Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Daniel Erickson Departs BioWare Austin

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by mrkit73

I did not know that WoW was the first successful MMO ever.

I guess I learn something new everyday.

*looks over at UO*

*shrug*

btw, I do not hate Wow, it's just not my thing.

In the UK, WoW is by far the most successful MMORPG ever. It's the only MMORPG that gets to the number 1 place on shop shelves.

I haven't seen ANY other MMORPG make the top 10 shelf.

To put WoW in perspective, Eve Online is placed on the bottom shelf.

But look at my portrait - which game do you think I prefer?! It's just one of those things - it's a funny old world.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by William12
    I don't blame EA.  Its obious from the people leaving EA is getting rid of the people who MADE the decisions regarding swtor.  

"Then you are lost!" Kenobi is right.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Why blame EA?  Why not blame the people who created arguably the worst MMO clone in modern history?

Am I the only person on here that is sick to death of reading the word clone over and over to discribe everything?  Do fans of other genres have to put up with this crap?  I don't recall ever seeing thousands of posts on fps forums about how every single game is a clone cause it uses guns or whatever.  Fracking annoying.

It is a clone because it copied every single aspect of WoW, and then did nothing new or different as a "Themepark". What's more, StarWars is NOT a "Themepark" viable IP as it is just too in-depth & dynamic of a universe.

They failed on multiple levels, but at the end of the day they failed by refusing to do something other than what has been done 200x before it. Look at the console industry, their games are almost nearly a complete redo each time they make a game. Think about Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, are each of those clones because they have guns? Nope, and they're almost completely different in how they play.

Unlike WoW -> SWTOR. That is why it is called a clone, and that term is completely viable to describe its failure.

so do you think that WoW isnt a clone also?

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

Make no mistake......

This man is partly to blame for the trainwreck that SWTOR is. YOU CANNOT BLAME EA solely for this trainwreck, if you do, then your naive.

Daniel Erickson was not only arrogant, but a liar as well....

Good riddance to bad rubbish. You deserve having a big black mark on your record Dannyboy

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    He was not creative at all. It is fault from him and his crew for some mistakes in swtor. Daniel knows nothing about how mmo works, just watch his interviews in the past.
  • AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

Check out his expression in the photo above........

LMAO

Is he trying to be a bald James Bond? Cmon man, with a mug like that? Really dude?

Its like hes trying to seduce the camera.....

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    I don't blame EA.  Its obious from the people leaving EA is getting rid of the people who MADE the decisions regarding swtor.  

Wrong.  The people that make all the decisions at EA are the men in suits and the bean counters.  At every stage of development they are shown the game's current progress and either bury it, force changes to it or give their blessing for the developer to continue.  The big publishers like EA, Activision and the rest are now getting to the point where they can completely control the industry and when that happens anti-monopoly laws really need to be enforced.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Lol, they copy every single aspect of WoW, lmao!!!

If they really do they wouldn't hv fail so badly ....

RIP Orc Choppa

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by eric1000

Wrong.  The people that make all the decisions at EA are the men in suits and the bean counters.  At every stage of development they are shown the game's current progress and either bury it, force changes to it or give their blessing for the developer to continue.  The big publishers like EA, Activision and the rest are now getting to the point where they can completely control the industry and when that happens anti-monopoly laws really need to be enforced.

Well, when someone really smells bad in the same room as you, sometimes, you just need to say something.

MR. EA? Peeyoo .. please sit somewhere else.

I'll sit near Activision-Blizzard.  oh wow they stink too, they just want my wallet. .. ugh :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• FuerchtegottFuerchtegott Member Posts: 79

In this case I have to agree with the ppl who DON'T blame EA. After all EA did his job, they gave more financial funds than ANY PC game EVER! It's not like EA told BW they had to develop this game in 2 years. BW had enough development time. So, both of the most critical requirements of game development, funds and time, were met.

However, if game designer have a restrictive approach to their game vision, it will end up in a restrictive game... it happend with WAR as well, when Paul Barnett was hyping the game telling us how players don't need this or that feature, because during times of war you only fight... Restrictive game design and MMORPGs just don't go well together...

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

[mod edit]

Read the quotes at the bottom of the article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-04-swtor-creative-director-daniel-erickson-leaves-bioware-austin

Despite having one less idiot who thought that simply trying to improve on the WoW model would somehow translate to monumental success, the studio still needs to make a great deal of changes to entice people to give TOR another shot, and simply going F2P won't change that.

Personally, if Dickinson is still there, I won't waste my time checking it out when it goes F2P.  The game will likely remain hopeless until he's gone as well.  It amazes me that Dickinson has now helped to completely fuck up not one, but two Star Wars-themed MMO's.  

Erickson being gone solves part of the problem, but TOR still needs a lot of things that it likely will not get in order to be anywhere near the success it was hyped to have been only months ago.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Why blame EA?  Why not blame the people who created arguably the worst MMO clone in modern history?

