Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unholy Wars : What we know so far

Comments

• nimbuszero2nimbuszero2 Member Posts: 43

What I know so far is that if this game didn't get a completely GUI and graphical overhaul, I'm not touching it. I could've tolerated the original if one of those two things had been acceptable, but both were horrid. Gameplay videos, now!

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by nimbuszero2

What I know so far is that if this game didn't get a completely GUI and graphical overhaul, I'm not touching it. I could've tolerated the original if one of those two things had been acceptable, but both were horrid. Gameplay videos, now!

I feel the same as you on this one and will not be pre-ordering anything from AV as they tend to streach the truth all the time.

Bandit

Asbo

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I wonder if Goblin Shaman and GPS will make a comeback? Anyone remember those guys? But seriously... one of the great things about Darkfall is that ability to be an individual, to stand out above the rest. Be it by infamy, notoriety, comedy, or skill. I have never seen a game where players can rise to an almost celebrity status as they can in Darkfall. Lets hope that the new version still fosters that sort of environment because it really is unique.
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

Wtf. I agree with you Biskop. Now that´s a first. ;) But I do agree. From what I read so far bout DF:UW it seems to be more or less the same as the first, but in better looking cloths. I prolly gonna try it though, but for me to stay, there needs to be more to it then the biggest PVP deathmatch out there. But I´m going into this with a opened mind, and hope AV can suprise me.

Nice, perhaps there is hope for world peace after all... :D

As for the rest of your post, I have to say it looks like DF:UW will be more than just a reskinning of the old game. Since they're changing some of the core systems, it will play in a very different way and hopefully be a lot better in certain aspects - while keeping the fundamentals which made the original game so good.

So it's not really a sequel and not really a reskinning, but something in between - 2.0 is a pretty good description I think.

What worries me the most though is that it seems like they're adding some sort of isolated "newbie island" instead of implementing a more dynamic security system in the open world (like in EVE which has the perfect system imho). I think the game will suffer if you have this artificial barrier between "newbies" and the rest of the world - it would be much better if you started in "high-sec" (low risk, low rewards) and then have this optional and gradual move towards "null-sec" (high risk, high reward).

It's not a good idea to make people "learn" the game in a 100% safe environment and then toss them to the wolves. Risk vs reward is a very important aspect of sandbox gameplay, I can't believe developers still don't get this. Both DF1 and MO alienated a lot of potential players because their security systems suck balls and only cater to the 1% hardcore PKs. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by nimbuszero2

Well you will be happy to know that it got a complete GUI overhall and a graphical update..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=283570351752037&set=a.282689715173434.60015.281399061969166&type=1&theater

Yes its not up to the stadnards of todays SP and maybe not quite there with AAA mmorpg titles but it does appear to be better than the origional..

• Rorschach1797Rorschach1797 Member Posts: 19

Im so excited. can´t remember that i was ever that excited about a "new" game.

Some ppl said they wont touch the game if AV doesn´t change the GUI. There are no vids out yet but you can see the new UI on Screenshots. Also the new Bank System.

• Rorschach1797Rorschach1797 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Yes its not up to the stadnards of todays SP and maybe not quite there with AAA mmorpg titles but it does appear to be better than the origional..

But all the other games out there are instanced Crap. In DF u have one big World where u can go from the Northern Part down to the most southern part without stupid loading screens

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Rorschach1797

But all the other games out there are instanced Crap. In DF u have one big World where u can go from the Northern Part down to the most southern part without stupid loading screens

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes DF unique. No other game has such a huge, seamless world - with the exception of Vanguard perhaps which, truth be told, separates the world into three continents with loading screens in between. DF's dungeons are instanced however while VG's aren't. 

It's funny though, we keep hearing from AAA devs that making open worlds is so hard and not doable at all, hence all the corridor-styled, rail-like "worlds" they keep selling us...

But DF is here and proves them all wrong; AV built their own engine and made possibly the largest map in any MMO, you can run across it without a single loading screen, and you have (or had at least, lol) battles with hundreds of players fighting it out with real-time, twitch-based combat.

So it always makes me smile when I hear guys like the TESO devs claiming that making an ES-styled MMO is impossible, despite them having 100x more $ than AV had they still have to feed us the same instanced, tab-targeting crap...

