Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 hold its own competing with MOP?

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Old WoW vet reporting in who made the jump to GW2.

The direction MoP took for me and many of our guild was a dead end.
    Sales of MoP seem very underwhelming so far, while GW2 had to stop their sales to buy more servers etc etc.

I think WoW splitted their playerbase in half with MoP, you either like it or you dont, a middle road is not realy present.

I think Panda's and Pet battles + cross zone's did alot more harm then good.

I wont ever play WoW again for sure, maybe if they dint add panda's i would resub at some point, but now i know i wont ever buy 1 Blizzard product again.

Maybe our guild is alone in this, but it seems many more players turned away from this expansion then any previous expansions, hell TBC - WotLK - even Cataclysm sold more in the 1st week.

They seem to have shot their left leg of with panda's.

GW2 on the other hand is doing great, i love every little detail about GW2 and many of my guild claim it to be the mmo to play for the upcomming years.

Once MoP sales are out in the open we can say what damage MoP has done to themselves or how good it is versus Cataclysm.

But all the signs of WoW are pointing in a very hard downwards spiral that started in WotLK.

around 3.5 / 4 million players lost in 2.5 years....

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

I don't really believe Xfire can be used as a good indicator on trends, based on the users being mainly teens, and that a good proportion of GW2 users are adults, compared to WoW users being children and adolescent girls.

? Kinda hard to tell on these forums sometimes (seriously), but this was sarcasm, right?
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

MOP?

When you look at the numbers allready more people in Western Europe and the US have a copy of GW2 then a copy of MOP.  I dont think many more will return to MOP, espescially not GW2 players. And if they return, they will mostly be irritated by the age of WoW that is clearly showing these days.

GW2 is the future for most MMO gamers while WoW is more and more turning intoo a game of the past.  Espescially since GW2 is very casual friendly, WoW will not be to attractive to these players.

I spend most of my time a month before GW2 launch on these forums... I swore that I would never play WoW again, since it was a year I last logged in.

I had a blast in GW2. From 1 to 80 it was quite fun. But my god the grind at end game was boring. The dungeons wasn't for me. Dynamic Events are really cool but theres too few and you have to run like hell all the time, hoping you get there just in time.

The WvW is indeed cool, but 3 hour queue time sucks, and it feels like a dumbed down version of Warhammer Online's RvR.

I'm afraid I'm back in WoW myself.. Still not proud to say it. But I'm enjoying it so far.

Would I be enjoying it in a month? I dont know, maybe I will maybe I won't. Maybe GW2 got endgame content thats fun at that time. I play until I'm bored.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by gotha
    Originally posted by Loke666 

Xfire doesnt measure either games very well. And both games first 2 weeks are really missleading anyways since people actually take time off from work and school to play the release they have waited for even if the rest of the numbers were correct.

Xfire is useful to track large long term trends so if you look on 3 or 6 months and only count 20% steps then you do get some numbers on one game but you cant compare different games since some communities prefer Xfire while others uses vent or similar programs.

I do however think GW2 have impacted MOPs sales numbers, clearly they were lower than Cata or Blizzard would have boasted about them by now but the question is how much. And then of course if someone play GW2 instead of MOP, is it because he think GW2 is a better game or just because it is B2P?

If GW2 will have a long term effect of Wow or not is really still anybodys guess, and measuring it is hard because more than a few players actually play both and that messes up any measurement.

I am not sure how good Xfire would be for long term usage.  It seems to me Xfire users would be a lot more likely to be game hoppers and would likely show a decline greater than the general population.  They also seem like they would be less likely to buy a game in the latter stages than the general population.  

Indeed but for large trends it still works. If a game keeps on droppimg for 6 months and slowly have lost 50% of the players you can assume things could have gone better. If it on the other hand actually increases it is good news but it still only shows the general trend, 50% of the players in Xfire does not mean it lost 50% of the players, but it have lost some.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Every game is competing against each other for players time.

I am cutting down my play time on GW2 since now I am playing PS2 and Hawken Beta.

By the way between Mechwarrior Online and Hawken, I would say Hawken is way better. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I spend most of my time a month before GW2 launch on these forums... I swore that I would never play WoW again, since it was a year I last logged in.

I had a blast in GW2. From 1 to 80 it was quite fun. But my god the grind at end game was boring. The dungeons wasn't for me. Dynamic Events are really cool but theres too few and you have to run like hell all the time, hoping you get there just in time.

