Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: 2.7 Million Sold the First Week

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

That sounds believable.  Cata sold 3.3million in 24 hours but turned off a lot of players.  They had to expect a drop in sales on this expansion.  2.7 million in a week is nothing to sneeze at.  I wonder how many people are actively playing in MoP in Asia.  I'd assume they've lost roughly the same % of players as well, but who knows.

It shows just how many people are looking for alternatives to WOW in games like SWTOR and GW2.  Rift could have been huge if it was based on a well known IP.

Rift didn't need a well-known IP.  Just an interesting one.

Bingo.  Rifts lack of success had nothing to do with lack of established IP, as all an established IP does is draw customers to try your game, and Rift had absolutely zero issues getting people to try their game.  They just have had very poor retention.  For all Rift does right it is devoid of soul.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by kostoslav
    Playing WoW is not cool anymore. Cool kids play LoL now.

You mean ADD afflicted little tourret's sufferers. lol  I saw about as much random flaming in that game in a day than I would see in WoW in a month.  (But hey I didn't visit the Barrens much).

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by slickbizzle
    Originally posted by escarreta
    Can someone explain me what are doing 7.3 million players in wow? If was sold just 2.7 million and has 10 million subscribers...

Same way it had 12 million "subscribers" and sold 4-5 million copies of Cata. China doesn't buy the game or expansions.  It's free. They pay for time played.    So now, they have 10 million "subscribers" and sold 2.7 million copies worldwide. 

So essentially, their "subscription" numbers never meant much.

To paraphrase someone in a now-locked thread, this is the first expansion to sell less than the previous one, how is that a good thing?

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Teala
    I and my partner still haven't bought Mist of Pandaria and we're letting our subs go this month.    We did the Mist beta and didn't like the changes they made to the talent trees or the cross character achievements.   That means that for the first time since 2004, neither of us will have a WoW account.    We did like the new Panda's and Pandaria, we just didn't like the changes that came with it to the core game play.   Blizzard lost two fans here.  I wonder how many others feel as we do?

I honestly havent heard complaints about the cross character achevements, most seem to love them.  I am indifferent, its silly seeing some of the titles you see on a level 15 character, but im more annoyed with the Mekgineer's chopper being allowed in Pandaria.  It fits Azeroth but man they stck out like a sore thumb in Pandaria.  You would think Pandarens would nix them.

As for the talents...The last time the talent trees were interesting was tBC.  Wrath trees were dumbed down so there was no real choice outside of a few random cases (death knights were about it).  However Cataclysm the trees were beyond miserable.  There was no meangingful choice at all, there was either good option or bad option.

The new system most certainly, beyond any shadow of a doubt give you more choice than Cataclysm.  To debate it would be silly.  BUT its boring.  I agree, it sucks, and the reason it sucks is because you feel you have no active control over your devlopment.  Even in Cata where it was either make the right choice or be terrible, you still felt in control.  WoW currently  removes almost all the joy out of 'ding'.  To be fair, GW2 does this as well so its not a WoW specific thing.

So I can certainly see the disappointment with it, and other than scenarios being underwhelming is my only big gripe with MoP.  However, it didnt change the core game play one iota.  Its been over 4 years since WoW has been about making builds (sadly) and I'm over it by now.  If only because the games you do have more control (Rift) arent nearly as good as the ones where you don't (GW2, MoP WoW).  EQ2 is the best balance these days, but still waiting for that team to rebound after Smokejumper's disastrous reign.

So until a game that comes along that is based on choice that is worthy to play (apologies to EvE here, respect the game but don't like it) Ill live with limited customization.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Can someone explain me what are doing 7.3 million players in wow? If was sold just 2.7 million and has 10 million subscribers...

Same way it had 12 million "subscribers" and sold 4-5 million copies of Cata. China doesn't buy the game or expansions.  It's free. They pay for time played.    So now, they have 10 million "subscribers" and sold 2.7 million copies worldwide. 

To paraphrase someone in a now-locked thread, this is the first expansion to sell less than the previous one, how is that a good thing?

if you consider that when we talk about almost all the latest mmo's, we look IF there are any subscribers left until their FIRST expansion, then hell yes, selling so much after 8 years its a good thing for Blizz and WoW.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    lmao at the haters QQing at blizzards success
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Sounds to me like they are reaching for straws to get the number. I mean other times there was never a need to try to factor in "special promotion sales". If you read between the lines on that announcement you will see the fact that the numbers are NO WHERE CLOSE to what they wanted.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Xepo
    Sounds to me like they are reaching for straws to get the number. I mean other times there was never a need to try to factor in "special promotion sales". If you read between the lines on that announcement you will see the fact that the numbers are NO WHERE CLOSE to what they wanted.

You don't have to read between the lines to know that they'd love to have sold more, but, uh... 2.7 million? At $40 per sale at minimum, that's not such a bad catch, my friend.