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Biskop

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes DF unique. No other game has such a huge, seamless world - with the exception of Vanguard perhaps which, truth be told, separates the world into three continents with loading screens in between. DF's dungeons are instanced however while VG's aren't. 

It's funny though, we keep hearing from AAA devs that making open worlds is so hard and not doable at all, hence all the corridor-styled, rail-like "worlds" they keep selling us...

But DF is here and proves them all wrong; AV built their own engine and made possibly the largest map in any MMO, you can run across it without a single loading screen, and you have (or had at least, lol) battles with hundreds of players fighting it out with real-time, twitch-based combat.

So it always makes me smile when I hear guys like the TESO devs claiming that making an ES-styled MMO is impossible, despite them having 100x more $ than AV had they still have to feed us the same instanced, tab-targeting crap...

This... eaither AV are some beast genius coders who've made a state of the art engine to do this OR other companies lie to you because it's too much hardwork for them even with all their funding.

Down with instanced worlds, bring on the seamless landscapes.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah exactly :)

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I like what I'm reading, and I think I already know more about this title than I did about DF in just a few short posts I've read.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'll be playing DFUW come November.

I'm even willing to pre-order......

(gah...I'm desperate for a new, fun MMORPG)

Right there with you lol

Maybe this thread should be stickied?

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455

What worries me the most though is that it seems like they're adding some sort of isolated "newbie island" instead of implementing a more dynamic security system in the open world (like in EVE which has the perfect system imho). I think the game will suffer if you have this artificial barrier between "newbies" and the rest of the world - it would be much better if you started in "high-sec" (low risk, low rewards) and then have this optional and gradual move towards "null-sec" (high risk, high reward).

What Aventurine was looking at about a year ago was making the "NPC" controlled areas of the map much smaller, with better guard tower coverage.  They also introduced new player dungeons underneath the racial NPC capital cities, intentionally to provide new players with a place to play that was harder for PKs to get to.

The security model is actually based very much on EVE, except it was (when last seen) very much all or nothing.  In the NPC cities and towns, guard towers did precisely what Concord do in highsec - you break the rules, you get zapped.  Only the zapping was a lot more survivable than Concord.  Aventurine were discussing reducing the size of areas covered by the towers (which has happened with the NPC city redesign, 18 or so starter towns shrinking to 6 or so), but also increasing the range of towers and increasing the power of the towers.  Very much like CCP did, when they made it essentially impossible to get away from Concord.  Such changes (assuming they make it in), will not create an "artificial barrier", but they will continue to provide a low-reward area for play for all players who wish to mostly avoid pvp. 

The other system Darkfall 1.0 introduced was the "newbie halo", where as long as a new player remained in the new player's area (you could choose to leave it), the player could not be attacked by any other player as a pvp action (nor could they for example ride a horse).  This system actually worked well, and cut down significantly on the problem of new players being faced with pvp "right out of the character creation screen" while they were still learning to use the UI and controls, which actually did used to happen at times.  

All in all, we expect the "enhanced new player experience" to in effect mean DF having the quivalent of a Highsec area for new players, which any player of that faction who is not a criminal can visit.  Combined with newbie halos of suitable duration and much better quest instructions, it should work out well.  Only time will tell! 

• ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97

While AV has talked about a lot of enhancements coming soon for df1. They never came. The only thing that new players and its playerbase can really expect in UW is exactly whats in the QAs and on the main webpage http://darkfallonline.com/uw/

• Massive Land and Naval PvP Battles: Thousands of players can participate simultaneously in wars and sieges on land and sea, in real-time, on a single server.
    • A Huge, Seamless World: The world of Agon is a large open world that consists of both land and water and gives the freedom to players to uncover its hidden secrets.
    • Flexible Roles: Choose role at will, switching from meat shield to master mage to benevolent healer. Players can switch between roles, skills, spells, and ability boosters on the fly. Develop your skills in all roles and experience the game in a multitude of different ways over time or specialize in a single role and be the one your friends depend on to fulfill that calling.
    • Full Loot: You keep what you kill. Players can loot all of the goods from a slain enemy, and vice versa.
    • Persistence: Players can affect the fabric of the game world, constructing and fortifying cities across Agon and building empires that last as long as they can defend them

From DF1 to UW the only new key feature are "roles" i.e classes. Hopefully they will release more and more info soon as they only have 6 weeks until the release date.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

What do you mean DF's dungeons are instanced?

