Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it hard to block certain words from being used for naming a character?

Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410

I'm just getting tired of reporting names. I don't go all out and report everything that is not in the fantasy setting, only names that are ridiculously offensive or just plain wrong.

Just a couple examples: Redhead Firecrotch, Indian Baby Raper

...Seriously? These shouldn't even make it into the game. Just put a light censor on words like "raper" or "crotch" in the character creation screen.

I guess it's not a huge deal so long as you can report and they can force them to change the name but something as ridiculous as these shouldn't of even made it into the starter area.

Comments

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    since names aren't server specific (kinda like Highlander, there can be only one), it's pretty tough coming up with a good name as it is.  I am totally against names like those you mentioned (just to point out) but I almost wonder how many of those with offensive names were just trying to get SOMETHING approved at creation after hitting their head against the keyboard tor half an hour trying to get something ok'd..  I know, I know, most of them are just base douchebags and did it on purpose.  I'd just like to beleive that the wow kids generation didn't mass migrate to GW2 as much as they did.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by blackthornn
    since names aren't server specific (kinda like Highlander, there can be only one), it's pretty tough coming up with a good name as it is.  I am totally against names like those you mentioned (just to point out) but I almost wonder how many of those with offensive names were just trying to get SOMETHING approved at creation after hitting their head against the keyboard tor half an hour trying to get something ok'd..  I know, I know, most of them are just base douchebags and did it on purpose.  I'd just like to beleive that the wow kids generation didn't mass migrate to GW2 as much as they did.

I understand your point but with a light censor they would get the idea that these types of names aren't allowed and hopefully would go on a different path. It's really not hard naming a character, I had 14 characters on GW1 (sad, I know) and only used one of them in GW2. The others I just thought up at the character creation screen.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    With the ability to use what like 5 words total? Coming up with a name should not be hard at all in this game. For the unoriginal people who always have naming issues, they can just use "Ace One" or "Legolas Five" "Doombringer Five Hundred"

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

I personally don't like name filtering as "douchbags" could always find a workaround by using a space between letters or text code symbol alternatives for letters like a, o, i and some others.

Speaking of "rape" I had a friend who tried using the name "Serapeal" in a game that uses filters and was forced to change it to "Serapil" while names like "p u s s y b l e" and "shi†head" run around freely. In short, the filter became an annoyance that does  nothing.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    People naming the toon Indian baby raper should get banned alltogether, not a sain person would name a toon like that.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    People with bad names not only get the name changed, but they also automatically get a short (3 days I think) ban no matter the reason of the name change. Then, names like "Indian Baby Raper" will most likely get a perma ban if reported.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Well there is a filter.

For some reason I can't call my pet Jaguar "Basement Kitty".

Must be some taboo on basements that I didn't know about.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Everything about their moderation is uneven and arbitrary. They might have fixed it, but someone couldn't use "Arbiter of Light" because apparently "bite" is offensive in French.

Then you have people who were denied their headstart because they named a character "Lappdance". I could see changing that one, but a three day ban?

I screencapped a bunch of Reddit posts by ANet demonstrating how terrible their moderation is.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083

I'm just getting tired of reporting names. I don't go all out and report everything that is not in the fantasy setting, only names that are ridiculously offensive or just plain wrong.

Just a couple examples: Redhead Firecrotch, Indian Baby Raper

...Seriously? These shouldn't even make it into the game. Just put a light censor on words like "raper" or "crotch" in the character creation screen.

I guess it's not a huge deal so long as you can report and they can force them to change the name but something as ridiculous as these shouldn't of even made it into the starter area.

You have issues with"Redhead Firecrotch" and go through the trouble of reporting people for it?

Taking it a bit far arent you.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Redhead Firecrotch is report worthy?

There are a great deal of banworthy names about, but let's not get too precious.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• zero462usazero462usa Member Posts: 26
    I named my character Molestor (which has more than one meaning). I've used the name in many games but was banned the day after headstart for 3 days. Really ruined my hype level for GW2, honestly this game is a bit on the lame side....no real progression after hitting 80...imho at least in other games the treadmills reward you with something, gw2 just says "oh it's a new skin congrats on wasting 100hrs just to be the same stats as everyone else...and you can't pvp with that LuLz."
  • Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    I believe "Redhead Firecrotch" is indeed report worthy. It doesn't belong in a fantasy game. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to report it.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083
    I believe "Redhead Firecrotch" is indeed report worthy. It doesn't belong in a fantasy game. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to report it.

The problem is that MMO's have spent a lot of time courting the FPS/PVP crowds over the years.  Those are the people who couldn't care less about the "RPG" elements, and are used to random, unrelated names.  Hell, in MW3, naming yourself something particularly offensive or annoying is just another tactic, because if they're so pissed off or annoyed by your name, then they're head isn't in the game as well it could be.

You see similar stuff games like Darkfall.  It's pretty consistant in that the more PvP-centric the game, the more likely you are to deal with crappy names.

You make me like charity