Also, to my knowledge, there were no discount promotions or bundle packages to recieve the expansion. There was the Year Long sub for D3 and Beta access to MoP, but that didn't include a free upgrade for release. There's no mention of special promotion sales in the press release.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Read 87 comments, so many funny remarks.  I mean really what did most people expect.  No matter what is said, and by who.  People that dislike the game, or have a chip on their shoulders will not believe what is said.

MoP outsold GW2 get over it. If you didn't know this was going to happen. I don't know what to say. WoW has been the 500 pound gorilla in the MMO industry for more then half a decade now.

MoP didn't sell as fast as Cata, get over it. If you didn't know this was going to happen. Then you weren't paying attention to all the ruckus over the changes to the game that have lead up to this expansion. Plus people seemed to have an issue with the idea of a Panda race.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I am not shocked it outsold gw2 , Im also not shocked it didn't sell as well as cata when u consider cata turned alot of people off i even stopped playing even though i stayed subbed for 6 months. 

I wanted d3 free, I have the annual pass and i paid my 40 bucks for mop and my gf paid 60 as she got the digital delux version for her mount and companion pet she loves those things , I dont need them like she does. 

They also sold collector editions in that 2.7 million . These seem tob e blizzards numbers though as it is part of a press release from them. So anyone saying its not official numbers is probably wrong

sure they are still selling mop also. So final numbers will get higher but 2.7 mil in first week most probably day 1 isnt bad and is in line with where bc was first day. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by kalinis

I am not shocked it outsold gw2 , Im also not shocked it didn't sell as well as cata when u consider cata turned alot of people off i even stopped playing even though i stayed subbed for 6 months. 

I wanted d3 free, I have the annual pass and i paid my 40 bucks for mop and my gf paid 60 as she got the digital delux version for her mount and companion pet she loves those things , I dont need them like she does. 

They also sold collector editions in that 2.7 million . These seem tob e blizzards numbers though as it is part of a press release from them. So anyone saying its not official numbers is probably wrong

sure they are still selling mop also. So final numbers will get higher but 2.7 mil in first week most probably day 1 isnt bad and is in line with where bc was first day. 

Cataclysm sold 4.5 M?

Well WoW isn't what it used to be, that much is clear.  Closed wallets proved that.

2.7 Mil of 10 million? how is that for a US+EU market compared to the Asian market (since China does not buy expansions).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

WoW will be like the Energizer bunny, it will keep going and going as long as it's making money. Look at Everquest, they keep making xpansions for it and it's 13 years old with a MUCH smaller playerbase. 2.7 million may not be the best  and may even sell less than the other xpansions, but they are still making the money hand over fist and it will keep making it.

All MMO's eventually come to an end, but only when they are going to start costing instead of making money. It's nothing personal against us players, it's just business. CoH is the latest big name to be going down and it was my first jump into the MMO market. I will always remember it, but I hold no Ill will against them for closing it. WoW will go on for years to come as it will make the money like no other can. When it stops being a revenue generating machine, then Acti/Blizz might consider it.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Karteli is right about Asia market as they dont pay for expansions or subscriptions like we do.

Asia buy gametime and pay per hour, even if 1 person there log in for 1 second its counted as a fully paid 1 month sub :P

2.7 million means NA +EU it seems they lose heavy numbers on our side and gain more asia players wich also feels normal seeing they added panda's and a asia themed world.

Still good sales as i expected ALOT worse after all the broken promises from blizzard making new contend faster only to let people pay for 10 months without any contend updates.

Also this means 700k box sales and 2 million digital sales give or take.
    This also means USA + Europe contain only 3 million players in total and Asia 7 million players.
    Compared to Cataclysm this is a huge loss for Blizzard on the western market.

Not to shavy from blizzard, dont think they deserve it, but hey who am i :)

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

It´s cute when people that supposedly are over WoW for years now, spend literally hours talking about it or trying to bash it every week of their lives.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Truelevel
    How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?

No because pretty soon everyone will have leveled up all the needed faction and then be on the sidelines waiting once every 9 months for the next patch.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Truelevel How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?
    No because pretty soon everyone will have leveled up all the needed faction and then be on the sidelines waiting once every 9 months for the next patch.

This is what made alot of people rage quit, after the promise from Blizzard to push out contend faster and more frequently.
    Instead they lied and let people pay for 10 months without any serious contend update.
    Combine this with all the rage over the panda's and catering to the asia market and you see why they sold 2.7 mill in 1 week instead of 4 million compared to Cataclysmn.

Its still a massive number tough wich i dint realy expected, but they are way lower then Cataclysm and thats a bad sign for Blizzard.
    We all know MMO's sky rocket in a patch / expansion and bleed dry in the months after that.

Q4 will be something alot of stock holders are interested in as we can see how long retention MoP has.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Slampig

Why couldn't they? If SOE can keep pumping out expansions for EverQuest I don't see why Blizzard can't keep putting out new expansions for  their game as well.

Agreed, but the quality of EQs expansions do have dropped with time. A more relevant question would be how they plan to keep the quality up and better the game instead of making it worse which very easily happens to MMOs after a couple of expansions.