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

This is a hard call. I didn't like the first game because the graphics was a little outdated (how can anyone play the Orc? I couldn't see over my shoulder).

However I could still live with that if the inventory/UI was up to scratch. What I am reading gives me hope that this may be a great game if enough people play it. 

But if I find myself dragging and dropping 100's of items and seeing a messed up inventory/bank, then it would be hard for me to stick to this.

I am really hoping this is my hardcore pvp sandbox game I play alongside GW2.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

They said they did change some of the inventory things

Finally, we have made item management much neater and more streamlined with new stacking features, a dedicated weapon and item bar, and a reduced number of spell reagents.

Kind of minimal answer but just tells you they did at least think about it.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    The one thing that worries me is that there are still a lot of things up in the air with the launch date about a month away.

The way I look at it... $30 is not that bad. 

Launch of DF1 was best time I have had in an MMO since I quit EQ.  I plan to play at launch.  And I hope the game turns out better than I hope and expect.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

So what are they doing to make races equal?  Just making all the hitboxes the same regardless of the character model?

It sounds like bunnyhopping is still in, but you go unconscious if you do it too much.  Should have just made it one bounce.  I wonder if lop-sided world phsyics is still in (begone etc.).

The role system seems really generic.  I hope that mages won't get access to every mage spell and that there is a lot of specialization in each role.  I'm really curious if there will even be any attempt to balance mages vs. other roles 1v1.

Removal of rays is great.  Ray scripts were really annoying.  I hope that whirlwind is removed or fixed... auto-hit whirlwind was really lame.

What do they mean by macroing won't work any more?  How will you gain skill in spells that are non-offensive?  Can't these always be macroed some how?

I feel like some questions were answered but a lot was left open.  It's hard to believe anything Tasos says as is, but especially hard to believe it launches in 7 weeks or so and no beta is announced?

Originally posted by psykobilly

So what are they doing to make races equal?  Just making all the hitboxes the same regardless of the character model?

It sounds like bunnyhopping is still in, but you go unconscious if you do it too much.  Should have just made it one bounce.  I wonder if lop-sided world phsyics is still in (begone etc.).

The role system seems really generic.  I hope that mages won't get access to every mage spell and that there is a lot of specialization in each role.  I'm really curious if there will even be any attempt to balance mages vs. other roles 1v1.

Removal of rays is great.  Ray scripts were really annoying.  I hope that whirlwind is removed or fixed... auto-hit whirlwind was really lame.

What do they mean by macroing won't work any more?  How will you gain skill in spells that are non-offensive?  Can't these always be macroed some how?

I feel like some questions were answered but a lot was left open.  It's hard to believe anything Tasos says as is, but especially hard to believe it launches in 7 weeks or so and no beta is announced?

I think I read you can choose like a primary and secondary spell tree.  But you cannot do fire and water... or earth and air... you can't do the opposite type.

I am curious too about the role system.  I hope they put limits on the roles to make people more specialized. 

As far as macroing won't work... I am sure there are ways around it but they probably have something implemented to prevent it. 

As far as races that seemed confusing they seemed to sort of state they are making it equal but then at the same time they said do not let the benefits of one make you not play what you want... so guess we will see.

They had good ideas for the different races it was just a lot never got implemented which meant those races did not have advantages but did receive disadvantages.

• ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by phantomghost

Launch of DF1 was best time I have had in an MMO since I quit EQ.  I plan to play at launch.  And I hope the game turns out better than I hope and expect.

If you still have your DF1 account info you won't need to pay the 29.99 client fee.

So whatever the subscription fee is , is all you will need to pay for DF UW. So possibly only 9.99-14.99 to try it out for a month to see if you like it  or not. Also the first month or 2 will probably be a lot of fun as well.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

everyone interested in DFUW should be following

dfstuff.com

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

Originally posted by ChaosChest
    Originally posted by phantomghost

If you still have your DF1 account info you won't need to pay the 29.99 client fee.

So whatever the subscription fee is , is all you will need to pay for DF UW. So possibly only 9.99-14.99 to try it out for a month to see if you like it  or not. Also the first month or 2 will probably be a lot of fun as well.

Yeah I got both accounts I used (EU and NA account still)

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by corpusc

dfstuff.com

I agree, but I made the site so I'm biased. :p

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Falesh

Originally posted by corpusc

dfstuff.com

I agree, but I made the site so I'm biased. :p

8)