

Starting to loss interest.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279
    The chat restrictions are to prevent gold seller spam, when you join a guild or legion you should have plenty to talk to.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    I have been trying to work out what a low level player gets for the Gold Pack sub. Mostly just chat channels. I can't see much reason to sub until mid levels which seems odd.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Its a great time to play AIon, less gold selling action, truly FTP.

Atm Plate classes are strong and getting stronger, Sorcs were king but rumors from Korea indicate plate is Beastly in 4.0!

The Gladiator class is a great starting class and one of my fav MMO classes, a plate tank with tons of AOE damage!

Fun to play and everyone loves them in groups (2 or more glads are nicknamed a "meatgrinder" for there awesome AOE potential!)

Kahrun server is new and a great place to start, may I suggest the Asmodian faction!

Breakdown==>  

Class :Gladiator

Server: Kahrun

Faction: Asmodian (Both are fun though)

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by jimbio
    1. well yeah it can be kinda grindy but they have made it much easier to lvl in the last patches. with 3.5 its going to be even easier. i would say u can hit the max level in a month (or a few days  longer).
    When you say that leveling takes about a month to get to max level is that including the +100% experience from the Fast Track server?
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    I stoped to play since GW2 hits shops, but i start to miss it , best world pvp played in any mmo (well and its not a perfect pvp, but at least was fun in rifts - twink or along baularea), and gear for pvp started to be easy to aquire by arenas gear.
  • doodler222doodler222 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Stormakov

Typical rehashed questions but I tend to be lazy when it comes to sifting through 6+ month old posts to find the answers I want so if anyone out there could be kind enough to help a brother out I'd appreciate it!

1. I've heard of all western MMOs Aion is the "grindiest" now that in itself isn't what bothers me (I mean I capped a few characters in vanilla EQ, I know what real grind is) I'm just curious as to what kind of time frame I'm going to be looking at starting a brand new character to hit cap - again I'm in no hurry I'm just curious.

2. Population vs. Class choice - Is it a viable option to pick a more group orientated class as my choice or do you think I would be better off playing a solo friendly class. And if so which classes are the easiest in which to do that.

3.  Do you have any recomendations for a new player as far as crafting proffesions go? 

4. Is there a specific high population server I should be aiming to pick or any dead ones to avoid?

5. Finally - is there any other tips anyone could give me, any advice, that would make my experience more enjoyable?

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply!

I've played since it came out in 2009, and I prefer the Sorcerer. Startling damage, amazing amount of skills to sleep or hold many mobs or enemies and a good mastery of the class does take time but is very rewarding.

For her, and my Cleric > I cook a specific food (Jelly) to keep their DP bar (special skills use this bar) filled. They can drink and eat 1 items each w/o canceling each other. I usually use mana regen drink, and a food that gives them hp regen and more magic attack.

I also make my own serum and scrolls (shield scroll, running scroll, etc) Scrolls help you by giving you boosts, food gives you stat boosts and serum is a flood of heal or mana - while potion is mana or heal over time.

These are what my girls master. They also have mastered Essencetapping (digging plants, ore, fishing) and Aethertapping (it is an air mine and the item Aether is used in all almost all crafting).

I like Kahrun - both sides are good. It is the newest server, I think it opened in July.

I never thought I would like playing a caster, and I also like Cleric but get tired of whispers inviting me to squads.

Leveling is fairly fast, especailly if you knwo the game. For example, I can get to lvl 10 in about an hour, and lvl 16 giving me another few hours. Then you hit  your first instance and after 2 hours of that or maybe 3, using experience scrolls, I can get to 22.  My friend can get her toons to lvl 30 in 3 days.

Grinding is not as bad at it once was. Do your campaigns, and we have a thing called the Atrian Atlas on the site that gives you perks for hitting milestones in your campaigns. Really nice ones.

The game has alot of depth and I use aiondatabase.com for alot of questions or where to find mats and designs for gear you want to craft.

I'm pretty active in the game - oh if you do not play for a few days the gives you an expereince item to help you gain exp back a bit faster (top left corner).

Have fun above all. Join a legion and make friends.