Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Botting Epidemic is Disheartening [updated]

Comments

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

First of all.... botting is not gold sellers spamming chat or mail to sell gold.

Secondly... I have not seen a massive influx of botting that ruins gameplay in most areas of the game. STOP being such a drama queen all!

As far as the issue of gold sellers and botting in MMOs..... they will be there. Every developer handles them differently, but Anet's approach to their games has always been strong and consistent. With a new form of MMO they will need new ideas and methods to confront them. Anet (not NcSoft) will handle exploiters in the same manor they did in the past. They DO NOT tolerate them!

So all the Naggy Nancys and Synical Sallys either find a different game to play if it is SOOOOO bad to play or be patient because it will change.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I heard of Bots from other players, but never met one in game yet, so it is not rampant as the OP make out to be.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by ste2000
    I heard of Bots from other players, but never met one in game yet, so it is not rampant as the OP make out to be.

Go to any starter area and bot trains will run you over. Don't downplay it. Even the devs acknowledge it.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Originally posted by squalleonaha

botting is consequence of gold  buying.

you give those farmer income then of course they keep making and ruin your game.

if that same money go into Anet pocket through gems sell, i think they can hire more techniction to develove anti -bot.

You are correct Botting is connected to Gold Farmers/Sellers  & there is an easy Fix , Make Gold Hierloom / & usable thru Auction House only

So gold can be handed down to any character on your account  or when U use it in the AH the gold goes from Your Hierloom Gold to the Seller/Buyer Hierloom gold ..

So you can't transfer gold from one player to another as easy as now.. while I doubt it would totally stop gold farmers it would slow em down .

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by TomBaker_fan

Geez, drama much? I reported a gaggle of 4 botters yesterday and within 15 minutes they disapeared. This is the only time I have ever seen bots, so they are doing the best they can. It is up to us to report what we see, if we do, they respond.

Why do people love drama so much?

You do realize that just because your experience was positive doesn't mean someone else had the same experience, don't you?

I've been reporting the same bot for a week and he is still there, every day, running the same path and even has a gibberish name - yet goes completely unchecked.

No, they don't always respond, and the poster you falsely accused of being dramatic wasn't actually being dramatic at all. Before you sling random mud at people you really should get all the facts straight.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by I_Return
    Not seen a bot yet :( .

This

I dunno I think most bots are on american servers and Im on Gandara(EU)

I think Ive seen like 1 bot. 

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by andre369
    Originally posted by I_Return
    Not seen a bot yet :( .

This

I dunno I think most bots are on american servers and Im on Gandara(EU)

I think Ive seen like 1 bot. 

I would say that all my expereiences have been on American servers so there may be something to that. USA servers are rife with them.

• NxFalsNxFals Member UncommonPosts: 2

Originally posted by Digna.

Go to any starter area and bot trains will run you over. Don't downplay it. Even the devs acknowledge it.

Not true, it depends on the world you're on. I've only ever seen one bot from pre-launch until today. I've seen the Youtube videos, so I know some worlds have it bad, but a lot do not. And they are over dramatising it. It may be unpleasant to see a ton of bots running around, but you cannot compare it to botting in other mmos. It is no where near as bad, for one, you don't really have to fight against them. So long as you tag a mob, you get full credit for it. You all don't seem to understand there are many things they are working on that has higher priority. The only place bots have any real negative effect is in WvW. I can understand that bots are highly frowned upon though, and I would like them gone as well even though they're very rare on my world, but you should all stop being little babies about it and just be patient. They'll eventually take care of it, for the most part anyways. Until then, you whiners are more of an eyesore than bots. If you can't appreciate Arenanet's hardwork and efforts, then go play something else. I'm sure you won't be missed. You make it sound like what they do is so easy. If you think it is that simple and that you know how to fix the issue, why don't you contact Arenanet about it? I'm sure they would love to hear about it. Otherwise, you're of no help at all. Of course, you're free to say whatever you want, whenever you want, so I know I'm not stopping anyone. But I'm also allowed to say what I want, and I just wanted you all to know that you're making yourselves look stupid.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by sfc1971

In a server based game, this is not possible. You game client send your command (move forward) and the server that has been keeping track of where you are, calculates your new position and transmits it back to you.