Am I the only person on here that is sick to death of reading the word clone over and over to discribe everything?  Do fans of other genres have to put up with this crap?  I don't recall ever seeing thousands of posts on fps forums about how every single game is a clone cause it uses guns or whatever.  Fracking annoying.

You missed the decade in which everything was a Doom clone. Even though Doom was a clone of Wolfenstein 3D. Weird, huh?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    All the rats are leaving a sinking ship....
  • KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

You missed the decade in which everything was a Doom clone. Even though Doom was a clone of Wolfenstein 3D. Weird, huh?

LOL.  We're now into the third decade of FPS clones.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by KyBo
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

LOL.  We're now into the third decade of FPS clones.

They aren't still refered to as Doom clones. Are they? Borderlands 2 is my first FPS in nearly 15 years, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This may be the best news for SWToR yet. DE ideas were backwards and 100% in the box thinking. Everything he said in interviews as to the difrection he wanted to take ToR made me want to unsub. I am intrested to see if this takes ToR in a better direction. 
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by Unshra
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    If they'd fired that arrogant asshole a long time ago, the game might have had a chance.

That makes little sense, it's like saying that if 38 Studio's fired R. A. Salvatore they might not have failed as a company. One of the few good things about SWTOR was the story so clearly Daniel Erickson did his job. However they shouldn't have allowed him to talk as he clearly doesn't understand MMO's as well as he understands writing a story.

The amount of damage done by Erickson's incompetence and arrogance towards Bioware's customers far outweighed any benefit he provided via stories that were mildly interesting.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

When EA takes over a company they gut it then merge them together. Origins was gutted by EA and all the creative minds of that game left. Mythic was bought by EA and gutted. Westward same.

BioWare was pushed into partnership after the during the release of DA:O we can see EA's influence in DA2 and ME2. Which were the two new games not yet developed at the time or very early on.

I predicted this would happen when it was first announced over in the BioWare forums. I have seen EA do this over and over again. As a company EA can't make decent games they have no creative will they just want the money.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    This is the first time I've been worried about the quality of the game going forward;  probably a sign that they are going to ignore the one thing the game did exceptionally well for an MMO (story) in favor of making it more generic and boring. (A.K.A. cheaper.)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    It's funny how people like to blame EA. Take a look a Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. You honestly thought this single-player company was going to completely change it's axiom and create the most explosive massive MULTIPLAYER online reoleplaying game? Wake up. BioWare did a crap job, as did EA.

all crap ideas in swtor was from EA. Unless u didnt like the full voice/videos too

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Fuerchtegott

In this case I have to agree with the ppl who DON'T blame EA. After all EA did his job, they gave more financial funds than ANY PC game EVER! It's not like EA told BW they had to develop this game in 2 years. BW had enough development time. So, both of the most critical requirements of game development, funds and time, were met.

However, if game designer have a restrictive approach to their game vision, it will end up in a restrictive game... it happend with WAR as well, when Paul Barnett was hyping the game telling us how players don't need this or that feature, because during times of war you only fight... Restrictive game design and MMORPGs just don't go well together...

But EA also demanded the game be made a certain way.  That's what comes with the power of the purse. 

The Bioware boys did a terrible job, but there's no doubt part of that terrible job was precisely what EA wanted.

• waits1972waits1972 Member Posts: 46
    That is a goofy picture.  Agreed.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Its not EA who created TOR it was Bioware.
    Even without EA TOR would have failed.

EA already has a shit reputation and with TOR / DA2 Bioware ruined their own rep as hard as EA did.
    They spended so much budget on the voice overs and in the end it was just spacebar food.
    The whole Bioware development team dint see this comming and their arrogance was their downfall.

ToR could have been so much more, but Bioware decided to make it the way it is instead of a insane big space / ground mmo.

Bleh SWTOR was the worste amount of money i spend in my life -_- and i bought 2 copy's worth with 2 timecards for 160 euro.

Hope they choke in it and go bankrupt those money eating game molestors :)

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    This is unfortunate. Now he will probably build another high rated piece of... name it. ;)
  • peanutgirlpeanutgirl Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Unshra
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    If they'd fired that arrogant asshole a long time ago, the game might have had a chance.

That makes little sense, it's like saying that if 38 Studio's fired R. A. Salvatore they might not have failed as a company. One of the few good things about SWTOR was the story so clearly Daniel Erickson did his job. However they shouldn't have allowed him to talk as he clearly doesn't understand MMO's as well as he understands writing a story.

Exactly, Talk, but making comments comes from what you think, they made the game with far to many story scenes for one thing, we buy an MMO to play and have fun, not sit there and watch umpteen hours of cut scenes, you could fly through the story driven quests and literally finish the story quite quickly, then what ? there was nothing else to keep you playing, every MMO has its "sell by date" imho, but SWTOR was a matter of hours, the game in reality was ruined before it was released.

it was a game where you were smacking the spacebar to end the cut scenes, as for quests, they were a total minority, only a small few were not boring. it was not EA that ruined the game, but the people that made it having no idea.