The WvW is indeed cool, but 3 hour queue time sucks, and it feels like a dumbed down version of Warhammer Online's RvR.

I'm afraid I'm back in WoW myself.. Still not proud to say it. But I'm enjoying it so far.

Would I be enjoying it in a month? I dont know, maybe I will maybe I won't. Maybe GW2 got endgame content thats fun at that time. I play until I'm bored.

3 hours queue? Dude, you dont have to play on the full servers, my server is medium and have 15 minutes.

But hey, you dont really have to play the game regurlarly if you dont want to, just log in whenever you feel for it. And there will be an expansion comming up this spring or so.

I used GW as a backup game for 5 years (had it as main game  for 1) and that worked excellent, good to get a nice PvP kick or just some different PvE now and then.

I assume I eventually will do the same with GW2 but I think I will get a year out of GW2 first as well.

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

3 hours queue? Dude, you dont have to play on the full servers, my server is medium and have 15 minutes.

But hey, you dont really have to play the game regurlarly if you dont want to, just log in whenever you feel for it. And there will be an expansion comming up this spring or so.

I used GW as a backup game for 5 years (had it as main game  for 1) and that worked excellent, good to get a nice PvP kick or just some different PvE now and then.

I assume I eventually will do the same with GW2 but I think I will get a year out of GW2 first as well.

I might have overplayed GW2 too since I tried to get a main up fast. I thought DEs would be in the starter zones, aka everywhere around the map. I were wrong.

I will log on later to see if it got new or more content. But as it is so now, I take off a vacation from it. The game is good. Just annoying being on a over populated server and the lack of content.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    GW2 was never meant to hold a large player base as constantly as subscription based models, it allows players to jump to other games, with new content added the numbers will rise again.  As much as I enjoy GW2, it would never hold me if it had a subscription.  WoW is now a love it or hate it MMO imo, Blizzard are just milking as much as they can before they hit the delete button.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    THese queue times are not unheard of, if you're only trying to enter EB in any server above medium during prime time. EB happens to be more popular both because it's more balanced (one reason why it fills up first of all battlegrounds) and it has the most interesting and rewarding jumping puzzle.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    People knock the pet battles in the new wow thing, but that sounds interesting to me, not that I'm going to buy all the wow expansions so I can play it. If it proves popular i think gw2 should borrow the idea, it would fit the game better than raids that people keep banging on about.
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    THese queue times are not unheard of, if you're only trying to enter EB in any server above medium during prime time. EB happens to be more popular both because it's more balanced (one reason why it fills up first of all battlegrounds) and it has the most interesting and rewarding jumping puzzle.

It is not only for Eternal Battlegrounds, it is for ANY WvW queue

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I am playing both games and I think that is fantastic.

MoP is great, if you ignore the fact that you may hate pandas, the rest of the stuff is good game content and worth purchasing.

GW2 is also great it's the first MMO I don't feel obliged to play for hours and hours on end, that may be a bad thing for some people. I still have the urge to play the game but not for any sort of extended period of time. It's fun but I don't feel the need to live in the game.

I will happily play GW2 again in 6 months if I have stopped playing, or whenever if there is a gap in the market when other games come out, it's always there so I will always go back to it. With a subscription game I have to actually get my debit card out and spend money to go back. I think GW2 will keep good numbers but they may be a bit more spread out.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    People knock the pet battles in the new wow thing, but that sounds interesting to me, not that I'm going to buy all the wow expansions so I can play it. If it proves popular i think gw2 should borrow the idea, it would fit the game better than raids that people keep banging on about.

Pet battles are the best addition to WoW since it was released in 2004. Btw I think you can try them by playing the f2p wow up to level 20.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Im pretty  sure that GW2 is not meant to compete against traditional MMORPG's.

GW2 feels more of a second game to take a break from my main. Not that i have a main at the moment. i tend to find myself playing for a couple of days and having a great time and then finding myself turning it of for  week. GW2 is a fun game but for me i am finding that i  mirror in games my real life characteristics. In real life i am more practical than vane and in MMORPG's i have changed over the years to be the same.

I find myself buying an expensive coat that is made from goretex and has excellent propertys for mountain walking.

