It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
This skill system is intended for use in a sandbox style game but will also work in themepark games. There are no character levels.
Skills are learnt through skill books which can be found like regular loot. Skills books are consumed upon use. Just like swords and shields and other items skills books can have randomnly generated effects/bonuses.
- deals (weapon_damage + intelligence) *1.2
- 30m range
epic fireball for cool people:
- deals (weapon_damage + intelligence) * 1.2
- 30m range
- +2m range
- deals bonus damage equal to (intelligence+0.1)
There is a limit on how many skills a character can have at a time eg. 20 Additional restrictions on how many of each type of skill a character can be introduced for balance if required. eg: only 2 slots available for healing skills. Some skills require a specific weapon to be equipped or they cannot be used eg. shield bash will require a shield to be equipped.
To respec all you have to do is unlearn a skill and use a skill book to learn another skill to take its place.
A crafting discipline called teaching or tome making or something could also be introduced which allows people to make a skill book of any skill which they have currently learnt. Mats such as paper and magical inks/fluids will also be required to create a skill book.
- not a huge power gap between new players and vets -> casual friendly
- constant supply/consumption = good economy
- meaningful crafting discipline
- character customisation/uniqueness
- hunting for new/better skills books is something for players to do
- respecing is a slow but fluid process -> characters will actually have character. your archer friend wont suddenly be a mage the next time you see him - he will be an arcane archer or some weird hybrid 0_0