Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First person MMORPGS, what do you think of the concept?

124»

Comments

• chrno7686chrno7686 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I resent the suggestion that everyone that prefers 3rd person wants to look round corners and are some sort of bad players.

I started gaming playing games that were in 3rd person view that were very tactical and took real skill just as much as an FPS would.

I personally feel more immersed in 3rd person, in most games in first person all I can see is my hands floating in front of me (why?) and I have no legs. In real life I can see my nose, my torso, my shoulders, my legs, my feet, my clothes, I have peripheral vision and surround sound hearing! Playing in FPS games I feel like a floating gun and hands and totally disconnected from everything. Skyrim was OK at first person view but mostly because there 3rd person view was so clunky and horrible first person was the only way to play it.

Until stuff like fully directional sounds, 3 monitor set ups and Track IR headgear becomes the complete norm I would much perfer to stick with 3rd person.

Yes that's the only reason 1st person was viable in eq1. The third person was so clunky and hard to use that it wasn't worth it. Lots of people play MMOs for that carrot and stick to make their character better, wether its in stats or appearance (how cash shops make money). I hated that I could never see my character in eq1 unless I wanted to play in it's awful 3rd person version. The immersion isn't really any more in 1st than third, and it makes it a lot harder to design detailed bosses, with interesting abilities. I'd rather not go back to 1st person if I could ever have that option tbh.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I resent the suggestion that everyone that prefers 3rd person wants to look round corners and are some sort of bad players.

I started gaming playing games that were in 3rd person view that were very tactical and took real skill just as much as an FPS would.

I personally feel more immersed in 3rd person, in most games in first person all I can see is my hands floating in front of me (why?) and I have no legs. In real life I can see my nose, my torso, my shoulders, my legs, my feet, my clothes, I have peripheral vision and surround sound hearing! Playing in FPS games I feel like a floating gun and hands and totally disconnected from everything. Skyrim was OK at first person view but mostly because there 3rd person view was so clunky and horrible first person was the only way to play it.

Until stuff like fully directional sounds, 3 monitor set ups and Track IR headgear becomes the complete norm I would much perfer to stick with 3rd person.

So it's more immersive to stare at your own back?

Aside from that I didn't think people were slamming third person. most of it has been that third person generally pertforms better for the average player. You can take that as an insult if you want, but it's not. It's fust a fact.

Larger field of view, can see things outside of one's natural field of view (like over hills, behind walls, your own back), and unless the game has a proper setup for first person cameras, more visual input on player actions.

It's just an inherent sapect of third person that it will make the game easier simply by merit of convenience. No meaning to how a game plays. Using third person camera 'tactically' needs a bit of context.

Aside from that, and aside from my first question which was primarily in jest. I'll ask the same thing I asked another. Have you ever played Mount & Blade?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I played EQ almost 100% first person.  Loved it in that game.  Of course while fighting or shooting videos I would go into one of the 3rd person views.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Deivos

Sure, at least I see how I look, armor i wear, weapons I carry, ... 

Aside from that I didn't think people were slamming third person. most of it has been that third person generally pertforms better for the average player. You can take that as an insult if you want, but it's not. It's fust a fact.

1st person is much easyier for programmers and this is main reason have been mainly games in this perspective.  

Larger field of view, can see things outside of one's natural field of view (like over hills, behind walls, your own back), and unless the game has a proper setup for first person cameras, more visual input on player actions.

So is completely natural to you  watching in 1st person to see only tips of hands or point of staff? Looking this moment around in room through my eyes and see much much more. Not 3rd, do not see my shoulders, but see my torso and all pretty wide look around. Well ... If I put (pretty big, oversized, with lateral material non transparent) scuba diving mask or astronaut scafander then sure I'm pretty close to 1st person view.

Have you ever played Mount & Blade?

Nope, should have? :-)

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Deivos

Sure, at least I see how I look, armor i wear, weapons I carry, ... 

1st person is much easyier for programmers and this is main reason have been mainly games in this perspective.  

So is completely natural to you  watching in 1st person to see only tips of hands or point of staff? Looking this moment around in room through my eyes and see much much more. Not 3rd, do not see my shoulders, but see my torso and all pretty wide look around. Well ... If I put (pretty big, oversized, with lateral material non transparent) scuba diving mask or astronaut scafander then sure I'm pretty close to 1st person view.

Have you ever played Mount & Blade?

Nope, should have? :-)

Well lets answer in sequence. 

First. Good for you. Contextually I enjoy third person as well, but I have a hard time thinking staring at someone's back can really make you feel like that character.

First versus third person camera angles really aren't any more easy or difficult to create the code for.

For first person view, two things. One, I'm not about to argue that first person damages field of view. I accept that much. You'd need extra screens to regain peripherial. However, that's also why I mentioned bringing up other aspects like audio cues for things off screen as well as visual markers for things out of line of sight.

As for Mount & Blade. Yes, you really should. I honestly think every person out there should own Mount & Blade Warbands as part of their gaming collection.

In this case however it's because it's an example of a first person medieval action game, and provides functioning examples of how they implemented the camera to overcome many of the gripes you hold. Won't entirely solve the lack of peripherial vision unless you have multiple monitors, but at least there's a third person optional you can toggle between if you really need.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

My MMO career was born in first person view ala EQ1

I loved it,as you get the feeling youre looking through your characters eyes.A lot of times I still play in first person view when playing todays MMO's.