In GW2 it is all about being vane and getting that great looking skin so people can see you beat Xboss.

i had this worry that without practical gear grind i would tire of the game, and although i am still enjoying it and playing very casually, i have to admit without the lure of that better weapon/armour that will allow me to beat that mob i am struggling with.....i am tiring :(

GW2 is a very simple game to get into. very casual friendly and lots of fun. but it.s not and i dont think was ever intended to be a long term game.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

It will hold its own fine.  Although it will compete against MoP in terms of playing time, I don't think it will suffer too greatly simply due to the fact that the game is designed so differently that it will,  by the nature of the kind of player it attracts,  hold up better than more traditional themepark WoW-clones.  

GW2 is designed so that it can be either the main game for players that don't care about progression or achievement, or a secondary game for players that still want to see visible, tangible progression for their character and still enjoy chasing the carrot, but prefer to occasionally take a break by playing a game in which that chase isn't there.

Either way, in this particular case, GW2's different approach to the themepark model will actually help them mitigate some of the damage caused by MoP's release.  Games like SWTOR and Rift will suffer much more, IMO, since they are games that clone the WoW model, but don't do it as well. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    yes.
  • caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    MoP sold 2.7million copies excluding china in a week.  GW2 sold 2million in a few weeks and hemorrhaged players... it isn't going to hold its own in direct competition with MoP... but it doesn't have to, because it is a casual mmo that you can play for 15minutes a week.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by caetftl
    MoP sold 2.7million copies excluding china in a week.

Do they sell boxes in China?  Don't they just get pay by the hour and not have to buy the game itself?

The 2.7 million sales in one week is not so hot compared to 3.3 million CATA sold in a day.  The 2.7 million apparently includes Brazil, South Korea and Japan.  Did GW2 sell in those countries?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

wonder how will GW2 be doing in a year in comparison to MOP.    Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

no idea

but GW2 will be launching in China too

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/guild-wars-2-is-heading-to-china/

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by caetftl
    MoP sold 2.7million copies excluding china in a week.

Do they sell boxes in China?  Don't they just get pay by the hour and not have to buy the game itself?

The 2.7 million sales in one week is not so hot compared to 3.3 million CATA sold in a day.  The 2.7 million apparently includes Brazil, South Korea and Japan.  Did GW2 sell in those countries?

Not everyone who plays WOW in china uses a lancenter pay by the hour service... people play from home as well...

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

Anyone lose about a million people? I found a million in my wow servers, trying to find the owner.

:P

Sorry.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by tank017

I think a lot of people will be playing both.

why have one when nothings stopping u from having 2?

While I agree with you, for other peope time will be the limiting factor. For myself, I would be playing both, but my rig can't handle GW2 and I'm not in a position to buy a new one. I was able to get my hands on a MoP with a huge discount, so I bought it. So far I've really enjoyed my time. Rolled a Panda monk, so I've to sludge through the old content first. They did however buffed the xp gain significantly, so it's nearly one level each 15 minutes or so, which is kind of redicilious when you think about it.

That said, both games appeal to me in a different way. In GW2 I like to explore and the personal story bit. Also, the combat is fun in it's own way. I'm a digger for customization and what I've seen in GW2 (pretty limited though) was really good. In WoW I've the feeling that I'm one cog of the whole machine, something that I find lacking in GW2. My guess that this is because of the removal of the trinity system and the way PvE leveling is handled in GW2. Plus WoW just plays so damn smooth.

Both are good games and if my rig would handle GW2 better, I would play them both. When I'm not playing LoL with friends that is. So much to game, so little time :(

Originally posted by nsignific

Anyone lose about a million people? I found a million in my wow servers, trying to find the owner.

:P

Sorry.

The guys with the Star wars T-shirts? I think they are from some other game...

But really, one year from now GW2 will have 1 expansion out and Blizz will have a new one in beta, who knows where the games are then?

MoP is not really the expanion that got all old Wow players back, but it is not a disaster or anything either with selling 80% in the first week of what Cata did in the same time.

So far so good for both games, but as I said, anything can happen. The game who releases the best expansion next will of course get an advantage, and GW2s Chinese launch is also important for them.

Wow is still in lead, that much is clear but the game is ageing and Titan is very important for Activision Blizzard.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

It's waaay too early to tell, MMOs are meant to be evaluated over a long period of time.

I know we've gotten USED to Blizzard breaking all time sales records with every new release, but really, that's not a realistic expectaion to have of anything or anyone.

Just because MoP is not the fastest selling thing on the planet, ever, doesn't mean it flopped, right? :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They don't compete, they appeal to different audiences

Wow is primarily a game for people that like collecting shiny things

Gw2 isn't