Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jon Peters on FOV issues.

observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Camera-and-FOV-field-of-view/first

1st response

"I’ve seen a lot of topics on this both here and externally so let me try and address it. The current FOV is going to stay because increasing it, while having some benefits for some players, has too many drawbacks.

1) performance suffers greatly because of how things are built and view distances

2) art suffers because of texture tiling, LOD problems and just general stretching from the fisheye effect.

3) gameplay suffers because positional awareness becomes less necessary in a game where combat is greatly designed around positioning.

There is a a serious camera problem, however, which is making some players nauseous. We believe a large number of these cases are not FOV related but rather due to bugs in camera smoothing. Because of this we are expediting a quick fix to this issue that is currently in testing and should see the light of day in the next build we do."

Jon

2nd response

"FOV in GW2 is 75, which is the same as the default in Half Life and WoW. While I understand people’s desires, (I play source engine and quake engine games at about 105 or 110), we are not just limiting it for technical reasons, there are also gameplay implications that we are taking into account that we believe are a core part of the game. Additionally we keep it at 75 to maintain the integrity of our art which is also important to us and many of our fans. If there was a single reason we might think about looking for a workaround, but because it relates to core issues for 3 of our major departments this is not an easy problem and will remain that way for the foreseeable future."

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I have to say i'm disappointed with that response.  Giving us options would be better for everyone.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by observer
    I have to say i'm disappointed with that response.  Giving us options would be better for everyone.

Options may cost too much money and/or it also means that they can't spend more time on other issues.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Options may cost too much money and/or it also means that they can't spend more time on other issues.

Understandable, but those weren't the reasons for not including this.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i just want a vertical slider similar to the horizontal slider in the options so i can see over the top of my characters head.

there cant be any gameplay or technical reasons as to why that cant be done.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 210

Jon Peters is a joke.

Hopefully he'll end up in the trash just like other failed developers who won't listen.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I musta missed this one...whats the issue?

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Those reponses are such a joke. Using HL and WoW as a example. Little did he forgot to say one is a first person game and even if WoWs is that by default, no one will leave it at that if its causing issues. I do like how in a round about way he does say that the way they designed the game they are unable to let the camera pan out further.

Honestly that kind of response is what i would expect from a smaller company, but one this big. It saddens me they know these problems are there but would rather leave them as is rather than fixing them. I'm not one to bash companies, but the camera controls in GW2 are terrible. Hell, a game like HL has better camera controls than a game coming out in 2012.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by Zetsuei

Those reponses are such a joke. Using HL and WoW as a example. Little did he forgot to say one is a first person game and even if WoWs is that by default, no one will leave it at that if its causing issues. I do like how in a round about way he does say that the way they designed the game they are unable to let the camera pan out further.

Honestly that kind of response is what i would expect from a smaller company, but one this big. It saddens me they know these problems are there but would rather leave them as is rather than fixing them. I'm not one to bash companies, but the camera controls in GW2 are terrible. Hell, a game like HL has better camera controls than a game coming out in 2012.

I'd have to agree, loving guild wars 2, having an amazing time playing it.

But the camera is just absolutely dreadful

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    FOV is less of an issue in 3d person games than it is in 1st person. Even if you end up having the same angle of viewing, 75 in this case, it's much less restricted or feels like it in the 3rd person view. Maybe it is that way because you can see things that would be impossible to see in first person, like part of the rear area.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    While there is a bit of an issue with cameras, I don't really think that Field Of View is really that important. It's more annoying to have to turn your camera over and over during strafing in combat. THAT is annoying. It makes using ground-targetted skills a genuine pain. FOV being 75 degrees or 90 degrees or 110 degrees, fisheying the whole scene is just cosmetics and hardly affects the gaming experience as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind that being the same for everyone.

imageimage
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

The response from Jon Peters gave me "deja vu". It's almost like reading Bioware statements from January 2012.

Anyway, FOV is an issue in lot of games and GW2 as well. If you check a certain youtube video of changed FOV and try it for yourself, you'll see that higher FOV makes a huge difference and significantly improves game experience.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

The reason they aren't giving players the option to increase FOV is that it would yield unfair advantages for people that increase it for PvP. The wider your FOV, the wider your cone of vision.

Sooner or later everyone - whether they want to or not - would have to increase their FOV to the max in order to stay on the line especially in competitive PvP.

Personally, I have no problem with either how the camera behaves or how it is positioned. Admittedly it took some getting used to because it reacts very directly to input but once spatial awareness adapted it was okay. Still a pity for the people that DO suffer from visually induced nausea, though.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Camera-and-FOV-field-of-view/first

1st response

"I’ve seen a lot of topics on this both here and externally so let me try and address it. The current FOV is going to stay because increasing it, while having some benefits for some players, has too many drawbacks.

1) performance suffers greatly because of how things are built and view distances

2) art suffers because of texture tiling, LOD problems and just general stretching from the fisheye effect.

3) gameplay suffers because positional awareness becomes less necessary in a game where combat is greatly designed around positioning.

There is a a serious camera problem, however, which is making some players nauseous. We believe a large number of these cases are not FOV related but rather due to bugs in camera smoothing. Because of this we are expediting a quick fix to this issue that is currently in testing and should see the light of day in the next build we do."

Jon

2nd response

"FOV in GW2 is 75, which is the same as the default in Half Life and WoW. While I understand people’s desires, (I play source engine and quake engine games at about 105 or 110), we are not just limiting it for technical reasons, there are also gameplay implications that we are taking into account that we believe are a core part of the game. Additionally we keep it at 75 to maintain the integrity of our art which is also important to us and many of our fans. If there was a single reason we might think about looking for a workaround, but because it relates to core issues for 3 of our major departments this is not an easy problem and will remain that way for the foreseeable future."

Don't now why people are shitting so much on his response. The first 2 are decent reasons as why not to. The third being debatable.

To use a different example. You can put a huge spoiler on the back of your car, but that doesn't mean you will get more speed out of it. Hell most of the time modifications slow the cars top speed down. 

In the first 2 reasons he's saying people will have a drop in fps and that the game will have graphical distortions if they change it without a massive rewrite of the game code.