Constantly raising the levelcap also tend to mess up things, you move through the existing zones so fast that anything before the latest expansion loose point and becomes a meaningless tutorial you play for 2 weeks.

Those are this risk with too many expansions but too few might lead to people getting bored and leave, it is kinda damned if you do and damned if you dont...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by kalinis

Cataclysm sold 4.5 M?

Well WoW isn't what it used to be, that much is clear.  Closed wallets proved that.

2.7 Mil of 10 million? how is that for a US+EU market compared to the Asian market (since China does not buy expansions).

Cata sold 3,3 million copies the first week, 4,4 total. Still a dissapointment for Blizzard and fans here who thought MOP would outsell Cata but the first weeks sales i about 80% of what cata had.

I also wonder how long retention this Expansion has, many people dislike daily quests and its a chore to run them each day.
    Will this expansion last longer or shorter ?
    And 1 major thing Blizzard should be doing is stop lying to their playerbase and do what they promised.

Faster contend updates, Guildwars 2 is on their heels wich creates pressure for Blizzard and thats good for both Arenanet and Blizzard, pushing the limits.
    In the end its a win win for us the players :)
    I have no intention to ever play WoW again, but more competition = more quality and thats what benefits us :)

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by kostoslav
    Playing WoW is not cool anymore. Cool kids play LoL now.

Though at some time in their life they will unfortunately come to the realisation that "appearing cool on the internet" will not get them laid.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Eir_S

To put it into better perspective:

Units sold by expansion:

Vanilla(2004)

240,000 within the first 24 hours

The Burning Crusade

2.4 million within the first 24 hours
        3.5 million within the month

Wrath of the Lich King

2.8 million within the first 24 hours

Cataclysm

3.3 million within the first 24 hours
        4.7 million within the month

Mists of Panderia

2.7 million within the first week

Subscriber Base Timeline

DEC 2005 - 5 million
        JUL 2007 - 8 million
        JAN 2008 - Over 10 million
        OCT 2010 - Over 12 million
        May 2011 - 10.3 million
        AUG 2012 - 9.1 million
        OCT 2012 - Over 10 million

As anyone can see MoP has fallen short of evry expansion that preceeds it. Take into account that 3Q reports that 1.1 million subscribers canceled accounts and its not looking good.  We all know that Blizzard releases statistics when they find it to thier benefit.

Lets not forget that though MoP may have 10 million subscribers right now, it is a fair bet that come January when the yearly D3 sub is up for many that that number will fall by alot more than many may realize.

(Thanks to Reddit for the stats :D)

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Slampig

Why couldn't they? If SOE can keep pumping out expansions for EverQuest I don't see why Blizzard can't keep putting out new expansions for  their game as well.

Exactly. As long they make money, Wow will continue to pump up content. And after all this years I was never bored with any expansion. Actually every expansion was able to pump in a lot of fresh air and keep me busy for up to half year before leveled all my alts or needed detour for other reasons. With any game out there is best to quit for some time after maybe few months to keep interest fresh and to try other games. Wow, swtor, gw2, rift, ... will sure keep me busy for many many years to come.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The game is eight years old did you really think it would never decline. Which other 8 year old game can claim to do even half as well  and it is beating the bloomers off most current games. Shame on you for trying to to cast this as anything but an unmitigated success. Seriously though they really make a lot of money.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I think MOP launched at a bit of an inopportune time, what with DS3, TSW to a lesser extent, and GW2 releasing right in front of it. (and some other good single player titles if I recall correctly, I don't follow that market much)

I think many WOW vets are currently tied up in some other titles right now, but fully intend to play MOP once they get some free time in their schedule.

For many WOW players, they know it won't take long to burn through the new levels and jump on the gear grind treadmill again, so there's not quite the same rush.  I'll bet over a bit longer period of time MOP sales will catch up to Cata's and it certainly will make Blizz a bunch of money.

My son and his 5 friends were all avid WOW players, but right now not one of them is currently playing nor bought the expansion.

But they are thinking about it.  One or two are trying to coax the others, and the consensus seems to be maybe around Christmas break, since they are all too busy right now with school and other activities.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

The game is 8 years old people. There comes a point where you can not expect every expansion to always outside the previous expansion. What would that say for WoW if every expansion sold more or 2x as many copies as the previous expansion? You would be looking at a game that would virtually never die if that was the case.

In all reality 2.7 million copies in even 1 week is freakin amazing. Most MMO's in general would die to sell that many copies an increase its subscription numbers 8 years into its life cycle.

When its all said and done I have no doubt that MoP will sell over 4 million copies within the next 3 months. Most MMOs in general would die to sell 4 million copies of an expansion.

One thing also to take into account MoP is not a required expansion to play the game. If your into just arenas MoP is not required to do arenas, rated bgs, dungeons, ect. If you wish to do the latest raid content that you will need to have MoP but not everyone is into raiding.