It is why western MMO's suffer from lag, rubber banding (your game engine doesn't wait for the server to tell it its new position but moves you already, but then puts you back if it doesn't get acknowledgement from the server) etc etc. 

ive seen rubber banding in both GW1 and GW2 (altho its rare in GW2)

ive seen speed and teleport hacks in "server based" mmos like WOW

I don't know enough about rubber banding to comment about it. However, at the time that WOW (not private servers, but official one) allowed speed and teleport hacks, it means that at that time their server checks did not react to the "unrealistic" changes, which contradicts what the original poster meant. If it has server based "movement" then you can't speedhack efficientely, at best I can Imagine that a 5% or 10% increase in speed is possible, but that is negligible. 

As for teleport hack: there are two types: one where you teleport to any location within the same map and the other where you teleport to another map without cost. If there are proper server checks in place for movement, the first verson will not work, because either the server is the one that gives info where your next step should be or the server notes that the step you did is not okay and ports you back.

The second form of teleport hack is possible if the server does not check from where you call the "teleport to other map command". Games solves this by making sure to check that the  serverside coordinates is near the serverside coordinates of the relevant teleporter npc and by making sure that the teleport command is only possible through sending the "npc teleport packet".

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

You're probably aren't noticing them
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Digna

I have leveled 5-7 toons through starting areas. All of them and have not once seen a "bot train" run me over in any starting zone on my server. Maybe certain servers have a greater issue, but I believe it is more isolated than some screaming "foul" want you to believe. In either case Anet will not take long to reduce the problem. 

Here's an example of a bot gang.There's 5 in this pic,though there were 4 more behind me that werent in screen lol..

9 altogether.

• windwavewindwave Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by tank017

Here's an example of a bot gang.There's 5 in this pic,though there were 4 more behind me that werent in screen lol..

9 altogether.

I've seen and reported 4 bots (in a train)  in the human starting area on blackgate the other day. All 4 were rangers. Is there a reason why they like to use ranger for botting? Is it because of the pets?

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Play eve online! You can kill the bots and cost them alot.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I started a new character the other day and by the time I loaded into game I already had a gold spam mail. All of these forms of botting are symptoms of a game that doesn't provide enough gold to players through the normal process of playing and requires too much gold to purchase end game gear. Increase gold drops and/or decrease gear costs and there wouldn't be such a huge market for 3rd party gold sellers and they'd move on.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by sfc1971

I am still amazed people are suprised.

Korean MMO's have never had quality, that is why they could afford to be free. Because they were very simple games with just lot of flash in the frontend.

Before and during launch, you saw countless posts how GW2 lnot needing a subscription was proof western developers were lying with their claim they needed subs to pay for servers and support.

Well guess what? Those posters were wrong.

Did you know ARENANET is an American Studio ,right ???

Not Korean....

Well guess what? You were wrong......

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Reported a bunch of them but Anet seems to be too busy to ban them.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Threads like this really make me wonder where people are seeing all these bots, because I've never seen any. X_X

level 80 elementalist and a 66 warrior atm.

But if It's really that bad then yeah, arenanet should step up their game.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

remember Dhumm

ANET do not tolerate botters. Their judgment will come.

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Agoden

Threads like this really make me wonder where people are seeing all these bots, because I've never seen any. X_X

level 80 elementalist and a 66 warrior atm.

But if It's really that bad then yeah, arenanet should step up their game.

I apologize but I'm no calling you out, however I see this all the time where people say I didn't see any bots.  I have noticed that it seems alot of players just don't understand what is going on and what signs to look for that someone is botting.  For example on my server, if you go to Sparkfly Fen, the waypoint in the very SW corner, there is an event that spawns where waves of Risen attack a small asura camp.  There is usually 20-30 bots standing around the area in groups of 5.  They are tied to a location on the ground, and fight in a scripted manner just like the NPC enemies.  It is hard to spot though because mobs spawn in this area at a fast rate so they run around from mob to mob like a player would, you only see them run back to the Spot that they are Tied to when there are no mobs in there tab target zone to attack or whatever it is they use to determine enemies are nearby.  Personally this worries me too because it seems they are hacking alot of stuff in this game (Hello Radar) but thats for another topic.

What I have noticed when I go to this area, is that many players see these groups running around together and think they are players that are playing in sync together and doing a good job, what they don't realize is that nobody is playing these toons and thus the misconception that they haven't seen botting, when in fact it was right under there nose and they just didn't know it.  I even see people talking to them and commending them on there *Skills, which is rather comical.  When your playing the game and running from area to area, most people I would guess don't spend enough time in the same area to actually notice the *Pattern* that tips you off that they are bots, instead they just see people in big groups fighting together.

TL:DR - People aren't aware they are seeing bots because the game is designed to make you move through it so fast you don't notice the patterns that tip you off that their bots.

• orion2355orion2355 Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Bynt
    Originally posted by Agoden Threads like this really make me wonder where people are seeing all these bots, because I've never seen any. X_X level 80 elementalist and a 66 warrior atm.   But if It's really that bad then yeah, arenanet should step up their game.
    I apologize but I'm no calling you out, however I see this all the time where people say I didn't see any bots.  I have noticed that it seems alot of players just don't understand what is going on and what signs to look for that someone is botting.  For example on my server, if you go to Sparkfly Fen, the waypoint in the very SW corner, there is an event that spawns where waves of Risen attack a small asura camp.  There is usually 20-30 bots standing around the area in groups of 5.  They are tied to a location on the ground, and fight in a scripted manner just like the NPC enemies.  It is hard to spot though because mobs spawn in this area at a fast rate so they run around from mob to mob like a player would, you only see them run back to the Spot that they are Tied to when there are no mobs in there tab target zone to attack or whatever it is they use to determine enemies are nearby.  Personally this worries me too because it seems they are hacking alot of stuff in this game (Hello Radar) but thats for another topic.

What I have noticed when I go to this area, is that many players see these groups running around together and think they are players that are playing in sync together and doing a good job, what they don't realize is that nobody is playing these toons and thus the misconception that they haven't seen botting, when in fact it was right under there nose and they just didn't know it.  I even see people talking to them and commending them on there *Skills, which is rather comical.  When your playing the game and running from area to area, most people I would guess don't spend enough time in the same area to actually notice the *Pattern* that tips you off that they are bots, instead they just see people in big groups fighting together.

TL:DR - People aren't aware they are seeing bots because the game is designed to make you move through it so fast you don't notice the patterns that tip you off that their bots.

I was just about to mention "Bot"Fly Den as I have named it after running through there yesterday, it was actually my first visual confirmation of botting as about 6-8 naked rangers raced back and forth in one spot......all day long and would suddenly appear every time something would spawn.

---I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm simply saving you from that hideous costume you're wearing.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Botting has gotten worse over the years, it's a thorn in the side of every MMO I've played and has just about distorted or ruined every game economy there is. To be honest I don't think that most players are aware of the impact it has. I used to believe that most bots where gold sellers until I played EVE online and found that it was actually players themselves that are responsible for the vast majority of it.

The only way I see this problem being solved or at least contained is if games start capping drops or item exchanges or getting rid of trade completely which will basically get rid of player economy. It's not something I like to see.

Originally posted by windwave

Originally posted by tank017
      Here's an example of a bot gang.There's 5 in this pic,though there were 4 more behind me that werent in screen lol..   9 altogether.

I've seen and reported 4 bots (in a train)  in the human starting area on blackgate the other day. All 4 were rangers. Is there a reason why they like to use ranger for botting? Is it because of the pets?

I guess they feel ranger is highest dps/survivability...I've only seen ranger and guardian bots.Mostly ranger though
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Deny all you want with "I haven't seen any"

I'm uploading more videos of them, they're all over on Yak's Bend, even in the 55-70 zones.
    http://www.youtube.com/nolegu

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Can I safely assume anyone I see fighting in-game naked is a bot?

It's probable but not 100 percent sure, because anyone can break all their armor if they suck at playing and don't make time to go repair.  So it's POSSIBLE a naked player is just a player, not necessarily a bot.  However....botting is the more LIKELY of the two.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club